Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Man @stevemcqueen1 - you hit on a bunch of things I’ve been thinking about. 

Trading down, we might still have a shot at Vea/Payne and Phillips, etc. or could go for Guice, interior oline, or maybe even ILB/WR.  People are all over the place on the top DL (that might be available to us), that hitting it in FA might be smarter.   

My big board at pick No. 13 (contingent on some getting pushed down)

1. Roquan Smith

2. Tremaine Edmunds

3. Denzel Ward

4. Derwin James

5. Jaire Alexander

In that order.

If all of those guys are off the board... draft Lamar Jackson.

Not even joking.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think there is a good chance of a run happening in the first six picks in the second round.  The value matches up with needs in that range.

Threats:

16. Baltimore: Unless they're happy with Alex Collins which seems a stretch.

18. Seattle: Their running game has been a disaster since Lynch left, with CJ Prosise's injury history particularly brutal. 

20. Detroit: 2018 starting running back is currently not on roster.

24. Carolina: Likely will bring in a RB to replace Stewart

28. Pittsburgh: Not sure James Conner is a legit backup to Lev Bell

31. New England: No legit RB in house that can really take over the gig. 

Round 2:

33: Cleveland: Even w/Hyde in place, I could see them going RB, Duke's contract is up in '19. 

34. NYG: No legit RB on the roster

36. Indy: Depends on whether or not they think Mack can be a bell cow.

37. NYJ: Crowell is not a long term solution

38. Tampa Bay: Hard to imagine Peyton Barber is seen as the undisputed bell cow.

40. Denver: Maybe they're okay with D. Henderson and D. Booker, not sure.

41. Oakland: Lynch's replacement is probably not on the roster.

42. Miami: I don't know if they're good w/what they've got. I tend to doubt it.

43. New England: Wouldn't surprise me if they used this pick on an RB. 

I see about 14 teams after we select at 13 (currently, trading of course could happen) potentially taking a RB before we pick again at 44. Obviously most of them won't, but some of them seem like serious threats, the biggest of them to me are: Baltimore, Seattle, Detroit, New England, Cleveland, NYG, Indy, Tampa Bay, Denver, Oakland and Miami, and NYG, Indy, TB, and Denver might take their guy in round 1. 

To me, a trade down makes the most sense, we just need to make sure that we don't trade behind that cluster of potential RB picking teams that compromise almost all the selections to be made between slot 31 and our pick at 44. 

I can't remember if there were rumors (and the past two seasons they were wrong (the hot rumors suggested us wanting Michael Thomas in '16 and Dalvin Cook in '17), but any word on whom we seem fixated on? I feel like it was basically everyone in my big six other than Freeman and Penny but I can't remember. 

9 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I see about 14 teams after we select at 13 (currently, trading of course could happen) potentially taking a RB before we pick again at 44. Obviously most of them won't, but some of them seem like serious threats, 

It's a deep RB class but once the run begins I think it will happen quickly.  The flip side to this scenario is that many other top ranked position players will then be available when the Skins pick at 44.  If Skins lose out on the top tier RB but are able to acquire a top tier ILB, DL or OG it may not be a real loss.  Who is available at #13 is going to determine everything - it's one thing to pass on a highly graded player that doesn't fit with your current scheme but another to pass on someone that you believe to be an impact player.  

Good RB discussion going on.  I watched some cut ups for some of the runners to come up with my own impressions on what their natural draft value is:

Royce Freeman:
- Great size for the position
- Decisive one cut runner
- Very good balance
- Great vision, excellent at finding the space between the tackles
- Poor man's LeVeon Bell
- Soft hands and solid body control
- Clean overall game--plays with good technique and awareness
- Ate a good deal as an outside runner against soft fronts at Oregon
- Doesn't leave yards on the field
- Almost no burst to his game.  No home run ability
- Will lower shoulder and run through tackles, but not a consistently punishing runner
- Very little wiggle
- Late third, early fourth rounder

Kalen Ballage:
- Prototype build
- Excellent speed and burst.
- Solid hands
- Has a hesitation step when attacking the LoS that wastes time
- Poor vision.  Runs into tackles, leaves a lot of yards on the field.
- Technique in pass pro is awful.  Ducks his head into contact and whiffs on cuts.
- Miniscule college production
- Seventh rounder

Kerryon Johnson:
- Built like a WR, not a HB--high cut, slender legs
- Patient, deliberate running style
- Dangerous when he gets a head of steam and leans into his run
- Good balance as a runner.
- Natural receiver
- Very good in pass pro.  Works hard and picks up the blitz with good technique.  Stones bigger defenders
- Everydown back
- Vision is just OK
- Can be slow to hit his creases/attack the line of scrimmage
- Very reactive as a runner, patience borders on hesitancy
- Not a lot of lateral burst in his game
- Carrying style is a little loose.  Didn't have fumble problems at Auburn, but it could be an issue at the next level.
- Clean player
- Late second rounder

Akrum Wadley:
- Slender build, lacks NFL size
- Exceptional creativity
- Exceptional lateral speed.  Jump cuts are huge.
- Dynamic open field runner
- Fluid hips and very quick feet.
- Very elusive.  slips out of a lot of tackles and accelerates when he gets daylight
- Solid hands and dangerous after the catch
- Patience is lacking.  Runs into his blockers.
- Not a very strong or physical runner.  Play strength is very low
- Stutters his way to the LoS instead of picking a lane and charging
- Pass pro is weak
- Situational player
- Fourth rounder

Rashaad Penny:
- Good NFL build
- Grinding, upright runner
- Good vision, consistently churns out yardage even when the blocking doesn't generate movement/push
- Soft hands
- Physical runner who can shrug off trash contact in the box
- Punishes tacklers for trying to take him high.  Fights for every extra yard.
- Strong upper body.  Good stiff arm
- Very strong red zone runner.  When he sees a path to the end zone, he won't be denied.
- Looks lost in blitz pick up.  Mainly just used to run delays on pass downs
- No real explosion to his game.  Not an elusive runner
- Takes a second to gear up and top gear is unimpressive.  No homerun potential
- Production is outstanding, but much of it is a product of volume and playing weak competition that couldn't deal with his size and strength.
- Used occasionally in the slot, but routes don't look crisp
- Late second, early third rounder

Bo Scarborough:
- Hulking build
- Tough yards runner who needs a good power blocking OL in front of him to be effective
- Hard charger who generates powerful leg drive through contact
- Scary to tackle.  Dangerous when he can hit the hole at full speed.
- Gears up fairly well for his size, but he's a long strider
- A little more wiggle than you'd expect from such a big back, but not much in total.
- No lateral quickness.  One cut and go runner
- Vision is ordinary
- Creativity is lacking
- Not much of a receiver
- Production is very limited.  Injury history is a concern.
- Fifth or sixth rounder

15 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kerryon Johnson:
- Built like a WR, not a HB--high cut, slender legs
- Patient, deliberate running style
- Dangerous when he gets a head of steam and leans into his run
- Good balance as a runner.
- Natural receiver
- Very good in pass pro.  Works hard and picks up the blitz with good technique.  Stones bigger defenders
- Everydown back
- Vision is just OK
- Can be slow to hit his creases/attack the line of scrimmage
- Very reactive as a runner, patience borders on hesitancy
- Not a lot of lateral burst in his game
- Carrying style is a little loose.  Didn't have fumble problems at Auburn, but it could be an issue at the next level.
- Clean player
- Late second rounder

Kerryon FTW

Johnson, Penny and Freeman (don’t like Ballage at all) are decent consolation prizes for missing on the top guys, and I’d draft them in a similar range to what you have @stevemcqueen1... which doesn’t help us at all since we’re lacking a 3rd.  Even trading back in the 1st, gaining a 3rd and hoping for one of these guys is a big risk.  Don’t really see any way we can (logically) skip taking a back in the 2nd.  Still think trading back in the 1st and taking Guice is the best move (if we can pull it off).  Should be a good player at DL/Oline/ILB at #44, and we’d likely pick up a 2nd or 3rd from the trade back.  

Another big issue I haven’t seen much discussion on - we can bear losing most of our FAs that are leaving as we have in-house replacements, but that’s going to  have an impact on our depth.  That’s a major concern considering how injured we’ve been as a team.  

Corner (inside and outside), OLB, ILB and C all have weaker depth than we had a year ago.  Still early in FA, but with fewer draft picks, and the desire for impact FAs vs cheaper guys, something’s gotta give.  Of course, that’s on top of lacking a (proven/legitimate) slot corner, ILB, NT, LG and fullback.  

Admittedly, I double dipped there a bit - Vigil and Spaight are probably fine as ILB depth, but we’re missing a starter.  Conversely, if one of them moves to the starting spot, we’re now short on depth.  Similar situation with slot corner.  Overall point still stands though.  I like the way we’ve drafted depth recently, so there’s some hope, but we have limited resources.  

I think we're not drafting Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds at #13.  Both of them are better suited towards the run-and-chase ILB spot (Mo) that was occupied by Zach Brown.  I don't think either could handle the role Mason Foster (Mike) had last season.

Zach Brown is re-signed on a 3 year deal.

I don't think Roquan can be played alongside Zach Brown, they'd get wrecked by blockers.  Edmunds is too raw to play Mike, he makes a lot of coverage and assignment mistakes.  If we're looking for someone who can contribute this season, that's not either of them.

Our good options at #13 are becoming more clear but limited.  Trade down would be best.

59 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Every year some big name falls in the draft. You heard it here first. With the 13th pick the Washington Redskins take Quenton Nelson, Guard, Notre Dame. Will we get lucky and have an instant starter fall in our laps again? Yes. 

That would be a shock and an excellent pickup, but I’m thinking more along these lines - 

9 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If we don't land a solid D lineman in free agency I think it's a no-brainer what we do in round 1.

@Alcoholic ZebraI’m with you there.  If we could swing a trade back to the 20’s (maybe trading back twice), we could go with something like Guice and then Settle, or Phillips and then Michel/Johnson/Penny.  

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Our good options at #13 are becoming more clear but limited.  Trade down would be best.

I don't think free agency shoulder alter our draft at all.  Zach Brown is 28.  Roquan Smith is 20.  If he's the BPA, you take him.

The draft (especially the first couple rounds) is all about finding the foundation pieces for our team three and four years down the road.  Free agency is for filling in today's holes.

Packers all of sudden this year -- players in FA

NFL Draft Diamonds Retweeted

Can confirm that the #Packers have been in touch with Tyrann Mathieu. Whether they have enough money left is the big question.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think free agency shoulder alter our draft at all.  Zach Brown is 28.  Roquan Smith is 20.  If he's the BPA, you take him.

The draft (especially the first couple rounds) is all about finding the foundation pieces for our team three and four years down the road.  Free agency is for filling in today's holes.

Agree in concept.  John Keim though is often right and he said a couple of times his sources in the FO tell him R. Smith is off the table if Zach is back.

I'd presume because R. Smith doesn't seem to be a natural Mike LB but is more of a Mo -- weakside rangy MLB.  And that's where Zach is comfortable.  

But I agree with the general notion of BPA.  Not to turn this to the draft thread but loved to see Doug double down in the alex press conference about fixing the running game.  Doug has been just about screaming they will be drafting a RB.

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

Every year some big name falls in the draft. You heard it here first. With the 13th pick the Washington Redskins take Quenton Nelson, Guard, Notre Dame. Will we get lucky and have an instant starter fall in our laps again? Yes. 

It's starting to become a dark horse pick for the Giants at #2 by some of the talking heads on the NFL Network.    Be interesting if he falls that far to #13.  But I recall part of the reason why the Redskins were gun shy of the prospect of trading down in the top 10 in 2015 was the Redskins heard Scherff won't escape the top 10.  If they were correct on that front, I think it would be a shocker if the more hyped Nelson fell to #13.    

If Nelson falls to 13 you gotta take him now. I think if we bring in a Logan or Richarsson on the DL and either Matthieu or DRC for nickel I think it primes us to go RB-G or G-RB with 1&2. Ideally we’d trade back to the 20s to land either a Guice or Michel or Jones or Hernandez or Wynn and then get the opposite at 44 or higher If we can use our 4th to move back up. 

But if Nelson is there at 13 for the love of god Sprinf to the podium for the pick. Then just get the best RB there at 44

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't like the pairing of Brown and Smith at ILB.  If our DL was stout as all get out, then they'd be great.  But they're going to get mauled by blockers (even TE's), and they lose run fits trying to evade blockers instead of doing what Mason Foster does (or last year's 1st round Jarrad Davis) which is engage quickly.

I get what you're saying, have to think about 2019, 2020, etc.  And theoretically we'd be able to figure out the DL situation by then, but it'd be a maddeningly inconsistent 2018 with loads of splash plays while also getting gashed.

3 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

I can easily see him falling. He's fantastic at one thing, and is just 'OK' at other things you want Guards to do.  He's a serious road grader in the run game...but he kind of isn't good in space.  He often doesn't connect in the 2nd level.  I would not want to pull him.  You can scheme around some of that, and it's really tempting given how good he is at moving defenders off their spots.

So that, plus the fact that he's a Guard and not a Tackle.  I can see a fall to where he's available at #13.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Like SIP, in general, I agree with you.  If it’s going to come down to playing Brown or Smith though, that’s a poor use of resources, IMO.  Now if they want to go with an OLB, for example, I could accept it, because they aren’t certain about Anderson, Kerrigan is getting older (and has a hefty salary), and Smith is a FA next year.  It wouldn’t be ideal in terms of filling a void, but it makes sense from a BPA perspective.  

If Smith could replace Foster, well that’s a different story.  

Just my opinion of course.  

If you can't play two stud stack linebackers in your scheme, then your scheme sucks.  Brown shouldn't preclude us from taking Smith if he's the BPA.  Position shouldn't be coming into the equation at 13, that is never the best way to draft.  And at any rate, there is no one on this roster that gets you to pass on a linebacker with All Pro potential.

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think we're not drafting Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds at #13.  Both of them are better suited towards the run-and-chase ILB spot (Mo) that was occupied by Zach Brown.  I don't think either could handle the role Mason Foster (Mike) had last season.

Zach Brown is re-signed on a 3 year deal.

Mwha I think you still take them if they are on top of your board. It's not likely that we have a lot of guaranteed money tied up at ILB. If the guy is a beast you can always cut one of the other two. 

9 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

Look at the FA market and what kind of numbers guards are getting. Teams start to value oline and guards higher and higher. So I have the feeling that Nelson won't make it out of the top 10. 

Everytime Doug opens his mouth he makes it clear we are going to sort out the RB position. We're taking one high in the draft without question. 

Man if Barkley slides past the Browns and Giants, and Colts go DE, and the Browns want to jump out of #4.....highly unlikely but we shouldn't worry about RB, one is coming before the second round is done.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's starting to become a dark horse pick for the Giants at #2 by some of the talking heads on the NFL Network.    Be interesting if he falls that far to #13.  But I recall part of the reason why the Redskins were gun shy of the prospect of trading down in the top 10 in 2015 was the Redskins heard Scherff won't escape the top 10.  If they were correct on that front, I think it would be a shocker if the more hyped Nelson fell to #13.    

I think there is more chance the Giants would take Nelson rather than Barkley. The draft is stacked at RB, as discussed in here. Plus, when you have just given 60mil to a LT like they have, dropping an elite talent rookie in at LG makes perfect sense, great prospect, rookie money. When Solder is done, pay Nelson and draft LT....

In regards to Nelson and why I believe what I do. Not many edge rushers out there rated highly. Can't see them falling. The two safeties I believe will be plucked. Probably no less than 3 Qb's. A rb at least. Insider backers maybe 2? Someone always takes a tackle early. Top corner is in play as well. Now I know that Nelson is one of those cant miss guys. However there are a lot of impact players that touch the ball in those top 12 picks. The theory is a run begins on those Qb's. The other theory I am thinking will happen is a team behind us will trade up to 13 to get infront of the Cardinals to nab a QB or perhaps the Cardinals themselves. 

Watching free agency unfold and looking at what's being overpaid I just see it more and more. Will I be right? Probably not. But seeing that we have that gaping need and seeing the ridiculousness of some of the contracts being handed out I have Nelson falling. And we all know once some of the fools in the NFL media start chatting they usually are being misdirected. 

Archived