Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I wonder how the new "lowering the head" rule will affect Guice's draft stock.  It's definitely something to consider.  

The one from last year, or was there one I missed for this year?  Can’t recall it ever being flagged... though that’s not saying much.  

Not counting on this but at least judging by recent mocks and stuff like this --  Fitzpatrick while still unlikely to be there at 13, doesn't feel like a pipe dream either.  For me he's slam dunk if we are lucky enough if he lands at 13.  To me just as slam dunk as Allen was last year.  Not counting on it but wow if that happened I'd love it.

Last few days of talking to people and hearing Minkah Fitzpatrick is going too early in these media mock drafts, and Harold Landry is going too late.

Some of Josh Norris picks in the mock he just put out.  While I like Guice if they pass up Fitzpatrick for him like happens in his mock, I'd go nuts. :)

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Josh Norris

Notable picks: (TRADE) 4. Buffalo Bills - QB Josh Rosen, UCLA 13. Washington Redskins - RB Derrius Guice, LSU 15. Arizona Cardinals - CB/S Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama No Lamar Jackson in first

1 minute ago, tmandoug1 said:

Sooooo, can someone with knowledge answer this....... what would we have to give up to trade up to 8 (Bears) to get Nelson? I realize this is not a fan favorite, but I'm curious. 

I think everyone here loves Nelson but he seems like an unrealistic get so not a ton of focus on him of late.  To trade up to 8, I'd presume its a mid 2nd, worst case an early third?  I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

The one from last year, or was there one I missed for this year?  Can’t recall it ever being flagged... though that’s not saying much.  

The rule was just passed a couple days ago... a lot of players are pissed off about it (including our own DJ Swearinger).

New rule: 15-yard penalty for lowering head to initiate, make contact with helmet

What it means: For the moment, the biggest takeaway is mass confusion and angst. An unexpected, hurried and partial rollout has left many unanswered questions about a rule that McKay said was intended to change behavior of players at all levels of football. Here's what we know: It is now a foul when a player lowers his head to "initiate and make contact" with his helmet against an opponent. It will cost 15 yards and could -- as with the NCAA's targeting rule -- lead to ejection. What remains to be decided by the NFL's May 21-23 meetings: Would ejections be mandatory, or based on severity of the hit? Would those ejections be subject to replay? And how strictly will officials enforce the rule? Players lower their heads to initiate contact, with varying levels of contact, all the time. Stay tuned.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/272769/guide-to-nfls-new-rules-what-to-know-about-approved-tabled-and-rejected-proposals

Gotcha.  They passed the one (think it was last year) about backs, but it was dependent on whether they were inside the tackle box I believe.  

It’s admirable to want to make things safer, but man...backs can’t run dive plays anymore or what?  Gonna cause some confusion and the subjectivity isn’t going to help.  Guess we’ll see.  

21 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

It’s admirable to want to make things safer, but man...

There's no way to make a naturally violent game perfectly safe.  The sooner we accept that, the more likely Football will stick around.

I'm hoping they call the leading helmet in regards to when they believe a player is trying to injure another with their helmet.

Chuckled a few times reading this article:

Draft season is here! The clichés you must know to survive the next 3 months

• Gritty – Dad was a coach, likely sneaky athletic (see below), first one in, last one out, blue-collar, strong work ethic, dedicated to his craft, constant hustler. Was picked last in the Turkey Bowl at age eight and has been inspired ever since. True chip on the shoulder. Usually a college walk-on with no DI offers. If he’s a receiver, makes his living over the middle of the field getting relentlessly drilled by safeties, but never staying down longer than 3-5 seconds. Typically a below average athlete without great physical tools.
  • Alligator arms – Prospect that is too much of a b***h to go across the middle and take a shot while holding onto the ball, instead refusing to extend his arms and reel in a pass outside his frame with contact pending. See ‘grit’ above for the antonym of “alligator arms”.
  • “The kid from (fill in name of university here)” – A way of describing a specific player used by scouts all over the NFL who want to appear too busy and important to have time to remember anyone’s actual name, despite the fact that their job security, career and lifestyle is solely based on knowing every ancillary detail about that player’s life.
  • Locker room or high character guy – The type of player you’d be cool with speaking at your son’s high school graduation or letting date your daughter. I’m sorry, did you ask what does that have to do with football? Shut up, please.
  • "Just a football player” – A prospect who would literally sacrifice the life of a family member to keep playing this sport.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some of Josh Norris picks in the mock he just put out.  While I like Guice if they pass up Fitzpatrick for him like happens in his mock, I'd go nuts. :)

In a roundabout way, with him sat a mere 4 picks from the Redskins, it's happened in ours!

Fume away Sir haha! 

Hail. 

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The rule was just passed a couple days ago... a lot of players are pissed off about it (including our own DJ Swearinger).

New rule: 15-yard penalty for lowering head to initiate, make contact with helmet

What it means: For the moment, the biggest takeaway is mass confusion and angst. An unexpected, hurried and partial rollout has left many unanswered questions about a rule that McKay said was intended to change behavior of players at all levels of football. Here's what we know: It is now a foul when a player lowers his head to "initiate and make contact" with his helmet against an opponent. It will cost 15 yards and could -- as with the NCAA's targeting rule -- lead to ejection. What remains to be decided by the NFL's May 21-23 meetings: Would ejections be mandatory, or based on severity of the hit? Would those ejections be subject to replay? And how strictly will officials enforce the rule? Players lower their heads to initiate contact, with varying levels of contact, all the time. Stay tuned.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/272769/guide-to-nfls-new-rules-what-to-know-about-approved-tabled-and-rejected-proposals

This makes me want K. Johnson even more because of his Leveon Bell style running

Using that earlier chart ... Skins have 2019 comp picks lined up for 3, 5, 6, 7 ... and I would suspect that stays close given Breeland still has to sign somewhere. As others sign, we might lose that 7th, but we'll see.

So for 2019, we'll have:

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7 - 11 picks

If we don't trade down in 1 or 2, I could see us trading our 3rd or 5th next year to move up if we have to, knowing that we'll be getting comp picks in those rounds. Granted 3rd round comp pick isn't the same as a 3rd rounder (probably 10-15 picks below for that Cousins one) but nonetheless, it does put that opportunity in play.

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Using that earlier chart ... Skins have 2019 comp picks lined up for 3, 5, 6, 7 ... and I would suspect that stays close given Breeland still has to sign somewhere. As others sign, we might lose that 7th, but we'll see.

So for 2019, we'll have:

1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7 - 11 picks

If we don't trade down in 1 or 2, I could see us trading our 3rd or 5th next year to move up if we have to, knowing that we'll be getting comp picks in those rounds. Granted 3rd round comp pick isn't the same as a 3rd rounder (probably 10-15 picks below for that Cousins one) but nonetheless, it does put that opportunity in play.

Agreed. Would be happy to send next year's third if it meant moving up a few spots this year to draft either one of the top LB's (Edmunds or Smith) or Safety's (Fitzpatrick or James). Although, recent chatter has indicated that we might actually be able to snag one of those 4 without even moving from 13. 

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Josh Norris

Notable picks: (TRADE) 4. Buffalo Bills - QB Josh Rosen, UCLA 13. Washington Redskins - RB Derrius Guice, LSU 15. Arizona Cardinals - CB/S Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama No Lamar Jackson in first

I dont pretend to know every college kid but I hope they dont reach for Guice at 13. Combine was not particularly impressive:

5th in the 40

16th in bench press

23rd in vertical

didnt see him participate in any other drills. 

http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker#day=friday

Chubb and Scarborough had top end combine results and would be available in the 2nd (maybe not chubb).

With Doug Williams comments essentially that they will address the RB position in the draft in a big way .. scares me. He also talked about all the mock drafts.

At 13, a top end player should fall to us. If that happens and we still take Guice .... hope they know what they are doing.  Anotehr example of the team not long term planning and reaching/forcing things for short term needs. 

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Fitz drops to us and we pass, I'll flip my ****.

If he drops out of the top 5/6 and we aren't on the 'phone seeing what it takes to move up I'll lead the march on Allen's office myself. 

If he drops further to within touching distance at say 9, and we aren't moving up, I'm burning the whole lot down! 

Hail. 

Just now, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If he drops out of the top 5/6 and we aren't on the 'phone seeing what it takes to move up I'll lead the march on Allen's office myself. 

If he drops further to within touching distance at say 9, and we aren't moving up, I'm burning the whole lot down! 

Hail. 

I'm fine not moving up, because we need the picks and most likely it means one or both of the stud ILBs are there for us.

I always expect to see skill position players move up on draft day. At 13 we could have a shot at Nelson, Edumunds, Smith, James, etc. 

If we don't land one of them, I'm hoping a move back and still have a shot at either the DTs or RBs we like.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Fitz drops to us and we pass, I'll flip my ****.

Depends who we take. If we take say Roquon Smith or Vita Vea, I'm fine with it. If we pass on Fitz to take some bum OG like they were saying on 980 today, I'd be salty.

3 hours ago, skinsfan834 said:

Agreed. Would be happy to send next year's third if it meant moving up a few spots this year to draft either one of the top LB's (Edmunds or Smith) or Safety's (Fitzpatrick or James). Although, recent chatter has indicated that we might actually be able to snag one of those 4 without even moving from 13. 

Only players I think they should move up to get should be Nelson or Barkley if they fell to the bottom of the top 10.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Depends who we take. If we take say Roquon Smith or Vita Vea, I'm fine with it. If we pass on Fitz to take some bum OG like they were saying on 980 today, I'd be salty.

If somehow Nelson fell they'd be stupid to take any of those guys over him. Who where they referring to? Can't think of another OG that should go in the top 20.

Archived