Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Common Kirk....I just don't know....

Riggo'sRangers

Just now, daveakl said:

We are going to disagree here but the playcalling was fine. High passes, crappy running and blocking, dropped passes where bigger problems.

Not saying they weren't...  just don't think Gruden is immune to criticism.  It was a bad offense game top to bottom, outside of maybe Chris Thompson and Ryan Grant. 

3 minutes ago, daveakl said:

They ran a few screens (two of them got blown up and KC had to throw the ball in the turf) and they also ran some quick passes to wr's that were isolated 1v1 on their side of the field.

There were 3 or 4 runs that RK was caught from behind at the los. Some of that was the  backside blocker not holding his block long enough but it also was RK being slow. We need a faster RB.

We are going to disagree here but the playcalling was fine. High passes, crappy running and blocking, dropped passes where bigger problems.

Like I said, i very well may have missed them because i missed parts of the game.  I know we do the WR isolation, i should have clarified, I was more referencing RB screens.  

As far as Kelly getting run down, dont know what that has to do with what I said... by RB leak I meant them doing more of a chip block, then leaking out to the flat where Kirk can hit them and let them make a play.... 

20 minutes ago, daveakl said:

You kind of can't just abandon plays just because TW went out. TN isn't a bad replacement anyway.

(Remember last year when he played great and there were people arguing to move TW to LG?)

The fact that Pryor dropped a pass kind of destroys the idea that he made bad play calls. If Pryor catches it then we are out of the shadow of our goal posts and moving down the field. 

Let's remember that although in TP's "wide catch radius", the pass was behind him and high... Another issue with Kirk from time to time is that he goes into stretches where he is inaccurate. While I'm seeing a lot of blame on the OL and on Jay for the playcalling, let's not pretend that Kirk is thread the needle accurate. There was failure on both ends on that play. There are many times where our guys catching the ball turn themselves into pretzels to help our QB. Some of those guys are gone, and will be missed. Ultimately, I think TP is a guy who will bounce back in a big way next week. We shall see.

Specific to that play... it should have been executed and worked. It was also highly predictable. That is what the Skins do on the shadow of their goal post... almost always. I called that play in the gameday thread, because that is what we run backed-up in our own end. Kelley is slow and coaches know our interior can get steamrolled on any given play, so they tend to go PA and either run a 10-12 yard route over the middle, or wing-it deep hoping for a flag.

I agree CT needs to be more of the game plan right now. Perplexing that we went away from him after he scored a highlight TD to give us the lead. It is also frustrating that Crowder has disappeared. I think Keim said he hasn't topped 42 yards in his last 5-6 games? That is scary, and coincides with when Kirk's game went into the crapper last season.

2 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

God will be the one ultimately making this decision.  Kirk is just a vessel.  Unfortunately, I don't believe God is a big Redskins fan.  I believe God is a huge Patriots fan considering the amount of good fortune he hath laid upon their table.  HTTR

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/nfl-redskins-kirk-cousins-god-contract

See this is how I know this dude is full of it Lol. 

God will be the one ultimately making this decision.  Kirk is just a vessel.  Unfortunately, I don't believe God is a big Redskins fan.  I believe God is a huge Patriots fan considering the amount of good fortune he hath laid upon their table.  HTTR

That was a pretty funny read, Riggo. I spit out my coffee when I came to the veiled reference to winning off the field. :ols::ols:

I too don't foresee God changing his mind, especially if perusing this board or watching our on the field product. The only hope to retain him is if "he" hears all the out of town fans cheering our failures and he thinks it's our fans cheering him on, or at minimum drowning out the boos.

My favorite: I do believe that the Lord — at least in my life — likes to use one-year contracts and not long-term contracts.

18364-2740.jpg

Kirk has been at lower points in his career and bounced back.

He looked just as bad, or worse last season week 1 against the Steelers' mighty super prevent defense. 

The Rams have an all-pro D-Line and lots of stability in their secondary; Kirk better be ready to play. If he doesn't bounce back by Kansas City in 3 weeks we're ****ed. 

20 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

My favorite: I do believe that the Lord — at least in my life — likes to use one-year contracts and not long-term contracts.

18364-2740.jpg

I've always overlooked the religious side to Kirk, like I do most everyone else in life. 

But I must admit the speech he gave where that came from made my skin crawl.  It was a bit much to say the least.

22 hours ago, Garcon More Wine said:

im still waiting to hear the plan B.  if the plan B is just "draft a QB" that is not enough for me.  

and i for one do not trust our bozo front office comprised of skins vets and sons of coaches dan grew up watching to pick this stud QB we're all waiting for.

kirk is good enough to win with and compete year in and year out with, so long as we have our run game fixed and the defense fixed (two things most QBs need in order to function).

None of that negates the fact that if the Redskins sign Cousins to a LTD because "we have no Plan B", we're ****ed for a multitude of reasons.

26 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I too don't foresee God changing his mind, especially if perusing this board or watching our on the field product. The only hope to retain him is if "he" hears all the out of town fans cheering our failures and he thinks it's our fans cheering him on, or at minimum drowning out the boos.

I never would've thought that God is so involved in the details of our lives. Now I think I know why my socks slowly keep disappearing.

Was Sean Gilbert the last Redskin player who thought God cared about his wallet? In the end, God arranged for us to get 2 first-round draft picks for Gilbert, which was a pretty good deal.

So I think He probably wants us to trade Cousins, and the sooner we do it, the more we glorify Him.

10 minutes ago, Mooka said:

The Rams have an all-pro D-Line and lots of stability in their secondary; Kirk better be ready to play. If he doesn't bounce back by Kansas City in 3 weeks we're ****ed. 

If we walk out of KC 0-3 its gonna be real crazy around here. I pray thats not what we are looking at! 

Edit: Yall think he asks God if the fade is there? Lmao

3 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Considering how Kirk played this past Sunday, maybe God IS a Skins fan lol...

By the way, whoever wrote that article got this part wrong:

"In fairness to Cousins (and God I suppose) the Redskins’ offer was not a good one. The team was offering him “only” $24 million in new guarantees, as he already has $29 million guaranteed by the franchise tag. "

In reality, the team was offering Kirk $48M in new guarantees, as he already had $24M guaranteed by the franchise tag. They got it all ass-backwards.

54 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Yes that is a glorious quote.  I think the thought comes from New Testament Apocrypha, which is one of the lost books of the bible, removed for whatever reason.  This season, and the off-season, are going to be an interesting ride. 

22 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

None of that negates the fact that if the Redskins sign Cousins to a LTD because "we have no Plan B", we're ****ed for a multitude of reasons.

Why on earth would Kirk want to sign a LTD contract with the Skins?  I don't see a chance in hell Kirk agrees to a LTD with Snyder.  

I don't know what lesson you drew from Sunday's opening day loss but if I was Cousins it would be there still isn't a defense or a running game and Snyder let both of my receivers go and the replacements are filling the shoes of the departed.  Doctson is doing nothing and Pryor is so-so.  Not negotiating with Bruce Allen and avoid getting stuck with Snyder was the smart play for Cousins.  After a crappy season Skins fans will be ready to let Cousins go so Snyder won't impose the FT so Kirk will be free.  I don't think potential suitors of Kirk will be deterred by a 5-11 season, they understand the Skins are crappy so Kirk will have 6-8 teams vying for his services.  After bagging 44M from Snyder I don't think Kirk will chose the highest bidder either, he'll pick the best franchise where he has a chance to win.

14 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Why on earth would Kirk want to sign a LTD contract with the Skins?  I don't see a chance in hell Kirk agrees to a LTD with Snyder.  

I don't know what lesson you drew from Sunday's opening day loss but if I was Cousins it would be there still isn't a defense or a running game and Snyder let both of my receivers go and the replacements are filling the shoes of the departed.  Doctson is doing nothing and Pryor is so-so.  Not negotiating with Bruce Allen and avoid getting stuck with Snyder was the smart play for Cousins.  After a crappy season Skins fans will be ready to let Cousins go so Snyder won't impose the FT so Kirk will be free.  I don't think potential suitors of Kirk will be deterred by a 5-11 season, they understand the Skins are crappy so Kirk will have 6-8 teams vying for his services.  After bagging 44M from Snyder I don't think Kirk will chose the highest bidder either, he'll pick the best franchise where he has a chance to win.

why would a good team want a guy with Kirk's history?

23 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

exasperated-gif-4.gif?resize=223,200

My post in no way, shape or form, had anything whatsoever to do with how Cousins played Sunday or whether or not he would want to sign with the Redskins.

18 hours ago, TheCoach22 said:

I also strongly disagree with this. It is a better team than last year. We forget that Garcon played much better than the prior year, bounced back in a contract year, and that DJax also performed in a contract year. We will see how they do in their new homes. The offense might be down a tick the first half of the season as the gel, but the D is much improved. We're a down fan base, but on paper this should be a better team. Cousins has a lot to do with whether or not that comes to be. He has to play better. He's going to get his yards in this system... but he needs to play better. He was awful on Sunday. Yes, others were too, but he has to take the next step for the team to take the next step.

I think the team is better in some areas; run D seems improved and overall team depth is better.

But the D still can't get off the field on 3rd downs, and the offense just plain stinks right now.

The o-line can't run block or pass-protect and the receiving corp is majorly downgraded. Until Pryor starts catching balls and Doctson actually shows he is an NFL caliber receiver, Ryan freaking Grant is going to be the star of this team. Let that sink in.

The schedule is brutal. I know schedules that look tough at the start of the season tend to change as it unwinds, but unless this team gets its **** together fast the losses are going to come in bunches.

18 hours ago, William Barbour said:

I don't agree with any of this. He gained his success from being a top sought out OC from Cincy. Fans ate irrational, so it doesn't really matter what they think. Look at this thread if you need examples lol.

There is no possible way Gruden is on the hot seat. 

Gruden didn't drop a punt, Gruden didn't overthrow a open WR in the RZ. Gruden didn't drop 2 INT that resulted in scoring drives. Gruden didn't miss several blocks. 

The play calling was pretty Damn good. WR were overthrown when they should of been easy TD. Several throws. 

Gruden called a great game. Players have to perform. 

I didn't say Gruden was on the hot seat.

I said IF things don't improve, and pretty quickly, he will be. Big difference. 

But, all of the things you listed are indeed player errors, but it is Gruden who has to get them focused and practicing on the mistakes made so they don't keep happening.  Now, Gruden isn't horrible at playcalling, but he would be better served being HC. As I said, being a HC he has alot on his plate; adding OC to it puts even more on his plate, to the degree it will eventually show its effects.

He has to communicate to all the players, emotionally-speaking; but he has to mentally be in the playbook ready for the next call.  It wasn't that long ago, we would see Cousins holding his hands in the air because Gruden didn't have a play yet, he was on the sidelines caught between places and that happened quite a few times.  Its very easy to get lost in the moment trying to do 2 jobs.

5 hours ago, carex said:

I'm sorry I don't think there were enough plays to judge that but if there were I'd say you're wrong.  Of the RBs rushes the Redskins were held to negative 1 yrds three times most of the other runs were for 4-6 yrds

And I am sorry there were not enough blocking to see enough run plays. Chicken or the egg. Gruden saw the run game wasn't going to get the job done that day. I want them to fix this for the next game and would like to see around 40%. 

7 minutes ago, zskins said:

And I am sorry there were not enough blocking to see enough run plays. Chicken or the egg. Gruden saw the run game wasn't going to get the job done that day. I want them to fix this for the next game and would like to see around 40%. 

I'm not sure that was a case of seeing it wasn't going to work or as a former QB who played in Arena League he's naturally a bit of a pass heavy guy and to often doesn't fght off his worse instincts enough

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

What if God told Kirk to throw it to Him on many pass plays? Maybe that's why the passes were so high.

We should start a list. Maybe God should tell him to cut out the redzone INTs.

Trying to be serious, his strong belief about not being at peace, well I simply can't see that changing anytime soon.

Archived