Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Forget drafting RB in the first unless is Barkley level talent...

i like what Cooley said on his show... just look at positions in which salaries are blowing up in FA... you take players in those positions (LT,DL, pass rushers, CBs, QB) in the first and rest you can live with paying top dollars to bring someone in during FA... paying top FA dollar to bring in RB or guard for example is much cheaper than trying to sign a top CB or DL in their prime

if Vea is there at 13 then it’s no Brainer that we pick him

On 3/16/2018 at 9:21 AM, Bonez3 said:

I watched all the Guice tape on draft breakdown and no real explode off the tape film. IDK, I hope our scouts fall in love with somebody and get it right

Was all that film from 2017? If so he was playing hurt all last year - and still played well.

If you can watch some of his games from 2016. Different back. He’s healthy again and whoever drafts him is getting the 2016 guy. I’d take him at 13 with no hesitation (depending who is left of course).

21 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

We seem to be avoiding interior OL in free agency, and we have a pretty big gap inside. Billy Price looks a beast. Ragnow too a bit later. I think C/G becomes a definite option if we get a couple more bodies in during FA pre draft.

We have a pretty good track record recently of finding interior lineman. I think we end up with a starting guard in rounds 4-7.

I’m all for taking Vita or Payne with our 1st pick but the way things are playing out  with all this trading from the QB needy Bills, Jets and possibly the Browns we could probably get either in the 18-22 pick range. But I’d say we trade down a bit pick up a 3rd & 4th rounder. Then with our 2nd rounder I’d say grab a left guard (Will Hernandez or Price). That LG position is more important than RB right now (I’m in total disagreement with Doug Williams) I say we look for a RB on the Third day or if we somehow manage to get a 3rd rounder by trading down use that 3rd rounder for RB. I would not take a RB at 13 nor With the 2nd rounder. 

21 minutes ago, MAATopDogg said:

I’m all for taking Vita or Payne with our 1st pick but the way things are playing out  with all this trading from the QB needy Bills, Jets and possibly the Browns we could probably get either in the 18-22 pick range. But I’d say we trade down a bit pick up a 3rd & 4th rounder. Then with our 2nd rounder I’d say grab a left guard (Will Hernandez or Price). That LG position is more important than RB right now (I’m in total disagreement with Doug Williams) I say we look for a RB on the Third day or if we somehow manage to get a 3rd rounder by trading down use that 3rd rounder for RB. I would not take a RB at 13 nor With the 2nd rounder. 

I agree with you about trading down, but if we do I don’t think we get Payne or Vea. We obviously can’t evaluate RBs well and I fear a RB on the third day will be a JAG. 

I would want us to stay put and take Roquon S. at ILB, top DB (Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Ward) or Vea/Payne.

If those players are gone, or we trade down, I’d consider Guice, Ridley, or DJ Moore.

As of today, here is my mock draft:

1)  Browns_Josh Allen 

2)  NYG_Barkley 

3)  Jets (from Colts)_Darnold

4)  Browns_Chubb (take BPA and line him up opposite Garrett)

5)  Broncos_Nelson

6)  (projected trade) Bills (from Colts)_Rosen

7)  Bucs_Fitzpatrick

8)  Bears_Edmunds

9)  (projected trade)  Cards (from 49ers)_Mayfield

10)  Raiders_Ward

11)  Dolphins_James

12)  Colts (from Bills)_Smith

13)  Redskins_??

I think GB wants to take Davenport if he falls to 14.  Perhaps we can trade down to a team wanting him.

47 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

As of today, here is my mock draft:

1)  Browns_Josh Allen 

2)  NYG_Barkley 

3)  Jets (from Colts)_Darnold

4)  Browns_Chubb (take BPA and line him up opposite Garrett)

5)  Broncos_Nelson

6)  (projected trade) Bills (from Colts)_Rosen

7)  Bucs_Fitzpatrick

8)  Bears_Edmunds

9)  (projected trade)  Cards (from 49ers)_Mayfield

10)  Raiders_Ward

11)  Dolphins_James

12)  Colts (from Bills)_Smith

13)  Redskins_??

I think GB wants to take Davenport if he falls to 14.  Perhaps we can trade down to a team wanting him.

That would be brutal. If I can’t trade down I probably take a DT or Calvin Ridley. I gotta imagine some of those teams will reach for OTs and WRs. 

13 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

That would be brutal. If I can’t trade down I probably take a DT or Calvin Ridley. I gotta imagine some of those teams will reach for OTs and WRs. 

Maybe WR...but last year I think the first OT was taken at 20...and there don’t seem to be any special ones in this draft either. Sucks for us that one or two won’t be going before 13. 

Usually around this time, there is some players without a ton of buzz previously gaining some.  Landry is one of those guys it seems. I recall the hype in 2016 about him but he never entered the draft.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-harold-landrys-combine-performance-puts-him-in-rarified-air

Harold Landry's combine performance shows he belongs in rarified air

With all the hoopla surrounding the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis this past weekend, you’ll surely see dozens of lists purporting ‘winners’ and ‘losers.’ When it comes to edge defenders though, one guy’s performance was head and shoulders above anyone else’s.

Harold Landry’s 6.88-second 3-cone at 252-pounds puts him in rarified air for top prospects. Below is every single 250-plus pound defensive lineman drafted in the first round that had a sub-6.9-second 3-cone:

•  
  • DeMarcus Ware
  • J.J. Watt
  • David Pollack
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Joey Bosa
  • T.J. Watt

That is some impressive company. With the exception of Pollack, whose career was cut short due to injury, and T.J. Watt, whose only played one year in the league, every single other player on the list has been All-Pro caliber at some point in their career.

Landry’s performance was made all the more important by the fact that he had so many question marks about his play in 2017. If you go back to August and look at just about any preseason draft rankings, you’ll see Landry’s name projected in the top-10 in almost every single one. The Boston College edge defender flat-out dominated as a junior in 2016, racking up 18 sacks, seven hits and 44 hurries. That was 16 more total pressures than No. 1 overall pick Myles Garett.

Landry would kick off the 2017 season with back-to-back five-pressure performances against Northern Illinois and Wake Forest. But by the time they faced off against Notre Dame in Week 3, something was noticeably wrong with Landry. He only played 38 of a possible 78 snaps in that game, and while no formal injury was reported, he wasn’t close to the same guy down the stretch. Over the last six games before injury ended his season, Landry notched all of 19 pressures. Many of those reps where Landry took a hard-outside move that resulted in sacks in 2016, were now ending with him getting pushed past the quarterback. Was his bend an issue or was the ankle that ultimately took him out for the year the problem?

With his special performance over the weekend, the answer looks resoundingly like the latter.

That’s a good thing for Landry and his draft stock. m to the top of a fairly non-descript edge class.

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We'd be a lot worse.  Trent is our best player.  We're not trading him.  The FO and coaching staff think we're close and they're not going to tank for draft picks.  You don't trade your best young defensive player and a third rounder for Alex Smith and then sign him to a 24 million per year extension unless you're trying to win now.

I understand that it would seemingly make less sense today, but it would still be better for the organization. The mistake of trading for Alex Smith shouldn’t impede us from doing what gives us a shot at being a contender in the future. “You don’t trade a 3rd & your best young defensI’ve player for Alex Smith if...” you can fill that ellipsis with 100 things. It was an atrocious move. Imho.

Trent Williams is more valuable to this franchise in future picks/young assets than he is as a guy fighting more persistent injury concerns who is one poor decision with weed away from missing how many games? Trent has proven he can’t be relied upon to stay away from weed, he’s a risk on two fronts on a team that isn’t built to contend for a title in the next couple years. I admire your faith in humanity & your belief in our ability to contend now, I wish I shared either. 

You trade him if you’re honest about what you are & you are thinking about winning a SB rather than trying to play 16 competitive games.

Clev was foolish not to cash in Thomas, we are going to make the same mistake. If we are significantly worse, we get an elite first & 7 better draft picks in 2019 overall. We trade Williams for high picks in the next two drafts & we stand to get better picks in every round next year while freeing up cap room? Even better, Steve. 

What I’m suggesting is what I believe would give us the best chance to build a contender. I don’t believe the FO is going to do anything suggested in this thread. 

6 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

I agree with you about trading down, but if we do I don’t think we get Payne or Vea. We obviously can’t evaluate RBs well and I fear a RB on the third day will be a JAG. 

I would want us to stay put and take Roquon S. at ILB, top DB (Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Ward) or Vea/Payne.

If those players are gone, or we trade down, I’d consider Guice, Ridley, or DJ Moore.

No interest in Landry or Davenport? If Smiths price becomes exorbitant, we have his replacement. Even with Smith staying long term, we could use another pass rusher. I like Landry quite a bit.

I love DJ Moore, I was surprised that James Franklin didn’t think he was worth offering out of HS. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Usually around this time, there is some players without a ton of buzz previously gaining some.  Landry is one of those guys it seems. I recall the hype in 2016 about him but he never entered the draft.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-harold-landrys-combine-performance-puts-him-in-rarified-air

Harold Landry's combine performance shows he belongs in rarified air

With all the hoopla surrounding the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis this past weekend, you’ll surely see dozens of lists purporting ‘winners’ and ‘losers.’ When it comes to edge defenders though, one guy’s performance was head and shoulders above anyone else’s.

Harold Landry’s 6.88-second 3-cone at 252-pounds puts him in rarified air for top prospects. Below is every single 250-plus pound defensive lineman drafted in the first round that had a sub-6.9-second 3-cone:

•  
  • DeMarcus Ware
  • J.J. Watt
  • David Pollack
  • Melvin Ingram
  • Joey Bosa
  • T.J. Watt

That is some impressive company. With the exception of Pollack, whose career was cut short due to injury, and T.J. Watt, whose only played one year in the league, every single other player on the list has been All-Pro caliber at some point in their career.

Landry’s performance was made all the more important by the fact that he had so many question marks about his play in 2017. If you go back to August and look at just about any preseason draft rankings, you’ll see Landry’s name projected in the top-10 in almost every single one. The Boston College edge defender flat-out dominated as a junior in 2016, racking up 18 sacks, seven hits and 44 hurries. That was 16 more total pressures than No. 1 overall pick Myles Garett.

Landry would kick off the 2017 season with back-to-back five-pressure performances against Northern Illinois and Wake Forest. But by the time they faced off against Notre Dame in Week 3, something was noticeably wrong with Landry. He only played 38 of a possible 78 snaps in that game, and while no formal injury was reported, he wasn’t close to the same guy down the stretch. Over the last six games before injury ended his season, Landry notched all of 19 pressures. Many of those reps where Landry took a hard-outside move that resulted in sacks in 2016, were now ending with him getting pushed past the quarterback. Was his bend an issue or was the ankle that ultimately took him out for the year the problem?

With his special performance over the weekend, the answer looks resoundingly like the latter.

That’s a good thing for Landry and his draft stock. m to the top of a fairly non-descript edge class.

Perfect timing. His bowl performance vs Maryland was spectacular. He’s been in my top 13, in this class, for awhile.

36 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Perfect timing. His bowl performance vs Maryland was spectacular. He’s been in my top 13, in this class, for awhile.

I recall at least according to some beat guys they wanted to add pass rushers last year.  If they lose Galette, i wonder if its under consideration again.  

Now, personally my preference is to trade down and take a RB.  But putting that aside, it might not be how they see it.  I haven't given up on Ryan Anderson.  Anderson though really bombed the combine.  His athleticism is below par for the position. Landry is the opposite -- he has some serious athleticism.  He'd be also different from the pass rushers we got now who are power guys.  Landry is a speed rusher so he brings a different dynamic.

50 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I understand that it would seemingly make less sense today, but it would still be better for the organization. The mistake of trading for Alex Smith shouldn’t impede us from doing what gives us a shot at being a contender in the future. “You don’t trade a 3rd & your best young defensI’ve player for Alex Smith if...” you can fill that ellipsis with 100 things. It was an atrocious move. Imho.

I agree with you 100%.  I hate the Smith trade too and I hate the way the Cousins situation played out.  Letting a franchise QB walk for nothing and replacing him with a mild downgrade who is 4 years older by trading our best young defensive player and a third rounder in order to save 4.5 million dollars a year in salary is one of the most breathtakingly horrific mistakes I've ever seen a front office make.  I'm at the point where I'd cheer at a public beheading of Bruce Allen.

The opportunity cost we just paid because of this Kirk Cousins debacle is devastating, and I don't think most people realize it.  I know that the only thing sustaining my fanhood is ignoring it.  And it's going to keep getting worse because we're NOT going to do what you said: target one of the dank QB prospects in this class and get value from our best player, who has no chance of being around and healthy during the Superbowl window for a LaMar Jackson or a Josh Rosen or a Baker Mayfield led contender.

We're absolutely, 100% going to try and win with Alex Smith.

And who knows, we might get lucky and make a run to an NFC title game or something with him.  And I am positive that this will be enough for Dan Snyder.  We're a second rate franchise with awful ownership and management and the real goal each season is to sustain enough success to keep the fanbase engaged.

Bruce Allen and his subordinates should have been fired at the end of the season and the house should have been completely cleaned out.  The Cousins debacle was a big enough failure to demand it.  An entirely new FO should be trading our aging assets and picking our QB right now.

But none of that happened, so realistic discussion of the non-QBs in this class are all we have left.

I will say this though: even if we didn't have Smith and we drafted one of these first round QBs, there is a lot of value in having a LT like Trent for a young QB even if there is no chance Trent will be here for the meat of that guy's career.  And you never know, sometimes a young QB can compete for Superbowls faster than you expect, like Wentz did in Philly.

28 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

Man Crush Here. Would love for him to be there at #4, but doubt it.

If they wait for best RB available in the 2nd, my guess is it might be a choice between Penny, K. Johnson, Chubb.  In that case, I'd be happy with Penny.  I notice PFF has a mega man crush on the dude.   Would help our wretched special teams, too.

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

If that kid Penny makes it to the 4th round than a lot of GM's dropped the ball. WOW

I'd be surprised.  If we had a third rounder still, I wouldn't panic because I think there is an outside shot that Penny or Chubb or maybe K. Johnson drop to the early 3rd.  Doubt it but its not far fetched either. 

IMO if we wait until the 4th.  We likely will be talking about the 3rd tier guys. Guys like Wadley, Ballage, etc.  And been there done that too many times IMO.  If we are stuck on the 4th round my favorite would likely be Hines but he's not an everyday RB.

That's why for me its 2nd round worse case.  Yeah I'd be stunned if Penny drops to the 4th.  4.46 speed.  Has some power.  Good special teams guy.  If I recall on PFF's metrics he's the most elusive RB in the draft.

Will have a shot at Johnson, Chubb and Penny at 44. Barkley, Guice, Jones and Michel will be gone by then though. 

Trading into the 20’s should give you the sweet spot and first shot at the RBs. Guice may go to Detroit at 20 but otherwise few threats to take a RB before the 2nd round kicks off and TB/NYG/IND/OAK/DEN pick and there’s a run an inevitable on the position 

@volsmet @stevemcqueen1

Earlier today, as the deadline loomed, I was thinking about the idea of cutting Norman (June 1 cut).  Just the idea of saving space to sign Hankins and (perhaps) extend Smith and Scherff.  I knew it wouldn’t happen, and I wasn’t sure it was even a good idea, but reading your conversation brought it back to mind.  

There seems to be a certain lack of understanding from the FO.  I mean, who looks at the weaknesses from last year, looks at our FAs, looks at the likely free agent market, looks at our cap space, and thinks... “we’re close”?  We were close to having a good defense last year, but injuries, the lack of a NT and the lack of depth at DL killed us.  Now we’ve taken a step backward.  Our run game was atrocious, and now we’re without a G or a good back... and our top TEs still can’t block.  

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot I like about this team, I just don’t see the resources to fix the biggest weaknesses (as well as addressing the lost depth).  If we spend those resources and get really lucky in the draft, and Smith meshes with the offense quickly, we could be pretty good... except that you’re likely going to lose Scherff and Preston Smith next year.  

Anyway, I’m with you steve - I’m trying to bury my head in the sand about the trade and embrace the win now mode.  

On that note, if we land Hankins, the next item on my wishlist is runningback. Back, slot corner and LG are all big needs, but back is the one position that we have a chance at a very good prospect.  Except, our 2nd will likely be toward the tail end of a run on backs.  I’d love to trade down a bit and take Guice (or some others), but at this point,  if that doesn’t work out, I strongly consider Guice at 13.  

Many will disagree, I just see him as a great fit for us.  He’s the bruiser that Gruden wants, but has far better speed and burst than Perine and Kelley.  He’s a serious upgrade to the position.  Much like NT, we’ve gone too long with it insufficiently addressed.  

Don’t get me wrong, a back isn’t going to fix our ground game by himself, we need a G and blocking TE (minimum).  It just doesn’t make sense to bypass a top back in this draft. 

With all of that said, I would be so relieved to get Hankins - to finally land a true, talented NT - that I would (at that point) be open to going a different route.  Landry at 13, and a top olineman with our 2nd, for example.  

Archived