Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

It looks like if we want Guice, we're going to probably have to draft him at #13.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/81405/Report--Redskins,-Steelers-courting-Guice

FanRag Sports' Jon Ledyard reports that the Washington Redskins and Pittsburgh Steelers will both have sit-down dinners with LSU RB Derrius Guice in advance of his pro day on April 4.

Per Ledyard, the Steelers already had a formal combine interview with Guice. They'll be digging in further on the 5-foot-10, 224-pounder in a few days. Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert and HC Mike Tomlin will both be on hand for dinner with the LSU back. In terms of his Redskins dinner, he'll be wining and dining with team president Bruce Allen. The Buccaneers and Ravens have also shown interest in Guice during the evaluating process. While we don't view him as a top-10 pick, he's in play to potentially come off the board within the first 15 selections. In his most recent mock draft, for instance, Rotoworld's Josh Norris pegs Guice to those aforementioned Redskins at No. 13. You can consider that around his likely draft ceiling. We also would not be stunned if he clicked in closer to the end of Day 1.

I've felt the Lions are the biggest threat at 20, with a chance the Ravens get him at 16.

There MIGHT be a small window to make a trade work with the Seahawks at 18 or Cowboys at 19. Cowboys less likely but we did trade with them a few years back in the 2nd.

Moving from 13 to 18 with Seattle would make a LOT of sense if Derwin James is sitting there at 13. We could get their 2nd or 3rd (most likely 3rd) ... and 18 would be a great spt to take any of Guice/Payne/Wynn or maybe even Vea ... all at positions of need

Finlay today was asked what is his hunch from his conversations with people in the know as for the draft.  He said D line is where they will likely go in the first round, maybe pass rusher.  He said the wildcard is they love Fitzpatrick so if he drops they likely pull the trigger on him.  His gut is they are unlikely to go RB in the first.  

Having said that, even if all of that is true I doubt the FO is stuck on something right now in the draft this early.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay today was asked what is his hunch from his conversations with people in the know as for the draft.  He said D line is where they will likely go in the first round, maybe pass rusher.  He said the wildcard is they love Fitzpatrick so if he drops they likely pull the trigger on him.  His gut is they are unlikely to go RB in the first.  

Having said that, even if all of that is true I doubt the FO is stuck on something right now in the draft this early.

My current thought is we will pick Harold Landry. Might trade back, but he's the pick. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Anyone have interest in Isaiah Oliver in a trade-back scenario in the 1st or in the 2nd?  I haven't looked at his film yet, only what I've seen in this video.

Just watched that and 2 of his cutups.  I see what he's saying about press as an outside corner, and he looks legit there.  The rest of his game is a bit meh.  I don't like his effort against the run, I don't like him inside against the slot.  I think he is a little limited.  He's much better in press than off.

Does he travel around to wherever the 'X' receiver is (guy lined up on the line instead of back a bit), I don't know...since he had one snap in press against somebody in the slot and I thought he lost that snap.  That only happened once in 2 cutups though, so small sample size and all that jazz.

How would I rate him?  'C' being average.

'A' potential in press.

'D' quality play against the run

'C' in zone play (but wasn't in situations to really see all that often, so maybe this should be 'Incomplete' instead)

'C' burst to close quickly on action in front

'B' long speed

'A' size/length

'B' playing off within 3 to 5 yards

'D+' playing 8 to 10 yards off

'Incomplete' against WR screens.  Only saw 1 example, it was an option play and the QB decided to hand it off but Oliver appeared to be playing the screen well.

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My current thought is we will pick Harold Landry. Might trade back, but he's the pick. 

I admit trying to read tea leaves this early is more about entertainment than much else.  But for what its worth.

2 instances I recall hearing they like Davenport

2 instances (granted one is Walter football) that they love Fitzpatrick

multiple instances about them loving Josh Jackson

Recent instances that they like Vea over Payne.  Previously the thought was it was the reverse.

Multiple ties to Guice

Some ties to R. Jones

Doug talking about needing D line. Reporters saying they hear them saying the same

Running back played up hard as a need

Multiple references to trading down.

They might be looking LG relative early in the draft depending on FA

Guessing based on all of that the game plan might be something like this:

Take Fitzpatrick if he surprisingly falls

Maybe take Vea if he's there at 13.

Otherwise trade down if they could.  Take one of the players they like or grab Guice early depending on who is left. With the extra pick perhaps a third rounder combined with the first and 2nd, address LG, RB, DT. But if the BPA is from another position especially edge rusher or CB, they will play their cards that way.  If they are in love with Guice (don't know one way or another) there seems to be enough buzz out there that its feasible that he's gone by 20 or soon after. So in a trade down they might have their eye on him early.

All one big wild guess from me but that's my best shot at piecing everything together.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That reminds me, Finlay also said he's heard they really like Davenport.

My first thought has always been we will take the best Alabama defender on the board. I mean if Fitzpatrick is anywhere nearer dropping out the top ten you'd jump. I do think we will look to move back a few slots. Even if Vea is there, I think we move back. I'm staking Dallas as our trade down partner again.

Ive also seen the link to Davenport. I do think, following the McPhee signing, we need a speed guy on the edge. We do also need a dynamic DB to add to the mix.

First round I believe will be playmaker on defense, there just seems too many RBs on offer that allows us to wait. I do not like our spot in the second round though, we could do with being higher. Could see us moving around in the draft order some. 

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I admit trying to read tea leaves this early is more about entertainment than much else.  But for what its worth.

2 instances I recall hearing they like Davenport

2 instances (granted one is Walter football) that they love Fitzpatrick

multiple instances about them loving Josh Jackson

Recent instances that they like Vea over Payne.  Previously the thought was it was the reverse.

Multiple ties to Guice

Some ties to R. Jones

Doug talking about needing D line. Reporters saying they hear them saying the same

Running back played up hard as a need

Multiple references to trading down.

They might be looking LG relative early in the draft depending on FA

Guessing based on all of that the game plan might be something like this:

Take Fitzpatrick if he surprisingly falls

Maybe take Vea if he's there at 13.

Otherwise trade down if they could.  Take one of the players they like or grab Guice early depending on who is left. With the extra pick perhaps a third rounder combined with the first and 2nd, address LG, RB, DT. But if the BPA is from another position especially edge rusher or CB, they will play their cards that way.  If they are in love with Guice (don't know one way or another) there seems to be enough buzz out there that its feasible that he's gone by 20 or soon after. So in a trade down they might have their eye on him early.

All one big wild guess from me but that's my best shot at piecing everything together.

That's funny... i agree that there is a lot of smoke screen about the draft being tossed out by the team right now. They've been pushing the RB narrative so hard that I firmly believe that they will not pick one in the first 2 rounds unless a top guy unexpectedly drops to them. 

58 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

@Skinsinparadiseoutlined exactly why I don’t think he’ll be the pick... but I think it would be a nice display of foresight from the FO.  

With McPhee on a 1 year deal, Smith set to hit FA next offseason, and losing our 1 speed rusher in Galette... Landry’s a smart pick.  

More realistically, I could see a small trade back in the 1st, draft Landry, maybe move up in the 2nd for Chubb (if he’s there), and then maybe DL with the pick we acquire in the trade back.  Helps the D short and long term and adds that impact back we could really use.  

@oraphusI could see that happening, but rather because there won’t be a top pick available at our pick (as opposed to a smokescreen type of deal).  I see a chance they trade back from 13 and land Guice, a lesser chance they trade up in the 2nd, and a good chance they wait and take a chance on a back in the 4th. 

28 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My first thought has always been we will take the best Alabama defender on the board. I mean if Fitzpatrick is anywhere nearer dropping out the top ten you'd jump. I do think we will look to move back a few slots. Even if Vea is there, I think we move back. I'm staking Dallas as our trade down partner again.

Ive also seen the link to Davenport. I do think, following the McPhee signing, we need a speed guy on the edge. We do also need a dynamic DB to add to the mix.

First round I believe will be playmaker on defense, there just seems too many RBs on offer that allows us to wait. I do not like our spot in the second round though, we could do with being higher. Could see us moving around in the draft order some. 

My thing on Vea. Again tea leaves gossip.

A. One of the beat guys trying to recall who maybe it was Hoffman playing up post combine they like Vea.

B. Cooley going to the combine and doing a complete reversal from liking Payne to now Vea, seemed like he talked to some Redskins folks there

C. if true the guy who sat next to Tomusla on the plane said Tomsula gushed about Vea, was quiet about Payne.

D. Seems to be some buzz with some draft geeks that Vea goes before 13.  Keim said the same the other day.

If all of that is true.  Them being OK with Hankins not signing while still saying to the beat guys yeah we want D line badly -- then maybe its Vea if he lands at #13 and if he isn't there they trade down and look elsewhere.   Finlay and Hoffman who both claim to talk to their scouts on occasion both think they go D line in the first.   They have told the beat guys:  RB, LG, D line are major needs in the draft.  They've spoken openly about it, too.  And they apparently have mentioned multiple corners they like in Jackson and Fitzpatrick.  So unless something changes in FA that seems to be the narrative they are telegraphing.   And yeah Davenport now popping up twice.  

15 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadiseoutlined exactly why I don’t think he’ll be the pick... but I think it would be a nice display of foresight from the FO.  

With McPhee on a 1 year deal, Smith set to hit FA next offseason, and losing our 1 speed rusher in Galette... Landry’s a smart pick.  

More realistically, I could see a small trade back in the 1st, draft Landry, maybe move up in the 2nd for Chubb (if he’s there), and then maybe DL with the pick we acquire in the trade back.  Helps the D short and long term and adds that impact back we could really use.  

@oraphusI could see that happening, but rather because there won’t be a top pick available at our pick (as opposed to a smokescreen type of deal).  I see a chance they trade back from 13 and land Guice, a lesser chance they trade up in the 2nd, and a good chance they wait and take a chance on a back in the 4th. 

Yeah my best guess is they have specific guys in mind at #13 and if they are there they take them no matter what but they presume more likely they wont be there, then trade down.  And I can't recall a more telegraphed this is what we want -- need base draft.  Either that or they are good at throwing people off the scent.

Purely working with the players they've been connected to.  Maybe the idea is Vea or Fitzpatrick if they are there at 13.  Otherwise trade down and see if Davenport, J. Jackson are still there or grab Guice.  Then with the 2nd and third rounder they'd have at that point -- fill their top needs.

Guessing though based on the only tid bits out there.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

.  So unless something changes in FA that seems to be the narrative they are telegraphing. 

I know you are a lesser fan of his, but I'm still thinking we may swoop for Logan on the 'cheap' at some stage. We can also snag a vet safety as the market is dead on its arse right now. Damn even Breeland could wash back on a one year deal.

Vea to Miami seems to be something I've read somewhere. Not sure I see him here, I think we want a more 'dynamic' playmaker if that makes sense. 

36 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I agree.  to me the wild card is how much do they love any specific RB.  If they don't then I'd presume they just let things fall where they may likely in the 2nd round.

22 minutes ago, oraphus said:

That's funny... i agree that there is a lot of smoke screen about the draft being tossed out by the team right now. They've been pushing the RB narrative so hard that I firmly believe that they will not pick one in the first 2 rounds unless a top guy unexpectedly drops to them. 

Could be all smoke screen.  What makes me take Finlay specifically seriously on it was in 2016 I won an auction where I had a couple of hours to talk to Scot McCloughan.  What he told me I heard echoed by Finlay soon after.   And it mostly did play out.   I think its impossible to know what they are going to do.  I bet they don't even know what they are going to do -- you really can't know until it all unfolds.  But you can guess a mindset to the draft.  And Doug-Jay coupled with things the beat guys have said definitely paint some picture on that front. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah my best guess is they have specific guys in mind at #13 and if they are there they take them no matter what but they presume more likely they wont be there, then trade down.  And I can't recall a more telegraphed this is what we want -- need base draft.  Either that or they are good at throwing people off the scent.

Purely working with the players they've been connected to.  Maybe the idea is Vea or Fitzpatrick if they are there at 13.  Otherwise trade down and see if Davenport, J. Jackson are still there or grab Guice.  Then with the 2nd and third rounder they'd have at that point -- fill their top needs.

Guessing though based on the only tid bits out there.

Agree with all of that except Josh Jackson.  Seems like a deep draft for corners, so I’d rather not go there with our 1st.  I wouldn’t be mad about it because it gives us a better chance/insurance to move on from Norman next year, but it’s far from ideal, IMO.  

I am glad the FO sees the needs as we do.  Just hope they can make some progress there.  

I finally went to FanSpeak and stuck to my guns and didn't do any trade-downs that were offered to me and proposed some until I received one that I think is most likely (and I was underpaid for the pick, as a result, but that again is most realistic).

Round 1, Pick 13: Vita Vea, NT Washington

Vea was the only one on the board that made absolute sense without trading down. No one offered me a trade down in this scenario, so I stuck with what was a very close BPA that matched need. Using Matt Miller's draft board, Vea was the 2nd best player available behind CB Denzel Ward when I picked.

Round 3, Pick 4: Rashaad Penny, RB San Diego State

Here is the trade-down that I forced. When it was my pick at 2.12 the best players available were WRs, CBs, OTs and DL. Having gone DL in Round 1, and not having a high-end Guard or RB to squeeze in here (or an ILB for that matter) ... I forced a trade-down to a logical position. At the time of 2.12, the run on RBs had taken place in early R2 but Chubb, Penny and Kerryon Johnson were still available, but were ranked 15-30 spots down the board. So a trade down was what I felt was the best approach. I got back 3.4 and 3.34 with Houston. At 3.4 Penny was one of the Top-5 players on the board, and with Chubb and Johnson off the board, this was the best time to pull the trigger on the last guy from that 2nd tier.

Round 3, Pick 34: William Clapp, G/C LSU

Clapp had a down year in 2017 for LSU but was formidable in 2016. He has played both Center and Guard and would be a versatile fit on the interior OL. He likely wouldn't be asked to start Day 1, but would compete immediately for LG  ... or cement the C position and allow Roullier to slide to LG. Even if Kiandjiao wins the job at LG, Clapp would be a verstaile and developmental piece to have on the interior. Sean Welsh is another possible option here, but Matt Miller has him graded out as a 6th rounder basically, and while I've seen others have a 3-5th round grade on him, Clapp was the highest on the board. Frank Ragnow would also have been my priority choice here as he can also play G/C but he was gone in the early 3rd.

Round 4, Pick 9: Tavarus McFadden, CB FSU

I view McFadden (6'2, 200 lbs) as a high-ceiling player that can step in immediately as a slot corner/free safety but also develop as an outside CB long-term. This is a perfect fit for the round, too. McFadden would add another youthful piece of potential to the secondary while also providing some veratility at FS if Nicholson has injury issues. McFadden was also one of the top players on the board at the pick.

Round 5, Pick 5: Shaquem Griffin, S/LB UCF

Griffin very likely won't make it to this spot. He was the BPA at the pick. There were some other ILBs with upside that I would have been perfectly happy with taking in the 5th, but Griffin provides the immediate versatility vacated when we traded Cravens. Griffin can rush the passer, cover and chase guys down. He might not have an immediate role/impact, but he's a jackknife on defense and a great story to boot.

Round 5, Pick 26: Kentavius Street, DE NC State

Street wasn't BPA here, but BPA isn't necessarily a "thing" in the latter rounds. This is when you get players you like at positions of need if not met earlier. The Skns have met with Street officially and at 6'2 280 he likely has the ability to add weight in the NFL and be a rotational piece to back-up Ionidis and Allen at DE. Street wouldnt be asked to play immediately other than possibly as a rotational piece, similar to Ionidis coming in in 2016. Teammate Justin Jones was also available here, but many see him and BJ Hill as draft-risers and I just don't expect Jones to be there in the late 5th. Also, Jones is 6'2 312 ... bulkier and likely more of a 4-3 DT or even NT, which we're already addressing early with Vea. BTW, how good must that NC State DL have been with Chubb-Hill-Jones-Street?! Good lord.

Round 6, Pick 14: Dorian O'Daniel, ILB Clemson

Here's another one that lined up well. O'Daniel was the #2 player on the board, also a guy the Redskins have had an official visit with ... and he fits perfectly into the "Depth/Upside" category that ILB fits into here. Street would compete for a roster spot as a backup ILB, could find himself on the practice squad, but some have him graded as high as R2/3 ... so if he's there in R6 (where others have him penciled, so there's obviously high upside low floor here) ... the Redskins make a lot of sense.

Round 7, Pick 14: Will Richardosn, OT NC State

Skins won't keep Nsheke around forever and this is likely his last year. It wouldnt be a surprise if we target a project OT in the latter rounds to bring to camp to compete for a spot and see if they can stick or put them on the PS for a year to develop.

Round 7, Pick 23: Bryce Bobo, WR Colorado

Tall/Skinny wide receiver that the Redskins have met with and would be likely to target in the late rounds of the draft as a camp body/back-end depth.

UDFA Targets:

Edge Javon Rolland-Jones, Arkansas State: raw ut quick pass-rusher who had 43 career sacks but very raw for next level

WR Antonio Callaway, Florida: As of late I've seen him going in the 3rd-5th round range despite being "undraftable" by some. He's been compared to Antonio Brown, but many issues at Florida including not playing after being dismissed/suspended at the beginning of last year

TE Andrew Vollert, Weber State: Small-school TE prospect with some raw upside. Not very far off talent-wise from Dallas Goedert (small FCS mountain west region) ...

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I seriously doubt the Steelers with LeVeon Bell on franchise tag, will draft Guice in the 1st.  I mean, I know they don't want to give him a long term deal, but that's a lot of capital to the RB position.

That's one of the teams I expect to pull the trigger on RB on day 1 or day 2. They reached a bit for feel good and man of steel story James Conner last year, but considering he tore his ACL, then came down with cancer, beat cancer, then tore his ACL again this year, AND they don't want to pay Bell what he has earned means they'll probably let him go in '19, which means their '19 starting RB is either a recovering Conner or nothing.

So yes, I definitely think they either draft a RB, trade for one, or sign one in FA next year, maybe Tevin Coleman (the '15 class has quite a few quality RB's and will be the FA class in '19). 

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I know you are a lesser fan of his, but I'm still thinking we may swoop for Logan on the 'cheap' at some stage. We can also snag a vet safety as the market is dead on its arse right now. Damn even Breeland could wash back on a one year deal.

Vea to Miami seems to be something I've read somewhere. Not sure I see him here, I think we want a more 'dynamic' playmaker if that makes sense. 

I am back and forth on Logan, I guess I'd be ok with Logan just not as jazzed about it.   As discussed a lot on the FA thread, if they sign a DT I think that more than anything opens up this draft.  DT and RB is so glaring that its clear they have to do something about both positions.  And at this point they only have two high draft picks. 

So I don't like them being forced into the first two rounds to fill two glaring needs -- talk about being boxed in.  Doing something in FA for either position really opens things up and for me I'd prefer DT addressed in FA.  If DT ends up being BPA in the draft, that's fine too then double up at the spot.  But I am convinced right now BPA is more likely a guy in the secondary -- Ward, Fitzpatrick, James. I think one of them falls.   I'd want them to take whichever guy falls without flinching if so.  I am cool with trading down, too.   But if its Fitzpatrick in particular I am running up to that podium. 

So my scenario above is what I'm starting to think is the most likely one out there. I think when our turn comes at #13, either Minkah Fitzpatrick or Vita Vea will be there. It will be very hard for us to pass on either of those players. IF someone like Seattle offers us #18 and a 3rd to come up and take a Safety, I could see us biting ... but it risks us losing Vea to San Diego at #17. So if we are dead-set on addressing DL we likely stick at #13. Now if Vea is gone, and Fitz is there, maybe we do the trade-down and opt for Payne there at 18.

Anyway, I digress. I do think that when we pick at 2.12 unless a Michel/Guice/Jones falls to us ... or a Hernandez/Wynn/Price for that matter ... I could see us trading back and trying to get a 3rd back and put ourselves in a better position to address RB as a BPA.

So picking #13 and then late 2nd and adding a 3rd or getting 3rd/3rd for our 2nd .. is more liely to me than trading back in the 1st and geting picks. Just my $0.02

7 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

So yes, I definitely think they either draft a RB, trade for one, or sign one in FA next year, maybe Tevin Coleman (the '15 class has quite a few quality RB's and will be the FA class in '19). 

I could see them drafting Guice and then trading Bell post-draft

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

I can't see Guice falling as far as they need him to fall. Too many teams either desperately need RB's, or like Baltimore/Seattle could use one because none of the ones they have are locked in bell cows. 

My hope is that we're doing our homework and he's identified as our top choice and our hope is that he either falls to our pick at 2.12 or far enough into the 2nd for us to trade-up and get him.

My FEAR is that the team is considering positioning itself to trade back into the 1st round to draft him. And from 2.12, that is going to cost us our 1st rounder next year. And boy, while it would be fun to come away with Guice and Vea .. I hate the idea of parting with future picks, especially 1sts.

Archived