Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

19 hours ago, PlayAction said:

I had hoped that a team interested in a QB would give the Skins an option for a trade down from pick 13.  But it's looking like the QBs are going to go quickly.  NFL Mocks was talking about the best eight players other than 4 QBs.  While 8 + 4 is less than the 13th pick there's usually some other player that gets picked earlier than the pundits suggest.  Here are the eight they mention:

Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State
Derwin James, S, Florida State
Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Tremaine Edmunds, ILB, Virginia Tech
Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
Bradley Chubb, OLB, NC State

Obviously, Saquon Barkley will not still be on the board when the Skins pick.  Any of the others are possibilities (some more remote than others).  So, do you just take whomever is remaining as he may be the BPA at that point in the draft?  Or do you pass and select a player not on the list?  Which of the above players would you NOT pick if all the others had already been selected?  Assume the Skins have no trade down offers (4 QBs have been picked plus 7 of the above 8).  Keep in mind that it's impossible to know whether any particular highly ranked player will be available for the second round selection.

There seems to be a building consensus that the draft is going to hollow out after the first 10 or 11 picks are made. 

To my mind, at that point, you trade down, period.

The you have to have someone to dance w/argument doesn't really fly with me. You try to get top dollar for moving down as there are always teams that will want the next best talent available at particular positions, and the key is #1 asking and trying to squeeze full value and failing that, doing a move we did when we traded down and took Doctson two years ago. Not a ton back, but still something. To my mind, if we have enough guys that fit needs and are in the next tier, and I think there are, then you move back and get what you can get, maybe it's full value in the antiquated Jimmy Johnson Chart, maybe it isn't, doesn't matter, move down and pick up the most you can squeeze while still remaining in the next tier of players that fit your needs and are valued similarly, for instance:

QB: 

Mayfield

RB:

Guice

Chubb

Freeman

Michel

Penny

WR: 

None

TE:

Goedert

Gesicki

OL:

McGlinchey

DL:

Vea

Payne

Bryan

Hurst

Edge:

Landry

Davenport

LB:

None

Corner:

None

Safety:

D. James

Goedert

Some positions I'm more comfortable with my eval than others (RB, WR, TE, for instance, not as confident in my Defense evals, though I think I'm decent at edge), but you basically count up the projected picks, most likely players to go and make sure you don't move down outside the likely zone where your guys would go. Pretty simple. For me, because of the RB depth, I'd eliminate RB from the thought process, and instead focus on how far I could go down and have a shot at the DL/EDGE/DB/TE/OL/+Guice that's tops in my below blue chip (Top 11-12 or thereabouts this year) zone. So for me, unless a blue chip falls down to me, I'm more than likely willing to drop down about a good 10-15 slots. I think we could get someone in that Landry, Davenport, James, Goedert, Gesicki, Guice tier as long as we don't dip below around slot 25 or thereabouts. If we go below 25 I'm just not sure, though I think we'd probably be safe till about slot 30.

My objective would be two fold:

Trade down about 10 slots, take our best tier Defensive player or TE with that pick, then use the booty we got from the trade down, plus our 2nd, to move back up and secure a RB before the huge tier 2 RB run starts (I'm expecting about six RB's to go between around slot  28 in round 1 and the early to mid 3rd round, and I think it's highly possible, Guice, Chubb, and Michel are all off the board before we pick right now in round 2. For me, I could live with that because I suspect Royce Freeman will still be available until mid third to early 4th, but I'm not sure after his excellent combine). 

So again, for me, trade down to somewhere between about slot 18 and slot 25, take the best defensive player, TE, or Guice, if not Guice, then use assets gained from trade down, plus our 2nd to move up for a RB unless we think we can wait on Freeman. 

Penny is my fallback of fall backs, he's the last of the guys I'd be super comfortable drafting (my order right now is 1. Barkley 2. Guice 3. Chubb 4. Freeman 5. Michel and 6. Penny) althought when I'm done, I might actually move him ahead of Michel. 

Anyway after that at RB, you have a pretty sizable tier drop. Yes many have Ronald Jones in that tier, but I don't because #1 I don't have the combine #'s which are crucial for that position and #2 I think he's a duplicate (superior perhaps) to what we have in Thompson, just more bell cow chops). 

What we need at RB is a legit bell cow with the athleticism and passing game chops to be used on all 3 downs and at times interchangably with Thompson (Penny's horrific pass blocking chops don't keep him off my board, but they are a concern). 

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim this morning. He joked about how much Doug Williams is playing up drafting a RB. He goes if you ask Doug what did you have for lunch, he would respond by saying we are getting a running back.

He said they have concerns that the sweet spot for RB falls in between their pick at #13 and their #44 pick.

They are correct:

Teams that need a RB picking between our 1st and 2nd rounder:

1. Baltimore

2. Seattle

3. Detroit

4. Buffalo

5. New England (2 picks)

6. Cleveland (2 picks)

7. New York Giants

8. Indy (2 picks)

9. Tampa Bay

10. Denver

11. Oakland

12. Miami

In addition there are other teams that partially have a need including Pittsburgh (Are they really going with Conner if Bell leaves?), Green Bay (are they okay with jamaal williams and Aaron Jones (I'm okay with them, especially with Jones), Atlanta (Coleman is a UFA in 2019), Carolina (I don't get the sense they want him as a full time bell cow), and Philly (not quite sure they'd be satisfied with Ajayi's knees and the ex-Wisconsin kid). 

There won't be 15 RB's or more taken between those slots, but I think it's a darn good bet that New York, New England, Indy, Tampa Bay, and Miami at bare minimum use one of their draft picks between slot 1 and our 2nd rounder, and there's a good chance Seattle, Detroit, Baltimore, Denver and Oakland will too (I'd place the stronger odds on Seattle, Detroit, and Baltimore with slightly lesser odds on Denver (they still seem to like Booker) and Oakland (they've got a lot of quality satellite backs and now seem to have two 1st/2nd down guys as well). 

If we have a tier 2 that is only3-4 RB's deep, we won't be able to get our guy at our current 2nd round slotting unless our guy is Jones (then we might have a chance-though I'd have zero understanding why Jones would be our guy considering we already have a good version of that kind of RB in Thompson). 

Nope, if we want a top 5 or 6 RB in this draft, we will have to trade up from our 2nd round slot, or trade down and take him later on in round 1.

The two zones that appear definitively most risky if we wait too long to me are:

1.) Slots16-20: 

I suspect at least one RB will be taken here, or taken by a team in this region which trades down. 

2.) Slots 28-37:

I think there's  a very good chance 3-5 RB's go off the board between these picks. 

So essentially between around slot 16-37 I suspect around 5 to 6 RB's to go off the board. 

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

They are correct:

Teams that need a RB picking between our 1st and 2nd rounder:

Nice work.  I see it the same way.   Granted mocks or just mocks -- but in them the sweet spot seems to be the first 10 picks in the 2nd round.  If they trade down they likely could get the first RB they like save Barkley.

For me I feel like someone who has been in the RB desert -- I wanted one early last off season, too.  So heck I wouldn't hate it if they just took Guice at #13 if they didn't find a trading partner.   It's a reach but I'd rather reach and get a guy than not.

There is some noise that the Dolphins and 49ers like Guice. 

@The ConsigliereNice post.  Agree on several front - in particular that you don’t have to get actual trade chart value out of a trade back.  If you wind up with a guy in the same tier and net a lower than expected pick, that’s just more ammo for later.  If we drop to the 20s, I’d take Guice( if available) in a heartbeat... but I’d be happy to trade back up.  Given this rb class, waiting till our 2nd is risky.  Hoping Freeman or Penny are there later is equally risky, IMO.  

Also agree about Jones (for us), and I agree about Michel - he checks a lot of the boxes, but just didn’t wow me like those others did.  I keep mentioning him as a top 3 or so (minus Barkley), but I think that’s more me caving to peer pressure, lol.  

Edit: I was responding to the 1st of your two posts... but I wholeheartedly agree with the 2nd one too

Notice you don’t have Johnson on there... I’d be curious to read your thoughts on him.  

I think the fact we’ve had a lot more money tied up in our offense paved the way for what we’re seeing this offseason.  We’re spending our cap (mostly) on D, and then will look closest at O early in the draft.  Of course, that could change if we don’t have a (fairly significant) DL addition in FA,... and there are the wildcards of corner and OLB.  

One last point, if we take Guice at 13, I think we could start the rb run a bit earlier.  Regardless, a run on backs pushes talent down to our 2nd pick, which helps us.  I think my ideal is trade down a few spots, grab Guice (or a bit further and take a different back), stay pat at 44 for oline (or dline, or whatever really), and then use the pick(s) we gain to draft more help.  

10 hours ago, -JB- said:

I would say I You absolutely have to draft Barkley if he were to somehow slide to #13.

Absolutely, he's probably the cleanest RB prospect I've ever seen. The only guys I can think of who approached his valuation since I've been watching drafts (1987, I didn't have cable till I was 12) would be Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Ricky Williams, LT2, Adrian Peterson and Todd Gurley pre-knee injury. Those are the guys that are around the same scale and in many ways most of them had flaws that Barkley doesnt, or lacked something Barkley has: Sanders was a major bounce outside guy, Williams had mental make up issues (severe anxiety disorder), LT2 hadn't been used at all in the passing game, and people were concerned if I remember right w/the competition (the passing game angle is funny in retrospect), A.P. had no pass catching chops, appeared a bit injury prone, and had a disappointing final bowl game (one of the most famous of all time), while Gurley blew up his knee at Georgia. 

Barkley concerns some people a teeny bit with the inside running (bounces outside a bit too much for some), but that's it. There are no red flags to speak of beyond that that I've ever heard anyone mention which to my mind, makes him the cleanest elite RB I've ever seen. 

So yeah, absolutely take him.

The problem is he's guaranteed to be gone before we pick:

1. NYG at 2: May take him though most believe they won't.

2. Cleveland @ 1 or @ 4 because it would be idiotic not to take him. 

3. Indy @ 6: Because there are major concerns that Mack is a major bounce outside guy (had the most bizarre splits ever in terms of explosive gains and negative plays).

4. Tampa Bay: He's a lock to go to Tampa if he falls there. 

One of these four teams will take him.

Outside Chance:

5 Denver: If they end up having their hearts set on a particular QB, and he's gone at 5, I could see them replacing the Booker/D. Henderson combo with Barkley. Too much talent to pass up.

Only way I see Barkley dropping below 7 is if a Laremy Tunsil type thing hits during draft day or in the days leading up to the draft. 

Can someone enlighten me with details for Justin Watson from Penn? 6'2 , 220lbs, with a 4.4 40 and 40 inch vertical. Long arms, big hands, highly productive, and plays both outside, slot and ST. He is also known to be extremely hard working, highly intelligent, and great in the locker room (Marry your daughter type)

How does this guy make it to the 5th/6th round? Skin Color? (Half serious)

Three mock draft runs and 3 diff. unfolding scenarios. Used the same draft board for consistency each time AND assumed we don't bring in Hankins. I was going back and forth on that, because for quite a few days I was convinced he was coming and we'd be passing on NT altogether. So obviously the tenor of these would completely change if we ultimately land him.

Mock 1: Straight no-trades

1.13: Vita Vea, NT Washington

2.12: Sony Michel, RB Georgia

4.13: Sean Welsh, OG Iowa

5.12: Shaun-Dion Hamilton, ILB Alabama

6.14: Siran Neal, FS Jacksonville State

7.13: Jordan Thomas, TE Miss. State

7.23: George Senat, OT Wagner

Mock 2: Realistic trade-back: Trade 1.13 to Seattle for 1.18 + 4/5/5

1.18: Vita Vea, NT Washington

2.12: Ronald Jones, RB USC

4.13: Shaquem Griffin, S/LB UCF (replace Cravens?)

4.20: Will Clapp, C/G LSU

5.12: Jordan Whitehead, S Pitt

5.19: Hercules Mata'Afa, Edge Washington

5.31: Desmond Harrison, OT Western Georgia

6.14: Shaun-Dion Hamilton, ILB Alamaba

7.13: Levi Wallace, CB Alabama

7.23: Jeff Badet, WR Oklahoma

Mock 3: Realistic big trade-back: Trade 1.13 to NE for 1.31, 2.11, 3.31

1.31: Will Hernandez, G UTEP

2.11: Harrison Phillips, DT Stanford

2.12: Sony Michel, RB Georgia

3.31 Deshon Elliot, S Texas

4.13: MJ Stewart, CB UNC

5.12: Antonio Callaway, WR Florida

6.14: Poona Ford, NT Texas

7.13: Azeem Victor, ILB Washington

7.23: Levi Wallace, CB Alabama

14 minutes ago, pcbothwel said:

Can someone enlighten me with details for Justin Watson from Penn? 6'2 , 220lbs, with a 4.4 40 and 40 inch vertical. Long arms, big hands, highly productive, and plays both outside, slot and ST. He is also known to be extremely hard working, highly intelligent, and great in the locker room (Marry your daughter type)

How does this guy make it to the 5th/6th round? Skin Color? (Half serious)

I really hope we take a flyer on Justin in the draft.  His measurable's came out great at their Pro-Day and he has made good "football" plays for some time now.  He would be an excellent risk/reward type player.  HTTR

2 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/jay-gruden-good-possibility-we-draft-a-running-back-early/

Looks like we ARE drafting Guice at 13.

SMH.

Edit: In all likelihood, we are trading down and probably drafting him.

Unless we are totally married to him at that valuation, I tend to doubt it. I think we'll try like mad to trade down from 13, if we can't, I think we'll go defense at 13, and then rob from the loaded '19 draft to trade up from slot 43 to get the best RB we have ranked in that next tier (I think the consensus has some combination of Chubb, Michel, Penny, Jones and Guice, I include Freeman, but he doesn't seem to be a part of the general consenus in that range), my guess would be we're prirotizing Guice, Michel, Jones and Penny, and if we're convinced that Chubb's combine matters more than the tape in terms of recovery from his 2015 Knee implosion, then I imagine we'd have Chubb #3 or #2 on our board). 

My nightmare scenario is two fold: 

#1 We trade 2019 draft picks to move up

#2 We take Ronald Jones at 13

#3 We hope to land one of those guys, fail, and reach kinda like last year, for a tier 3 guy in the tier 2 zone. 

I can live with Guice at slot #13 a lot more than any of those scenarios unless it's scenario 3 with us taking Freeman, in which case I'd be happy since I love his profile. I don't want to lose 2019 draft assets, we'll need them because we're going to be terrible this year, 4-6 wins in my view, the picks will be even higher next year and in a draft loaded at some areas of need like WR. I just dont think Jones makes sense so I hate that scenario. In terms of #3, last year there were better RB's that were available that fit our needs on day 3 like Mack, and Aaron Jones, and most importantly if we had Dalvin Cook as high on our board as it sounded (rumored to be our taget at 17 until Allen fell), then we sure as hell should have traded for Cook when he was still there several picks into round 2 when in terms of talent, the guy played like a top 10 pick (combine was god awful). 

so, I see it being talked about the Skins might draft RB early, and this Guice guy is the second best RB.  I have seen nothing to suggest this is someone we'd be lucky to get at 13.  With the trading up for QBs and the guys definitely better than him I feel like we'd be fools for not trading back if this guy is our goal.  Am I right?

10 minutes ago, carex said:

so, I see it being talked about the Skins might draft RB early, and this Guice guy is the second best RB.  I have seen nothing to suggest this is someone we'd be lucky to get at 13.  With the trading up for QBs and the guys definitely better than him I feel like we'd be fools for not trading back if this guy is our goal.  Am I right?

Yeah. I think his ceiling is #20 to Detroit. And if Detroit passes, then I think the floor is probably somewhere around 33-36 with the run of Giants, Colts, Broncos, Browns, Bucs in the 2nd round. Assuming 1 of them takes Barkley in the 1st. So if Barkley goes to Denver at 5 ... maybe Cleveland passes on RB since they have Hyde/Johnson with their 2nds (maybe going for someone should they fall in the 3rd) ... but I'd expect Bucs, Colts, Giants and then before us the Raiders to draft an RB.

James would be my target at 13 unless someone in the top -10-12 blue chip falls to us. Before a disappointing season in '17, and considering the total team wide implosion that happened in '17, I view him like Wilfork 15 years ago (14 really), where he had a subpar senior year and was an absolute STEAL at the bottom of round 1 after having a top 3-5 grade going into the fall of '04. Well while Wilfork's issue was a personal tragedy if memory serves, James had to deal with a coach quitting on the team, the team quitting on itself and a QB injury during game 1 of the season that basically flushed said season down the toilet. A lot of times prospects go into the tank when the roof caves in on a season, or sell out for themselves and nothing else. James has top 5 talent, but had a subpar season. He is ABSOLUTELY the type of guy you target with the 13th overall pick if he's there because he has potential All Pro level skills and tools to work with. 

It's also another reason I'm so infuriated with the Alex Smith trade. Bad enough we lost an elite corner for a borderline replacement level QB, even worse that we traded away the asset we'd need to trade up to get a rb in round 2 w/o stealing from the 2019 draft to do it. Now if we end up staying at 13 and going defense, you bet your rear end we will have to trade 2019 draft assets to move up for a RB which I find completely and totally unacceptable. You don't EVER trade from future year drafts under any circumstances unless you're trading up for a legit potential franchise QB. Otherwise, NEVER. And yet, we've played our way into possibly doing that due to that idiotic trade and the half-blanked handling of the Cousins negotiations. 

It's just another nail in the coffin of my redskins fandom, after 25 years of this pathetic ineptitude, it's hard to care at all anymore. 

4 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

James would be my target at 13 unless someone in the top -10-12 blue chip falls to us. Before a disappointing season in '17, and considering the total team wide implosion that happened in '17, I view him like Wilfork 15 years ago (14 really), where he had a subpar senior year and was an absolute STEAL at the bottom of round 1 after having a top 3-5 grade going into the fall of '04. Well while Wilfork's issue was a personal tragedy if memory serves, James had to deal with a coach quitting on the team, the team quitting on itself and a QB injury during game 1 of the season that basically flushed said season down the toilet. A lot of times prospects go into the tank when the roof caves in on a season, or sell out for themselves and nothing else. James has top 5 talent, but had a subpar season. He is ABSOLUTELY the type of guy you target with the 13th overall pick if he's there because he has potential All Pro level skills and tools to work with. 

It's also another reason I'm so infuriated with the Alex Smith trade. Bad enough we lost an elite corner for a borderline replacement level QB, even worse that we traded away the asset we'd need to trade up to get a rb in round 2 w/o stealing from the 2019 draft to do it. Now if we end up staying at 13 and going defense, you bet your rear end we will have to trade 2019 draft assets to move up for a RB which I find completely and totally unacceptable. You don't EVER trade from future year drafts under any circumstances unless you're trading up for a legit potential franchise QB. Otherwise, NEVER. And yet, we've played our way into possibly doing that due to that idiotic trade and the half-blanked handling of the Cousins negotiations. 

It's just another nail in the coffin of my redskins fandom, after 25 years of this pathetic ineptitude, it's hard to care at all anymore. 

I am not at all interested in a DB right now.  Fuller has had one good year so it's presumptive to already call him elite. 

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_NFL_Draft

We're not even at the 2018 draft and there's already been 12 to 16 2019 picks traded by up to 13 teams.  Only one involves a potential franchise QB

Blue-Chippers who could fall to 13, In order of probability:

Denzel Ward, Roquan Smith, Derwin James

Of those, I would prefer to get James. If he's there at 13, if we aren't facing an obvious trade-down, I'd hope we take him.

That's the benefit of getting Hankins over not. It really does let you use #13 for anything, and not feel like you have to trade-back to make it fit with a NT, or over-draft a NT there.

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yeah. I think his ceiling is #20 to Detroit. And if Detroit passes, then I think the floor is probably somewhere around 33-36 with the run of Giants, Colts, Broncos, Browns, Bucs in the 2nd round. Assuming 1 of them takes Barkley in the 1st. So if Barkley goes to Denver at 5 ... maybe Cleveland passes on RB since they have Hyde/Johnson with their 2nds (maybe going for someone should they fall in the 3rd) ... but I'd expect Bucs, Colts, Giants and then before us the Raiders to draft an RB.

I think he could go 16 to Baltimore. They let Woodhead go and are left with Alex Collins (who looked perfectly fine), Buck Allen whose subpar, and Kenneth Dixon whose sustained injuries, and been suspended after being drafted in '16. 

In addition to Baltimore, other risks:

Green Bay at 14: I don't anticipate them going that way, but they do seem to be working to give a last run to Rodgers over the next couple of years, and they have consistently misread the talent in their backfield. Aaron Jones is a legit potential stud, they had him as their 3rd back, Jamaal Williams is a replacement level plodder+, they preferred him to Jones and by the end of the year to Ty Montgomery, converted WR into RB. So could they go RB? Certainly. Both Jones and Williams are day 3 backs, and Ty is supposedly probably gonna be moved back to WR.

Seattle at 18: Chris Carson, out most of the year in '17, CJ Prosise, basically been injured everytime he tied his shoe since being drafted in '16, and JD McKissic who is their sattelite back for now after Prosise couldn't stay healthy for longer than 17 seconds. I heard them connected to some RB FA visits but I don't see any signings on the feed. They are definitely a threat to take an RB unless they focus on the OL and the D.

Buffalo at 22: McCoy was expected to be a cut in '18, but he's back, so they are almost certainly looking for RB this year or next. 

Carolina at 24: They don't see McCaffrey as a bell cow and just let Stewart go.

Atlanta at 26: Coleman is a free agent in 2019 and Freeman fought injuries throughout 2017. 

Pittsburgh at 28: Conner was knocked out for the year, and Lev Bell may not be back in 2019. Conner has now had two serious knee injuries in three years and battled back from cancer. They need RB help. 

New England at 31: They brought Burkhead back, have James White, and Jeremy Hill and Mike Gillislie will probably fight for the same role, so maybe they're fine at RB, not sure. 

Philly at 32: I think they're fine with Ajayi, Clement and Smallwood in the short term but not positive they are, as all 3 have issues.

To me these are the landing spots I could imagine Guice falling into other than Detroit in round 1. I definitely think he could go at any of these slots, especially the bolded ones. We can't really trade down specifically for Guice because there are just way too many teams that might pull the trigger on him, the trade down or trade up should be focused on preserving the second tier of RB's for our next available pick. To my mind that means trading to a slot in front of Pittsburgh at 28 or if they don't take a RB, trade in front of the start of day 2/round 2. Otherwise we are in deep doody. 

Oh and in response to another question earlier, I am not really a believer in Kerryon Johnson. Didn't see enough to be excited looking at the video and the combine was really disappointing (and combine info is pretty reliable in models at projecting chances at future success for RB's (not so with WR's). 

12 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Still find it a joke that all we're getting for Cousins, whose the highest paid player in NFL history is a late 3rd rounder.. You know if this was Dallas Jerry would be asking for a rule change and 1st round pick in compensation..

What makes it even funnier is that Minnesota is getting the same return for their one-year rental of Keenum... It is what it is

No need to beat a dead horse, but this isn't an NFL rules problem, this is a Redskins FO problem.

I'd prefer to grab him in a trade back but I'll go on record and say that Guice at any pick wouldn't have me upset. I think he's a stud and would improve our team markedly.

However, if a Ward, Smith, James, Fitzpatrick, or Vea are there I think you have to take them, improve the defense, and then dip into the second tier of RBs. There is bound to be a good RB there at 44 that can help us.

Volsmet, regarding the BJ hill question from a couple of pages ago, I'm not really sure. I don't know how heavily to weight a 3 cone drill for a defensive tackle. I would tend to think that initial get off would be most important and would look at the 10 yard split, vertical jump and broad jump if I wanted a good sense of athleticism. 

Can anyone here speak to which physical tests best predict success in 1, 3 and 5 technique players?

2 hours ago, carex said:

Teams are beginning to blow a lot of smoke to disguise their intentions.  I wouldn't pay attention to anything that any team says now about their draft plans.  For all we know the Skins see some first round graded players at OL/DL that may fall to their second round pick if other teams select a bunch of the RBs.  Then if those teams have had their fill at RB the remaining RBs could fall all the way to the 4th round. Who knows? 

You can add that the rumors with us the past two years were wrong, so perhaps they've finally plugged the leak problems, but the candid talk about RB needs is exceedingly annoying. While obvious, it shouldn't be the business of the F.O. to be straight forward about anything in terms of team building with the media before a draft. It just makes no sense to telegraph moves ahead of time. 

Based on our last few drafts, the Skins have been patient and stuck to their board. I hope they do the same and not get too infatuated with one single player/position that they make unscripted trades/moves for short term gains at the expense of long term strategy.

We are fearful of a late mid-first round run on RBs that we want to trade out and down from 13 although there is strong possibility of a top prospect falling to 13 given expected run on QBs in the top 10. If a top prospect at CB (Minkah Fritzpatrick), S (Derwin James), G (Quentin Nelson), LB (Roquan Smith) falls to 13, I think long term we are better off taking those blue chip players instead of trading down to target Guice or R Jones in mid 20s (though I would love getting either one).

I would love to snag one of these RBs (Guice, Jones or Michel) but I prefer staying put at 13 if any of the top guys are available. 

Archived