Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

29 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

What could possibly be the danger in random civilians firing blindly into the windows of a hotel?

That's assuming they even knew where the shots were coming from... they didn't. So I would think anyone that pulled a gun out in that situation instantly becomes the 'bad guy' and ends up dead, shot by police (or other do-gooders with a gun), or trampled.

In fact, I read the guys that were on tour with the musical act actually did have conceal carries, and decided not to whip them out for that exact fear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

My boss told me today "imagine how many lives would have been saved if everyone in the crowd could be armed"

I need a new job.

~Bang

Only if they had hilariously over sized guns so big they could take shelter behind them.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

In fact, I read the guys that were on tour with the musical act actually did have conceal carries, and decided not to whip them out for that exact fear.

Unless they were carrying concealed rifles with scopes they wouldn't be able to help

1 hour ago, Bang said:

My boss told me today "imagine how many lives would have been saved if everyone in the crowd could be armed"

I need a new job.

~Bang

Reminds me of this story from the WaPo earlier today.

What a macho, gun-packing Instagram star did when he was caught in the Las Vegas shooting

Spoiler alert: He ran, like everyone else. Then later tried to pretend like he didn't (unlike everyone else).

Gotta hate it when the real world intrudes on your fantasies of being Rambo.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

That's assuming they even knew where the shots were coming from... they didn't. So I would think anyone that pulled a gun out in that situation instantly becomes the 'bad guy' and ends up dead, shot by police (or other do-gooders with a gun), or trampled.

this seems like a very simple concept to understand. outside of willful ignorance, I can't fathom why anybody would assume its a good idea

• Like 3

There are examples of people stepping up, risking their life to take down an attacker. Sometimes they get hurt, sometimes they die. The guys on the train in Europe. The janitor in Washington state. The people on flight 93. The guy posted in the gun control thread.

The idea itself is not to be mocked.

But in this situation you're not doing anything to a dude 32 floors up especially when you don't know where he is. Especially with a handgun.

That would be a good test though. Anyone who responds with 'pull out my handguns' should be put on a no-buy list.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

There are examples of people stepping up, risking their life to take down an attacker. Sometimes they get hurt, sometimes they die. The guys on the train in Europe. The janitor in Washington state. The people on flight 93. The guy posted in the gun control thread.

The idea itself is not to be mocked.

But in this situation you're not doing anything to a dude 32 floors up especially when you don't know where he is. Especially with a handgun.

That would be a good test though. Anyone who responds with 'pull out my handguns' should be put on a no-buy list.

Oh I wouldn't mock the idea or the people who actually do it. But it is usually unassuming people who stepped up in the moment, not the big talking internet Rambo who has 232956723 guns and will tell you at length about how he would have taken out the shooter after every single mass shooting that happens. The instagram Rambo from the WaPo article is just that kinda dude. Not that I necessarily would expect him to just stand around, but it puts the reality test to the whole mythos of being that lone badass with a gun who stays cool and collected and single-handedly finds and takes out the shooter (and then presumably walks away from an explosion in slow motion without looking back at it).

It's just complete nonsense.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

I know I've said it before, but it is so baffling as to why this guy did this.  This seems to be a completely random act.  I think everyone would agree that a person who shoots up a crowd of people is crazy.  But Paddock wasn't "crazy" in the traditional sense.  He wasn't diagnosed with any mental illness.  He was a functioning member of society who held down jobs throughout his life.  He was a retired rich guy who lived with his girlfriend in the desert and gambled.  This is appears to simply be fueled by rage.  No one knows why he was so angry.  A bitter old guy who wanted to get back at society.  And that is indeed a scary thing to consider.

I don't buy the rage angle. Do we have even one instance of a mass shooting from rage? From recollection they've all involved some sort of hatred or political agenda or mental issue. Or bullying. Or something where a specific person was targeted, and then they went after bystandards. Any example of rage was targeted at a workplace, for instance.

This feels like terrorism - ie: political motive.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

I need a new job.

~Bang

I heard this same argument after the theater shooting in Aurora and just shook my head. That's what we want, a bunch of yahoos wielding guns in a dark, panicked theater. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don't buy the rage angle. Do we have even one instance of a mass shooting from rage? From recollection they've all involved some sort of hatred or political agenda or mental issue. Or bullying. Or something where a specific person was targeted, and then they went after bystandards. Any example of rage was targeted at a workplace, for instance.

His brother said the guy didn't give a **** about politics.

I blame GTA.

Edited by spjunkies

Just now, tshile said:

Rage is a mental issue, especially if the inhibitions to violent behavior go away.

But I'm certainly open to other options.

10 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

His brother said the guy didn't give a **** about politics.

I blame GTA.

Big bro also said when he moved into his house he didn't have any guns. Dude didn't know **** about his brother. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, twa said:

Rage is a mental issue, especially if the inhibitions to violent behavior go away.

But I'm certainly open to other options.

Mental issues are a little above my pay grade

I always thought of rage issues as something that came in spurts - something happened and sudden intense uncontrollable anger.

Not months/weeks of planning

I don't know

Just now, tshile said:

Mental issues are a little above my pay grade

I always thought of rage issues as something that came in spurts - something happened and sudden intense uncontrollable anger.

Not months/weeks of planning

I don't know

there is the seething kind,kinda like just dialing up the juice.

The inner controls/inhibitions are the main problem when right and wrong no longer are a issue to the person.

there are drugs I avoid

36 minutes ago, AJ* said:

I heard this same argument after the theater shooting in Aurora and just shook my head. That's what we want, a bunch of yahoos wielding guns in a dark, panicked theater. 

Might be okay if law enforcement can just shoot anyone wielding a gun once they arrive on the scene.