Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

@Skinsinparadise Only thing about taking Guice at 13 ... is if he can be had a LITTLE lower and you can accumulate a mid-rounder for him.

The ONLY situation that in my mind makes it a tough call is if Fitzpatrick or James is still on the board, along with Vea.

If Barkley goes before #7 I've also heard rumblings (granted, it was a few weeks ago) that Tampa could sniff Guice at #7. When he's on, he's on. And I think a lot of teams are going to bank on him being on in 2018.

Early RB is bucking the trend, and last year there was a sense that maybe guys like Cook or Mixon could go in the 1st but they fell to Round 2. I think Guice is at least as comparable to Cook in terms of expected impact and he likely exceeds it. Will be curious to see if the Skins pass on Guice when he actually does get drafted. I'm thinking #16 to Baltimore is his ceiling and if he makes it past the Lions at #20 he could slide. But doubt he gets past The Browns or Giants in the early 2nd if he does slide.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably so, forgot they lost picks.  Wonder if that changes if they gain some high picks if they trade E. Thomas.

Oh, well I'd trade #13 to Seattle for #18 and Earl Thomas ...

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Skinsinparadise Only thing about taking Guice at 13 ... is if he can be had a LITTLE lower and you can accumulate a mid-rounder for him.

The ONLY situation that in my mind makes it a tough call is if Fitzpatrick or James is still on the board, along with Vea.

Agree.  And I've said the same, try to trade down and take him. 

Another mock I just caught and another one with Fitzpatrick falling. 

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-draft/2018-nfl-mock-draft-early-april-edition/

13. Washington Redskins: Minkah Fitzpatrick, Safety, Alabama

The draft buzz on Fitzpatrick has been an odd one to see unfold. But with the team trading Su’a Cravens to the Broncos for a late-round pick, Washington definitely needs the help in the secondary. That will help end Fitzpatrick’s slide.

Early RB is bucking the trend, and last year there was a sense that maybe guys like Cook or Mixon could go in the 1st but they fell to Round 2. I think Guice is at least as comparable to Cook in terms of expected impact and he likely exceeds it.

I think a large part of their drops were character issues on both of them. Early in the process, Cook was often top 15 in mocks.  Then he kept falling. His mediocre combine didn't help.  If you recall McCaffrey actually kept rising in mocks as the draft crept closer.  And its not that mocks are the be all and end all -- but some of them at least is the closest thing we have to buzz that people are hearing.  Sometimes that buzz proves correct and sometimes not.

I'm thinking #16 to Baltimore is his ceiling and if he makes it past the Lions at #20 he could slide. But doubt he gets past The Browns or Giants in the early 2nd if he does slide.

Agree on 16, I said the same on this thread.  I suspect Balitmore goes Ridley and I think he will be there.   Yeah the Lions at 20 to me seems like a real threat.  I read that the Eagles RB coach loves Guice and have seen Guice now go to them in a couple of mocks at 32. 

JMS, I do that trade in a second. 

I'm starting to get a lot higher on Guice at 13. This is a make or break year for us IMO and it's going to be time for a major youth movement soon. Next year we'll probably have to go QB early, if we don't grab a developmental one this year and guys like Reed aren't going to be here much longer. Our D is already getting younger in a few spots.

RB makes the biggest impact for us to have success IMO. If we could grab a LG in the second and a TE or WR in the 3rd or 4rth, I think it really helps our team out. A strong ground game helps the defense as much as anything and if our D can play at the level they were last year, before being decimated by injury, we will be pretty good.

I like Guice too.  And like you I like Fitzpatrick.  So curious what would you do if Fitzpatrick fell to 13?  

Woof. Gotta go Fitzpatrick. Because your chances of landing an impactful FS/CB like him at 44 is going to be a lot harder than finding an impact RB that is close to Guice.

This is why I envy the Browns. If I am Cleveland, I'm trading #4 to Buffalo for #12 and #21 and #53 ... then I'm turning around and I'm trading #21 and #35 to get to #8 and I'm trading #33, 53, 64 to Washington to get to #13. And then I'm going to draft Sam Darnold, Tremaine Edmunds, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Mike McGlinchey ... and ride off into the sunset.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Guice too.  And like you I like Fitzpatrick.  So curious what would you do if Fitzpatrick fell to 13?  

I don't know. Pretty sure I've been leading the FS charge for the last decade and Fitz is a good one. Entertain trade back offers I guess, because they'd definitely be there if that happens. I think I take Fitz and improve our entire defense. The FO seemed pretty high on Nicholson though, so who knows.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't know. Pretty sure I've been leading the FS charge for the last decade and Fitz is a good one. Entertain trade back offers I guess, because they'd definitely be there if that happens. I think I take Fitz and improve our entire defense. The FO seemed pretty high on Nicholson though, so who knows.

The thing is also as for Nicholson (like Jordan Reed) there is this narrative that the defense isn't the same (dramatically so) without him.  So if the dude is that injury prone -- having another guy who can handle centerfield is very useful if that position is that critical for this defense.   And Fitzpatrick plays slot so he can interchange from those 2 positions - slot corner-FS.  Saban said he's one of the smartest players he's ever been around.  He's been compared by some to be an Ed Reed type in that he knows the opposing offense and tendencies inside and out.    He's also a really good blitzer -- was a ball hawk the season before.  Seems like the total package.

I love the idea of dramatically upgrading RB but also love the ultimate swiss army knife for the defense. 

The thing is also as for Nicholson (like Jordan Reed) there is this narrative that the defense isn't the same (dramatically so) without him.  So if the dude is that injury prone -- having another guy who can handle centerfield is very useful if that position is that critical for this defense.   And Fitzpatrick plays slot so he can interchange from those 2 positions - slot corner-FS.  Saban said he's one of the smartest players he's ever been around.  He's been compared by some to be an Ed Reed type in that he knows the opposing offense and tendencies inside and out.    He's also a really good blitzer -- was a ball hawk the season before.  Seems like the total package.

I love the idea of dramatically upgrading RB but also love the ultimate swiss army knife for the defense. 

If you can add an Ed Reed type to your defense you do it. No way around that. Yeah, I think Fitz is still my top choice for us at 13.

I'd love to be able to pick up a 3rd. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you take Fitzpatrick and wait to take an RB in the 2nd. And sacrifice NT and LG until the mid-rounds. Because getting a Fitzpatrick or Derwin James can change the top of the defense.

I am liking Guice more and more as the off-season wears on. At the end of the day, if the Skins drafted him at #13 I would applaud it. If it's over Fitzpatrick, I'll like it but not as much. If it's over Vea, I'm okay with that.

I'm also starting to think we pass on LG until later. Unless Nelson falls to #13 I think it's more likely that we use a 4th or 5th on some swiss army knife guys who can come in and compete at OC or LG. Kiandjiao might actually put it together this year. If not, he'll have young competition from a 5th rounder and Kalis. And if we don't go LG until the 4th or 5th, I could see Lavao back on a vet. min. deal to compete ... or maybe we bring in someone like Alex Boone or Luke Joeckel to compete on a cheap deal post-draft.

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Woof. Gotta go Fitzpatrick. Because your chances of landing an impactful FS/CB like him at 44 is going to be a lot harder than finding an impact RB that is close to Guice.

Yeah I am thinking the same.  I am jazzed at all these recent mocks with him landing at 13-15.   Slot CB, FS, SS, CB.  Peyton Manning level studier of the game.  Leader.  Seems like the whole package. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741651-alabamas-minkah-fitzpatrick-has-nick-sabans-brain-in-an-nfl-stars-body

"I don't see any flaws in the guy," an NFL scout tells B/R. "He's probably a top-10 guy. He can play all the positions, he's aggressive, he's a student of the game and he's already acting like a professional athlete."

When Saban speaks of his own capital-p Process at Alabama, and the notion that preparation and work should be valued over outcome, he might as well be speaking of Fitzpatrick, who embodies that "process" as muchif not morethan anyone who's ever played for him. It may be why Fitzpatrick is even being talked of as a dark-horse Heisman Trophy contender.

"He's the kind of guy that's very easy to talk to," Saban says. "He's just a very easy guy to like. You like being around him. He's certainly one of those guys that make it fun to coach."

Fitzpatrick's teammates insist he's the only player on this year's team who can regularly break through his coach's famously hardened countenance, the only one who can get him to smile and laugh on a regular basis. And the irony is that Fitzpatrick makes his coach so joyful in large part because he shares Saban's utter lack of contentment with the status quo.

His teammates speak of him in near-reverent tones, claiming he works so relentlessly it makes them want to work harder. And whatever spare time he has, he often spends it watching film and studying. This summer, when his teammate and former roommate, running back Damien Harris, actively tried to keep up with him and be first in line during conditioning drills, Fitzpatrick often wound up ahead of him.

I still believe an impact player on the spine of the D is best at #13. But I'm definitely warming up to RB in the 1st, even Guice at 13 if no good trades available. Why? I think it could transform the offense into a true multi-dimensional threat. Our running game has been pathetic leaving us far too dependent on the passing attack. Not to mention the frustration of not being able to consistently convert 3-and-1 RUNNING THE DAMN FOOTBALL. The ability to run the ball will make the entire offense more efficient and explosive.

If Fitzpatrick, Vea, Smith, (or James) are available this will be a tough choice but a good problem to have, no doubt. 

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like Fitz but I believe Nicholson is going to be a stud.

So yeah, I'd take Guice at 13.

37 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm trading #33, 53, 64 to Washington to get to #13. And then I'm going to draft Sam Darnold, Tremaine Edmunds, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Mike McGlinchey ... and ride off into the sunset.

You know I have looked at the Browns second rounders and wondered if they would actually use them to jump back into the top 15. Sticking where they are or trading back from #4 give them more shots in the draft, but could they jump from the second round back into the first. 

They could literally have 3 picks in the top 12-15. That's got to be tempting.

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

You know I have looked at the Browns second rounders and wondered if they would actually use them to jump back into the top 15. Sticking where they are or trading back from #4 give them more shots in the draft, but could they jump from the second round back into the first. 

They could literally have 3 picks in the top 12-15. That's got to be tempting.

I've done some amateur analysis of their depth chart. They've got a lot of young talent on this team. Their biggest holes are at QB, LT, OLB (4-3) and DT. They don't need an RB after going Carlos Hyde in FA to pair with Duke Johnson. Not saying they won't ... because he's a transformational talent, but if they were planning to target Barkley at #1 or #4 ... or hell ... use either 33 or 35 on Guice or Michel or whoever is there after Round 1 ... why would they bother going and signing Hyde? Just doesn't seem logical to me. Anyway. And while they could certainly use a stud CB or Safety, they did just bring in Damarius Randall in the trade with Green Bay, and he's a FS/CB just like Fitzpatrick. So unless they have Randall penciled in as a CB1 or FS, and then bring in Fitz to be the opposite (which again, lots of flexibility in that scenario), I Just don't see them taking Fitz at 4 for that reason. But maybe they trade back in later for it.

The one position besides QB and LT that is a glaring hole for Cleveland is their OLB position. Jamie Collins has been hurt and is aging. Someone like Tremaine Edmuds fits what they need to a TEE. I would not be surprised at all if they drafted him at #4. But if the Browns to trade down with Buffalo, I think the #12 spot is a great place to get your future LT. So the question then becomes, do they take #22 and a couple of their 2nd rounders and move into the Top 10 for Edmunds? In my mock draft, the most logical place to make that happen is with San Francisco. SF is going to want a WR, and apparently like Sutton, but #9 is not the place to take him, ideally. I could see Cleveland offering #22 and, say, # 53 and #64 to SF if Edmunds is there.

Now, the 4th Top 15 pick is me just having some fun. This is a deep draft, and I've got to imagine Cleveland would love to keep 33 and 35 to get two impact players. But it is fun to speculate them trading those 2 picks to someone like Washington to jump back up to take someone at #13. So the Browns could go from having 1 + 4 + 33 + 35+ 53 + 64 to 1 + 9 + 12 + 13 and then nothing else until the 4th I believe.

This is def. gonna be a fun draft for Cleveland fans. And while a trade-down with Buffalo could make sense, you do run into the question of whether Cleveland has enough roster spots right now to give to their then 7 1st and 2nd round picks if Buffalo sends 12, 22 and 53.

Harold Landry

Josh Jackson

DaRon Payne

Billy Price

Ronald Jones

Those are my watchlist guys through or first couple of picks. I think we'll trade around abit. Not idea how though. 

I'd also add, if we sit at 13 and Ridley is there then he could well be BPA. I see him as our best trade back bait. Maybe even with the pukes. However, you could argue that we should consider taking him. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I personally don't have a good feel for scouting D linemen so I completely rely on what others say about these guys.  It should be interesting to see how Maurice Hurst pans out because the PFF guys are screaming that this dude is one of the top 3 players in the draft, Donald type of abilities.  If so, you can play Hurst, Ioannidis, Allen in the nickel -- that would be a fun combination if Hurst is who PFF say he is.  

I'm a big fan of Hurst myself, and would be ecstatic to see the Redskins take him, even if it's at 13.  The only concern I have is his pedestrian pro day numbers (not concerned about the medical, since he was cleared) because they really don't match the explosion you see from him on tape.  That's the main reason I don't feel 100% comfortable comparing him to Donald.  Donald put up freakish numbers at the combine.  But when you watch Hurst's tape, you do see similar flashes of dominance.

As for PFF, they definitely deserve credit for being right on Carl Lawson last year, who went in the 4th round but was a huge success for the Bengals.  He was probably the most productive rookie pass rusher last year.  PFF had him as a top 15 player.  They just came out with an article yesterday discussing what is the highest correlation of predicting success at the next level for pass rushers.  Interesting read, and if they are right, everyone here should be banging the table for Hurst at 13.

40 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm a big fan of Hurst myself, and would be ecstatic to see the Redskins take him, even if it's at 13.  The only concern I have is his pedestrian pro day numbers (not concerned about the medical, since he was cleared) because they really don't match the explosion you see from him on tape.  That's the main reason I don't feel 100% comfortable comparing him to Donald.  Donald put up freakish numbers at the combine.  But when you watch Hurst's tape, you do see similar flashes of dominance.

As for PFF, they definitely deserve credit for being right on Carl Lawson last year, who went in the 4th round but was a huge success for the Bengals.  He was probably the most productive rookie pass rusher last year.  PFF had him as a top 15 player.  They just came out with an article yesterday discussing what is the highest correlation of predicting success at the next level for pass rushers.  Interesting read, and if they are right, everyone here should be banging the table for Hurst at 13.

Hmm.  The biggest takeaway I see here is that PFF pass rushing grade for Nose Tackles have like no correlation to the NFL.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

These media mocks are bouncing off one another and grasping. 

He's not falling to 13. (Or beyond which is even more out there.). 

But he starts falling 7/8/9 on down I'd be on the 'phone trying to move up. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Harold Landry

Josh Jackson

DaRon Payne

Billy Price

Ronald Jones

Those are my watchlist guys through or first couple of picks. I think we'll trade around abit. Not idea how though. 

I'd also add, if we sit at 13 and Ridley is there then he could well be BPA. I see him as our best trade back bait. Maybe even with the pukes. However, you could argue that we should consider taking him. 

I would literally kick a puppy dog, HARD, if we drafted Jackson. :angry:

And I love puppy dogs damn it! 

I think I'm a bad person. :(

Hail. 

18 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

These media mocks are bouncing off one another and grasping. 

He's not falling to 13. (Or beyond which is even more out there.). 

I am more optimistic than you, I'd say 50-50 he's there.  If not him Denzel Ward. D. James.   The math works as long as there is 1 climber. In some mocks McGlinchey, Davenport, Landry, L. Jackson, Vea, Ridley go top 12.  All that has to happen is for 1 of those players to make it -- my best guess is that's Landry.  I guess the other wild card is are Edmonds and R. Smith slam dunk top 12 players?   I could see R. Smith or Edmonds make it to 13 over Fitzpatrick.  That's why I am at 50-50. 

QBs:  Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold

DE:  Chubb

RB:  Barkley

MLB:  Edmonds, R. Smith

OG:  Q. Nelson 

Those are 9 guys.  

32 minutes ago, Bobby Peppers said:

Completely agree. +1 in on the Hurst camp. BTW... Guice is really low in their rankings. 

That's because of their elusive ratings -- Guice wasn't the elusive dude in 2017 that he was in 2016.  PFF is about the last season.  To PFF, R. Penny is the Maurice Hurst of running backs (along with Barkley).

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I like Fitz but I believe Nicholson is going to be a stud.

So yeah, I'd take Guice at 13.

I think the same about nicholson, he has flashes of probowl level talent - the injuries are concerning though, hopefully they were a one year thing

Archived