Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

24 minutes ago, Destino said:

how can people see **** like this and not be willing to change anything?  

A combination of lots of not wanting to lose an argument, and lots of carefully orchestrated help. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tshile said:

Not trying to pick here. Just wanted to follow up. It seems like this story has changed 

https://www.sbsun.com/2022/05/24/gunman-kills-at-least-19-children-at-texas-elementary-school/

Cbp has said their agent wasn’t in the area to investigate anything just happened to be there, and the engagement is a bit different than the tweet implies. 

yeah. Actually the good guy with the gun did about the best he could. It just wasn’t as good as we’d prefer. He happened to be in the area and he did what everyone of us hope someone would do. 

That’s not an endorsement for any specific idea on what to do about these tragedies. But that guy deserves credit for doing his job. And caring. 

Something tells me that if the "good guy with a gun" was a cashier at Taco Bell instead of a border control agent, things turn out differently.

• Like 2

Don’t often post here much any more.

Last night at the dinner table, I had a brief discussion with my two boys who are in kindergarten and first grade. Basically, I just asked them if they knew what they were supposed to do it a bad person were in the school. They turn off the lights, close the blinds, lock the doors and sit in the middle of the room as quietly as possible. That’s it. They know what they are supposed to do and frankly it’s about as useful as the old atomic bomb drills where you’d hide under your desk. They’re just sitting ducks ready for the slaughter. It’s sad.

It’s also infuriating.

This country has created such a “me first” culture that we don’t care about the greater good over our own self benefit. That’s why kids will continue to be slaughtered. That’s why our children have to watch horrific videos of murderers entering their schools in first grade.

People don’t care about these dead kids and you’re a fool if you believe otherwise. They just throw their hands up and say, “I wish something will change”.

NOTHING IS GOING TO ****ING CHANGE.

Your guns aren’t going to protect you our your loved ones. Your selfishness is what keeps getting them killed. That’s all. See you all the next time I feel like venting, which will be next week at the rate we are going.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

What do you feel frustrated about?

I dont know.  Im not sure i even am frustrated.  I feel more apathetic than anything.  I guees that we are all wasting time yelling at clouds.  Nothing is going to happen.  We will all move on and this school will become a name we know like Sandy Hook, Parkland, etc.  But that's it.  

7 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I was surprised to be the first one who posted about the incident in this thread, probably about 4:15. A friend had texted me about the incident and said that 14 had died, but the initial reports online I saw said two dead and 14 injured. I then turned on each of the major cable news networks and not one at the time was covering the story. That was stunning to me.

I first heard about it from an Adam Schefter tweet.  Had to turn on three different news channels before I found one covering it.

21 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Just for clarity, that's since 2009 not just this year...

EDIT: and apparently it's the number of school shootings between 2009 and 2018...so it doesn't include the last 4 years. 😐

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/us/school-shooting-us-versus-world-trnd/index.html

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Last night at the dinner table, I had a brief discussion with my two boys who are in kindergarten and first grade. Basically, I just asked them if they knew what they were supposed to do it a bad person were in the school. They turn off the lights, close the blinds, lock the doors and sit in the middle of the room as quietly as possible. That’s it. They know what they are supposed to do and frankly it’s about as useful as the old atomic bomb drills where you’d hide under your desk. They’re just sitting ducks ready for the slaughter. It’s sad.

my first grader asked if we did these drills. 

the answer is no. But. I’m also not entirely sure lockdown drills are pitched as “well sometimes a person comes in with a gun and tried to massacre all of you…” , pretty sure that age is restricted to something like “bad person around, we do this and wait until the police fix it” sort of thing. 

and so I didn’t want to go into why we didn’t do them, but now they have to, and so I decided to just say yes. 

but the point is through the conversation it was revealed a girl in class had light up shoes and they wouldn’t stop going off during the drill and as such it was a big deal this girls shoes were going off (cause first graders act like first graders - you know?)

and all I could think of is that the most likely thing to change at this point, is that children start refusing to wear light up shoes cause they don’t want to deal with it from their classmates while doing a lockdown drill. 

which is both infuriating and sad. 

• Sad 1

Yeah, my generation never hid under their desks to protect them from atomic war or sheltered in the dark hoping a gun man chooses a different room. I was thinking about the old joke, "In my day we had to walk uphill through five miles of snow to go to school." Today's kids have that beat.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

So far I have opted to not even tell my first grader about this.  My wife thinks we should and I think he's too young to get it and it might scare him.  And he loves school and is sad it is ending soon.  

I can't believe we even have to think about this :(

• Like 2

Have they said how the shooter got into the building?  My daughters school keeps all exterior doors locked during the school day.  They have to buzz you in if you show up early to take your kid to a doctors appointment or something.  I assumed that was common practice these days, given the shooter drills.  

• Like 2

Just now, Destino said:

Have they said how the shooter got into the building?  My daughters school keeps all exterior doors locked during the school day.  They have to buzz you in if you show up early to take your kid to a doctors appointment or something.  I assumed that was common practice these days, given the shooter drills.  

I don't know how he got in, but I believe I heard he got to the school at 11:30am.  

My son's school has lunch/recess that starts at 11:25am so half the kids are outside while the other half are inside eating, but I'm guessing the entrances they use to get in/out of the school at that time isn't locked and buzzed in like the main entrance is during the day.

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

same except almost all tasks are handled at the door. Dropping or picking something up? They have a table for that and they won’t open the doors while you’re near. Picking up? You stay outside. Dropping off - same thing. 

The only time I’ve been allowed in was when my child was in the nursing station freaking out cause he had blood all over him (head wound from playground) and it wouldn’t stop bleeding and they called me to come in and calm him down so they could better evaluate him. 

Side note: he was quite angry that having blood everywhere resulted in mom and dad saying “you’re cleaned up, no need for stitches, no concussion, back to class boy.”

13 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

thoughts and prayers.

Yeah, your right, I forgot. The democrats get outplayed on everything. What a bunch of hapless losers.

I agree there is only one side interested in doing something but I think we have all heard enough talk and Im not going to give them a free pass because of the other side. It’s time to go ballistic. Biden can issue executive orders tomorrow. Can they overturned in courts? Maybe, but in the mean time the flow of guns will have been stopped. He can issue executive orders one at a time. Dragging it out. Bringing the issue up every week. But he doesn’t.

I've thought about this angle ever since Tя☭mp trampled over controls on presidential emergency powers. I would hope Biden would consider it. It will probably cost the Dems the midterms, but they're likely to get drubbed in those races anyway. If the best we can do is having gun control during Dem administrations, it's better than nothing.

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Don’t often post here much any more.

It’s also infuriating.

This country has created such a “me first” culture that we don’t care about the greater good over our own self benefit. That’s why kids will continue to be slaughtered. That’s why our children have to watch horrific videos of murderers entering their schools in first grade.

People don’t care about these dead kids and you’re a fool if you believe otherwise. They just throw their hands up and say, “I wish something will change”.

NOTHING IS GOING TO ****ING CHANGE.

Your guns aren’t going to protect you our your loved ones. Your selfishness is what keeps getting them killed. That’s all. See you all the next time I feel like venting, which will be next week at the rate we are going.

Well, as the far-right loves to say, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of children and innocent people just trying to live their lives."

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

This doesn't sound like a case where he snuck into the school.

I'd guess the glass at most schools isn't bullet proof.  It sounds like he was already shooting before he got into the school.  It sounds like he'd engaged and shot two cops before even entering the school.

Easy enough if you are willing to walk up to a door shoot/break the glass and go in.  The doors at my kids schools are all still largely glass.

I read earlier that all younger victims were in the same 4th grade classroom and the shooter had barricaded himself within the classroom. It didn't mention access but I suspect a propped open door like most schools/places have. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Best I could find:

Soon after, police got a 911 call about a vehicle that had crashed near the school and someone armed with a rifle heading inside, Olivarez told CNN in an interview Wednesday morning. The man was wearing a "tactical vest carrier with no ballistic panels," Olivarez said.
Police responded and engaged the shooter before he got into the building, he said. Officers met the gunman's fire, he said; two were shot and expected to live.
The shooter then got into the building, where he barricaded himself inside a classroom and opened fire on the children and two teachers, Olivarez said, calling the act "complete evil."
With the shooter barricaded inside, officers were at a disadvantage, he said.
"There was not sufficient manpower at that time, and their primary focus was to preserve any further loss of life," he told CNN. "They started breaking windows around the school and trying to rescue, evacuate children and teachers while that was going on."
A specialized tactical team of local and federal officers arrived, forced its way into the classroom and shot the gunman dead, Olivarez said. One officer on the team was shot and injured and expected to survive.
Authorities continue to investigate the shooting and events that led to it, Olivarez told CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/25/us/uvalde-texas-elementary-school-shooting-wednesday/index.html

• Thanks 1

The shooting began to unfold in the late morning on Tuesday, when the local police department in Uvalde received a 911 call around 11:30 a.m. that a truck had crashed at Robb Elementary School and a man had emerged from it carrying a long rifle and a backpack.

At the school was at least one armed law enforcement officer from the Uvalde school district. That officer exchanged gunfire with the gunman, but the gunman was able to get past the officer, the official said, citing the initial reports.

The gunman then entered through a south door at the school. After he was inside, two officers from the Uvalde police department arrived on the scene, engaged the gunman and were immediately met with gunfire, the official said. Both were shot.

It appeared that the gunman was contained in one classroom at that time, and the officers were unable to enter it. He remained there until a tactical unit from the border patrol arrived and shot the gunman several times, killing him, the official said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/25/us/shooting-robb-elementary-uvalde.amp.html

Makes you wonder what the hell is going through someone's head when they target innocent young children. I mean, if you were being mocked at the high school you were attending, wouldn't you want to target those who bullying you? 

Ultimately a deranged person's mind never has much reasoning, but I still wonder. 

8 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Makes you wonder what the hell is going through someone's head when they target innocent young children. I mean, if you were being mocked at the high school you were attending, wouldn't you want to target those who bullying you? 

Ultimately a deranged person's mind never has much reasoning, but I still wonder. 

Easier to kill a lot of little children.

I think about the scene from Full metal jacket when he asks the gunner how he can shoot women and children and his response is “easy, you just don’t lead them as much.”