Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-1996-dunblane-massacre-pushed-uk-enact-stricter-gun-laws-180977221/

interesting article about what spurned gun reform in the UK. I didn’t realize it was so recent. A buy back program was successful to take in a lot of guns and ammo. It sounds crazy in the US but with the state of the economy this would be the time to do it. Beyond that, the process of buying guns in tbw US definitely needs to be reformed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

… and schools will never be that.  

56 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Because that's a prison. 

I don't understand why we can't jus implement what we are doing in inner city schools in every public school. 

Ain't no mass shooter running for room to room in DC or Chicago, it's always in the suburbs or rural areas that don't want their kids to feel like they are "learning in a prison".

I got used to going through metal detectors in DCPS, it's not like we aren't already implementing stronger physical security in some schools then others. 

Edited by Renegade7

1 minute ago, tshile said:

I don’t get it 

As you are well aware, Im a nerd, so i researched it. Both gun lovers and gun haters rank Virginia about the 14th most anti-gun state. Out of 50. So, no, not a gun state.  

https://www.az-defenders.com/best-states-for-gun-owners/ (38th least gun friendly state)

https://everytownresearch.org/rankings/ (14th most anti-gun state)

UVALDE, Texas — The teacher came to her door Wednesday evening, eyes puffy from hours of crying and almost no sleep.

“What do you want me to say?” she asked a reporter. “That I can’t eat? That all I hear are their voices screaming? And I can’t help them?”

“They’ve been practicing for this day for years,” the teacher said, referring to the active shooter exercises that have become as much a fixture of public education in America as math, science and reading. “They knew this wasn’t a drill. We knew we had to be quiet or else we were going to give ourselves away.”

As the children huddled under their desks, staying quiet as their wounded classmates wailed from down the hall, the teacher sat on the floor in the middle of the room. She tried to stay calm, she said. To be strong for them.

“I want you to say this in your article,” the teacher said before she pulled her screen door closed. “Our children did not deserve this. They were loved. Not only by their families, but their family at school.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teacher-uvalde-texas-describes-longest-35-minutes-life-rcna30571

• Sad 8

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

As you are well aware, Im a nerd, so i researched it. Both gun lovers and gun haters rank Virginia about the 14th most anti-gun state. Out of 50. So, no, not a gun state.  

https://www.az-defenders.com/best-states-for-gun-owners/ (38th least gun friendly state)

https://everytownresearch.org/rankings/ (14th most anti-gun state)

this reads like the issue is we don’t allow concealed carry without a permit, and we don’t allow baseless/dubious self defense claims when you use a gun. 

we absolutely allow reasonably justifiable  self defense. We are a shall issue state on Chp’s. When Virginia wanted to change some gun laws a few years back it stalled because many, many sheriffs publicly announced they would not enforce it. We have the Virginia defense league which for my money does a lot more than nra. 

and they’re ****ing everywhere. 

we have super basic requirements. It’s not a free for all like the ones that are supposedly better than ours. 

Edited by tshile

I mean, that’s pretty much the standard now if you haven’t been keeping up. 

reasonably justifiable  self defense” is the standard from 1800 english common law FFS. It is also the current standard for the most anti gun states. Pro gun states actively encourage shooting people (with some variance depending on your skin tone). 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

As more information comes out, this **** is infuriating:

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-44a7cfb990feaa6ffe482483df6e4683

Frustrated onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman’s rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, witnesses said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a Border Patrol team.

“Go in there! Go in there!” nearby women shouted at the officers soon after the attack began, said Juan Carranza, 24, who saw the scene from outside his house, across the street from Robb Elementary School in the close-knit town of Uvalde. Carranza said the officers did not go in.

Javier Cazares, whose fourth grade daughter, Jacklyn Cazares, was killed in the attack, said he raced to the school when he heard about the shooting, arriving while police were still gathered outside the building.

Upset that police were not moving in, he raised the idea of charging into the school with several other bystanders.

“Let’s just rush in because the cops aren’t doing anything like they are supposed to,” he said. “More could have been done.”

“They were unprepared,” he added.

He “barricaded himself by locking the door and just started shooting children and teachers that were inside that classroom,” Lt. Christopher Olivarez of the Department of Public Safety told CNN. “It just shows you the complete evil of the shooter.”

All those killed were in the same classroom, he said.

Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw told reporters that 40 minutes to an hour elapsed from when Ramos opened fire on the school security officer to when the tactical team shot him, though a department spokesman said later that they could not give a solid estimate of how long the gunman was in the school or when he was killed.

“The bottom line is law enforcement was there,” McCraw said. “They did engage immediately. They did contain (Ramos) in the classroom.”

Meanwhile, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said the Border Patrol agents had trouble breaching the classroom door and had to get a staff member to open the room with a key. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

So the cops where there during the shooting, couldn’t get through a locked door and then just considered him contained as he unloaded on a classroom and everyone in it. 

COOL COOL COOL 

Yo they were there for 40 minutes just ducking around while one girl died calling 911….They even got one guy to the ground who was determined to go in and stop it himself. What the **** 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1

The whole "blame the rap music/video games/movies" angle has gone completely out the window and makes no sense since we now live in a global economy/world.  

The same "gangsta rap" that we listen to in the USA is listened to all over the world.

The game Callof Duty and GTA games we play in the USA are play all over the world.

The same movies that are action packed with guns that we watch in the USA are watched all over the world.

Yet we are the ONLY ****ING COUNTRY where this **** is a regular occurence.

**** this makes me so angry/sad.

• Like 4

We're going to devolve into a society where one day everyone is constantly pointing an AR-15 at each other like a giant Mexican standoff. Wouldn't that make the NRA and Gun Manufacturers happy. A gun in every hand.

Elementary school children will open carry in the hallways on their way to class rooms barricaded with 4 inch steel plates. They will stop and greet the armed guard just outside the room. He is outfitted with surplus military gear. The screams of his fallen brothers still fresh on his mind after a fourth tour and honorable discharge. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Since the Grandma is still alive, if she recovers; maybe we can get a clue why her grandson did this. Apparently; she worked at that school at one time.

Apparently what set him off is that he wasn't allowed to graduate with the rest of his class.

7 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I want to know where his parents are. Have they been out of his life forever? Who did he interact with? Did he ever see a therapist? Need more info on the shooter, news services haven't provided much.

He lived with his grandma because of arguments he had with his Mom over internet usage (?), from what I read yesterday. No clue about his Father at all.