Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

18 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I just had a long pointless argument with someone on Facebook who claims there were two shooters and it's all a big cover up. 

I'm really starting to wonder why I still have a Facebook account,  there are so many lunatics spreading nonsense I don't derive any pleasure whatsoever on there anymore. 

The world is not in short supply of dumbasses, that's for sure. There's always conspiracy nuts that think they have it all figured out. Lots of Dunning-Kruger types floating around.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

The world is not in short supply of dumbasses, that's for sure. There's always conspiracy nuts that think they have it all figured out. Lots of Dunning-Kruger types floating around.

I had to Google dunning-kruger. 

I must have a lower ability. 

But then again I admitted I didn't know what it was. 

Oh I don't know. 

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Oh I don't know. 

No worries. It's a bit of an obscure reference. It had been a long time since I took a psychology course, so I also had to look it up a while back :cheers:

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Oh I don't know. 

the fact that you looked it up then commented on it means you got nothing to worry about

:)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I just had a long pointless argument with someone on Facebook who claims there were two shooters and it's all a big cover up. 

I'm really starting to wonder why I still have a Facebook account,  there are so many lunatics spreading nonsense I don't derive any pleasure whatsoever on there anymore. 

Perusing the conspirscy boards, there's all kinds of scuttlebutt going on.  That's just the tip of the iceberg to what people are kicking around.  

- There was a Mandalay Bay server that had (allegedly) a copy of a room service receipt to Paddock's room that people seem to think shows an order for two people.  

- Somebody uncovered a plane registered to Paddock.  Tracing the chain of custody for this plane, the allegation is it eventually wound up in the hands of a defense contractor.

- Paddock's Marine neighbor chatted him up and seems to think the CIA is involved some kinda way and Paddock was a patsy.

- I saw the idea that Paddock was running guns for ISIS and it went bad.

Trust me, you'll get a headache seeing what's out there.  That's just all I can remember.  A lot of the typical, false flag kinda stuff that these types yell everytime something happens.

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I'm facebook friends with several of these people, mostly from from high school. The **** they post is unreal! I also have friends and family with polar opposite political viewpoints and belief systems. Between those, I do my best to stay out of the fray.

It does become annoying some of the things you see, but I find it important not to block or un-follow these people.

One of the bigger problems we have as a society is confirmation bias and living in silos. Whether intentionally cutting out opposing viewpoints and ideas from your social media feeds, or having it subconsciously happen via Yahoo or Google's algorithm's, large portions of this country are living in echo chambers. Any opposing viewpoint is an attack.

It's good to remind yourself that these other ideas/people exist, even as crazy as they seem to me (or others), to keep the right perspective on things.

Extreme (but related) example, just think if everyone blocked the 'weirdo', or 'nutjob', or 'creepy guy' from high school, that always seemed a bit off... it's possible that nobody would see any of the warnings signs for the next mass murderer.

• Like 2

Saw the images that the Las Vegas police confirmed was genuine inside the room... pretty nuts.... dude blasted right through his mouth and brains out the back. Ammunition and rifles everywhere. Hate to say it, and not taking anything away, but it could have been so much worse (as if it wasn't bad enough) if they didn't get to him.

33 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Saw the images that the Las Vegas police confirmed was genuine inside the room... pretty nuts.... dude blasted right through his mouth and brains out the back. Ammunition and rifles everywhere. Hate to say it, and not taking anything away, but it could have been so much worse (as if it wasn't bad enough) if they didn't get to him.

That's what's scary about the ****. And as of today we haven't done a single damn thing to stop it from happening again and no word on doing so. 

42 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Its my impression that the shooting lasted about 10 minutes, but that SWAT didn't enter his room until an hour after the shooting started. What was this lunatic doing in the meantime? He stopped shooting long before police arrived, which is a good thing, but it still took a long time before the cavalry showed up.

8 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Its my impression that the shooting lasted about 10 minutes, but that SWAT didn't enter his room until an hour after the shooting started. What was this lunatic doing in the meantime? He stopped shooting long before police arrived, which is a good thing, but it still took a long time before the cavalry showed up.

He had probably shot himself already.

an hour and 20 minutes seems like a long time

i'll be interested to see a breakdown on why it took that long. i was under the impression every major city had put extensive work into responding to things like this much quicker.

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

58 people murdered and hundreds more wounded in 10 minutes by one person.

****ing hell

has there been a breakdown on injuries from gun shot wounds vs injuries from the ensuing chaos?

i get in one sense it doesn't matter, but I think that it matters in a certain sense

Edited by tshile

21 minutes ago, tshile said:

i'll be interested to see a breakdown on why it took that long. i was under the impression every major city had put extensive work into responding to things like this much quicker.

has there been a breakdown on injuries from gun shot wounds vs injuries from the ensuing chaos?

i get in one sense it doesn't matter, but I think that it matters in a certain sense

I had the same thoughts but it was explained on CNN.  The cops would have responded sooner if the shooter kept shooting but since he stopped after the initial confrontation, the cops waited until they could assemble the appropriate swat team.  However, they stated if he had kept shooting they would have entered the room much quicker.  

Fortunately and unfortunately, we've learned a lot from other mass shootings like Columbine.  They said that they usually don't wait for the perfect swat team to assemble but in this case that the shooter was not firing on the crowd anymore they did to get the right team in place which cuts down on mistakes/casualties.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, tshile said:

duplicate post by me.

Edited by The Gibber

Yeah, MoJoe said yesterday that it was 72 minutes between the first 911 call and when they performed an "explosive breach" on the room.  From what I understand, there were a lot of logistics to locate the exact room (and in my own mind, I have to think/hope they tried to quietly clear the floor of other guests), which probably did create some noise, he knew he was cornered and offed himself.  There's an important reference to the service cart in the hallway, but I didn't get the clear answer on that, so if anyone knows, please respond.   

3 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yeah, MoJoe said yesterday that it was 72 minutes between the first 911 call and when they performed an "explosive breach" on the room.  From what I understand, there were a lot of logistics to locate the exact room (and in my own mind, I have to think/hope they tried to quietly clear the floor of other guests), which probably did create some noise, he knew he was cornered and offed himself.  There's an important reference to the service cart in the hallway, but I didn't get the clear answer on that, so if anyone knows, please respond.   

Camera loaded on the cart so he could see the feds coming 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Camera loaded on the cart so he could see the feds coming 

Then that makes me ask another couple questions...

How long had the cart been there?  How did he know that a housekeeper or bellman wouldn't remove it?  Where on the cart?  Any prints/DNA?

I could "Lenny & Logan" this to the end of time...:cheers:

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Some places are reporting that there was a pen and paper near the body, there might be a note.  

Saw these earlier. Hope this pic is okay to post, nothing graphic in this one but will spoiler tag it just in case.

Little table with pen, paper, tape. Weapons on ground, and you can see the guys legs. 

Spoiler

paddock-room1.jpg