Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

ouch. he shouldn't be talking about his mom's assets and "comfortable" retirement. Some victim, if "Steve" didn't transfer it into her name it could be fair game in civil court? Shouldn't be talking about his largesse from Steve either. 

Edited by Elessar78

27 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Maybe he was compelled to do this by an outside influence.  He had big business dealings, perhaps he was in too deep somewhere?

It was the Russians.

Who would compel him to slaughter people at a country music concert indiscriminately, though, and why? Russian (or whoever) mobsters and shady underworld business sorts wouldn't really have much to gain from that. I doubt he lost bets with ISIS and owed them money. 

I still wonder about a possible physiological issue. 

Just now, mistertim said:

Who would compel him to slaughter people at a country music concert indiscriminately, though, and why?

Maybe he hates new country.

Perhaps enough of his brain is intact to find something, or my favorite....

4 hours ago, The Gibber said:

I had the same thoughts but it was explained on CNN.  The cops would have responded sooner if the shooter kept shooting but since he stopped after the initial confrontation, the cops waited until they could assemble the appropriate swat team.  However, they stated if he had kept shooting they would have entered the room much quicker.  

Fortunately and unfortunately, we've learned a lot from other mass shootings like Columbine.  They said that they usually don't wait for the perfect swat team to assemble but in this case that the shooter was not firing on the crowd anymore they did to get the right team in place which cuts down on mistakes/casualties.

I hear he fired about 200 rounds into the door to 'discourage' them , but they did get his attention.

Kudos to the security guard for his efforts

https://www.thedailybeast.com/unarmed-security-guard-jesus-campos-took-on-las-vegas-killer-stephen-paddock

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Who would compel him to slaughter people at a country music concert indiscriminately, though, and why? Russian (or whoever) mobsters and shady underworld business sorts wouldn't really have much to gain from that. I doubt he lost bets with ISIS and owed them money. 

I still wonder about a possible physiological issue. 

Sorry, I wasn’t really being serious and apologize if you took it as much.

Now, seriously:  We are never going to know.  There’s going to be dozens of theories, each more wild than the one before.  Ultimately, we won’t find out.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Sorry, I wasn’t really being serious and apologize if you took it as much.

Now, seriously:  We are never going to know.  There’s going to be dozens of theories, each more wild than the one before.  Ultimately, we won’t find out.

Haha. Sorry, that was rather obtuse of me. Should have been able to tell....been a long day.  :)

30 minutes ago, twa said:

Maybe he hates new country.

Perhaps enough of his brain is intact to find something, or my favorite....

I could absolutely see it being something like that. Something physiological/neurological, or pharmaceutical. And that guy who wrote that FB post was very correct...that's a common misconception: that people who have psychotic breaks just suddenly snap and go from 0 to 100 in a day. But it rarely happens like that, especially with someone who is good at staying in control and is able to keep it at bay for a while. 

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

The pharmaceutical industries advances would correlate with the mass shooting deaths

It's not a theory.  It's a fact.  I bring up Big Pharma and their role in this garbage in every one of these sad, yet horribly predictable threads/incidents.

The stuff they cram past the FDA is absolutely criminal.  The side effects of these drugs, and their efforts to cover up/doctor studies is disgusting.  

24 minutes ago, tshile said:

The pharmaceutical industries advances would correlate with the mass shooting deaths

Interesting theory

The fact that the industry is shady certainly helps it sound good

Perhaps we ban guns for anyone on antidepressants, anti-anxieties, etc.  Even a ban for recent usage of mood altering drugs, last 5 years or so.  Seems fairly logical to me.

What do you fine folks feel about vets with PTSD owning firearms?  Seems like a recipe for disaster, no?

Edited by Springfield

Just now, Springfield said:

Perhaps we ban guns for anyone on antidepressants, anti-anxieties, etc.  Seems fairly logical to me.

I'd expect some opposition to that.....logic meets emotion :)

For the vast majority they can be beneficial.

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This had to be planned in advance. He had to receive training, to be able to execute so efficiently.

If not ISIS, he's affiliated with some group.  Something doesn't smell right.

Apparently he put over a thousand rounds down there. He wasn't an expert marksman picking off targets, he was using a bump stock to spray and hoping to hit as many people as possible. And it was obviously planned in advance but that doesn't immediately mean it was coordinated with a group. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Springfield said:

Perhaps we ban guns for anyone on antidepressants, anti-anxieties, etc.  Even a ban for recent usage of mood altering drugs, last 5 years or so.  Seems fairly logical to me.

What do you fine folks feel about vets with PTSD owning firearms?  Seems like a recipe for disaster, no?

The unintended consequences being that people would be less likely to seek mental healthcare if they know it's being reported to the government and used to restrict rights.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, twa said:

Perhaps enough of his brain is intact to find something, or my favorite.

Psychotic break?

BOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNG!!!!!

What are you trying to cover up?

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This had to be planned in advance. He had to receive training, to be able to execute so efficiently.

Oh yes, that was as delicate and precise as a well played game of chess the way he sprayed bullets into a crowd.

• Haha 1

At this point, what does motive matter?  It's not going to bring back any loved ones.  It's not going to heal anyones wounds, physical or psychological.  From a curiosity perspective people, people want to know, I understand that for sure.  But at this point, for me, they could give any reason and I don't think it'd matter.  People are dead and hurt, he's dead and that's all you really need to know.

"We've come to learn that he did it because he lost all his winnings in a game of poker..."

"Oh, ok...now I feel better.  That explains EVERYTHING."

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

At this point, what does motive matter?  It's not going to bring back any loved ones.  It's not going to heal anyones wounds, physical or psychological.  From a curiosity perspective people, people want to know, I understand that for sure.  But at this point, for me, they could give any reason and I don't think it'd matter.  People are dead and hurt, he's dead and that's all you really need to know.

"We've come to learn that he did it because he lost all his winnings in a game of poker..."

"Oh, ok...now I feel better.  That explains EVERYTHING."

Root cause analysis. You can’t address a problem without knowing what the cause is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Popeman38 said:

Root cause analysis. You can’t address a problem without knowing what the cause is. 

I guess.  I mean, the problem happened last weekend.

Religious terrorist, depression, mental illness, lost money and gambling debts, angry at the world, terrible childhood, starved for attention, etc.  I mean, pick one.  You can say root cause analysis and I don't totally disagree but if we ever get to the bottom of it, I'm betting that the reasoning behind it won't be earth shattering or original.  

4 hours ago, Destino said:

The unintended consequences being that people would be less likely to seek mental healthcare if they know it's being reported to the government and used to restrict rights.  

Oh I agree.

This is why you’ll (the proverbial “you”, not Destino per se) never get the mental health conversation started in regards to preventing mass murders.  And thus, we get these little inconveniences every once in a while.  Can’t even start a conversation about what the conservatives believe cause mass murders.  True shame.