Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

I was just going through McShay's mock.  Supposedly these ESPN guys at the combine are talking to people there and things are shifting post combine, etc.  

So in his mock the changes that strike me are you got Josh Rosen dropping to the mid first.   Derwin James #7. Vea goes at 12.   We take Mike Hughes at 13.  You got DJ Moore in the back end of the first round.   All the RBs except Barkley fall to the 2nd. 

I wonder if there is anything to all this corner stuff tied to the Redskins.  You got a couple of beat guys saying the name they heard a lot before the combine was Josh Jackson.  They got D. Hall there apparently helping with DB interviews.    Seems to be some smoke as for an interest in that spot.

So, again back to Craig Hoffman —- again a beat guy and not the God of all insight necessarily but he said his sense was Breeland was going to be let go because there’s nowhere for him to play. He said Norman and Dunbar/Moreau are penciled in as starters on the outside and they’ll be seeking a cheaper nickel CB to compete with Josh Holsey, if they do anything. Maybe he was talking only about FA and Breeland being expensive. There’s obviously a big difference between going $10m on a CB when you’ve got in your mind 3 capable starters on the outside and taking s guy in the 1st who is a cheaper long term investment. 

But my takeaway was we are set up top, not to expect anything splashy, and any CB help would likely be later picks or a cheaper FA who can compete as the Nickel CB and a CB4-6 guy on the depth chart with Holsey 

In trying to read the tea leaves a bit, I’m getting the sense that our FO is higher than many fans on the secondary and any additional picks there are likely in the 4th-7th rounds. 

To me, it sounds like any splashy FA acquisitions will be at WR and DL and ILB (counting Zach brown if we bring him back) along with upgrades in the draft at RB 

Seems like you guys are on to something as there's a lot of unconfirmed tweeter chatter that we're trading down.  If stuff is shaken up after the Combine and guys the Skins might like (Guice, Jackson whoever) appear to be dropping than it kind of makes sense.  Especially if a QB like Rosen drops in our lap at #13 - perfect trade setup.

If Rosen falls to 13 and we trade down, we are imbeciles. I don't care how long Alex Smith is signed for or how soon we could get out of his contract. (It would also make the trade for Smith and subsequent extension look even more dumb, but there's no getting around that)

The last couple of post sound like we have faith in our own draft ability. We might not take a TE because we like our last year's 5th rounder. We let Breeland go so there is room for Moreau to grow. We let Hosley compete for the slot corner spot. 

That's what good football teams do. Draft players and give them shot to shine. It also saves a ton of cap money. Breeland will take 10 million but Moreau and Dunbar together will probably cost somewhere around 5 or 6? 

Sort of in response to some of the above posts...

1.  I think they should mostly line Reed out wide - helps address our receiver problem while still allowing us to play with a TE or 2 on the line. 

2.  Maybe the team feels good about Sprinkle, but I sure didn’t see anything from him as a pass catcher.  

3.  I would plan for Reed and Davis both to be off the team next year, which means drafting one makes a lot of sense.  

4.  We don’t seem to have a well rounded TE on the team.  

5.  If all of the backs (outside of Barkley) fall to the 2nd, we have a good shot at a top back... which is exciting.  I’m gonna be ticked off if we wait till the 4th for a back (in general, but especially if Guice falls to us).  

6. @ConnSKINS26 by the same token, trading major resources for a qb, promising that guy we won’t draft a qb of the future this year (or however it was agreed upon), and then taking one in the 1st... would also be stupid.  That would be somewhat typical - create a corner so we can back ourselves into it, lol.

7.  Team might be happy with their drafting prowess, but if much of the recent decision making was on Scot... then this group is largely unproven.  I do have hopes that our scouts are competent or better.  

8.  If Rosen fell to us, that’s a good chance at a trade down.  Of course, we also telegraphed that we won’t be picking him, which could hurt our chances there.  

9.  I just can’t see us taking a corner at 13.  Well, unless Fitzpatrick falls, but that’s because he could compete at slot corner or FS with Holsey/Nicholson.  

10.  No brainer to let Breeland walk.  

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So, again back to Craig Hoffman —- again a beat guy and not the God of all insight necessarily but he said his sense was Breeland was going to be let go because there’s nowhere for him to play. He said Norman and Dunbar/Moreau are penciled in as starters on the outside and they’ll be seeking a cheaper nickel CB to compete with Josh Holsey, if they do anything. Maybe he was talking only about FA and Breeland being expensive. There’s obviously a big difference between going $10m on a CB when you’ve got in your mind 3 capable starters on the outside and taking s guy in the 1st who is a cheaper long term investment. 

But my takeaway was we are set up top, not to expect anything splashy, and any CB help would likely be later picks or a cheaper FA who can compete as the Nickel CB and a CB4-6 guy on the depth chart with Holsey 

In trying to read the tea leaves a bit, I’m getting the sense that our FO is higher than many fans on the secondary and any additional picks there are likely in the 4th-7th rounds. 

To me, it sounds like any splashy FA acquisitions will be at WR and DL and ILB (counting Zach brown if we bring him back) along with upgrades in the draft at RB 

I've been listening to Hoffman some, too.  My thing about corner isn't really about my own thoughts about the position.  Taking a corner in round 1 in particular might be one of my least favorite things they could do except if we got lucky and Fitzpatrick falls.  But I think you got some smoke on them having an interest in a corner or a safety who is Jenkins like who can man the nickel.

Walter Football (granted dubious source) saying the Redskins love Fitzpatrick. Beat guys saying Joyner might have been on the Redskins radar if the Rams didn't franchise him.  Two beat guys saying they love Josh Jackson.  Now we got McShay who says his mocks are mostly about scuttlebutt he hears has the Redskins going corner after the combine in his last mock. We got D. Hall at the combine specifically to help them with corners.  It could all add to nothing.  But to me I've seen enough to at least consider it could be on their radar screen.

Yeah the tea leaves are clear as heck on:  RB, WR, DT.  If I had to pick what's the next position to me that seems on their radar, I'd pick CB or a Jenkins like safety who can play nickel.   One of Finlay's theories is they use FA to upgrade offense and the draft to upgrade defense.  Will see soon enough.

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Helps us become trade partners if one of the so called blue chips QB's are available at #13 however IF Mayfield is still available I hope we draft him.  Think he's special!

@Skinsinparadise good points. I’m all for BPA in the draft. I wouldn’t hate a Josh Jackson type of pick as long as we’ve bolstered the DL a bit and secured an ILB solution in FA. Especially if the guy we get is a hybrid safety/nickel player. Because Jackson would likely be roughly on par with Vea, Payne, etc as far as placement on a draft board. 

Also, we’ve got a long ways to go, but If the team really doesn’t plan to trade Cravens you’ve got 4 locked in safeties, so adding a hybrid nickel/safety like you lay out would be a nice complement to what we’ve already got there. 

FA: OG Mewhort, WR Richardson, DT Sheldon Richardson

Draft: CB Josh Jackson, RB Nick Chubb

Would add 3 quality starters at positions of need or importance. Assuming ZBB comes back at ILB we’d be in good shape there as well (maybe add a 4th or 5th rounder)

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just going through McShay's mock.  Supposedly these ESPN guys at the combine are talking to people there and things are shifting post combine, etc.  

So in his mock the changes that strike me are you got Josh Rosen dropping to the mid first.   Derwin James #7. Vea goes at 12.   We take Mike Hughes at 13.  You got DJ Moore in the back end of the first round.   All the RBs except Barkley fall to the 2nd. 

I wonder if there is anything to all this corner stuff tied to the Redskins.  You got a couple of beat guys saying the name they heard a lot before the combine was Josh Jackson.  They got D. Hall there apparently helping with DB interviews.    Seems to be some smoke as for an interest in that spot.

Man. I am gonna get basted for this. But if Rosen falls to 13 I would take him. It is worth the risk to get what I consider the best QB in the draft and a true potential franchise QB in the middle of the first round. Just saying.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Man. I am gonna get basted for this. But if Rosen falls to 13 I would take him. It is worth the risk to get what I consider the best QB in the draft and a true potential franchise QB in the middle of the first round. Just saying.

If there are no viable trade offers in that scenario I am with you. However, if it is true that they promised Smith not to draft a quarterback (high) then we might alienate him from our team before he took a single snap.

Ultimately, I don't think it is a realistic scenario though.

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Sort of in response to some of the above posts...

8.  If Rosen fell to us, that’s a good chance at a trade down.  Of course, we also telegraphed that we won’t be picking him, which could hurt our chances there.   

Great post...but let's put this falsehood to bed.  Teams trading up try to leapfrog other teams they think may take a certain player. They don't try a trade with the team they think wants to take a certain player.  

3 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Great post...but let's put this falsehood to bed.  Teams trading up try to leapfrog other teams they think may take a certain player. They don't try a trade with the team they think wants to take a certain player.  

If Arizona doesn’t trade into the Top 10 and still needs a QB then I’d fully expect Buffalo or anyone in late R1 or early R2 to try to trade with us or GB to leap over Arizona. But those teams may go to a team hgjer than us to secure their guy. Waiting to 13 probably puts more risk on hoping that “guy” falls that far. So it might have to be a team like Pittsburgh or Jacksonville who doesn’t plan to trade up but if the right one fell far enough might pull the trigger 

15 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I’m not sure what you mean by falsehood.  Are you saying that teams would want to leapfrog us for Rosen because they think we would take him? I would say that’s certainly possible, but the reporting seems to be that we made a gentleman’s agreement to not draft a qb of the future.  Sure, we could go back on that agreement (teams might not trust Allen’s word there), but generally speaking, I would not expect the ‘Skins to go that route, particularly as a trade down to recoup their 3rd would be helpful and the team has already said they’re open to moving back.  

On top of that, acquiring Smith and giving up the resources we did, plus the word that our FO thinks we’re ‘close’, makes me think the ‘Skins are unlikely to use their 1st on a qb.  

If you’re saying teams might take the safer route - leapfrogging us - sure, I could buy that.  Were I the GM of a team looking to trade up, I’d take the risk... and I’d be licking my chops at the chance to ‘negotiate’ with Allen. 

Robert KlemkoVerified account @RobertKlemko
FollowFollow @RobertKlemko
More

Baker Mayfield's combine: -- 3:30am drug test -- Dorsey's 1st question: "So you like food trucks?" -- CLE, NYG and now Jets will fly him in. CLE, NYJ, MIA, N.O. plan private Norman workouts -- Combine interviews: MIA JAX BUF DEN CLE NYJ NYG NO LAC ARI WAS

The Washington Redskins did not enter the offseason seeking another cornerback. That changed on Jan. 30, when they agreed to trade Kendall Fuller as part of a package to Kansas City for quarterback Alex Smith.

That’s why, in his latest Insider mock draft, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay projected Central Florida corner Mike Hughes to the Redskins. It’s mildly surprising -- he’s been projected as a late-first or second-round pick. Whether No. 13 is too high for Hughes remains to be seen. But if they operate under the best-player-available theory, then they could easily address this position. Maybe it wouldn’t be Hughes, but a corner is a possibility -- Iowa’s Josh Jackson would be one to watch. They do like him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35831/mike-hughes-would-be-a-surprise-pick-but-redskins-do-want-more-help-at-corner

37 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not sure what you mean by falsehood.  Are you saying that teams would want to leapfrog us for Rosen because they think we would take him? I would say that’s certainly possible, but the reporting seems to be that we made a gentleman’s agreement to not draft a qb of the future.  Sure, we could go back on that agreement (teams might not trust Allen’s word there), but generally speaking, I would not expect the ‘Skins to go that route, particularly as a trade down to recoup their 3rd would be helpful and the team has already said they’re open to moving back.  

On top of that, acquiring Smith and giving up the resources we did, plus the word that our FO thinks we’re ‘close’, makes me think the ‘Skins are unlikely to use their 1st on a qb.  

If you’re saying teams might take the safer route - leapfrogging us - sure, I could buy that.  Were I the GM of a team looking to trade up, I’d take the risk... and I’d be licking my chops at the chance to ‘negotiate’ with Allen. 

I'm not saying any of that.  By "falsehood" I was addressing the multiple people who were stating things like that last year also.  It wasn't a dig at you personally.

You said:

"8.  If Rosen fell to us, that’s a good chance at a trade down.  Of course, we also telegraphed that we won’t be picking him, which could hurt our chances there." 

I'm saying...the Redskins telegraphing that they are not going to take a QB is actually good for the chances for a trade down.  If the Redskins did not have a QB (or only had a 1 year placeholder) the teams interested in a QB would not wait until the Skins pick and then ask them to trade with them.  They would leapfrog the Skins pick to get ahead of them.  Since teams don't think the Skins will take a QB those teams only have to worry about someone out bidding them while dealing with the Skins (if the QB gets to #13). 

30 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Top of the 6th round? I'm in.  Skins need WR help :)

If that guy is on to something, I am guessing Doug might be the big L. Jackson guy?  Formal meetings with Mayfield.  Check out Lamar Jackson.  Are we secretly in the QB sweepstakes? :ols:  

Replying to @BurgundyBlog @ESPNFantasy

I’m a Redskin junkie and have been following this path since the beginning of college football this past season... figured it doesn’t and didn’t mean anything! ??‍♂️

DXyq4JpW4AIugMg.jpg

Archived