Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce sharing his top 15?  Just kidding.  but Pauline isn't a nobody so I buy that someone shared it with him, as for whether they told him the truth though who knows?

http://draftanalyst.com/draft-news-notes-sharing-their-top-15

Team boards are rounding into final shape, especially at the top. So how do some teams view the top 15 prospects?

In conversations last week, the day before Josh Allen had his pro-day workout, a team picking in the top 15 -- who shall remained unnamed -- shared the order of top 15 players on its board. It went like this:

14 - Leighton Vander Esch/LB/Boise State

Size, athleticism, etc, sure he's valuable there.  He does some things very well on tape such as dropping back into coverage.  But all in all I don't see the aggressiveness I'd like.  I don't think he wants to attack as much.

Also, with 3 QB's at the top of the that board, I feel like that's gotta be a QB needy team right?

24 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Strongly disagree.  He's bad at taking on blockers, and sometimes goes too far out of his way to avoid them.  Tight Ends, if they can get their hands on him, can neutralize him.  On the right team, he can be a really good linebacker.  But he has to be kept clean.

Ray Lewis was schemed to succeed.  Ray also demanded the Ravens improve the trenches or he'd leave in FA because he didn't want to deal with taking on blockers.  The Ravens then drafted Ngata.  Roquan could have a Ray Lewis like impact, but he needs the right personnel around him.

Luke Kuechly was a better all around prospect than Roquan coming out.  He handled blockers well in college.  London Fletcher navigated traffic (for us) better than Roquan does in college.

I would love Roquan on our team, but not with our D-Line, and not when paired with Zach Brown.

Are you seriously implying that one of the main reasons a HoF player was enshrined into Canton is because his coaches were brilliant enough to put him in the perfect scheme? That's ridiculous

I'd actually be OK with drafting Guice at 13. I think he fully grades out as a mid-first round prospect, maybe on the later end, so while it might be a slight reach, it is nothing to cry over. We desperately need some more players with attitude on our team, particularly on offense. We've got some guys on D who can fill that role, but most of our leaders on offense seem to be quiet, lead by example types. 

I think the offense really missed Garcon last year -- not as a WR, but as a leader on offense who plays with fire. 

The concept that selecting a player you really, really want, at the spot you are at, when he won't be there the next round, and there are no realistic trades down by which you can still get him, is a reach, is asinine.  "We didn't draft X, who would be awesome on our team, because we didn't want people to laugh at us."  Oy vey.

Wonder if Bruce or Doug will be judging Guice's table manners when they go out to dinner

Paul SchwartzVerified account @NYPost_Schwartz
FollowingFollowing @NYPost_Schwartz
More

Steve Tisch was part of the Giants' contingent that had dinner with Josh Rosen. "His table manners – unbelievable,'' Tisch said. "He was brought up very well. He’s a very charismatic young man.''

1 hour ago, CutPryorNow said:

Are you seriously implying that one of the main reasons a HoF player was enshrined into Canton is because his coaches were brilliant enough to put him in the perfect scheme? That's ridiculous

That's true for most players, it's not a slight.  If you find someone who can fill a role in a dominant fashion, why would you not shift the scheme to accentuate that?

In this draft, Quenton Nelson is talked about as one of the best college guards in a long time.  Sure fire starter, potential All-Pro.  But that's with the caveat of going to a team with the right scheme.  If he was used in a Shanahan-esque Outside Zone scheme, he'd struggle.  If he's in a man or some gap schemes, he could be dominant.

Of course Ray Lewis was in a scheme and roster suited for his talent.  You know which ILB's job it was to engage blockers first?  It wasn't Ray Lewis, it was guys like Bart Scott.  Ray Lewis would not have had the longevity he had, if he wasn't kept clean as well as he was.

Roquan Smith could be dominant in the NFL, perennial pro-bowler, but not if he doesn't have a roster that lets him do what he does best.

22 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's true for most players, it's not a slight.  If you find someone who can fill a role in a dominant fashion, why would you not shift the scheme to accentuate that?

In this draft, Quenton Nelson is talked about as one of the best college guards in a long time.  Sure fire starter, potential All-Pro.  But that's with the caveat of going to a team with the right scheme.  If he was used in a Shanahan-esque Outside Zone scheme, he'd struggle.  If he's in a man or some gap schemes, he could be dominant.

Of course Ray Lewis was in a scheme and roster suited for his talent.  You know which ILB's job it was to engage blockers first?  It wasn't Ray Lewis, it was guys like Bart Scott.  Ray Lewis would not have had the longevity he had, if he wasn't kept clean as well as he was.

Roquan Smith could be dominant in the NFL, perennial pro-bowler, but not if he doesn't have a roster that lets him do what he does best.

Would coaches be crazy not to scheme toward's the strength of one of their best talents. Absolutely crazy, but to imply that a HoF caliber player needs a scheme to make him great is silly IMO. I would vehemently argue what makes up a HoF player is just as much what is on the inside than their talent that everyone sees on the field. Do the players give credit to their coaches and everyone who helped make them great - sure, but what made them truly great is their passion and dedication to the game

1 hour ago, GothSkinsFan said:

The concept that selecting a player you really, really want, at the spot you are at, when he won't be there the next round, and there are no realistic trades down by which you can still get him, is a reach, is asinine.  "We didn't draft X, who would be awesome on our team, because we didn't want people to laugh at us."  Oy vey.

Everybody laughed when Dallas took Frederick a few years ago too.

25 minutes ago, CutPryorNow said:

Would coaches be crazy not to scheme toward's the strength of one of their best talents. Absolutely crazy, but to imply that a HoF caliber player needs a scheme to make him great is silly IMO. I would vehemently argue what makes up a HoF player is just as much what is on the inside than their talent that everyone sees on the field. Do the players give credit to their coaches and everyone who helped make them great - sure, but what made them truly great is their passion and dedication to the game

What do you think a scheme is?  You can take literally any hall of fame player, but him in the wrong spots and in the wrong scheme, and we'll think they aren't nearly as good.  Give Ray Lewis the role of a Tampa 2 Mike, and his job just got a lot harder.  Does he make the HoF in that role?  I don't know, but that doesn't play to his strengths.  Put him in as a 4-3 SAM and he'd struggle. 

Intensity, passion, and intangibles are mandatory.  You can't succeed in the NFL with out it.  You certainly can't make the HoF without it.

But no player is doing anything in the league if they're put in the wrong spots and assignments for their talent.

I just watched Bruce Allen's interview.  He hinted about their desire to trade down.  Matt Miller had one of the more accurate mocks last year - judging by his predictions and what ended up happening.  He goes Vea here -- and cites sources for what its worth if anything.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2766224-2018-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-latest-predictions-with-1-month-remaining

The Pick: DL Vita Vea, Washington

Previous Selection: S Derwin James, Florida State

Washington has been aggressive this offseason in adding quarterback Alex Smith, wide receiver Paul Richardson and cornerback Orlando Scandrick to a roster that still needs a decent bit of work. At pick No. 13, we could see another running back come off the board. But after looking at last year's draft class and talking to sources, I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the defensive line.

Vita Vea is a giant at 6'4", 347 pounds but is much more than just a big anchor in the middle of the line. Vea has movement skills, is an expert at splitting double-teams and can get into the backfield to make plays against the pass. He might be a two-and-a-half-down player, but he'll wreck things on those downs.    

11 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Last year 2 RBs and 3 WRs went in the first 9 picks. Come draft day I'm sure things will not fall as they are widely anticipated to right now.

The WR class is considered one of the worst in a very long time, I kinda like the depth in terms of third round and lower prospects, but few if any are special and most will cap out as WR2’s and slot guys if they make it at all. The RB class is not as elite at the top, but it’s also deeper in potential bell cows than ‘17 and more athletic. The ‘18 class had for top20 backs as prospects, but Cook fell due to bogus character flags (the incidents were total bs and in at least one case totally wrong on the facts) and medical while Mixon fell due to the punch. Hunt was probably a top 40 pick if he had accepted late in the game offers from bigger schools but he stayed loyal to Akron. Kamara had to share time w/disappointing 5 star megarecruit Jalen Hurd (who left mid season in ‘16).

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if Bruce or Doug will be judging Guice's table manners when they go out to dinner

More

Steve Tisch was part of the Giants' contingent that had dinner with Josh Rosen. "His table manners – unbelievable,'' Tisch said. "He was brought up very well. He’s a very charismatic young man.''

What these dinosaurs focus on is just so laughable it defies the imagination. Then again they supposedly aren’t going QB at slot which if true just totally underlines that fact.

17 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Last year 2 RBs and 3 WRs went in the first 9 picks. Come draft day I'm sure things will not fall as they are widely anticipated to right now.

Two RBs were supposed to go in the first 9, the WRs were a bit more surprising but not a lot. 

Jay Gruden: “There *will* be another running back in the building” by the time the draft is over #Redskins

Gruden seemed fairly dismissive of the idea #Redskins will take RB early in draft

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

17 hours ago, skinsfan834 said:

I'd actually be OK with drafting Guice at 13. I think he fully grades out as a mid-first round prospect, maybe on the later end, so while it might be a slight reach, it is nothing to cry over. We desperately need some more players with attitude on our team, particularly on offense. We've got some guys on D who can fill that role, but most of our leaders on offense seem to be quiet, lead by example types. 

I think the offense really missed Garcon last year -- not as a WR, but as a leader on offense who plays with fire. 

Taking Guice at 13 would be almost as enraging as the Alex Smith trade. We should trade this first for picks in next years draft. We could probably leverage this years first couple picks into 2 firsts next year. Next years draft includes Lawrence, Gary, Bosa, Clelin, Wilkins, Raekwon the Chef, Hubbard & Oliver. Thats just the top half of an absolutely ridiculous DL class. If we managed our assets looking towards that draft, we could easily get two of those guys, perhaps 3, to put next to Allen & really start to build something special up front. The top of this draft class isnt that good, imo. It really wouldn't be all that difficult to build something young in Washington that no one in Dallas, NY or Philly wanted to see.

As is, Wynn or Taven in trade down scenarios would be ideal if James/Smith are each gone by 13. So much less exciting playing in the top of this draft. Use humanity's need for instant gratification & get out of this dreadful first round. Payne is a guy people mock to us despite making only a few more plays in the backfield, in the last 4 years, than I did.

Oh Ed Oliver, Dexter Lawrence & Little Bosa, how I pine for thee. Not to mention Adams/Little/Williams at OT who are probably better than any OTs in this class.

Locking back in for a moment, Holton Hill is an interesting day 3 target. Hes an aggressive CB out of TX who may drop due to some chatacter concerns, but hes a high ceiling prospect for a Washington team that just parted with its top young DB & has limited picks. Sean Welsh is a tackle out of Iowa I like as a round 6ish prospect. 

#TradeTrent4Picks #UnleashTy 

Ed Oliver in Washington would make 4 of the last 20 years feel worth it. Ed Oliver & Dexter Lawrence would allow me to finally let go of the Jim Zorn thing. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jay Gruden: “There *will* be another running back in the building” by the time the draft is over #Redskins

Gruden seemed fairly dismissive of the idea #Redskins will take RB early in draft

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

We need to unleash the wild-perine with fat Rob in the backfield along side him. Incidentally, I wonder if Rob & Perine could beat Trent & Scherff in a combined-score triathlon.

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

More

Now Im curious. What do unbelievable table manners look like? 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It would not surprise me at all if the Redskins traded down with their first-round pick in an attempt to get at least a third in return then draft their RB with their first pick.

Archived