Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I could also see the team liking Harold Landry. We are missing a pure rush OLB/DE, unless we take a development project on day 3.

The best pure pass rusher (and guy who replicates what Galette did for us last season) that'll be available on Day 3 is...Shaquem Griffin.  I know, I know, he's missing a hand.  But the guy is a legitimate speed rusher.  UCF's pass rush is (imo) why a CB like Mike Hughes is being talked about as high as he is.  The pass rush covered for mistakes or separation Hughes gave up.

So...do you spend a draft pick on someone with only 1 hand?

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The best pure pass rusher (and guy who replicates what Galette did for us last season) that'll be available on Day 3 is...Shaquem Griffin.  I know, I know, he's missing a hand.  But the guy is a legitimate speed rusher.  UCF's pass rush is (imo) why a CB like Mike Hughes is being talked about as high as he is.  The pass rush covered for mistakes or separation Hughes gave up.

So...do you spend a draft pick on someone with only 1 hand?

Legit 2nd Rnd talent. HELL of a football player. Couldn't think of ANY better player the whole draft to have in my locker room. But that's the key isn't it? Where do you take a sub-package/ nickel guy that will be a teams beast for value?

Early day 3 I agree on the value/ use factor but after being the story of the combine and then some, I can see someone falling in love with him (how could you possibly not?), and take him the third. 

Hail. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Very Interesting article on Maurice Hurst from Pro Football Focus who I consider to be one of the more reliable sources. Far superior to Kiper and McShay IMO as they give you specific reasons and stats why a player is what he is. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-maurice-hursts-pff-grading-suggests-hes-a-special-nfl-prospect

I'll take your views over Kipper and McShay bud. And I don't even know ya'! :ols:

Thanks for that. I shall read it later. Top 3-tech in the draft IMHO and it's not even close. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Not disagreeing with the general point but as we're in the East and could quite possibly be facing 2 studs 4 times a year in Zeke and Barkley, along with Ajayi from the other mob, having the line and LB's to stand up to that run threat the next decade or so will go a LONG way to any hopes of coming out on top in the division. 

Hail. 

Then that's all the more reason to get a big dude like Vea in there.  If the guy can move, coach him up.

39 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Then that's all the more reason to get a big dude like Vea in there.  If the guy can move, coach him up.

And this is my issue. I am not trying to take a guy at 13 that needs to be coached up. And it is the reason I have a 2nd round grade on Vea. He cant pass rush. If he loses on his bull rush he is done. He also struggled against the better competition in College Football.

3 hours ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Very Interesting article on Maurice Hurst from Pro Football Focus who I consider to be one of the more reliable sources. Far superior to Kiper and McShay IMO as they give you specific reasons and stats why a player is what he is. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-maurice-hursts-pff-grading-suggests-hes-a-special-nfl-prospect

Hurst has gotten some good play on this thread.  PFF loves him as you say -- with their metrics he does it all, beast against the run and also brings pressure.  PFF also seems to love Derwin James.  And Landry to them is a top 10 pick -- they think he has all the makings of a stud pass rusher.  Not that PFF hasn't been wrong but I recall they thought higher of Carl Lawson than most -- the Bengals took him in the 4th and he looks like a stud.

10 hours ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

The frustrating part of doing the mock every year. 

SO many prospects I want to talk about. SO much I want to add to what's already being talked about. But you never want to tip your hand so the vast majority of my time here until just before the actual draft is as a frustrated reader. In my favourite thread the Stadium every year. Sighs. 

Hail. 

I have this same thought every year... feels like the mock dries up the conversation.  Especially sucks because more people get invested and research, but as you said, don’t want to spill anything.  OTOH, once you guys get rolling it seems to opens up a bit and leads to more discussion (and bickering, lol).  

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hurst has gotten some good play on this thread.  PFF loves him as you say -- with their metrics he does it all, beast against the run and also brings pressure.  PFF also seems to love Derwin James.  And Landry to them is a top 10 pick -- they think he has all the makings of a stud pass rusher.  Not that PFF hasn't been wrong but I recall they thought higher of Carl Lawson than most -- the Bengals took him in the 4th and he looks like a stud.

I love reading PFF articles. I'm not saying they are always right. If that were the case, they'd all be scouts. However, I do think sometimes NFL scouts and coaches fall in love with a player's character or only look at the positive tape and try to use their imagination on how they'd fit in their own scheme. PFF is just pure tape study. In years past, I've noted particularly when they are higher on certain players than the general census. I recall them being particularly high on Aaron Donald coming out of the draft and they still are as he is their #1 player. 

This year players who are ranked much higher than other outlets are:

1. Maurice Hurst

2. Baker Mayfield

3.Derwin James

4. Harold Landry

5. Josh Jackson

They are lower than most on:

1.Bradley Chubb

2. Josh Allen

3. Da'Ron Payne

4.Derrius Guice

5. Denzel Ward

Here's the article. Now this is rather old and not sure if this is pre-combine but they don't pay any attention to the combine anyway. This is purely game tape. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-board-top-100-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

I'm still shocked how high they have Hurst compared to many other rankings I've seen.

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't want to make to many comments here because of the mock draft. Don't want to tip my hand to much but Hurst it a beast. He is my first DT, top 10 player. This is one of does guys where people 4 years from now ask about...how did he last that long in the draft?! 

Only concern which has been ok'd by doctors is his heart condition.  He only weights 282 and we need a fella closer to 320 or better to play the NT position so those are my concerns.

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Hill would be a nice choice but had him more in the 3rd, but I'd take him, SIP.  Did you get a chance to look at the tape on Settle and Hill yet.  If so, let me know your thought on them. 

I looked at Hill some not Settle yet. Hill got my attention when they were hyping him the other day on a draft show as an underrated steal.  Then I looked at his measurables.  Settle for example is a typical slow slow nose.  Hill running under a 5.0 is relatively athletic.  He is also a leader type, team captain.  Showed well in the senior bowl and the combine.  B. Chubb ironically touted him ad the lynchpin of their defense.

This is just one draft geeks opinion but interesting

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-evaluating-and-grading-a-polarizing-defensive-line-class/

Leverage/Pad Level

B.J. Hill – Hill is almost 6-4, but he plays with tremendous pad level the vast majority of the time, showing terrific flexibility in his lower half that his Combine testing only enforced. There were a couple times against Notre Dame that Hill allowed his pad level to swell a bit, but by and large he controlled the point of attack even against doubles because he understood and executed low man principles.

Harrison Phillips – Phillips generally plays with good posture off the snap and can use that leverage to win 1v1 exchanges at the line of scrimmage. When he wins, it’s typically because his hands and pad level are on point.

Da’Ron Payne – To me, Payne’s evaluation turns slightly south here. I think he’s consistently high off the snap and doesn’t take advantage of his strong first step off the ball. He was able to get away with it at times, but against better competition (except vs Georgia) Payne got blown up quite a bit, and snap-to-snap consistency is really lacking with him because his technique and pad level isn’t the strongest.

Tim Settle – Settle’s pad level is average most of the time, but he gets hung up on contact constantly and is often off-balance as  result. Settle spends more time on the ground than any other defensive lineman on this list, in large part because his ability to leverage and control the point of attack is often not taken advantage of.

Maurice Hurst – Hurst isn’t the biggest defensive tackle, but it almost never matters because he’s terrific at dropping his pads and playing low into contact. This allows him to blast through gaps as an upfield, disruptive presence that rarely gets hung up on contact, or to hold the point of attack and anchor off a blocker in his gap with equal propensity.

Vita Vea – Vea plays high at times, and if you watch his tape closely, you’ll see a lot of examples of his lack of technique being taken advantage of as defenders leverage him off the snap and get him balanced on one leg. The problem is that it barely even matters for Vea because he’s so big and so strong, although in the NFL it’ll be something he needs to improve on.

Interior Defensive Line Positional Rankings and Grades

Keeping these traits in mind, here are my interior defensive line rankings for the 2018 NFL Draft, based on the players I’ve watched so far:

*I’m hoping to get to 1-2 more games of Senat and hopefully some more Shepherd tape before the draft rolls around.

1. Maurice Hurst, Michigan – Early Round 1

2. Vita Vea, Washington – Early Day 2

3. Taven Bryan, Florida – Early Day 2

4. Derrick Nnadi, Florida State – Early-Mid Day 2

5. B.J. Hill, N.C. State – Early-Mid Day 2

6. Da’Ron Payne, Alabama – Mid Day 2

7. Deadrin Senat, USF – Mid Day 2

8. Trenton Thompson, Georgia – Late Day 2

9. Nathan Shepherd, Fort Hays State – Late Day 2

10. R.J. McIntosh, Miami – Early Day 3

11. Justin Jones, N.C. State – Early Day 3

12. Kendrick Norton, Miami – Early-Mid Day 3

13. Harrison Phillips, Stanford – Early-Mid Day 3

14. Andrew Brown, Virginia – Mid Day 3

15. Tim Settle, Virginia Tech – Mid-Late Day 3

24 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I don't want to make to many comments here because of the mock draft. Don't want to tip my hand to much but Hurst it a beast. He is my first DT, top 10 player. This is one of does guys where people 4 years from now ask about...how did he last that long in the draft?! 

Depends whether you want a 1-tech or an under-tackle as to how you'd stack them I guess but definitely the best 3-tech the class without question. 

Hail. 

I know some of you guys dont like Settle too much. But that kid is an athletic freak. He is going to need a ton of coaching and is not ready to to be an every down player yet. But he is some of the best clay in this draft. And we have a great teacher to mold him. A LOT of mocks have him falling into the 4th for just this reason. And I would ecstatic to get him there.

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I know some of you guys dont like Settle too much. But that kid is an athletic freak. He is going to need a ton of coaching and is not ready to to be an every down player yet. But he is some of the best clay in this draft. And we have a great teacher to mold him. A LOT of mocks have him falling into the 4th for just this reason. And I would ecstatic to get him there.

Well if he's there in the 4th, hell yeah. I just get concerned about waiting on a guy like that and hoping he's there in the 4th. Fortunately other guys like BJ Hill or Kendrick Norton could be there as well as back-up plans. Main concern with waiting until the 4th to address DL is you're not guaranteed anything

Thinking out loud here ... based on our past experience with Bruce Allen drafts, I would expect to see a few of these play out ...

- 4th-5th round OG

- 5th-7th round DB

- 5th-6th round receiving TE

- 2nd-4th round edge-rusher

We have recent success of hitting on our mid-round picks ... and also trading for more of them. So I wouldn't be surprised if we traded back at some point to accumulate another 4th or 5th. Only problem is, our 2nd rounder, which would be a prime spot to use to trade back and get a 4th or 5th ... would likely play us out of the 2nd tier of RBs. I guess it depends on the flwo of the draft. If we get up at 44 and Chubb, Penny and Johnson are still available, maybe we slide back 8-10 spots and get an extra mid-rounder. But that all depends on draft flow.

Josh Doctson was drafted to be our 3rd WR (didn't pan out obviously that year) and provide young depth, but was mainly insurance for losing Garcon and Jackson who were on their last year of their deals.

Ryan Anderson was drafted last year to bolster the pass-rushing depth since we had unknwns in Galette, Murphy and Smith. Fortunately Smith and Galette made Anderson less of a necessity out of the gate, but the reality is he was drafted to be our #2 pass-rusher in the event we lost Preston Smith.

Fabian Moreau was drafted in the 3rd last year because he provided great upside, but was brought in with the expectation that he'd likely take over for Breeland who was entering the final year of his deal and unlikely to return. I'm sure we didn't expect to lose Fuller either.

So using those examples and looking at our current roster, I'm curious to see who we might add that would provide depth but not necessarily be asked to be an instant starter. ALSO, who are some players going into this draft who are injured, causing their draft stock to fall. Guys that could go 1st-2nd but fall to the 3rd-4th because of injuries. Guys that won't be asked to play much in 2018 but will be turned to in 2019 and beyond?

I think this roster is more complete now than it has been in the past, so the examples of Doctson/Anderson/Moreau may not play out this year, but still an interesting point to raise.

I think the biggest concerns/holes are OG with Scherff coming up on a new deal, and possibly Edge with Smith also due some $$. I think the team is fully expecting to bring back both on long term deals, but as they say, you can never have too many pass rushers, and we DO need a LG.

Other sleepers are CB (mainly due to Norman being owed so much and some question marks for depth). I could see another 4th or 5th rounder with upside.

Tackle is the one position I think we could do this with ... BUT since you only start 2 and we already have our depth/swing OT in Nsheke ... we may pass. Plus, I feel like Tackle is one of the positions that you draft when its a need, rather than drafting a guy to groom since the depth only comes into play if there are injuries. BUT, I could see the Skins drafting a versatile Tackle to flip to LG in the short term but provide instant depth and versatility.

Tight-End is another one, but since that's not a premier position, I could see us waiting on that although it is a position that takes time for development. I think we got that in Sprinkle last year, and looking for a TE3 to replace Vernon Davis next year probably isn't a priority, unless the team is leaning heavily toward cutting Reed next year ... problem with that, though, is you won't want to carry 4 TE, so if you plan to draft a high-upside guy in the 4th or 5th rounds, you are likely going to do it at the expense of moving on from Davis or Reed.

Word vomit there. Got a lot to say today apparently.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I looked at Hill some not Settle yet. Hill got my attention when they were hyping him the other day on a draft show as an underrated steal.  Then I looked at his measurables.  Settle for example is a typical slow slow nose.  Hill running under a 5.0 is relatively athletic.  He is also a leader type, team captain.  Showed well in the senior bowl and the combine.  B. Chubb ironically touted him ad the lynchpin of their defense.

SIP, you have to watch Settle.  This guy has him WAY to low on his board.  It's all in the eye of the person who watches tape but you tell me what you think when you see Settle.  I think you will be amazed!  Seriously.  :) 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interior Defensive Line Positional Rankings and Grades

Keeping these traits in mind, here are my interior defensive line rankings for the 2018 NFL Draft, based on the players I’ve watched so far:

*I’m hoping to get to 1-2 more games of Senat and hopefully some more Shepherd tape before the draft rolls around.

1. Maurice Hurst, Michigan – Early Round 1

I agree with Ledyard here.  I have Hurst ranked #1 among interior DL.  I would love to sign Hankins, then draft Hurst round 1.  Our DL would be nasty... almost on par with the Eagles and Vikings DL, with more depth than the Rams DL (though not as good at the top).

Archived