Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Who do you want in 1st round?.

HTTR 

Depends on who falls...or are you talking only about DL?

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The guy has a HUGE frame. He could bulk up a little bit and be a dominate 4-3 end IMO. 

Couple things...first, he does indeed have a huge frame, but he has never been a pass rusher in college. He got some sacks and he was good on blitzes, but he has the sideline to sideline range, is very good in coverage, and other attributes that make him a potentially elite ILB. Trying to push him into pass rusher duty would be a waste of his full range of talents. Secondly, we don't run a 4-3 so he would need to be a 3-4 OLB and depending on who we re-sign, etc we're pretty deep at that position. ILB, not so much.

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bills just traded up to the 12th pick so that precludes them from being a trade partner.  I guess the one good thing is it puts another team in play for a QB ahead of us

The idea that we were going to swap our 1 for both of theirs was always silly. Maybe if we had thrown a lot more in. 

So if you look at the team, realistically we need a WR, a RB, an OG, and on the defensive side a CB, a ILB, and a NT/DE(but really a NT).  That leaves us 6 starting spots to fill to be a solid team on paper. Assuming we get a top WR in free agency, as well as a top ILB, that leaves us with 4 positions in the draft, in order of probably importance: NT, RB, OG, and CB.  I think we like Moreau enough to see him as the #2 CB, but we still want a good nickel CB for #3 ahead of Dunbar, and I can see us drafting one later in the draft to develop, or a cheap free agent stop gap. Basically if Moreau does develop, its not AS critical.

So that being said, I see us attempting to draft NT and RB in the first 2 rounds, maybe OG thrown in if it falls that way, and if you can get your top targets there great, but then filling in some OLine picks around the next 1-2 picks. I think we could swing either a RB or OG in the first 2 rounds, missing out and drafting one later isnt too big of a deal as they both attempt to improve the running game.  But I do feel a NT is a must in the first 2 rounds, and the addition of one to go beside Jonathan Allen will go a long way to the defense finally having a decent year.

23 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The idea that we were going to swap our 1 for both of theirs was always silly. Maybe if we had thrown a lot more in. 

I didn't think they would either.  And I questioned here the idea of them swapping both firsts for #13.  Maybe their 2nd round pick and one of their firsts.  But we've been reading for a long time Buffalo wants to get into the top 10 to get a QB.  I bet they aren't done trading up.

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn't think they would either.  And I questioned here the idea of them swapping both firsts for #13.  Maybe their 2nd round pick and one of their firsts.  But we've been reading for a long time Buffalo wants to get into the top 10 to get a QB.  I bet they aren't done trading up.

Other options may be available, possibly.  Teams interested in QB could be AZ, PITT, NO.  Possibly.  Personally, I hope we have the opportunity to trade down better chance of hitting on a player with more rather than less picks in the top 75.

Yeah I like that Buffalo traded up. That means four QBs go before us and someone will take Barkley, Ridley and Nelson. That leaves five picks so one of the following will be available: Chubb, Vea, Payne, Smith, Fitzpatrick, James. Any of those six could be game changing for our D.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've seen several mocks where Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, and Baker Mayfield are all drafted by the sixth pick, which stands a good chance of happening if Cousins goes to Arizona or Minnesota.  On the other hand, there are several FA QBs who will find homes prior to the draft, which might not make it necessary for Buffalo to move up any higher.  Keenum, Sam Bradford, Bridgewater, Brees, and Foles (via a trade) may all find homes prior to the draft. 

Regarding QBs, free agency and the draft could be crazy this year. :)

4 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So if you look at the team, realistically we need a WR, a RB, an OG, and on the defensive side a CB, a ILB, and a NT/DE(but really a NT).  That leaves us 6 starting spots to fill to be a solid team on paper. Assuming we get a top WR in free agency, as well as a top ILB, that leaves us with 4 positions in the draft, in order of probably importance: NT, RB, OG, and CB.  I think we like Moreau enough to see him as the #2 CB, but we still want a good nickel CB for #3 ahead of Dunbar, and I can see us drafting one later in the draft to develop, or a cheap free agent stop gap. Basically if Moreau does develop, its not AS critical.

So that being said, I see us attempting to draft NT and RB in the first 2 rounds, maybe OG thrown in if it falls that way, and if you can get your top targets there great, but then filling in some OLine picks around the next 1-2 picks. I think we could swing either a RB or OG in the first 2 rounds, missing out and drafting one later isnt too big of a deal as they both attempt to improve the running game.  But I do feel a NT is a must in the first 2 rounds, and the addition of one to go beside Jonathan Allen will go a long way to the defense finally having a decent year.

The question has to be asked how many of these spots can be filled by growth from guys on our roster: 

WR: Doctson, Harris, Davis

RB: Perine, Bibbs and Marshall

OG: Kalis, Catalina and Kouandjio

CB: Dunbar, Moreau and Hosley

ILB: Vigil (and maybe JHC)

NT: Francis and Taylor

DE: Lanier

It would be foolish to expect all of these guys to be great going into next year but a number of them showed enough promise to ask a question of what can they do with expanded roles, and with the case of our upcoming 2nd year guys how much of the game clicks in this offseason. I think coaches and the front office is factoring this into the equation of who we go after. At minimum these guys are good depth at their respective positions, and could compete for a starting spot. But if they make the necessary improvements we can be in a position where we're dominant at one position and paper thin at another. 

This list is kinda why I'm so in favor of ILB in this draft. For one our pipeline is so thin there, but also Smith and Edmunds are mocked to go right around our pick. 

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I like that Buffalo traded up. That means four QBs go before us and someone will take Barkley, Ridley and Nelson. That leaves five picks so one of the following will be available: Chubb, Vea, Payne, Smith, Fitzpatrick, James. Any of those six could be game changing for our D.

Add Edmunds please

Random thoughts 3:30am ..........Sony Michel highlight videos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Guice's videos.....

And if Shaquem Griffin (LB with the missing hand) is available in the 5th-6th round and we pass him up, Im going to be pissed. I really think if he makes it that deep in the draft (I have no idea what round he projected to be taken in) we should take him. 

2 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Random thoughts 3:30am ..........Sony Michel highlight videos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Guice's videos.....

And if Shaquem Griffin (LB with the missing hand) is available in the 5th-6th round and we pass him up, Im going to be pissed. I really think if he makes it that deep in the draft (I have no idea what round he projected to be taken in) we should take him. 

He had such an impressive combine and such good reports from scouts at the senior bowl that I can see him picked before that (not sure where he is projected). He has the size speed and power that we need. I wonder about where he would line up, but if its an ILB spot I think he could be a good sleeper (not so hidden though).

I'm looking at https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/nfl-combine-results.cgi

It has a listing of combine results by different fields (this is something I've been looking for for YEARS, nice to see it at PFR).

Here are some names that may be nice late rounders:

- Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 6-4 WR, 4.37 40, http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/marquez-valdes-scantling?id=2560229

- Deon Cain, 6-2, WR, 4.43 40, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/deon-cain?id=2560147

- Kalen Ballage, 6-1, 228, RB, 4.46 40, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/kalen-ballage?id=2559995

- Rashaad Penny, 5-11, RB, 4.46 40, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/rashaad-penny?id=2559898

- Jester Weah WR

- Lorenzo Carter, 6-6, EDGE 4.5 40

- Kenny Young, 6-1 ILB 4.6 40

- Leighton Vander esch

- Micah Kiser

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'm looking at https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/nfl-combine-results.cgi

It has a listing of combine results by different fields (this is something I've been looking for for YEARS, nice to see it at PFR).

-

- Rashaad Penny, 5-11, RB, 4.46 40, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/rashaad-penny?id=2559898

- Leighton Vander esch

-

Good stuff -- I'd say though Penny is looking like a 2nd-3rd Rder.  Vander Esch has buzz that he's a late first rounder.    I'd love either guy though neither are my favs at their positions.

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

- Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 6-4 WR, 4.37 40, http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/marquez-valdes-scantling?id=2560229

- Deon Cain, 6-2, WR, 4.43 40, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/deon-cain?id=2560147

- Kalen Ballage, 6-1, 228, RB, 4.46 40, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/kalen-ballage?id=2559995

- Jester Weah WR

- Lorenzo Carter, 6-6, EDGE 4.5 40

- Kenny Young, 6-1 ILB 4.6 40

- Leighton Vander esch

- Micah Kiser

Rashaad Penny is probably a day 2 guy. He certainly is based on talent. His pass blocking is horrific. 

Ballage is an excellent pass catching dude, but he didn't test as well as expected and his lack of reps on the bench while not important for the position kind of reinforces the rumors that he's another Michael Westbunk (ungodly athleticism, no passion for the game). 

Cain never delivered up to expectations. 

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

He had such an impressive combine and such good reports from scouts at the senior bowl that I can see him picked before that (not sure where he is projected). He has the size speed and power that we need. I wonder about where he would line up, but if its an ILB spot I think he could be a good sleeper (not so hidden though).

I grew up during a time when sleeper was a good player who no one knew about and thus were available as low round picks or even UDFAs.  Now, it seems sleepers are the guys who end up going several rounds higher than projected.  Seems that the only 'diamonds in the rough' are guys with red flags or injury issues that get past those issues.

I doubt we draft dline. We've got the mcreplacements for another yeAR and Iaon and Allen looked good. We've got a monster hole at ILB yet again, which couldn't have been made more after having ZB instead of Compton last year. Not drafting a position because you already bought into it is ****ing dumb, but we're in win mode and our FO inspirES nothing. I'm also not high on the DTs. Paynes been fun to watch though.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I doubt we draft dline. We've got the mcreplacements for another yeAR and Iaon and Allen looked good. We've got a monster hole at ILB yet again, which couldn't have been made more after having ZB instead of Compton last year.

Ioan and Allen did look great when healthy.  But that was in the Nickel.  Ioan and Allen can't move further inside to the 1 tech in a Base D.  McGee is best as a strongside 5 tech, but not good when lined up further in.  I think McClain was largely a disappointment.  We have good DL pieces, but we're seriously lacking in a specific area.  So we're tossing people in there that aren't suited for it.  McClain, Hood, Ioan, McGee, and Allen all get bullied when you're in the 1 tech spot.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not drafting a position because you already bought into it is ****ing dumb, but we're in win mode and our FO inspirES nothing. I'm also not high on the DTs. Paynes been fun to watch though.

I'm confused, did you want us to draft Reuben Foster or Jarrad Davis instead of Jonathan Allen?

I'm not sold on T Edmunds at 13. From what I'm reading, he has a lot of athletic talent and frame and what not, but doesn't know what he is doing. At 13 I want a sure thing or close to it, not a project we hope we can coach up. One knock against J Allen last year was that teams ahead of us thought he has maxed out, reached his ceiling sort of thing and with the shoulder he fell. I would like something similar, a blue chip prospect or close to it like LB R Smith, S D James, CB M Fitzpatrick etc... Guys who were top 15 prospects long before the combine and after it.

Archived