Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

I had hoped that a team interested in a QB would give the Skins an option for a trade down from pick 13.  But it's looking like the QBs are going to go quickly.  NFL Mocks was talking about the best eight players other than 4 QBs.  While 8 + 4 is less than the 13th pick there's usually some other player that gets picked earlier than the pundits suggest.  Here are the eight they mention:

Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State
Derwin James, S, Florida State
Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama
Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia
Tremaine Edmunds, ILB, Virginia Tech
Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
Bradley Chubb, OLB, NC State

Obviously, Saquon Barkley will not still be on the board when the Skins pick.  Any of the others are possibilities (some more remote than others).  So, do you just take whomever is remaining as he may be the BPA at that point in the draft?  Or do you pass and select a player not on the list?  Which of the above players would you NOT pick if all the others had already been selected?  Assume the Skins have no trade down offers (4 QBs have been picked plus 7 of the above 8).  Keep in mind that it's impossible to know whether any particular highly ranked player will be available for the second round selection.

5 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I had hoped that a team interested in a QB would give the Skins an option for a trade down from pick 13.  But it's looking like the QBs are going to go quickly.  NFL Mocks was talking about the best eight players other than 4 QBs.  While 8 + 4 is less than the 13th pick there's usually some other player that gets picked earlier than the pundits suggest.  Here are the eight they mention:

Obviously, Saquon Barkley will not still be on the board when the Skins pick.  Any of the others are possibilities (some more remote than others).  So, do you just take whomever is remaining as he may be the BPA at that point in the draft?  Or do you pass and select a player not on the list?  Which of the above players would you NOT pick if all the others had already been selected?  Assume the Skins have no trade down offers (4 QBs have been picked plus 7 of the above 8).  Keep in mind that it's impossible to know whether any particular highly ranked player will be available for the second round selection.

My thought as well. Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb are locks to be picked. Elite talents like that fall out of the top 5... but not top 10 with Terrible makeup or injury history. Ward gets picked because he is the only elite corner.

Its going to be one of the Safety's or ILB's.

I hope its one of the ILB's as Brown's deal is essentially just a one year deal.

Guys like him and Norman are the obvious cap casualties next year as we extend Preston Smith and Scherff. So we'll need studs to back fill. Roquan would be great, and even Edmunds with a year of studying behind Brown and Foster.

7 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Hey Zoony. Do you really think that DT from Ala is a reach at 13? He may not even be there.

Im not a draft guy necessarily, so I dont know.  That said selecting a RB at 13 does feel like a reach.  I am just looking at it in terms of which position would most effect our offense. A dominant Olineman would do more for our offense than any other position, imo

I would be thrilled with a beast DT as well

1 hour ago, PlayAction said:

There's still hope for Breeland and Grant to score contracts.  Personally I think they both got screwed with the failed physicals.

I think you hope those guys land in the fringe fifth/sixth round range now. 

Looks like signing a NT would cancel out the 5th round compensatory pick from Spencer Long, and I hope that is not a deterrence to making that happen.
Cousins = 3rd
Breeland = 6th

Grant = 6th

Paul = 7th

That would be a reasonable haul, not quite as good as a 3rd + 5th + 5th + 7th.

Listening to Keim this morning. He joked about how much Doug Williams is playing up drafting a RB. He goes if you ask Doug what did you have for lunch, he would respond by saying we are getting a running back.

He said they have concerns that the sweet spot for RB falls in between their pick at #13 and their #44 pick.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He said they have concerns that the sweet spot for RB falls in between their pick at #13 and their #44 pick.

We should trade down then, not up.  Unless a no-doubter like Minkah, Roquan, or Nelson falls to 13, I don't think there is going to be a big difference between who we can pick at 13 and who would be there at 25 or 36 or wherever.  This class looks unusually strong at guard/center, running back, and linebacker in that range.  Can probably move back and still end up with a day one starter by going BPA.

I need to go back over Landry to see if I should add him to the list of no-doubters who we should stay at 13 for.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim this morning. He joked about how much Doug Williams is playing up drafting a RB. He goes if you ask Doug what did you have for lunch, he would respond by saying we are getting a running back.

It would be great if we can trade down.  I am wondering about nose tackles who might drop to the fourth.  Right now it almost seems like a wait and see if Vea is available at 13, if not I wonder what type of value we could get.  There are some pretty prime players who will be left there.

just a shot: I know the rankings here are not totally reliable but after a trade for no 21 and no 13 in the third that I think is reasonable-can we get a draft like this

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 21 (CINN):  Guice, Derrius, RB, LSU (B+)
Round 2 Pick 12:  Key, Arden, DE/OLB, LSU (B+)
Round 3 Pick 13 (CINN):  Smith, Braden, OG, Auburn (A-)
Round 4 Pick 13:  Settle, Tim, DT, Virginia Tech (A+)

8 hours ago, PlayAction said:

NFL Mocks was talking about the best eight players other than 4 QBs.  While 8 + 4 is less than the 13th pick there's usually some other player that gets picked earlier than the pundits suggest.  Here are the eight they mention:

A lot of mocks have Vita Vea going ahead of 13 so that would mean of these 8 guys will be there at 13.   If this means one of the ILB will be available then I am fine with that pick. however then it’s even more critical that we pick up a true NT body in FA.

9 hours ago, zoony said:

Im not a draft guy necessarily, so I dont know.  That said selecting a RB at 13 does feel like a reach.  I am just looking at it in terms of which position would most effect our offense. A dominant Olineman would do more for our offense than any other position, imo

I would be thrilled with a beast DT as well

I would say I You absolutely have to draft Barkley if he were to somehow slide to #13.

31 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Still find it a joke that all we're getting for Cousins, whose the highest paid player in NFL history is a late 3rd rounder.. You know if this was Dallas Jerry would be asking for a rule change and 1st round pick in compensation..

Even Kirk's agent said it was the perfect storm. He's not the most talented player in the NFL. The next QB's up will get more than that unless they take a discount i.e Rodgers. We ****ed it up, we should be happy with a 3rd and just move on.

11 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

My thought as well. Barkley, Nelson, and Chubb are locks to be picked. Elite talents like that fall out of the top 5... but not top 10 with Terrible makeup or injury history. Ward gets picked because he is the only elite corner.

Its going to be one of the Safety's or ILB's.

I hope its one of the ILB's as Brown's deal is essentially just a one year deal.

Guys like him and Norman are the obvious cap casualties next year as we extend Preston Smith and Scherff. So we'll need studs to back fill. Roquan would be great, and even Edmunds with a year of studying behind Brown and Foster.

If we get Hankins then I think we trade down and get the RB we want and either LB or CB in the 1st 2 rounds. If not I think we stay put at #13 and take a difference maker. 

I'm kind of on the fence about Harold Landry.  On the one hand, his first step is the best in the class.  He's got Vic Beasley/Clay Matthews get-off and agility.  Speed like that is so special that you almost have to take it high and then try and work on the rest of the package later.

But he has low play strength and doesn't convert speed to power.  And he's a little undersized.  I'm not sure I believe there is a lot of upside to get significantly more powerful there.

Simply put, he's a point of failure in rush defense.

So does he offer value at 13 even though he's coming off an unproductive and injury riddled season and might only ever be a situational rusher?  I'm kind of leaning towards yes.  He's so unbelievably fast.  When you put him in the context of our defense, he'd be something entirely new for us.  A weapon.  Similar to what Bruce Irvin was to those amazing Seattle Seahawks defenses back around 2014-2015.  You have to be able to use him in a rotation to change the pace on tackles/tight ends and mitigate his weakness against the run.

@stevemcqueen1 Yeah, I mean, I haven’t watch much tape on him, but he comes across exactly as you say - a weapon.  Great replacement for Galette it seems like.  The issues you mention are also something that can maybe be improved with time in the weight room.  Doesn’t hurt that he would have Tomsula, Smith and Kerrigan around... at least this year.  Not a Johnathan Allen type of no brainer pick, but I think the value is there at 13 (even though I’d rather trade back).  

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@stevemcqueen1 Yeah, I mean, I haven’t watch much tape on him, but he comes across exactly as you say - a weapon.  Great replacement for Galette it seems like.  The issues you mention are also something that can maybe be improved with time in the weight room.  Doesn’t hurt that he would have Tomsula, Smith and Kerrigan around... at least this year.  Not a Johnathan Allen type of no brainer pick, but I think the value is there at 13 (even though I’d rather trade back).  

Perhaps not a foundation block, but an auxiliary piece that helps give a defense the versatility to go from good to great.  Bruce Irving was the 15th pick in 2012, so there is precedent for players like Landry offering value in a similar range.  I guess it will come down to who else is available at 13.  But right now I think I'd have Landry ranked somewhere from 13 to 18 on a big board.

On 3/19/2018 at 12:43 AM, XxSpearheadxX said:

At 13? No way, with a trade back to the end of the first ? I could see that

Not at 13... will be defense at 13.

All im saying is my friends consist of the offence, they do not really know what the defense is doing.. They mention all the same we talk about.  But, there is a famous skins running back spending at lot of time with the kid I mentioned, and from what im told the coaches really like.. take it as you will...

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Perhaps not a foundation block, but an auxiliary piece that helps give a defense the versatility to go from good to great.  Bruce Irving was the 15th pick in 2012, so there is precedent for players like Landry offering value in a similar range.  I guess it will come down to who else is available at 13.  But right now I think I'd have Landry ranked somewhere from 13 to 18 on a big board.

13 to 18 on the big board. Hmmm. You should forget his last year, because it sucked, he wasn't healthy. 

When healthy this guy is a speed demon (confirmed on film and at the combine). I understand that in todays NFL you can only win if you hit the opponents QB, so you might value that skill highly. 

@stevemcqueen1 If you can choose between Marcus Davenport and Landy, who would you choose? And how much better do you think Landry is compared to a speed rusher like Key. 

Personally I probally lean towards Davenport because he might bring more against the run. Can become a more complete player. 

9 hours ago, sjinhan said:

A lot of mocks have Vita Vea going ahead of 13 so that would mean of these 8 guys will be there at 13.   If this means one of the ILB will be available then I am fine with that pick. however then it’s even more critical that we pick up a true NT body in FA.

Exactly.  Whether it's Vita Vea or some other player it's likely that one of the 8 will be available.  My guess based upon the relative value of positions is that it will be either a safety or an ILB.  But with those choices I'm not sure another team would be willing to trade up with the Skins.  I will be happy with a potential difference maker at safety or ILB.  If the Skins do select a safety I hope the Skins are able to trade Cravens for a quality player (that is, no fourth round pick trade with the Broncos until we know who is available at the pick).   

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We should trade down then, not up.  Unless a no-doubter like Minkah, Roquan, or Nelson falls to 13, I don't think there is going to be a big difference between who we can pick at 13 and who would be there at 25 or 36 or wherever.  This class looks unusually strong at guard/center, running back, and linebacker in that range.  Can probably move back and still end up with a day one starter by going BPA.

I need to go back over Landry to see if I should add him to the list of no-doubters who we should stay at 13 for.

Ideally, yeah definitely if they can find a trading partner. 

43 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Exactly.  Whether it's Vita Vea or some other player it's likely that one of the 8 will be available.  My guess based upon the relative value of positions is that it will be either a safety or an ILB.  But with those choices I'm not sure another team would be willing to trade up with the Skins.  I will be happy with a potential difference maker at safety or ILB.  If the Skins do select a safety I hope the Skins are able to trade Cravens for a quality player (that is, no fourth round pick trade with the Broncos until we know who is available at the pick).   

Maybe on Guice. I recall they met with him and liked him, said he was a character-personality.  I listened to the Jay interview, he was asked in the first or 2nd taking one and he seem to suggest likely yes.  If you dovetail that with Doug's comments -- I don't think I've ever seen a draft position telegraphed so heavily in advance.  But I like it. I am on the same page -- desperate for a RB.

They did have a formal meeting with Ronald Jones so wonder if he's a top target.  Sony Michel is a tough pass blocker who can both run inside and outside.   I am thinking (probably wishful on my end some since they are my 3 top choices aside from Barkley) maybe one of those three are a key target?  But I can see Guice being Jay's kind of guy because he seems to have a preference for guys with a power element to their game -- that would be Guice.

Bucky Brooks has us drafting Mike Hughes in the 1st round:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922017/article/bucky-brooks-mock-draft-30-new-york-jets-land-josh-rosen

Just watched two of his cutups.  Mike Hughes is not a 1st round corner.  I think he's likely going to bust in the NFL.  He's scheme dependent.

Short, short arms, has average speed, average acceleration.  Can be a bit heavy footed in his back pedal, and can be slow to react to breaks in the WR's route.  Played almost exclusively zone from what I saw.  There were times he got beat, but UCF's pass rush was just brutal.  He got beat but didn't have to pay for it as the QB had no opportunity to throw.

That's the negatives.  The positives are that he's a willing tackler, he's willing to play press but that's uncommon, he does a good job messing with a WR's stride/body while going down the field effectively slowing them down.  He's got good timing when contesting jump balls...but he's short, so there's a limit.

Man, to be a fan-base going into a draft like Cleveland or Indy right now! When was the last time the Redskins went into a draft with a boat-load of early, significant picks? 2000? Check these FanSpeaks I did for Cleveland and Indy for fun (just through 3 rounds)

Cleveland: Sam Darnold, Derwin James, Marcus Davenport, Billy Price, Brian O'Niell

Indianapolis: Bradley Chubb, Sony Michel, Will Hernandez, Leighton Vander-Esch, Quentin Meeks

Archived