Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

I'm a sucker for does numbers that you just posted about the RBs. But if I just go for the old skool eyeball test. Jones doesn't cut it for me then. Some call him Jamal Charles like but when he was at Texas I was amazed. The way he cut and accelerated on the field had me going like wauw. I don't get that with Jones. I see the physical ability but don't know. With Charles is just looked like so smooth the way he ran past defenders and found a way through traffic. Early career Clinton Port had that same ability. To cut through D's like a warm knife through butter. They just have great feel for the game and always find a way to create open space to run in. 

Do I need to look up some of the mid round RBs or do you think we are pretty set at getting on the first two draft days? 

44 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Do I need to look up some of the mid round RBs or do you think we are pretty set at getting on the first two draft days? 

Given that over multiple regimes, we have never found a bell cow RB with a pick in the first two rounds (Riggins and Portis were other teams picks) and finding a top quality back in the late rounds seems to be as much a numbers game as anything (last time we found a bell cow was Alfred Morris and we've tried 4 or more times now).  Larry Brown did beat out a 1 and a 3.  I believe that any back we take in the first two rounds is very likely to be a bust. If you really want to find a good back, we will probably have to spend a 1 or a 2 and he will be a bust.  Take a guy 3-7 and we got him.

7 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

I'll take the guy who rarely gets negative yards over anything else.

That guy can be found later then. Alfred Morris is available too I think.

We need a game changer.

What about the LG from Va tech?? Still learning the position but the attitude and strength is a plus. Nice work for Callahan.

I think the Skins should focus on improving the offense with this draft.  I'd like to see the top 3 or 4 picks used on offensive players to help Smith and the offense succeed in 2018.  None of us expect the Skins to win the division or more in 2018 but I think we will all be disappointed and upset with management if Smith's first year goes poorly.

The fanbase doesn't have a lot of faith in Snyder and his FO crew, this is a gross understatement, most of us have little or no faith in them at all.  If they can pull out a strong draft that enables the offense to function at a high level around Smith it will make the FO office appear more in command of things and build confidence.  The Skins need to improve the running game so I'd like to see the first couple of round used on the line.  The left guard, center and tight end run blocking need improvement.  I'd like to see a new back but our current backs might be good enough with better blocking in front of them.  I called for using the top picks for interior OL in 2017 also, I think it is even more important to do that now.

5 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

That guy can be found later then. Alfred Morris is available too I think.

We need a game changer.

Yeah, might as well stick with Kelley then - didn’t he fare quite well on... I can’t recall now... something to do with being hit in the backfield and still getting something positive?

We’ve dealt with our fair share of limited backs.  Guice and Chubb (and Barkley of course, as well as some others) offer that blend of power, wiggle, burst, vision, and high end speed.  They’re also likely to be able to do (far) more when catching the ball too.  

Obviously our run game struggles aren’t only due to back, but they’re a pretty big part of the problem.  I will be interested to see how Perine develops. He was a pleasant surprise later in the season.  Not that he played particularly well, but I started seeing him show some of his skills and a better understanding of the scheme.  I think he struggled with when to be patient, and when to burst through a hole... which I think was partly due to the team using a hybrid run scheme.  

My almost daily Vea and Payne are not that good post. Since we still have a huge question mark on Hankins I am going to throw all of my chips in on Harrison Phillips being a first rounder and slamming the table on him being the best NT in the draft. Better pass rushing than Vea or Payne by a mile. Ridiculous ability to track down the ball carrier and does not miss when he arrives. Gets into the backfield on a regular basis causing disruption. Does not take plays off. Can split double teams better than either of the other two mentioned. If Payne is projected to us I do not know why Phillips cant be too. Its silly when watching film on these guys that he is not being projected higher than him. I'm all in now for sure. At least for this moment haha.

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I could see Gruden wanting us taking Guice.  He is a incredible power runner.  Reminds me of a young Marshawn Lynch.  I only think this makes sense if we shore up the interior of the DL by signing Hankins.  Otherwise, we almost have to go NT/DT with #13, then the best running back available in the 2nd.  My hopes are that we trade down though in the 1st.

Don't sleep on Taven Bryan... I think he ends up being the steal of this draft... drawing Cam Jordan comparisons. Kid's extremely athletically gifted, son of a Navy Seal. He's still refining his skills but I could see him in the league for many years as an elite DT/DE.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/taven-bryan?id=2560140

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkRFCVz8mCY

Harrison Phillips and Taven Bryan strike me as more 3-4 Ends than NT. Don't get me wrong, I'd be MORE than happy with either one. But not at #13.

If you see my super trade-down mock from yesterday, I went the route of drafting Phillips in the 2nd and adding a NT in the 4th. All the extra picks allowed for that luxury, since I also got Hernandez and Penny. It won't happen in real life, but I'm all for Phillips. He's more of a 20's to late 1st - early 2nd type of pick though. I'm not saying he isn't worth #13, but if the perception is he could be had later on, I would much rather trade back and add a 2nd or 3rd/4th.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Harrison Phillips and Taven Bryan strike me as more 3-4 Ends than NT. Don't get me wrong, I'd be MORE than happy with either one. But not at #13.

If you see my super trade-down mock from yesterday, I went the route of drafting Phillips in the 2nd and adding a NT in the 4th. All the extra picks allowed for that luxury, since I also got Hernandez and Penny. It won't happen in real life, but I'm all for Phillips. He's more of a 20's to late 1st - early 2nd type of pick though. I'm not saying he isn't worth #13, but if the perception is he could be had later on, I would much rather trade back and add a 2nd or 3rd/4th.

This is another case where trading back could be a big help.  You draft Phillips and then have either more ammo to trade up in the 2nd, or a better chance at landing a G you want (and a back if the pickings aren’t too thin). 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Taven Bryan is absolutely a DE in our scheme. I wouldn't even consider him for NT. I think The Greek held down NT very well with Bryan/Allen on the ends.

@JamesMadisonSkins My logic for Phillips at 13 has got to do with people wanting Payne or Vea there more than anything. If we are going to go diving that early with a NT I think Phillips should be the guy for sure. Though personally I feel like we should not even consider drafting a nose until mid to late 20's at the earliest but that goes against popular opinion.

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Taven Bryan is absolutely a DE in our scheme. I wouldn't even consider him for NT. I think The Greek held down NT very well with Bryan/Allen on the ends.

I wish we could figure out the deal with Hankins (I know there's no rush for the team obviously) ... but as fans, it helps clear up the draft a lot more.

As fans, it's hard to predict or anticipate the draft with so much unknown ahead of us and so much to unfold in FA. Hankins signing, for example, goes a long way in shaping our draft approach, especially in Round 1. Let's just say we don't make any substantial moves other than maybe add a Pernell McPhee the rest of the way (to replace Murphy/Galette essentially) ... the most straight-forward draft at this moment without any trades would be:

1.13: Vita Vea, DT Washington

2.12: Kerryon Johnson, RB Auburn / Nick Chubb, RB Georgia / Rashad Penny, RB SDSU

4.13: Wyatt Teller, OG Va. Tech

5.12: Tony Brown, CB Alabama

6.12: Christian Sam, ILB Arizona State

7.13: Marcell Harris, S Florida

7.23: Antonio Callaway, WR Florida

I wouldn't dislike this draft. It would plug 3 substantial holes.

But here's where I get frustrated. I get rolling the cap space over and pushing it toward re-signing guys next year. But if you're just not going to spend the cap space that you have, it's a lost opportunity.

Still watching this video, but so far I think it's his best one in awhile.  It highlights a huge issue with pairing Zach Brown and Roquan Smith together.  Both of them play like this.  So if we did draft him, how would we manage to protect both of our ILB's?  I think there are better ways to improve our team than adding redundancy with Zach Brown.

I'd love a trade down.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maurice Hurst runs a 4.97 at his Pro Day

Direct message

That's disappointing.  A little slow for his weight and style of play.  Geno Atkins came in at 4.75.  Aaron Donald came in at 4.68.  He compares more to our own Ziggy Hood, but a little lighter and slower than Hood was.  For comparison, Vita Vea weighing 55 pounds more, ran only 0.13 slower.

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Still watching this video, but so far I think it's his best one in awhile.  It highlights a huge issue with pairing Zach Brown and Roquan Smith together.  Both of them play like this.  So if we did draft him, how would we manage to protect both of our ILB's?  I think there are better ways to improve our team than adding redundancy with Zach Brown.

I would assume that's why Keim has said multiple times that he hears Roquan Smith won't be drafted if they resign Zach Brown.  Both are natural Mo-MLBs.  Their skill set is running down guys from the weak side.  You need to have a natural Mike-MLB plug the A gap thumper type.    That would be more an Edmonds type.

On another note, I notice Vea is mocked a lot lately to the Dolphins before our pick.  Checking out buzz on twitter -- the Lions and Dolphins are as desperate for a RB as we are -- some talk the Lions could take Guice at 20 if he is there.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would assume that's why Keim has said multiple times that he hears Roquan Smith won't be drafted if they resign Zach Brown.  Both are natural Mo-MLBs.  Their skill set is running down guys from the weak side.  You need to have a natural Mike-MLB plug the A gap thumper type.    That would be more an Edmonds type.

On another note, I notice Vea is mocked a lot lately to the Dolphins before our pick.  Checking out buzz on twitter -- the Lions and Dolphins are as desperate for a RB as we are -- some talk the Lions could take Guice at 20 if he is there.

I don't think Edmunds is a Mike either though.  Edmunds has poor vision and instincts.  He loses track of action a lot.  Spaces out and misses the RB leaking to the flat, gets routinely confused by play action or misdirection.  His read and react is slow.  He's only 19 years old, so I imagine this can all change.  But right now he's best in specific roles where he's not asked to do a whole lot.

I think Leighton Vander Esch is the best Mike in the draft.  But to be honest, he seems like a future solid player, not great.  I never think "wow" or "this guy is making plays!" when watching his tape.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think Edmunds is a Mike either though.  Edmunds has poor vision and instincts.  He loses track of action a lot.  Spaces out and misses the RB leaking to the flat, gets routinely confused by play action or misdirection.  His read and react is slow.  He's only 19 years old, so I imagine this can all change.  But right now he's best in specific roles where he's not asked to do a whole lot.

Ok, I haven't really paid attention to him but I know size wise he fits the Mike MLB.  Vander Esch, too. Point taken though.

Archived