Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

21 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

The more I watch this the more I want a trade back by the minutes. Nab a 2 or 3 with a trade down. Grab the number 1 back on your board in the 20's. Go d-line with that second. 3rd take that guard starter. The rest you fill out your depth and spots that could experience a free agent purge like OLB. It sounds too easy I know but watching the inactivity in free agency this year I should not expect too much.

Right there with you, and yes, having 3 picks in the first 3 rounds to address the spots you mention is a big part of it.  

Waiting till rd 4 for a G, DL or back is risky.  

13 also isn’t a great spot for G or RB, and likely leaves us choosing between Vea and Payne - neither of which is a no brainer at that point.  

Taking Guice (if he lasts) in the 20s may lead to a run on backs, which could push other talent (DL/oline) down to #44.  Could also have the added benefit of denying the Giants a top back (not that we should focus on that).  

Three picks (for 3 potential starters) would also somewhat alleviate a fairly lackluster free agency.  

There’s a bit of a nightmare scenario of staying pat at 13 causing us to miss on one of the top 5-6 backs, then we force a rb pick at 44, and our lack of a 3rd causes us to miss on help for the trenches.  

On the bright side, we’ve addressed the receiver spot (added speed), and if we get Vea/Payne, we’re likely much improved (especially in our base D) vs the run.  Take a good G in the 2nd and we’ve at least seriously addressed our 3 biggest weaknesses.  Means we miss out on a top back (again), and that would seriously suck, but I’d at least be a bit optimistic that our ground game could still improve significantly with better blocking.  Puts the onus on Perine/Kelley/Bibbs, but we haven’t seen those guys play with good run blocking.

17 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

What a stupid move by the Jets. They traded up to 3th spot BEFORE THE DRAFT. If they get unlucky then Browns take a QB, Bills trade with Giants for a QB and they can get the 3th QB...stupid stupid stupid. They showed their hand way to early. 

Yeah I agree. Think they pushed the panic button way too soon. The best they can do is to get the second best qb in the draft if the Browns choose Barkley with the 1st pick.

Crazy. The Colts are making out.

Sounds like the Jets tried for #2 but Giants wouldn’t do it. I wonder if they’re dead set on someone who won’t be there st 6. Gotta think Saquan. Or they think the Bills will give them a boatload for #2. 

Either way the Colts will have a shot at either Nelson, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick/James. 

Not a bad spot to be in and you now have 3 early 2nd rounders. Man, so jealous. 

Bad news for us is that the Giants now win either way. They get either Saquan or 100 picks in exchange for #2. 

Actually the best case I think for Sjins fans is giants go Nelson at 2. He will be a beast but if i has to pick between him, Saquan or 4-5 early picks to disperse throughout the roster, I’d pick Nelson

I now believe the Giants will draft a QB, if they believe a franchise QB is available when they pick.  Eli just doesn't have much left in the tank.  I also believe that Cleveland must take their QB at #1 to ensure they get the QB they want.  Barkley may be there at #4 after all if the Browns want him.

23 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I now believe the Giants will draft a QB, if they believe a franchise QB is available when they pick.  Eli just doesn't have much left in the tank.  I also believe that Cleveland must take their QB at #1 to ensure they get the QB they want.  Barkley may be there at #4 after all if the Browns want him.

Agree how else are you going to get a shot at a top QB to replace Eli, (2nd pick in draft) you better take a QB and have him for 4 years on a rookie contract with the way Kirk blew up the QB salaries.  Cut ELi next year and move on.

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I'd wager on the Browns trading back from #4 and screwing someone over. I mean if Barkley slides past those first two picks, what's the chances we consider jumping up....

I dont think we have enough to give up, to make it worth it... We'd have to give up a lot... and we don't have a ton to spare.  

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

After reading up on things i gotta say I’d rather stay at 13 and take Guice there than trade anything to move up for Saquan. I think Guice will be a stud 

We made it obvious we are going to upgrade at RB. I think it’s likely all of the quality starting RBs will be gone by our pick in the 2nd, so without a third, I think we are stuck. I bet we try like hell to trade down (if one of the QBs is still there) and take Guice at 17-20.

Also, apparently Roquan Smith had medical concerns at combine and will slip out of top 10. 

My my preference would be to sign Demarco Murray for reasonable deal so we don’t reach for a RB.

I guess I should say I would take Guice at 13 over trading up for Barkley between those 2 scenarios. But I’d rather trade down and get an RB in the 20’s, add a 3rd and 4th or at best a 2nd. Then use the 2nd and extra pick to address NT and OL. Gotta have that trade partner though.

Something like that could allow you to go Guice, Settle/Phillips, and Then a Guard or CB with the extra pick in either round 2/3

or you get Payne/Vea in the 20’s and use the extra pick to package with 44 to move up if you think you’re gonna miss at RB

10 minutes ago, pray4surf said:

Send Cravens and 44th pick to CLE for the 35th pick.  Not that CLE would but that would give us a shot at a top RB. 

That would be about a 4th round value. Cleveland wouldn’t take him cause they’ve got Peppers for that spot. But another team might. But it would take a perfect storm. 

RB In the top 15 other than Barkley is a reach. Good chance he slips out the top 5, Giants are going QB or Nelson for me. We've got an extra 3 and 5 banked for next year. I think trading future picks is a strong possibility. Last year tried it to get Foster. Can see it again. 

who knows if that's true below, but every now and then I see the Guice over Barkley stuff.  I love Guice.  But for me Barkley is the guy.  But since we likely have no shot at Barkley, I'd be happy with Guice.

Besides Guice the player -- I like the bonus of the attitude he brings, add a little juice to a subdued group of players personality wise on offense.  It was interesting to hear Cooley talk about the subject of locker room personality recently -- he thinks there are too many quiet guys on the offensive side of the ball. His thought is you need a guy who can fire up the squad even if its just by example on the field.  Guice plays like Garcon -- seems to act like him, too.  I read Michel also has a little bit of that in him -- fires up the troops.

#49ers general manager John Lynch has Derrius Guice as his RB1 over Saquon Barkley. [@LedyardNFLDraft]

6 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Actually the best case I think for Sjins fans is giants go Nelson at 2. He will be a beast but if i has to pick between him, Saquan or 4-5 early picks to disperse throughout the roster, I’d pick Nelson

Agreed.  Saquon is the best player in the class and the best RB to come along pretty much since LT.  I do not want to have to play against him twice a year.  They'd be crazy to pick Nelson over Saquon though.  That's why I'm hoping the Browns take him first.

7 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

Agree how else are you going to get a shot at a top QB to replace Eli, (2nd pick in draft) you better take a QB and have him for 4 years on a rookie contract with the way Kirk blew up the QB salaries.  Cut ELi next year and move on.

Yup, agree 100%. Giants won't have a better chance to take their QB of the future. Give Eli 1 maaaaaybe 2 more years with the squad they have then re-tool around their new QB.

Guice is a reach at 13.  I like him a lot, but  Lamar Jackson Minkah, Roquan, Payne, Nelson, Ward, and James are all better than him.  One or more of them is going to be there because at least four QBs are going to go top twelve and Saquon and Chubb are top ten locks. 

Guice looked fast at the combine, but that doesn't mean he's the player he was in 2016.  Royce Freeman never got his sophomore speed back.

If Derwin doesn’t drop, there isn’t much to be excited about at 13. I’d like to see us take advantage of the Bills need for ammunition by trading them pick 13 for picks in next years draft & possibly the 2020 draft. Two #1s next year would put us in position to take advantage of one of the most talent rich DT classes in a long time. We should move out of round 1 entirely and look to make our move next year. Buffalo could get where they want to be with the 12 & 13 and, the more they play their rookie QB, the better the first rounder in 2019 becomes. It’s a great scenario for Washington.

I also think we should trade Trent. He’s a blunt away from missing a season, we aren’t ready to contend for a title, and teams have never been more desperate for tackles. We could easily get another #1 in 2019, + several other valuable picks for Trent. Ty can play LT for us and we’d be fine. Then in 2019 we have more assets and a better foundation than these Browns everyone is lauding. The Browns who should have traded Joe Thomas. I love Trent, but the desperation for tackles is something we are in a great position to exploit. Pugh & Solder locking up massive contracts let’s us know teams would give quite a bit for our tackle. 

We wouldn’t be much worse this year & we would have quite a bit to build with moving forward. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

We wouldn’t be much worse this year & we would have quite a bit to build with moving forward. 

We'd be a lot worse.  Trent is our best player.  We're not trading him.  The FO and coaching staff think we're close and they're not going to tank for draft picks.  You don't trade your best young defensive player and a third rounder for Alex Smith and then sign him to a 24 million per year extension unless you're trying to win now.

Archived