Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

What makes it even funnier is that Minnesota is getting the same return for their one-year rental of Keenum... It is what it is

No need to beat a dead horse, but this isn't an NFL rules problem, this is a Redskins FO problem.

Didn't Kirk basically say he wanted to be out of here?

Fitzpatrick is interesting. He’s been an assumed Top 5 pick but not much talk on him falling. I could easily see Cleveland going James over Fitz at 4. Or James going to TB/CHI/SF ... really do wonder what the thoughts are on Roquan. So many wanted him back in December/January but a couple folks say he isn’t a good fit with ZB next to him and we write him off. But I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if we went for him or Edmunds. Also, Edmunds pass rushing abilities and possibly as an ilb and being young may be a sleeper pick for us if he’s there. 

Could see see a lot of folks against that if it happens. But some think he could be the best athlete in the draft. 

Bottom lin is if we stay at 13 we will get a very good defender. I only wish we could land Hankins so we can make sure that pick goes to an impact player who is on the field a majority of the time. 

if we stick in the 2nd round -- guessing Guice, Michel and Jones are gone.  If so, then I am between Penny and K. Johnson maybe Chubb.  And it wouldn't shock me if 1 or 2 of those guys are gone, too.  If so hopefully one is left.

Ed Retweeted

The 2018 NFL Draft's top two breakaway runners from 2017

DYvl73cX0AAfLiu.jpg

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

What makes it even funnier is that Minnesota is getting the same return for their one-year rental of Keenum... It is what it is

No need to beat a dead horse, but this isn't an NFL rules problem, this is a Redskins FO problem.

Just reminds me in 2011 or 2012 I wanna say the Chargers lost Melvin Ingram for the season to an OTA injury. It was for the most part a foot note in most reports, nothing came of it. The following year, Dallas lost Sean Lee for I wanna say most if not all that year for also suffering an injury in OTA's. I remember Jerry immediately calling for action on OTA's workouts and the  NFL changed the rules on contact drills THAT YEAR..

Just seeing how its such a rare occasion what we've gone through you wish something unique would come of it. And I know if it was Dallas something would have been said if not proposed..

Yes I'm gonna keep beating this dead horse..

As the draft is getting closer, seems like Vea is going before 13 more than before is mocks for what that's worth -- and that's maybe nothing. Keim said something in his column about him potentially being a top 10 pick.  D. James seems a hot commodity too post combine.  

My guess right now pre 13

J. Allen

Mayfield 

Barkley

J. Rosen

S. Darnold

N. Chubb

Nelson

Likely to go pre 13

Edmonds

Fitzpatrick 

James

D. Ward

Maybe

R. Smith

V. Vea

Then you got some wildcards like Ridley or a tackle or some throw Hurst high or Davenport or L. Jackson.

So even if I run with the top 13, a big D prospect likely falls. If we get a surprise which almost always happens you might get an unexpected fall like D. Ward, Fizpatrick, James.  I don't think James is a given to fall to 13.  I think its 50-50. 

I was listening to a Cowboys reporter who thought they might consider leapfrogging over Baltimore to get Ridley.  There is some buzz at least on twitter that both Dallas and Baltimore want Ridley.  Wonder if either team is a potential trade down partner. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if we stick in the 2nd round -- guessing Guice, Michel and Jones are gone.  If so, then I am between Penny and K. Johnson maybe Chubb.  And it wouldn't shock me if 1 or 2 of those guys are gone, too.  If so hopefully one is left.

Count me in on believing that Nick Chubb will be the value pick of RBs from this draft. Ridiculous freshman year, with SPARQ scores that were off the charts. Had a very solid year this season, and hammered the combine, putting up a SPARQ score in the top 5 of RBs in the past 5 years...after a devestating knee injury.

Great strength, vision, and insane athleticism. If not for Barkley being a generational talent in the same draft, I believe Chubb would be getting a lot more attention.

Also, showed he can catch the ball, with 18 receptions his freshman season. Hasn't been asked to do much of that the past two seasons because of Michel. Looks smooth and natural catching the ball whenever I've seen him.

To me, the definition of a bell cow NFL running back.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ed Retweeted

The 2018 NFL Draft's top two breakaway runners from 2017

DYvl73cX0AAfLiu.jpg

I highly doubt 4-5 RBs go before our pick in the second round. Last year was considered a very strong RB class as well and only 2 went before where we pick this year.The year before that only 1. RB might be having somewhat of a renaissance due to the success of recent rookie backs but I think 4 is stretching it and 5 is just not going to happen. Teams place too much a premium on other positions and you can always find productive backs later on, this year will be no different. 

4 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

If we sign Hankins and Vea, Nelson and Barkley are off the board I would draft Isaiah Wynn LG/T from Georgia who is rated only behind Quenton Nelson and higher than Billy Price, this would fix our OL. Then take a RB or DT in the 2nd & 4th.

I’d be game for that... but I’d try like heck to trade down a bit first.  Use Consigliere’s idea of utilizing the pick gained to move up for a back if a run starts.  

Getting Hankins, and a starting G and back would be absolutely huge for this team, especially if the FO is serious about contending short term.  

16 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I highly doubt 4-5 RBs go before our pick in the second round. Last year was considered a very strong RB class as well and only 2 went before where we pick this year.The year before that only 1. RB might be having somewhat of a renaissance due to the success of recent rookie backs but I think 4 is stretching it and 5 is just not going to happen

5 is just not going to happen? Wondering how you can be so definitve. Clearly a lot of draft geeks disagree, judging by mock after mock. Anything is possible.

We will see.

Not sure where you are pulling your numbers from. Last year 4 went before #44. And a 5th RB went just a few picks after. Mixon and Cook likely would have gone even sooner if not for their personal baggage. Mixon many said would have been a sure fire first rounder if not for his baggage.

So you got. Fournette. Mccaffrey. Samuel. Cook. The surprise drop ironically was Kamara who was projected as a 2nd rounder but dropped to the third.

Considering you had already 4-5 rbs last year around the range of our 2nd round pick and a bunch of them made an impact, I think the odds are if anything better that interest is spiked not dampened to get one in this draft which is likewise a golden opportunity to upgrade the position.

Only problem with trading back is I've seen mocks where San Diego or Seattle took Wynn between 15-18 so I'd rather get him for sure at 13 then take Rashad Penney or Chubb in the 2nd and DT Tim Settle from VT in the 4th. After that I don't care what positions or players they take as long as none are kickers, LOL.

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’d be game for that... but I’d try like heck to trade down a bit first.  Use Consigliere’s idea of utilizing the pick gained to move up for a back if a run starts.  

I don't think we need to go chasing a RB in the draft.  A strategy where we move down early and often and let the draft come to us will work.  This is a pretty strong class throughout the first 100 guys.  It makes sense to be patient and try and add picks in that range by moving down.

I'd rather "settle" for picking Akrum Wadley in the fourth round than trade picks to move up in the second or late first for someone like Penny or Michel or Freeman.

19 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

Only problem with trading back is I've seen mocks where San Diego or Seattle took Wynn between 15-18 so I'd rather get him for sure at 13 then take Rashad Penney or Chubb in the 2nd and DT Tim Settle from VT in the 4th. After that I don't care what positions or players they take as long as none are kickers, LOL.

Wynn is a substantial reach at 13.  He's an undersized tackle who isn't a natural fit for a power man scheme.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

5 is just not going to happen? Wondering how you can be so definitve. Clearly a lot of draft geeks disagree, judging by mock after mock. Anything is possible.

We will see.

Not sure where you are pulling your numbers from. Last year 4 went before #44. And a 5th RB went just a few picks after. Mixon and Cook likely would have gone even sooner if not for their personal baggage. Mixon many said would have been a sure fire first rounder if not for his baggage.

So you got. Fournette. Mccaffrey. Samuel. Cook. The surprise drop ironically was Kamara who was projected as a 2nd rounder but dropped to the third.

Considering you had already 4-5 rbs last year around the range of our 2nd round pick and a bunch of them made an impact, I think the odds are if anything better that interest is spiked not dampened to get one in this draft which is likewise a golden opportunity to upgrade the position.

Missed McCaffery but Samuel is a WR. So that’s three. And I haven’t done the research but I’d venture to guess it’s been a very long time since 5 RBs went before pick 44. I just feel it’s not going to happen, for the reasons I listed above. Impossible? Of course not. Highly improbable? Yeah I’d say so. 

2 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

I highly doubt 4-5 RBs go before our pick in the second round. Last year was considered a very strong RB class as well and only 2 went before where we pick this year.The year before that only 1. RB might be having somewhat of a renaissance due to the success of recent rookie backs but I think 4 is stretching it and 5 is just not going to happen. Teams place too much a premium on other positions and you can always find productive backs later on, this year will be no different. 

Three went: Fournette, McCaffrey and Cook and the only reason Mixon fell as far as he did was the video came out, otherwise he's a first round pick.You and the NFL for that matter are missing the point here. The reason 2016 had only one was because the RB class was dog ----. It was Zeke and that was it. No other RB had a Grady worthy of a 2nd rounder, let alone another first. It was horrific, ditto the drafts 2009-2014. 2015 was loaded with second tier depth, 2017 was loaded at the top and deep, and 2018 is a bit shallower at the top but is also deeper than '17, and '17 and '18 are deeper than any RB class I've ever seen in terms of top 75 overall talent. 

It's not about what year it is, or things being hot or not, and I'm shocked guys like Kiper (in a recent podcast) who focus so much on the draft missed this and if the NFL did as well then theyre dribbling morons. RB's shouldn't be hot because there are more good ones, RB should be hot because the 2017 and 2018 classes were the best back to back classes maybe ever, and the 2015, 2017 and 2018 RB classes have more talent than virtually all the rest of the classes since 2001 combined. That's how different these classes were. Huge depth in terms of second tier talent and third tier talent, and a decent amount of cream (I'd say about 9 or 10 cream level RB prospects amongst those three drafts). 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think we need to go chasing a RB in the draft.  A strategy where we move down early and often and let the draft come to us will work.  This is a pretty strong class throughout the first 100 guys.  It makes sense to be patient and try and add picks in that range by moving down.

I'd rather "settle" for picking Akrum Wadley in the fourth round than trade picks to move up in the second or late first for someone like Penny or Michel or Freeman.

Wynn is a substantial reach at 13.  He's an undersized tackle who isn't a natural fit for a power man scheme.

Wadley doesn't solve anything. We already have a better version in Thompson. 

46 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Three went: Fournette, McCaffrey and Cook and the only reason Mixon fell as far as he did was the video came out, otherwise he's a first round pick.You and the NFL for that matter are missing the point here. The reason 2016 had only one was because the RB class was dog ----. It was Zeke and that was it. No other RB had a Grady worthy of a 2nd rounder, let alone another first. It was horrific, ditto the drafts 2009-2014. 2015 was loaded with second tier depth, 2017 was loaded at the top and deep, and 2018 is a bit shallower at the top but is also deeper than '17, and '17 and '18 are deeper than any RB class I've ever seen in terms of top 75 overall talent. 

It's not about what year it is, or things being hot or not, and I'm shocked guys like Kiper (in a recent podcast) who focus so much on the draft missed this and if the NFL did as well then theyre dribbling morons. RB's shouldn't be hot because there are more good ones, RB should be hot because the 2017 and 2018 classes were the best back to back classes maybe ever, and the 2015, 2017 and 2018 RB classes have more talent than virtually all the rest of the classes since 2001 combined. That's how different these classes were. Huge depth in terms of second tier talent and third tier talent, and a decent amount of cream (I'd say about 9 or 10 cream level RB prospects amongst those three drafts). 

You’re basically proving my point. Even in one of the most loaded classes of all time, three went before where we pick this year in the second round. Fine, say four would have counting Mixon. That’s still not 5, which is what I said wouldn’t happen this year. I don’t know why that’s so outlandish. Loaded classes also afford teams the opportunity to pick players at other positions and still get a really good RB later on. The chiefs with hunt and saints with kamara from last year come to mind. 

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Wadley doesn't solve anything. We already have a better version in Thompson. 

Thompson does not run like Wadley.  Thompson is a patient, canny runner who flows upfield.  He's a well rounded player who makes his mark on passing downs.

Wadley is a waterbug who creates for himself behind the line of scrimmage and is a home run hitter in space.

But, even if he were the same as or a slightly lesser version of Chris Thompson, that's not actually a bad thing.  Chris Thompson's biggest limitation is that we can't use him every down.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Thompson does not run like Wadley.  Thompson is a patient, canny runner who flows upfield.  He's a well rounded player who makes his mark on passing downs.

Wadley is a waterbug who creates for himself behind the line of scrimmage and is a home run hitter in space.

But, even if he were the same as or a slightly lesser version of Chris Thompson, that's not actually a bad thing.  Chris Thompson's biggest limitation is that we can't use him every down.

That's why I liked the idea of McKinnon in FA. Two speedy guys who could share time so one was always fresh and some insurance for injuries. With Perine as a power back mixed in.

Didn't like McKinnon at the price he got, though, just to be clear.

10 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Missed McCaffery but Samuel is a WR. So that’s three. And I haven’t done the research but I’d venture to guess it’s been a very long time since 5 RBs went before pick 44. I just feel it’s not going to happen, for the reasons I listed above. Impossible? Of course not. Highly improbable? Yeah I’d say so. 

Samuel is a hybrid but listed more as a RB versus receiver before that draft. He was a hybrid.  Ironically he was compared a lot to McCaffrey back then.  Rushed more than received.  For Carolina with all the RBs in the fold -- used him as a more of a pass caching guy and listed him as a WR but in effect didn't play much at all because he got hurt and was lost for the season.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/curtis-samuel-1.html

But even if I pretended Samuel wasn't a running back in college.  Mixon just went a few picks after ours and its not crazy leap to say it was his baggage that dropped him.  So that would be 4 in the bag pretending Samuel didn't play RB in college where that would be 5. 

And if you listen to Keim, the Redskins are afraid it will happen here.  That's a lot to ignore to run with 4 being a stretch and 5 is just simply not going to happen. 

For that to happen, NFL teams would have to had to be discouraged versus encouraged by what they saw last year where the RB crop -- coupled with as pointed out here there are a lot of team with RB needs and they'd decide to blow off that need early.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Curtis-Samuels-time-is-coming/fa3fcd3c-c0ce-48a3-ad14-cc3969b0461b

That weapon could help unlock Carolina’s run game. Don't forget, Samuel played plenty of running back at Ohio State, so the Panthers could eventually line him up in the backfield. Plus, defenses have recently stacked the box in an effort to shut down the Panthers' more traditional run game, and it’s worked. 

The Charlotte Observer's Jourdan Rodrigue noted the similarities between Samuel and Carolina's first-round pick, Christian McCaffrey:

At pick no. 40, the Panthers take Ohio State running back/receiver Curtis Samuel. Another swiss-army-knife. Huh.

1 hour ago, sjinhan said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000922149/article/fiveround-mock-draft-buffalo-bills-trade-up-for-baker-mayfield

this mock from nfl.com thinks we will pass on M Fitzpatrick for DJ Moore????  Haha if we did something this dumb then all of our fears about competency of the FO will be validated!

Lord have mercy.  That'd be a reach by a full round or more.

There is no draft law that says five runningbacks can't be taken in the first 43 picks.  There is a high degree in variance in trends from year to year.  You can't project whether or not X position will have a run at Y point in the draft based on previous classes.  You have to figure out where each player's value is on your big board to project where they'll go and where runs might occur.

I remember last year a site that tracks that accuracy of mocks had Laconfora as having the most accurate one.  Breer said he does his mocks purely from pestering personnel guys he knows.  So his mocks could be interesting because they are purely buzz driven.  Here is his new one.  We get D. Ward.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/21/mock-draft-sam-darnold-browns-bills-trade-giants-josh-allen-broncos-trade-browns-baker-mayfield?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social 

. Cleveland: Sam Darnold, QB, USC 
Darnold is not perfect, but he’s still a damn good prospect. And when GM John Dorsey is looking for a leader he’s comfortable tying his professional future to, I think this 20-year-old is the guy.

2. Buffalo (projected trade with N.Y. Giants): Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
The Bills have done a nice job building capital for a bold swing. This is one. Allen’s potential is limitless, and his big frame and arm are made for Buffalo, though he has a ways to go.

3. N.Y. Jets (from Indianapolis): Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA 
I like the personality fit and on-field match between OC Jeremy Bates and Rosen, who’s seen as a “not for everyone” type of kid. He is the most evolved and natural passer in this group.

4. Denver (projected trade with Cleveland, owner of Houston’s pick): Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma 
Denver had Mayfield at the Senior Bowl, and they have a starter, in Case Keenum, who lines up nicely with his style. So the Broncos throw another dart at the QB board.

5. Cleveland (projected trade with Denver): Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State 
Imagine that. Cleveland gets its quarterback at 1, moves out of 4, and somehow still lands the player that most scouts regard as the best in the draft.

6. Indianapolis (from N.Y. Jets): Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State 
This would be a great scenario for GM Chris Ballard—all those picks intact, and Chubb and Quenton Nelson still on the board. The tiebreaker between the two? Position value.

7. Tampa Bay: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama 
Fitzpatrick is a more athletic, less physical version of Malcolm Jenkins who can play all over the secondary. If there’s a criticism, it’s that he’s maxed out. But he’s damn good already.

8. Chicago: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame 
I’ve had Denzel Ward here. But should Nelson fall this far, my guess is that new O-line coach Harry Hiestand, coming from Notre Dame, will make his opinion known.

9. San Francisco: Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech 
I’m on record loving the fit for Edmunds in a Seattle-style defense, playing the role K.J. Wright does for the Seahawks and De’Vondre Campbell does for the Falcons. I’ll sticking with that.

10. Oakland: Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia 
Another fit I’ve loved for a while, this is where “best player available” meets a crying need for a team. Smith has potential, as a middle linebacker, to emerge as the nerve center of a defense for a decade.

11. Miami: Da’Ron Payne, DL, Alabama 
I flirted with putting Marcus Davenport here, but in the end, with Ndamukong Suh gone, Miami needs help on the interior more. Payne is a safe pick in this area.

12. N.Y. Giants (projected trade with Buffalo, owner of Cincinnati’s pick): Marcus Davenport, EDGE, UTSA 
Word is the Giants love Barkley and Nelson, and I know dealing down isn’t in Gettleman’s history. But I think the offers will entice, and Davenport would be a good get at 12.

13. Washington: Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State 
Ward’s size knocks him down the board a little bit, with the league-wide trend being towards bigger corners. He’s too good to resist as a replacement for Kendall Fuller here.

Archived