Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

As I said earlier, this thread has gone really negative.

.... And now it's getting to the stage where some feel a need to ridicule Cousins for his religious beliefs.?  Get real, and show some respect for something that's fundamental to being an American -- your right to have religious beliefs.  And there are plenty of people do rely on their religion to decide whether something is right to do, or not.  (Or maybe you want to counted in with those types as who were ridiculing Ali for refusing to fight in the Vietnam War because of his religious tenets?)  

Some may not be comfortable with Cousins' personal beliefs, but it is pretty low to hold that against him, and to start using it to ridcule him.

I'm not all that religious -- but have friends who have strong evangelical faith. Consequently,  I can see what Cousins was trying to say before that audience at Liberty University,and trying to provide them his own message via a  context used in that environment.  He was trying to give examples of how he relies on coming back to God, time and again, for help in meeting his tests of faith.  Essentially, if you can trust in God to help guide you though the tests, you don't have to make compromises to find some safe or expedient way.

Frankly, if you've seen other non-religious speeches that Cousins has given in the past,you'd come away with the impression that he was a thoughtful faith-based adult -- not someone who'd make your skin crawl.  

Granted I know some people are uncomfortable around overt declarations of faith -- but I don't recall Cousins has ever gone overboard when interviewed at a Redskins presser, or after a Redskins game.  Most of his expressions of faith in those circumstances were well within the realm of "social acceptability."  ( Now this video was a private interview and frankly it was appropriate for the setting in which it took place.  But because some weasel at Bleacher Report decided to make public, for grins, it's now something we should shame Cousins for?  Hey, If it makes you uncomfortable, maybe just don't watch it.)

It's absolutely his right to practice his faith however he wants. And if he says something like that in a public forum it's other peoples' right to give him a hard time for it. Not like anyone here is actually upset that he's religious, it was just something funny to rib on him for.

19 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

As I said earlier, this thread has gone really negative.

.... And now it's getting to the stage where some feel a need to ridicule Cousins for his religious beliefs.?  Get real, and show some respect for something that's fundamental to being an American -- your right to have religious beliefs. 

You also have the fundamental right to make fun of things public figures say in public lol..

And in all honesty, if I attended the same church as Kirk Cousins, and our pastor/reverend/whatever said to the congregation "God wants brother Kirk to be on one-year deals", you'd probably get a number of "Amens" after that. But once we all went home a LOT of churchgoers would probably look at friends and family members, laugh a little, and say "Ok, what was that about God liking one year deals?"

@Wyvern You are correct in that he doesn't go overboard with his faith in Redskins related forums.  I understand it was said at Liberty University of all places and that he's free to say whatever he wants.  I'm sure he didn't mean it exactly the way it came out.  

With all that said, it didnt come off well. I'm sure some of even the holiest of holy rollers rolled their eyes.  Kirk is fair game to poke fun at as anyone else.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You also have the fundamental right to make fun of things public figures say in public lol..

And in all honesty, if I attended the same church as Kirk Cousins, and our pastor/reverend/whatever said to the congregation "God wants brother Kirk to be on one-year deals", you'd probably get a number of "Amens" after that. But once we all went home a LOT of churchgoers would probably look at friends and family members, laugh a little, and say "Ok, what was that about God liking one year deals?"

Exactly. Say something silly/funny in public and you're going to get some people ribbing on you. Just because it has something to do with his religion doesn't automatically make it super-duper-you-have-to-respect-this-or-else protected.

I'm sorry, but when someone says God likes 1 year deals over long term contracts to use as justifying why he didn't sign a contract, I just can't stop my eyes from rolling. Even if he is saying it at Liberty, it's the cheesiest thing you can possibly say. I'm sure God leads people in different ways, but I'm also sure God doesn't tell athletes how to use contract situations to squeeze the last dime out of the purse.

No one thinks his religious beliefs are funny. We think God telling him to sign a 1 year deal over a multiyear deal is funny. 

Also on the topic is fundamental respect for the American institution......HA! This is the NFL bro. Did you not watch them kick a guy out for protesting? 

I agree with NickyJ.

There are some things you just don't joke around about, especially given the gravity of the situation.

Some people like to be in the spotlight and will say/do almost anything to get that attention; I don't believe KC is that kind of person, but I could clearly see why the Bleacher Report would, for ratings, attention, coverage, etc.

The sad thing is, if the struggling and/or losing continues, it will only become more of a hot topic and will be mis-quoted and mis-interpreted horribly. But, in the end, it came out of his mouth, and if he feels comfy enough to 'joke' about things like that, then he better have safety glass around his 'mental home' because a lot of rocks will come flying...

On 9/11/2017 at 7:54 AM, KingGibbs said:

Aslong as Spencer Long and Shawn Lauvao are in there Kirk is going to look like "Kurt." In case you don't know this EVERY QB under duress struggles. Just ask Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Eli Manning, etc. 

That's true but Sunday Cousins missed a lot of throws when he wasn't under duress.  Franchise QBs make you pay when people are open and they aren't under duress.  Franchise QBs exploit virtually every opportunity when it presents itself.  Cousins does not.  For example, he missed D. Jackson when he was open too many times to count over the last 2 years.  Jackson's number should have been much better than they ended up being.

I don't usually come back to follow up on my posts, but made an exception after reading some of the ensuing posts.  It's seems like some folks are describing what they believe to be the context of Cousins' remarks, over what was actually said in the video..  And there may be others who found it convenient  to create a charicature of those remarks by tailoring and somewhat mischaracterizing what was actually said -- after all, that makes it much easier to then deliver some clever punchline.  

Heck, it's ES, so have your fun.

... And I'll remember it's probably better to simply chill and just consider the source.  ...And remember this may be just another instance of when some ES'ers  prefer to snap post on what they think happened, before trying to watch the 'game film'.

By the way, there were some comments after my posts that I agreed with. For example,  I think Cousins could have used a better example than contracts, but I suspect he was trying frame his reply to the initial question about his opting for a 1-year contract.

Hey fellas, it pains me to say this, but no religion in the stadium. I mean some of these comments are gold (looking at you Llevron ) and nobody is more of an anti Christian atheist than me and Kirks comment is stupid to the point of damaging the world with faith (aka sticking your fingers in your ears and closing your eyes and believing actual bull**** fairy tales over science ), but it's not football talk. Go to the tailgate and start a "our QB is either lieing about God telling him to get rich or actually insane" thread.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I'but I'm also sure God doesn't tell athletes how to use contract situations to squeeze the last dime out of the purse.

Ain't been to church in a while, huh?

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

No one thinks his religious beliefs are funny. We think God telling him to sign a 1 year deal over a multiyear deal is funny. 

Also on the topic is fundamental respect for the American institution......HA! This is the NFL bro. Did you not watch them kick a guy out for protesting? 

Ultimately, he didn't feel comfortable signing long term. I'm not sure whats funny about that. And there are other guys doing the same thing he was doing ( minus the " cops are pigs " socks ) . They're playing.

11 hours ago, Califan007 said:

By the way, whoever wrote that article got this part wrong:

"In fairness to Cousins (and God I suppose) the Redskins’ offer was not a good one. The team was offering him “only” $24 million in new guarantees, as he already has $29 million guaranteed by the franchise tag. "

In reality, the team was offering Kirk $48M in new guarantees, as he already had $24M guaranteed by the franchise tag. They got it all ass-backwards.

"Guaranteed" and "Guaranteed for injury only" are two different things. 

If I hear...

"The coach gets these guys ready to play" one more time, I may have blow a gasket lol.

The coach gets the players to play X and O wise.

These are grown men, on a professional level. No amount of "rah, rah " is going to change how these guys perform. 

He can teach Pryor to run 8 yards before breaking on the dig route, but when Pryor breaks it at 7 yards and the the ball is behind him. That's not Gruden. 

I don't see Belicheck pumping guys up on the sideline. 

Coaches teach their scheme and how to execute on the professional level. I'm sure Gruden is doing that.  The players need to be prepared to play on Sundays.  They get freaking PAID to do it. Hence, it's a profession. 

28 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

"Guaranteed" and "Guaranteed for injury only" are two different things. 

It wasn't "guaranteed for injury only", it was 99% most likely "guaranteed for injury only during the 1st year of the contract, then fully guaranteed starting the 2nd year" The "99% most likely" part was because I don't think the specific terms of the contract ever been reported, so you never know, the Skins might have done that 1% different way of doing injury guarantees that's different from the rest of the NFL.

@RandyHolt @Riggo'sRangers @Llevron @BatteredFanSyndrome @skinzplay @Califan007 @NickyJ @mistertim @UK SKINS FAN '74 @Barney B @Wyvern @skins island connection

That's enough of that. Anyone wants to mock or discuss Kirk's religious beliefs from here on out, do so in the Tailgate. Any posts on it from now on will result in some time off for the offender. 

There was a little leeway provided here because Kirk mentioned it himself, but keep politics/religion out of The Stadium. It went way too far. 

@Koolblue13 Thanks for mentioning the no politics/religion in the Stadium thing, but it could've went without you essentially following it up with doing that exact thing. 

This isn't arguable or an opening to a discussion. Anyone who wants to discuss it further can do so via PM with me or in the feedback forums. Don't reply to me here. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

It wasn't "guaranteed for injury only", it was 99% most likely "guaranteed for injury only during the 1st year of the contract, then fully guaranteed starting the 2nd year" The "99% most likely" part was because I don't think the specific terms of the contract ever been reported, so you never know, the Skins might have done that 1% different way of doing injury guarantees that's different from the rest of the NFL.

Don't know where you're getting that 99% stuff. Allen himself said it was 53 mil at signing, 72 for injury.

I'd reverse it and say 1% chance that the rest of the guaranteed money kicks in year 2.

Chris Russell talked about this extensively.  Saying the team on principle doesn't like for the injury guaranteed money to kick in during year 2 for big contracts.  It tends to happen with them in year 3. So they essentially like to have an escape hatch after two seasons.  That's how they did Norman's contract and D Jax, too.

Then you got Kirk kicking in with he saw the contract offer as being a 2 year deal.  And while I agree Bruce doesn't always come off like the sharpest tool in the toolbox when it comes to PR instincts -- I don't even think he'd be dense enough to try to sell the contract in an over the top fashion while omitting a key detail like that.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2634573-josh-norman-to-sign-with-redskins-latest-contract-details-comments-reaction

Rapoport reported the deal is a five-year contract worth $75 million, with $50 million in guarantees. However, Albert Breer of NFL Network reported $36.5 million is fully guaranteed. Breer added Saturday that Norman will get $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses in 2017 and noted the last of his injury guarantee, worth $13.5 million, kicks in March 2018.

5 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Don't know where you're getting that 99% stuff. Allen himself said it was 53 mil at signing, 72 for injury.

Every contract I could find treated "injury guarantees" as guaranteed for injury-only during the first year of the contract. Starting the 2nd year of the contract the injury guarantee converts to fully guaranteed. Now, teams can cut their starting QB after one year and avoid paying the injury guarantee (provided the QB stayed healthy), but these contracts make it damn near impossible to part ways with a QB after year one of the contract. The 1% is if, say, the Skins didn't make the injury guarantee fully guaranteed until the 3rd year of the contract, but since Cousins' 3rd year base salary would become fully guaranteed on something like the 5th day of the new football year (like March 10th or whatever), putting off making the injury guarantee become fully guaranteed until the 3rd year doesn't make much sense...usually the injury guarantee is the player's 3rd year base salary--meaning, their 3rd year base salary becomes fully guaranteed in the contract's 2nd year.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd reverse it and say 1% chance that the rest of the guaranteed money kicks in year 2.

Chris Russell talked about this extensively.  Saying the team on principle doesn't like for the injury guaranteed money to kick in during year 2 for big contracts.  It tends to happen with them in year 3. So they essentially like to have an escape hatch after two seasons.  That's how they did Norman's contract and D Jax, too.

Then you got Kirk kicking in with he saw the contract offer as being a 2 year deal.  And while I agree Bruce doesn't always come off like the sharpest tool in the toolbox when it comes to PR instincts -- I don't even think he'd be dense enough to try to sell the contract in an over the top fashion while omitting a key detail like that.

Notices that it says the injury guarantee becomes fully guaranteed...so we can all stop with the "injury only" stuff lol...

Also notice it says the "last" of his injury guarantee becomes fully guaranteed in the 3rd year..,which would seem to indicate that some of the injury guarantee became fully guaranteed before the 3rd year...which points back to me saying injury guarantees "start" becoming fully guaranteed in the 2nd year.

To follow up:

Sportrac doesn't mention injury guarantees for Norman. WPost says 3rd year is injury guarantee for first two years. PFT says the "balance" of his injury guarantee becomes fully guaranteed in 3rd year ("balance" could mean what's left or all of it lol)...

Bottom line for me: injury guarantees aren't solely injury-only, usually guarantee the player's 3rd year salary starting the 2nd year, and while I only looked up QB contracts before (for a better comparison), the Skins could indeed be the one team in the NFL that doesn't start converting injury guarantees to fully guaranteed until the 3rd year. 

Archived