Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

So your gut reaction is they took it down?

As opposed to a basic server being overloaded by requests? Maybe even being ddos'd?

Cause that's what you see when a web server goes down from too many requests. Legitimate or ddos'd.

Yeah looks to me more like their server is overloaded with traffic. If it were taken down it wouldn't time out like that, it would probably just go to a maintenance page or a blank one.

Not really a fan of this "news" organization, but they seem to have an article with reasonably good detail on the bump stock stuff. Including videos.

(And a link to how hard it is to actually own a machine gun despite some of our fellow posters insisting you have a dealer fill your paperwork out and just wait 6 months) 

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/can-a-bump-stock-make-a-ar-15-fire-full-auto-like-a-machine-gun-yes-and-its-relatively-cheap-pretty-easy-and-completely-legal/article/2636432

This is chilling. The Daily Beast is reporting that shooter Stephen Paddock may have first planned to attack a different outdoor concert, held the previous weekend in Las Vegas. 

The previous week Paddock rented multiple condos at the Ogden, a 21 story tower that overlooks the site of the Life Is Beautiful Festival, which this year featured Chance the Rapper and Lorde. 

Here's an aerial view of the Ogden and its proximity to the site of last week's Life Is Beautiful concert.

171003-daly-shooter-condo-embed-1_gjvzlp

A spokesperson for the owner of the Ogden referred a reporter to Metro Police.

This would add more evidence that this was an act long in planning.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/las-vegas-gunman-stephen-paddock-may-have-first-planned-to-attack-chance-the-rapper-and-lorde-concert?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A thedailybeast%2Farticles (The Daily Beast - Latest Articles)&yptr=yahoo&ref=yfp

Edited by Dan T.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/misc/RPD-not-involved-in-investigation-into-Vegas-shooting-suspect-449079193.html

Weapons found in Reno house owned by massacre suspect

Las Vegas Police say a search of a Reno home owned by Las Vegas massacre suspect Stephen Paddock has yielded several weapons.

At a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Investigators said they found five handguns, two shotguns and a "plethora of ammunition" and electronics. The house is being treated as a potential crime scene.

At least some of the guns found on Paddock's properties had been bought at the Cabela's store in Verdi.

Federal investigators made their way without incident into the house on Del Webb Parkway Monday evening, looking for clues that might help law enforcement with the case in Las Vegas

The home in Somersett was purchased by Paddock in 2013. Neighbors say he and friend Marylou Danley kept to themselves and didn't talk to a lot of people.

*Click Link For More*

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

This is chilling. The Daily Beast is reporting that shooter Stephen Paddock may have first planned to attack a different outdoor concert, held the previous weekend in Las Vegas. 

The previous week Paddock rented multiple condos at the Ogden, a 21 story tower that overlooks the site of the Life Is Beautiful Festival, which this year featured Chance the Rapper and Lorde. 

Here's an aerial view of the Ogden and it's proximity to the site of last week's Life Is Beautiful concert.

171003-daly-shooter-condo-embed-1_gjvzlp

A spokesperson for the owner of the Ogden referred a reporter to Metro Police.

This would add more evidence that this was an act long in 

On 10/2/2017 at 11:25 AM, StillUnknown said:

I absolutely think this was premeditated.  You don't bring that many weapons or set up cameras in the hallway of your hotel room unless you planned this out. 

Edited by brandymac27

I've thought on the gun control issue a lot, and the only thing that really sticks out in my mind is that if there ever seemed to be a "Slippery Slope" argument, it's towards this one.  When do you stop the power of weapons?  EVERYONE GETS A HYDROGEN BOMB!  In fact - YOU CAN BUY MAGAZINES OF THEM.  TIME MAGAZINE, PEOPLE MAGAZINE.  MAGAZINES FOR EVERYONE!

I just imagine everyone in Star Wars having a Death Star, in a galactic paintball match against each other.  Don't worry - the laser isn't active, it's just laser paint.

At what strength of beastly monsters of guns do you STOP handing out to people, even with perfectly upstanding citizenship?

10 hours ago, twa said:

Facilitating rights is a crime?

Dang I got some calls to make.:)

Paying legislators to ignore the common good is what they've done, which was both negligent and facilitating...and yes, negligence and/or facilitation is a crime.  The NRA lobby helped in this regard, it's a fact.  Don't discount the power of your own, mister.

The NRA helps people murder other people, and does nothing to save anyone from the NRA lobbying point, which is any rules = infringement.  NOT EVEN CHILDREN (of your own fellow citizens) matter to you.  It is no longer the National Rifle Association, it's the ALL GUNS, ALL ACCESSORIES, ALL DAY NETWORK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If hunters are true sportsmen, then they should be able to get it done with a friggin lever gun or bolt action rifle.  Hunting with an AR is chicken ****.

Hunting for sport with any weapon from a comfortable, safe distance when the animal is minding its own business is chicken stuff.  I dont think the choice of firearm makes it somehow more sportsmanlike.  

11 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Crazy mass murderer types arent usually doing great financially. 

And hey, if guns are tough to acquire, maybe some guns nuts house will get broken into and he can live out his wet dreams. :)

This guy has to be the wealthiest mass shooter ever.

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Hunting for sport with any weapon from a comfortable, safe distance when the animal is minding its own business is chicken stuff.  I dont think the choice of firearm makes it somehow more sportsmanlike.  

I don't agree at all.  The choice of weapon absolutely matters.  Hunting with a shotgun, lever gun, or bolt action rifle is very challenging and sporting.  If you think it's easy, then go and try it.  It's also necessary for population control and conservation in a society like ours.  It's way more humane than having animals starve, get poisoned, or get run over by cars when their populations explode.

Gun control advocates who crap on hunters are barking up the wrong tree.  This isn't Europe.  We are still a wild, well conserved continent full of animals that need to be managed and recreational hunting by and large is an essential part of that duty of stewardship.  It helps preserve the balance between industrial civilization and wilderness.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't agree at all.  The choice of weapon absolutely matters.  Hunting with a shotgun, lever gun, or bolt action rifle is very challenging and sporting.  If you think it's easy, then go and try it.  It's also necessary for population control and conservation in a society like ours.  It's way more humane than having animals starve, get poisoned, or get run over by cars when their populations explode.

Gun control advocates who crap on hunters are barking up the wrong tree.  This isn't Europe.  We are still a wild, well conserved continent full of animals that need to be managed and recreational hunting by and large is an essential part of that duty of stewardship.  It helps preserve the balance between industrial civilization and wilderness.

I was making a philosophical argument more than a degree of difficulty operating the weapon argument.

I dont care how easy or hard it is to operate the gun.  That wasnt what I was arguing.  I'm talking about shooting an animal minding it's own business from a distance cuz you like hanging things on your wall and taking puctures.  That's not a "sport" IMO.  

I dont have a problem with hunting for a purpose, like population control, if it's necessary. I wouldnt call consider that sport if you're doing it for those reasons. Gun advocates that argue that it's always for such reasons are barking up the wrong tree too.   

Edited by justice98

As relevant now as it was back in June, and at most any other time come to that, a pertinent reminder piece of the constant, nonsensical, self-serving obstacles continually put in the way of making ANY progress on America's gun issues. And the ill-informed nature of many of the public.  

What's wrong with gun laws in the United States, by Barack Obama - Empirically

Hail. 

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I was making a philosophical argument more than a degree of difficulty operating the weapon argument.

I dont care how easy or hard it is to operate the gun.  That wasnt what I was arguing.  I'm talking about shooting an animal minding it's own business from a distance cuz you like hanging things on your wall and taking puctures.  That's not a "sport" IMO.  

I dont have a problem with hunting for a purpose, like population control, if it's necessary. I wouldnt call consider that sport if you're doing it for those reasons. Gun advocates that argue that it's always for such reasons are barking up the wrong tree too.   

What you don't understand is that while that trophy is on someone's wall, the meat and pretty much every other part of the animal probably went to a good cause.  It probably went to feeding locals who don't have the means to get it themselves or are needy.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

What you don't understand is that while that trophy is on someone's wall, the meat and pretty much every other part of the animal probably went to a good cause.  It probably went to feeding locals who don't have the means to get it themselves or are needy.

Maybe this part isnt clear.  I dont oppose all hunting as a rule, it just depends on the reason you're doing it.  

16 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Who do you think is actually doing most of the work of population control?  It's the recreational hunters.  Do you think state or federal governments replacing them with a few professionals charged with gunning down animals as efficiently as they can would be better stewardship or more humane?

Hunting is excellent sport, it is well-regulated, and it is extremely difficult and I'm glad there are still a lot of dedicated sportsmen out there willing to do it because I have no interest in doing it myself.  It's a lot of damn work and it is not comfortable at all.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Who do you think is actually doing most of the work of population control?  It's the recreational hunters.  Do you think state or federal governments replacing them with a few professionals charged with gunning down animals as efficiently as they can would be better stewardship or more humane?

Hunting is excellent sport, it is well-regulated, and it is extremely difficult and I'm glad there are still a lot of dedicated sportsmen out there willing to do it because I have no interest in doing it myself.  It's a lot of damn work and it is not comfortable at all.

Wow, the way you were arguing for it, I thought you were a fellow hunter.  

Duck hunting isn't bad, you throw some decoys out, sit in a blind and wait for them to come in.  The dog does all the retrieving work.  You sit there and drink coffee all morning, it's nice. 

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Wow, the way you were arguing for it, I thought you were a fellow hunter.  

Duck hunting isn't bad, you throw some decoys out, sit in a blind and wait for them to come in.  The dog does all the retrieving work.  You sit there and drink coffee all morning, it's nice. 

I grew up around hunting but I never enjoyed it myself.  I do enjoy hiking and fieldcraft.  But hunting is a patient man's game and I just don't have it.  I'm a millennial, I grew up on video games and I just can't stay focused and interested for the time it takes to hunt well.

Hunting duck and quail and pheasant is different though.  The guide and the dogs are doing the hard work, it's way more fun and gratifying than other types of hunting.  I think a lot more people can enjoy that and you also don't have to be but so good to shoot a lot of birds.

17 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not sure where you are getting your information from, but it is very, very wrong (unless you meant "over each of the past 20 years").  The NRA spent over $3 million in 2016 alone, and has already exceeded that number in 2017.  So that's six million in the past year and 3/4.  

Edit:  The rest of your post I agree with, but I don't believe that many people really are single issue voters, generally.

Yeah I absolutely got my numbers mixed up. Oof.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Honestly, why do we even talk about these? We don't know why they happen. We take no steps to prevent the next one.

It's an endless feedback loop.

See you at the next slaughter.....

Basically how im starting to feel

46 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Let's not go overboard, here.  

Granted, my perspective comes almost entirely from listening to my brother, who has been a recreational (and competitive) shooter, and a recreational hunter, for decades.  No doubt my brother does not represent every single hunter in the world.  But no doubt he's not the only one like himself, either.  

And he's not out there in the woods nobly performing a thankless task that society has forced him to assume because other people aren't willing to perform a necessary, humane, task.  

He's out there because he enjoys it.  

Does he eat the meat from his kills?  Yes.  But he's not out there for the meat.  He regularly complains about having to deal with the stuff.  Eating the meat is simply a price that he has to pay.  (Sometimes he makes it sound like it's a self-imposed penance.)  

I'm not trying to paint hunters as budding psychopaths maniacly getting pleasure from killing helpless creatures, one stressor (a little Criminal Minds lingo, here) away from becoming a mass murderer.  But let's not go too far towards demanding that society thank them for their selfless task, either.  

They're doing it because it's a hobby that they enjoy.  

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

NPR reported that he had multiple automatic weapons in his room yesterday.  I wouldn't be sure that he didn't use them yet.

npr also had their national security correspondent talking about "automatic clips" the morning the story broke.

their correspondents aren't exactly very well versed in gun lingo. i like NPR, but they're just as susceptible as everyone else in speaking incorrectly about this stuff.