Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

14 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I’d just like to remind everyone that there is a separate Gun Control thread.

You right, jus seems a lot of folks are venting right now and need a minute before the same "what do we do about it conversations".

We jus had another elementary school shot up, little kids, man, even I had trouble reacting rationally to it now that I have two.

I'm not even sure better protecting schools is a gun control issue if it wasn't so obvious what we were talking about protecting schools from.  The fact nothing can pass to address that because it being "tied to gun control" is disturbing. 

I'd make the argument the mass shooting thing should be treated more like domestic terrorism then simply gun control.  Imagine if we treat these replacement theory schmucks like we do ISIS or Al-Qaeda?

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I’d just like to remind everyone that there is a separate Gun Control thread.

thoughts and prayers.

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Such as?

Yeah, your right, I forgot. The democrats get outplayed on everything. What a bunch of hapless losers.

I agree there is only one side interested in doing something but I think we have all heard enough talk and Im not going to give them a free pass because of the other side. It’s time to go ballistic. Biden can issue executive orders tomorrow. Can they overturned in courts? Maybe, but in the mean time the flow of guns will have been stopped. He can issue executive orders one at a time. Dragging it out. Bringing the issue up every week. But he doesn’t.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Yeah, your right, I forgot. The democrats get outplayed on everything. What a bunch of hapless losers.

So tell us exactly how you would have managed to get the votes. You made it sound pretty straightforward, so give us some insight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Good guys with guns didn't work? Obv we should arm everyone. Heck the kids too.

Not trying to pick here. Just wanted to follow up. It seems like this story has changed 

https://www.sbsun.com/2022/05/24/gunman-kills-at-least-19-children-at-texas-elementary-school/

A Border Patrol agent who was working nearby when the shooting began rushed into the school without waiting for backup and shot and killed the gunman, who was behind a barricade, according to a law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about it.

The agent was wounded but able to walk out of the school, the law enforcement source said.

Cbp has said their agent wasn’t in the area to investigate anything just happened to be there, and the engagement is a bit different than the tweet implies. 

yeah. Actually the good guy with the gun did about the best he could. It just wasn’t as good as we’d prefer. He happened to be in the area and he did what everyone of us hope someone would do. 

That’s not an endorsement for any specific idea on what to do about these tragedies. But that guy deserves credit for doing his job. And caring. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Go somewhere else troll.

Really?

Has GOP ever put a bill on the floor to address the mass shooting epidemic since Newtown?  If they put as much energy into that as they did getting rid of ACA, maybe this is a different conversation.  Couldn't replace ACA even when they had the power and votes to anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Really?

Has GOP ever put a bill on the floor to address the mass shooting epidemic since Newtown?  If they put as much energy into that as they did getting rid of ACA, maybe this is a different conversation.  Couldn't replace ACA even when they had the power and votes to anyway.

Not really. I am angry about the lack of creativity.  Bringing up the GOP as an excuse is pathetic.

Many Democrats don’t care about mass shootings until there’s a sound bite to be had.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/594223-democrats-show-little-appetite-for-bidens-call-for-gun-control/amp/

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Not really. I am angry about the lack of creativity.  Bringing up the GOP as an excuse is pathetic.

Many Democrats don’t care about mass shootings until there’s a sound bite to be had.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/594223-democrats-show-little-appetite-for-bidens-call-for-gun-control/amp/

Did you note in the article which party blocked EVERY bill. It's ****ing bizarre to say "bringing up the GOP as an excuse is pathetic" when they are the number 1 reason **** doesn't get done. Like, WTF are you even talking about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

The gun control thread would be a great place to talk about gun control

and general finger pointing on gun control 

Here, this is a link to it

so now you literally don’t have an excus

which is correct because I wrote it in text so eat it 

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

They've brought up plenty of bills before that got shot down, posting an article saying it not a top priority right now in the same breath as admiting the GOP has never proposed a bill to address this, nor explaining how to get get around them blocking everything, is disingenuous at best.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Imagine if we treat these replacement theory schmucks like we do ISIS or Al-Qaeda?

This 100%. Pull out the stops, bait them out, do whatever it takes. I like to believe that the powers that be may be coming around to it, but treating those people like terroist threats should have happened a decade so any response at this point is still late. 

Edited by Bloodytusk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not trying to pick here. Just wanted to follow up. It seems like this story has changed 

https://www.sbsun.com/2022/05/24/gunman-kills-at-least-19-children-at-texas-elementary-school/

Cbp has said their agent wasn’t in the area to investigate anything just happened to be there, and the engagement is a bit different than the tweet implies. 

yeah. Actually the good guy with the gun did about the best he could. It just wasn’t as good as we’d prefer. He happened to be in the area and he did what everyone of us hope someone would do. 

That’s not an endorsement for any specific idea on what to do about these tragedies. But that guy deserves credit for doing his job. And caring. 

I'd argue that this isn't a "good guy with a gun" situation. This is a trained law enforcement officer not some random Texan with a gun. 

.No one is opposed to police having guns or the CPB. We expect them to be armed. We expect them to be well-trained. We expect them to be able to act rationally when everything's crazy. We do object if they abuse or use force unnecessarily, but that's a different issue. Still, the good guy with the gun theory is that some random civilian will rise up like Batman to save the day. It's thinking what happens in movies will happen in real life. So, this is more the case of a law enforcement agent being close enough to act and engage to stop further damage.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

It’s also called “the gun control debate thread”

which is a clue 

Threads could be merged it wouldn't make a difference.

Everybody grieves in there own way, I agree in spirit that threads should stay on topic, but a bunch of little kids jus got mowed down again, so I'm not seeing much appetite for the appropriate place to have this conversation, not going to try to force it (I also linked to that thread, didn't stop anyone)

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

I don’t even think we can criticize that agent for anything. As far as I can tell he didn’t get involved until he heard shots from inside the school. 

Sounds like the man’s a hero. Cornered him and took him out by himself. And he took a bullet doing it.  Who knows how many lives he saved 

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'd argue that this isn't a "good guy with a gun" situation. This is a trained law enforcement officer not some random Texan with a gun. 

I get that and your post but the one I quoted was sort of direct at law enforcement. 

im not arguing a solution. Just saying the dude did the best that could be expected and he should be recognized for that. That’s all. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t even think we can criticize that agent for anything. As far as I can tell he didn’t get involved until he heard shots from inside the school. 

Sounds like the man’s a hero. Cornered him and took him out by himself. Who knows how many lives he saved 

Just saying the dude did the best that could be expected and he should be recognized for that. That’s all. 

I agree with that. I also agree he was a hero. I'm just cautious about people using this as an example of a "good guy with a gun" The good ,with a gun theory is basically if we arm everyone than some random dude will take out the shooter and we won't have any problems. It's basically an argument that more guns are the best answer.

In this situation, a trained agent of the law acted and acted heroically. He put his life at risk and saved lives. He was off duty so I guess in some ways you could call him a "good guy with a gun," but not really. It was a good guy with specific tactical training and a licensed law officer with a gun who ended the situation.

Just in case anyone wants to talk about this specific incident instead of debating gun control…..

The wife has been approaching or at the tears phase several times since the news dropped today.  Part of it may be because she was a teacher at one point in time.  And I see the reactions from many here and on TV.  I’m sure this says something ****ed up about me but I feel……nothing.  I guess I’m frustrated.  But I don’t really feel any emotional grief.  Maybe I’m just used to it?  Maybe I’m just a cold-hearted, bad person?  I don’t know.  But I definitely don’t feel as bad as I probably should.

1 minute ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Just in case anyone wants to talk about this specific incident instead of debating gun control…..

The wife has been approaching or at the tears phase several times since the news dropped today.  Part of it may be because she was a teacher at one point in time.  And I see the reactions from many here and on TV.  I’m sure this says something ****ed up about me but I feel……nothing.  I guess I’m frustrated.  But I don’t really feel any emotional grief.  Maybe I’m just used to it?  Maybe I’m just a cold-hearted, bad person?  I don’t know.  But I definitely don’t feel as bad as I probably should.

I fear this is a big part of the problem. These mass shootings have become so common we're desensitized to it. It's become part of our normal. Sure, school shootings are rarer, but I remember looking at a stat a little while ago that said there was a mass shooting in the US pretty much every other day.

The moment we decide this is not a big deal. That this is an acceptable normal (I know that part isn't what you are saying), we have lost. Functionally, that's the argument of "Thoughts and prayers." It's "We will do nothing. It's sad. **** happens. Shrug. Move on."

I suspect in two to three days, everyone will move on to the next thing or people will talk more about Johnny Depp and Amber Herd than this. That, or we'll file this away because there's been another mass shooting and we'll just shrug and say, "Nothing to see here. Move along. Maybe we can loosen some gun laws or pray a little harder. After all, we know the pro life crowd won't do anything. Won't even try anything.

Normal sucks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

What do you feel frustrated about?

1 hour ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I was good until they showed the families and images of the victims.  I can’t watch Hispanic families torn apart by grief followed by images of kids my daughters age that are now dead with feeling it.  Hits way too close to home.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Normal sucks.

I was surprised to be the first one who posted about the incident in this thread, probably about 4:15. A friend had texted me about the incident and said that 14 had died, but the initial reports online I saw said two dead and 14 injured. I then turned on each of the major cable news networks and not one at the time was covering the story. That was stunning to me.

He doesn’t know yet in that picture that his perfect little girl is dead.  He was a parent like me, with a daughter that up to a few hours ago was just like my own.  

how can people see **** like this and not be willing to change anything?  

• Like 3