Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not moving up for a guard. I'd love him at 13, but not for 2 picks.

Just saying they are only two with the value to move up for imo. I wouldn't move up for anyone else (As in there is no one else in this draft the Redskins should pick ahead of them if they are there when we pick). People are suggesting moving up for one of the two LBs or 2 Defensive back - I wouldn't. (And certainly would pick Nelson or Barkley over any of those four).

Presuming Nelson, Chubb and Barkley are long gone in reality before 9/10, Minkah, James and Ro Smith are the only ones I'm moving up for. Immediate, Week 1 starters/ difference makers who make the whole D better. 

Don't see any of them making it to 13. 

Hail. 

*Edit* But I'm still calling Cleveland if they take Chubb at 4 and seeing what they want for Ogbah/ if he was then surplus to requirements. 

3 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Presuming Nelson, Chubb and Barkley are long gone in reality before 9/10, Minkah, James and Ro Smith are the only ones I'm moving up for. Immediate, Week 1 starters/ difference makers who make the whole D better. 

Hail. 

*Edit* But I'm still calling Cleveland if they take Chubb at 4 and seeing what they want for Ogbah/ if he was then surplus to requirements. 

However as always I'd prefer to trade down for future high picks. Would love to have more than one 1st rounder in 2019. 

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

However as always I'd prefer to trade down for future high picks. Would love to have more than one 1st rounder in 2019. 

Have to hope say Jackson is still there at 13 to have the QB bargaining chip for that. Buffalo's definitely gonna' move up. They haven't positioned themselves at 12 with ammo to just sit. So that's Cleveland at 1, the Jets at 3, Denver at 5 and Buffalo at least more than likely taking 4 QB's the top 10 so unless Arizona makes a move there's a good chance one QB drops to 13 to hasten the chances of a decent value trade back. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Do you have any concerns about Ro Smith being better suited to WLB in a 4:3?  Is he a good fit for the current scheme?  

14 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Do you have any concerns about Ro Smith being better suited to WLB in a 4:3?  Is he a good fit for the current scheme?  

With being a little undersized? That will probably put some teams off and drop him. But I personally think he's that good you could play him in any LB slot in any scheme. I mean he was mainly the WILL in Georgia's 34. And that would probably be his best position in either a 34/43 the pro's. But I'd comfortably slot him in anywhere with his speed and ability to diagnose plays. Just get him on the field Day 1. 

I think you're looking at a ten year stud in him. 

Different position, but reading a lot on Vea in particular. I wouldn't personally take a NT in the first given the real quality depth in this class the 1-tech's. Under-tackle is a different scenario. That is thin on the ground. But right through round 2 to 3 (I know, we lack a third as I type), there's quality starting NT depth. And you're not dropping off significantly from a Vea or a Payne. 

Hail. 

I agree with GHH. Smith will be a stud for the next decade. A player who anchors your D and you build around. We'd be lucky to get him and we might.

Van Der Esch looks to be legit to if we drop back. It's a good draft to grab an interior Dlineman in the earlier rounds, unless they want to develop someone behind Allen and Iaon, but our line is pretty full.

Few things from Cooley today.

He said he heard the FO likes Payne, too.  So I guess now its Vea and Payne they like at NT.  Cooley thinks Vea is noticeably better both as a run stopper and pushing the pocket.  Cooley's take is Payne is a late first rounder talent wise.  Cooley also apparently has a man crush on I. Wynn at LG, said he'd take him in a heartbeat if he falls to the 2nd.  He didn't get into Fitzpatrick and D. James much specifically but goes on about how in today's NFL guys like them are critical because of the growing trend of TEs and RBs being mismatches in the passing game. His thought in short is getting guys like that are game changers because of how much flexibility it gives defenses.  Nothing there that's rocket science but I agree with his point. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Few things from Cooley today.

He said he heard the FO likes Payne, too.  So I guess now its Vea and Payne they like at NT.  Cooley thinks Vea is noticeably better both as a run stopper and pushing the pocket.  Cooley's take is Payne is a late first rounder talent wise.  Cooley also apparently has a man crush on I. Wynn at LG, said he'd take him in a heartbeat if he falls to the 2nd.  He didn't get into Fitzpatrick and D. James much specifically but goes on about how in today's NFL guys like them are critical because of the growing trend of TEs and RBs being mismatches in the passing game. His thought in short is getting guys like that are game changers because of how much flexibility it gives defenses.  Nothing there that's rocket science but I agree with his point. 

I'd say we could trade down if Vea is picked before our pick at #13, add the extra pick or picks and go after Payne if he's still there later in the 1st.  Go RB with our 2nd and then OG with our other 2nd or 3rd round acquired in the trade.  Just a thought. :) 

10 picks from last year's draft, all still on the roster.

And as it stands now, we draft 8 more this year.

Numbers game means someone from last year's draft probably gets cut this summer.

Some of them are locks to make the team, but which player from the 2017 draft is in most danger of being cut this year ?

Perhaps they go to PS instead.

6 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I've gotten to the point where I'm basically: 

1. Fitzpatrick

2.D. James

3. R. Smith

4. V. Vea

5. Guide or Trade down (I'd trade down)

I'm also all for trading up for a RB unless I'm positive one of Penny/Chubb is there at 44. 

I would love to jump from #44 as well. Clevland at #35 is the spot. Offer up our #44 plus a 2019 pick. 

If Vea, James and Fitz are gone at 13 I’d love to move back. I’m wondering if Giants trade Odell for the Rams 1st and 2nd If they’d want to move up for a WR. 

If if we are gonna try and make the biggest impact on the roster overall, going to 2.1 and 2.3 would be massive. Could basically guarantee you get a starter type at Guard/RB/DT. Your DT might not be a blue chipper but you’d get the top end talent at Guard and rb

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Vea, James and Fitz are gone at 13 I’d love to move back. I’m wondering if Giants trade Odell for the Rams 1st and 2nd If they’d want to move up for a WR. 

If if we are gonna try and make the biggest impact on the roster overall, going to 2.1 and 2.3 would be massive. Could basically guarantee you get a starter type at Guard/RB/DT. Your DT might not be a blue chipper but you’d get the top end talent at Guard and rb

As excited as I would be to get Vea or Payne... I agree with you.  Our D-line was lookin stout til Allen and Fosters went down, and Ioan got winged.  I still think we could use some help there, but a starting LG and 3 down RB could completely change the TEAM...  Something also tells me Hurst is going to fall.  He's been cleared but the threat of a guy not being physically able to play for more than MAYBE a couple years might scare some people.  

@OVCChairman too many teams in the 20’s could use interior DL help so I have a hard time seeing him falling too far. I did a 2 round mock with trades and there was a big run on DL there. The position that fell was CB actually. Big guard run in the 20s too. 

But anyway. I think if you add Vea your front 7 is elite. Defense could just be dominant up front if healthy. Not sure the same can be said about anyone else at this point. So would be hard to pass on him. But I actually think he could go to Miami at 11. 

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@OVCChairman too many teams in the 20’s could use interior DL help so I have a hard time seeing him falling too far. I did a 2 round mock with trades and there was a big run on DL there. The position that fell was CB actually. Big guard run in the 20s too. 

But anyway. I think if you add Vea your front 7 is elite. Defense could just be dominant up front if healthy. Not sure the same can be said about anyone else at this point. So would be hard to pass on him. But I actually think he could go to Miami at 11. 

If Nelson falls or we go get him, we quickly start flirting with 'elite' status on the O-line....

When one of those QBs falls... I could also see someone jump up to 11 and trade with Miami, vaulting ahead of Buffalo (if they don't move up before then) and Arizona to try to get a QB.  If that happens, Vea likely (and i think he'll be there no matter what) will be there at 13.  Too many sexy difference makers in the top 15, and a run at QB is going to seriously shake things up in the top 10.  Tons of talent at the top of this draft, and there's usually a 'surprise' or two.  I could see it being Ridley this year.... I could see someone go up and get him, or take him higher than expected...  There are so many scenarios I could see happening that I honestly have no idea what's gonna happen lol.  

My sleeper for top 10 pick to throw it all off is Cleveland either taking Edmunds at 4 or trading back into the top 10 to take him. 

Cleveland has 3 big needs: QB, LT, OLB. 

IF Buffalo gives them 12 and 23 and let’s say 53 ... I could see them using 12 in McGlinchey or Williams and using 23 and 2 of their (then) 4 second rounders to get back up to 7-9 to take Edmunds. 

Per the trade chart, 23 and 35 and a 3rd would get them to 9. If EDMUNDS is still free I could see SF trading back into an area where WR is better value. And recouping their 2nd from the Garopolo trade ... then Cleveland takes Edmunds at 9 

or Cleveland could take him at 4. But that might be a hard sell to their fans if Barkley is still there. But trading out then back in would make sense too. 

Cominf away with Darnold, Edmunds and McGlinchey PLUS keeping 33, 53 and 64 to get more talent. Would be a big win for Cleveland 

34 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

If Nelson falls or we go get him, we quickly start flirting with 'elite' status on the O-line....

When one of those QBs falls... I could also see someone jump up to 11 and trade with Miami, vaulting ahead of Buffalo (if they don't move up before then) and Arizona to try to get a QB.  If that happens, Vea likely (and i think he'll be there no matter what) will be there at 13.  Too many sexy difference makers in the top 15, and a run at QB is going to seriously shake things up in the top 10.  Tons of talent at the top of this draft, and there's usually a 'surprise' or two.  I could see it being Ridley this year.... I could see someone go up and get him, or take him higher than expected...  There are so many scenarios I could see happening that I honestly have no idea what's gonna happen lol.  

I don't think OG is a target regardless of how elite he could be

5 minutes ago, CutPryorNow said:

I don't think OG is a target regardless of how elite he could be

If Nelson falls (he won’t) we will scoop him in a heartbeat. 

I think a Frank Ragnow or Will clapp type would be more likely in the 3rd (if we acquire one) or 4th ... guys that can play both Guard and Center like Roullier. The Skins think roullier can play Lg or OC. Getting another guy to compete and push him to his best spot makes the most sense. 

Billy Price or James Daniels are the guys who would be in the late first to mid second range that could provide similar offerings. 

But if Nelson is there at 13 it’s hard to pass up 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading Keim's article today. He more or less is making an educated guess that the Rb board is: 1. Barkley 2. Guice. 3. Chubb

If they trade down Guice might be in play.

At 13:  Vea, Fitzpatrick, James if they are available

Saw that SIP. :)  My hope is Vea at #13, trade down for more picks if Vea is gone.  IF they don't trade down for picks then draft Guice at #13.

27 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Saw that SIP. :)  My hope is Vea at #13, trade down for more picks if Vea is gone.  IF they don't trade down for picks then draft Guice at #13.

No way I want an RB not named barkely at 13, too early... Pretty sure they are targeting RB in second round not first unless they trade down.

Archived