Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest FA Disappointment: Josh Norman

NoVaSkins21

This, IMO, is the latest in the long line of big name, high-profile signings who has not panned out.  When he signed, I was expecting at least some INTs for TDs and him to constantly be on the opposing team #1 WRs.  Instead, what we've gotten is him getting badly beaten at times and he's no better than a #2 CB.  He's getting paid #1 CB money to be a #2.  I thought he would start traveling with the #1 WR when Barry was fired, but that hasn't changed with Manusky as the DC.  This guy is quite the talker, but he's done very little to back it up in his almost 2 seasons here.  I know the scheme here is different than it was in Carolina, but I expected some big plays from him.  He'll probably start playing like a #1 when he's contract is up, but by then it will be too late.  Very disappointing.  SMH!

@SAli457180

You'll get a free pass on this one, but read rule 8 and adjust your title accordingly. :)

Take this line, for instance:

So, regardless of the forum, if your thread title is simply "Santana Moss" or any other person's name and nothing else, you may find yourself unable to post. 

A reminder to everyone: you're supposed to know and follow the rules. Right.:rofl89:

:D

I have found myself a little disappointed with Josh Norman lately...I'm not sure if he has some lingering effects from his injury earlier in the year or what, but he hasn't seemed like the same player the last several weeks

I don't have a problem with a CB playing one side of the field and not traveling, because that in theory can work.  It should allow us to shade coverages to the other side since Norman should be lockdown on his, but that hasn't exactly been working

He has had a few opportunities to make big plays for us

The one that stands out the most recently is...

3rd and 3 at WSH 27

(7:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) D.Prescott pass short right to T.Williams to WAS 17 for 10 yards (J.Norman).

Just can't get beat like that by Terrance Wiliams...I had a little bit of hope at that point we could pull out some miracle, but that one was a dagger

Not to mention...

1st and 10 at MIN 47

(9:48 - 1st) C.Keenum pass deep right to S.Diggs pushed ob at WAS 2 for 51 yards (J.Norman).

That one seemed to set the stage for that whole Vikings game...We were up 7-0 at the time and that started the barrage of Vikings just going up and down the field with ease.

Ultimately, I really like Josh Norman...he is a great competitor and I know he's going to give his all, but I would like just a shade more

I do like that he has forced several fumbles with the Peanut Punch

Also, I'd like to add that Josh Norman is the least of our worries on the defense

"Smh"?  "Very disappointing!"??

You just want to be miserable I guess.  At best, I'll give you the last month, he's seemed invisible (then again that can mean the db is shutting his side down).  But the team has been a mess.  

He had huge plays last year, and this year he's been tops in some stat about his side of the field or something ( the one that says you don't hear his name much cuz no one goes at him).

Please don't lump him in with haynesworth and company, That's absurd.

Josh Norman is one of the least targeted DBs in the NFL and for good reason. You can remember a few times he's given up a catch? Of course you can. They are few.

Main reason he doesn't travel is because Fuller has been all pro in the slot, and Breeland will be making money close to Norman next year. 

Our biggest issues on D since the injuries is pressure in the QB and our LBs/S in coverage

4 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

This, IMO, is the latest in the long line of big name, high-profile signings who has not panned out.  When he signed, I was expecting at least some INTs for TDs and him to constantly be on the opposing team #1 WRs.  

I could swear the main duty of the DB is to prevent the WR from catching the ball. In this scenario that is a wasted down for the opposing team. If the CB gets an INT that is a bonus obviously. By this action we get the ball back and have another chance of scoring. Tackling comes after the catch to prevent the WR from getting more yards. I could be wrong though with the limited football knowledge I have.

As for Norman not getting TDs, I blame that on Gruden. I am not sure why Gruden is not using him in the slot or on a skinny post route. It is like Norman is MIA on that side of the ball. 

He’s got one real negative so far as far as I’m concerned, and that’s the lack of picks. 

Outside of that he’s been a stud. He had a bad game against the Vikes for his standards, and he’s had some bad plays here and there this last month in general, but it’s no surprise it’s come after his injury. 

That, and a lack of any consistent interior pass rush from our Dline has affected everyone on the defense, including the OLBs. It’s amazing just how drastic the difference is when we had Ioannidis and Allen destroying it upfront versus what we’ve got now. Everyone was feasting. :/ 

I know I sound like a broken record, but if there’s any position to go all out on with the defense, it’s interior Dline. They change everything and are a factor in every play simply by virtue of being closest to the ball at the snap. 

It’s so ridiculously simple and obvious, yet, so easy to lose sight of. 

Archived