Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

29 minutes ago, visionary said:

Really impressive and quick thinking. But good god...this is where we are now. I can't even imagine the kind of trauma this poor kid is going to have to deal with, probably for the rest of her life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

I think there’s a difference between ‘confirmation’ and suggestion vs questioning if people were actually successful.  That’s a big issue now a days with reporters and the media and social networks as a whole.  No one waits for confirmations and jumps to conclusions on their own and attempts to spread is as fact

For sure I was just saying it really sounds like that’s what he was saying so I don’t think people are being malicious. Which I look back now and that was not your point at all so my b carry on 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I was just going to express my disgust with those who are sworn to "serve and protect".   I really, really hate that your pay & benefits probably suck, but you TOOK AN OATH.

Just like the military.

Do your job. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

36 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

And again we have the news saying something different than what was actually said.  No record of a cop on scene, or from who was interviewed, saying they were “Reluctant to go in cause they could have gotten shot” - the guy doing the interview stated that as they entered from multiple entrances, they had no idea where the gunman was and where the shots were coming from.  Nothing more and nothing less and no mention of them retreating and not moving forward because they didn’t want to get shot.

He even states they were being fired upon but didn’t know where from, from there it’s keeping cover and moving in from there.

and not saying anything directly to you, just a comment on the article and headline itself

Hopefully we get an accurate representation of timelines in the coming days as they’re reviewing and piecing that together now.

Edited by steve09ru

19 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Hopefully we get an accurate representation of timelines in the coming days as they’re reviewing and piecing that together now.

Doesn't matter. 

Do your job.  Don't let children (or anyone else) be slaughtered.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Doesn't matter. 

Do your job.  Don't let children (or anyone else) be slaughtered.

Except we don’t know the details yet.  Can’t really say “do your job” without knowing what actually took place.  Again, we’ll find out once more details come around from the actual video within the school with a better timeline of what happened.

locked and barricaded in a room is different than meeting them in the hallway or open area.  Damage could have been done within the first few minutes and it turned into a standoff situation.  Again we don’t know the details and sequence of events once they were inside the building and the guy was in the room.  It’s not a situation where you just charge in, you’ve got a guy with high capacity rifle who has unknown ammo count.  You barge in then and your defense is picked off (not knowing if there’s bombs or anything else).  That happens, the defense and containment is lost and the guy moves to the next area. 

it’s containment and not letting them move.  Unfortunately, anyone during that initial phase has little chance and it’s just containing the spread of the threat into additional areas.  Sucks to say that and it’s horrible but it’s also the facts.

Edited by steve09ru

8 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Except we don’t know the details yet.  Can’t really say “do your job” without knowing what actually took place.  Again, we’ll find out once more details come around from the actual video within the school with a better timeline of what happened.

"However, comma..." as a Navy CO told me...;)

Shots were fired in a school.  Not HS kids.  Small children. 

Get in with recon scopes. 

Outmatched. 

This sucks. 

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

"However, comma..." as a Navy CO told me...;)

Shots were fired in a school.  Not HS kids.  Small children. 

Get in with recon scopes. 

Outmatched. 

This sucks. 

Agreed, but military training doesn’t go that far down.  There’s been a push to demilitarize police but then in situations like this we expect it.  We can push for specialized areas but they require time and understanding of situations before they act.  The worst thing you can do, although in some instances it works, is just run free into it without a plan.  May work or it may make it worse if you lose that defense.   

we had less than 10 cops growing up in our town.  If this happened and others were called in from other departments 20+ minutes away, it’s a long time for this to go on.  You need the resources available to contain the situation and make sure it doesn’t spread.  This obviously hits worse in smaller towns where resources are fewer compared to you larger cities where it seems like these are resolved in minutes

8 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

That they responded in minutes. 

Every timeline shows they did?  He entered the school at 11:40am and the first gunfire exchange with officers was at 11:44.  From there he barricaded himself in the classroom and that’s when most of the shooting occurred.  It was then a standoff situation until the CBP tactical team arrived at 12:40 and breached the room but the gunfire had subsided for a while at that point (assuming we’ll find out if that’s accurate in the coming days)

Edited by steve09ru

3 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Every timeline shows they did?  He entered the school at 11:40am and the first gunfire exchange with officers was at 11:44

The police have told multiple stories now and it leads to people not trusting them. It’s also almost 72 hours after the fact and they haven’t given many details at all. 

It’s hard for people to trust that. That and knowing they were outside attacking parents. That also doesn’t help. 

I don’t understand falling over oneself to defend them with how this has unfolded. If there are inaccuracies in the media out there, it’s directly related to how they responded and what THEY said in the media. After 3 days they could have had a clear message or report. They haven’t. That’s on them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

UVALDE, Texas — A fourth grader who survived the mass shooting at Robb Elementary has shared gut-wrenching details about what he witnessed inside that classroom.

"When I heard the shooting through the door, I told my friend to hide under something so he won't find us," he said. “I was hiding hard. And I was telling my friend to not talk because he is going to hear us.” 

The boy and four others hid under a table that had a tablecloth over it, which may have shielded them from the shooter's view and saved their lives. The boy shared heartbreaking details about what happened in that room.

“When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said. "The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting.”

https://www.kens5.com/article/news/special-reports/uvalde-school-shooting/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-fourth-grader-student-account-elementary/273-51cc4e26-7a0a-49c0-ba7a-48cdd47fa235

The more we hear about the police response the worse it gets. 

Just got an email shortly ago from the principal of the school I work at. Apparently some 8th graders at our school have been posting on their snapchat and other social media about the shooting and not exactly in a grief stricken way if you know what I mean; almost making a joke out of it. I'm not privvy to the exact content of said posts, it was a general message but unfortunately not surprised it even happened.

Not all adolescents are immature when it comes to things like this, but in general I don't think most of them really understand the ramifications and the emotional response that they should be feeling.

She said our local Sheriff's Office is investigating the matter and will keep staff and parents up to date.

Smh.

Edited by Cool Hwhip

9 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

That they responded in minutes. 

They said they were on the scene in minutes (took 12), said SRO "engaged suspect", I heard some reports that they exchanged fire with him. All of that was a lie and they didn't tell us that they were waiting outside waiting for the border patrol. They left that part out of their statement.

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

The police have told multiple stories now and it leads to people not trusting them. It’s also almost 72 hours after the fact and they haven’t given many details at all. 

It’s hard for people to trust that. That and knowing they were outside attacking parents. That also doesn’t help. 

I don’t understand falling over oneself to defend them with how this has unfolded. If there are inaccuracies in the media out there, it’s directly related to how they responded and what THEY said in the media. After 3 days they could have had a clear message or report. They haven’t. That’s on them. 

What specifically did the police say that has changed pretty dramatically?  May have missed that.

what details are you looking for specifically?  This isn’t anything new and details rarely get released ahead of the full investigation being completed. 

and I’m not looking to defend them.  I’m simply asking for direct statements from these officers that are getting thrown out there because what was reported and what was actually said, we’re 0-2 on accuracy and intent on the last couple Twitter posts.  Looking for large inconsistencies (smaller detail misses will happen as they do with anything and everything shortly after) but haven’t seen those yet and simply asking for those.

10 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

They said they were on the scene in minutes (took 12), said SRO "engaged suspect", I heard some reports that they exchanged fire with him. All of that was a lie and they didn't tell us that they were waiting outside waiting for the border patrol. They left that part out of their statement.

It was 4 minutes from the time he entered the school and engaged.  They were also inside the school and engaged in gunfire before CPB showed up.  Multiple offers were wounded during that time.  These are things that have been reported across multiple major media outlets as recently as a couple hours ago.  The SRO gunfire exchange is the only thing I have seen where it has flipped and that he didn’t engage directly but followed him in and shots were fired soon after from the other responding officers.

Edited by steve09ru