Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

3 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

It would not surprise me at all if the Redskins traded down with their first-round pick in an attempt to get at least a third in return then draft their RB with their first pick.

The team to do that with would be AZ at #15.

Just now, OVCChairman said:

QB that falls. 

Yep, that's the hope and thinking. :)  One of the blue chippers (Josh Allen and possibly, just possibly AZ falls in love with Lamar Jackson as other teams will want to trade up and get him type scenario so they trade up with us to secure him.)  Just a thought.

Think there was a tweet where Allen was supposed to have dinner with Guice.  I could be wrong and someone may be able to confirm the tweet that I saw.   I know this kind of stuff happens with visits and such but when they mentioned Allen that raised my eyebrows.  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Yep, that's the hope and thinking. :)  One of the blue chippers (Josh Allen and possibly, just possibly AZ falls in love with Lamar Jackson as other teams will want to trade up and get him type scenario so they trade up with us to secure him.)  Just a thought.

Thanks OVCChairman.  I meant which QB which RWJ just answered.  Someone could be infatuated with Jackson and want to move in front of AZ which would make AZ the ideal trade partner.

I like it!!!

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think if we do look to trade back our most realistic trade partner will be Dallas.

Why?  Are you thinking this because Allen traded back with them a few years ago when we acquired Murphy?

54 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Josh Allen is as likely to be there at 13 as I am to be taken at 12. 

47 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think if we do look to trade back our most realistic trade partner will be Dallas.

They are said to like the same guys most of us like, James, Wynn, & Smith. Do you see them moving up for someone else? 

47 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Why?  Are you thinking this because Allen traded back with them a few years ago when we acquired Murphy?

That trade worked out well for Dallas.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Think there was a tweet where Allen was supposed to have dinner with Guice.  I could be wrong and someone may be able to confirm the tweet that I saw.   I know this kind of stuff happens with visits and such but when they mentioned Allen that raised my eyebrows.  

It's true as to Bruce-Guice.  Apparently, Tomlin is also going out to eat with Guice. 

Jay today talked about wanting a RB who can run between the tackles but could also catch the ball.  Guice didn't catch the ball much but he supposedly has decent hands.  

Listening to JP Finlay, he's down on them taking a RB early.  He says they know they need DL and OL in the draft bad, with CB after that.  His feeling is they take a RB later or should take a RB later.   

I agree about DL, OL but disagree with this lets get a RB later in the draft rerun of a narrative.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's true as to Bruce-Guice.  Apparently, Tomlin is also going out to eat with Guice. 

Jay today talked about wanting a RB who can run between the tackles but could also catch the ball.  Guice didn't catch the ball much but he supposedly has decent hands.  

Jay is trying to throw the rest of the league off the scent. Saying stuff like that is how we snuck in & landed Perine. 

Just now, volsmet said:

Jay is trying to throw the rest of the league off the scent. Saying stuff like that is how we snuck in & landed Perine. 

I don't see Perine as a sneaky pick.  4th round seemed about right for him based on projections.    Keim among others talked about the Redskins interest in RB last year.  They talked about them liking and considering D. Cook.   

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Saying stuff like that is how we snuck in & landed Perine.

Lord help us then

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to JP Finlay, he's down on them taking a RB early.  He says they know they need DL and OL in the draft bad, with CB after that.  His feeling is they take a RB later or should take a RB later.   

I agree about DL, OL but disagree with this lets get a RB later in the draft rerun of a narrative.

Drafting for need almost never works out

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't see Perine as a sneaky pick.  4th round seemed about right for him based on projections.    Keim among others talked about the Redskins interest in RB last year.  They talked about them liking and considering D. Cook.   

My fault, I was joking, SIP. Its not all that easy to find a RB who cant "run between the tackles & catch the ball", but Jay finds them with regularity. 

6 minutes ago, zoony said:

Lord help us then

Drafting for need almost never works out

Agree.  The idea though of winning with mediocre or less than that running stop defenses and mediocre or less than that running games don't really work out either.   At some point, you can't every year say well sorry we can't run the ball or stop the run but the draft board just doesn't lend to fixing either problem.  If they used FA like some other winning teams do to address those needs then I think its much easier to go with a BPA ((I agree BPA is the way to go everything being equal) approach.  But if they are going to stick the team with major glaring needs going into the draft then it is what it is. 

But to your point, the odds that a run stopping DT and RB would flow in either permutation of the first and 2nd round is pretty high in terms of BPA or close enough.  I think the wild card is does a top secondary player fall to 13.

Team Dane Rob Pat (odd) Jim (even)
1. Cleveland Browns Sam Darnold, QB, USC Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
2. New York Giants Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
3. New York Jets Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
4. Cleveland Browns Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State
5. Denver Broncos Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming Sam Darnold, QB, USC Sam Darnold, QB, USC
6. Indianapolis Colts Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Derwin James, SS, Florida State Vita Vea, DT, Washington Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama
8. Chicago Bears Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State
9. San Francisco 49ers Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB/S, Alabama Derwin James, SS, Florida State
10. Oakland Raiders Vita Vea, DT, Washington Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State Vita Vea, DT, Washington
11. Miami Dolphins Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech Derwin James, SS, Florida State Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
12. Buffalo Bills Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama
13. Washington Redskins Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia Roquan Smith, ILB, Georgia

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Cooley has this crazy trade up idea where if Barkley falls to 5-6 we should trade up with our 1st, 2nd and some of our compensatory picks next year.

What do you all think?

It is as you described above: a crazy idea.  They need to add draft picks!!!

When will we know what our comp. picks are?  I think they are rewarded well after the draft.  So don't think we can do that.  We could trade our picks that we have this year:  1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th but that would be it as far as I know.  We have too many needs to do that.  Next year we might indulge in such a theory.

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched video on Guice and his hands are fine, however there isn't much video of him catching the ball.  The only thing he needs to work on is his pass pro blocking protection for Smith.

32 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Cooley has this crazy trade up idea where if Barkley falls to 5-6 we should trade up with our 1st, 2nd and some of our compensatory picks next year.

What do you all think?

The number of draft picks given up does not insure against a shredded knee or a blown achilles.... there is a huge risk giving up that much potential talent when we need difference makers.  He's that talented, and i'd be all for taking him with that pick if it was already ours... but trading up and giving up assets is tough for an unproven player... 

Then again Philly did it with Wentz

Archived