Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

DJ Moore the next Steve Smith, Ravens have a history with MD. players, and I do not think he will be there after they pick, its a big need at the position for them. Maybe too early for us.

DJ Chalk the speed guy we need , had a excellent senior bowl week too. Maybe there in the second for us but moving up.  But other needs will factor too.  

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

According to NFL.com, Vita Vea hurt his hamstring at the combine and is done there.

They don't believe the injury is serious, though, and shouldn't affect his draft status.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919212/article/vita-vea-ends-nfl-combine-workout-with-hamstring-injury

He's proved all he needs to prove. He'll go top 10.

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

And now Payne becomes the hot talk among combine enthusiasts. Workout warrior. Not good production compared to the other DT's at all but will get overdrafted and bust out because he tests well. Happens every year. Just hope its not the Skins.

He helped himself. His last college game was huge. His combine is good. That's how you make money in the draft. 

I'm also not huge fan. I like Hurst, Bryan and Settle. I'm still not sure about Vea. He has done crazy stuff in Washington. I like varsatile lineman and he played so many positions but my mind looks at his size and says NT.  It takes time to let that number go and just look at a sensational diverse player. 

If you’re Cleveland, I don’t know how you take anyone other than Barkley 1st overall. You still have the 4th to get a QB, assuming you don’t sign someone in the off-season. I can see Cleveland getting a FA QB on a friendly deal, drafting Barkley 1st, and getting one of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield with the 4th. That’s what I would do.

Just talking theory here, haven’t watched much of Vea...

Looking at these factors...

He can play NT for us (which we very much need)

He can play DT?  I’m guessing he can as he’s seen as a versatile guy, but I don’t know this for sure.  

He seems to take plays off

He’s a good run stuffer (probably our weakest area on D)

Early 1st is too early for a NT, and especially for a backup DT

We have a very good dline coach and hard working guys (Allen and Io in particular)

So, if he’s mostly playing base (less than 40% of snaps), I’d say we shouldn’t have to worry too much about taking plays off.  If he makes a big difference against the run, I’m fine using a 1st to address our biggest problem on D.  If he can play DT, we have a guy that can be used to give Allen/Io a breather, and good depth if one goes down (huge for us).  Given his athleticism, I’m less worried about a team going hurry up to render him ineffective.  I would worry about this wearing him down a bit though.  

4 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

And now Payne becomes the hot talk among combine enthusiasts. Workout warrior. Not good production compared to the other DT's at all but will get overdrafted and bust out because he tests well. Happens every year. Just hope its not the Skins.

Yeah I see the Payne buzz now heating up.  Athletic for his size.  For his example is 10 yrd split is faster than Ryan Anderson.   Though that says something about Anderson, too.  Anderson is an example of a guy that the combine screams don't draft (slow-short arms).  Payne -- the opposite of that.  Though the combine is typically just a small piece of the puzzle.

48 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

If you’re Cleveland, I don’t know how you take anyone other than Barkley 1st overall. You still have the 4th to get a QB, assuming you don’t sign someone in the off-season. I can see Cleveland getting a FA QB on a friendly deal, drafting Barkley 1st, and getting one of Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield with the 4th. That’s what I would do.

Me, too.   And I hope so.   I see on twitter some saying don't worry about Barkley on the Giants because their O line.  but all they really got to do is sign a couple of studs on the O line and they are fine.  They seemed to be the hottest to trot rumor wise as for Norwood as an example.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me, too.   And I hope so.   I see on twitter some saying don't worry about Barkley on the Giants because their O line.  but all they really got to do is sign a couple of studs on the O line and they are fine.  They seemed to be the hottest to trot rumor wise as for Norwood as an example.

Those people don’t realize Barkley doesn’t need an O-line. He can do it himself.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

230 pounds. But yeah. With that speed he can play safety for sure. His highlight reel is something else in all honesty.

Yeah, I put some thought into it. The one hand might be issue at safety. You see lbers play at high level with broken hand/cast on it. I don't remember seeing at at safety.   

So for those curious here are some figures after the combine. The first set of columns is the data from the market share earlier of what the backs did during the season and their production. The second set is some combine numbers. The last column is how these backs placed all together from 1-13 in their respective catagories. What does it all mean? Nothing. A shot in the dark just like all other scouts and analysts. However this is a good measure of including a lot of data to get a feel of a prospect. Hopefully you guys enjoy the data as it took a while to put together. Also pay attention to our own Mr. Perine. I believe we can get an upgrade easily here.

Running Back Rush Yds Rec Yds Total Worth School SOS   40 Vert Arm Bench Big Board  
  43.0 AVG 6.85 AVG 24.8 AVG 88.1 AVG       4.51 AVG 35.6 AVG 31.46 AVG 17.3 AVG    
Rashaad Penny 68.3 7 45.8 121.1 San Diego St. 90   4.47 32.5 31.25 13 2  
Akrum Wadley 61.2 14.2 34.1 109.5 Iowa 3   4.54 32 29.5 12 3  
Ronald Jones 59.8 4.4 25.6 89.8 USC 27   4.66 36.5 31 9 9  
Saquan Barkley 57.4 16.7 31.8 105.9 Penn State 12   4.41 41 31.37 29 1  
Nyheim Hines 48.4 4.2 21.5 74.1 NC State 21   4.38 35.5 30.75 9 8  
Derrius Guice 46.3 4.6 25.7 76.6 LSU 38   4.49 31.5 30.75 15 10  
Kerryon Johnson 45.5 5.9 25 76.4 Auburn 11   DNP 40 32.5 11 6  
Royce Freeman 45.2 6.6 28.5 80.3 Oregon 58   4.55 34 32 17 5  
Nick Chubb 34.7 1.1 21 56.8 Georgia 8   4.53 38.5 32 29 4  
Sam Perine 34.4 2.5 16.1 53   30   4.65 33 30.37 30 13  
Sony Michel 31.6 3.6 20.2 55.4 Georgia 8   4.55 DNP 31.25 22 7  
Kalen Ballage 29.3 2.7 13.5 45.5 Arizona State 45   4.46 33.5 32.75 15 12  
Bo Scarbrough 16.9 4 11.3 32.2 Alabama 22   4.52 40 33.5 14 11  

Judging by draft geek buzz Davenport solidified himself likely as someone going before the #13 pick.   I recall Breer said recently he got a lot of hype from personnel guys about Davenport and thinks he's going high.   Ditto Edmonds.

Going by pure buzz-mocks (with the disclaimer they could be off)  My count for that moment that means likely before #13 

Allen

Rosen

Mayfield

Darnold

Chubb

Barkley

Edmonds

Davenport

Nelson

Fitzpatrick

then you got

Vea, R. Smith, Payne, Derwin James, D. Ward, C. Ridley all over the place including top 10.  The key then is for Ward and James to blow it up tomorrow.  If they do that, they might be hotter in the conversation to go before 13.  then, you just need a surprise or two like the Bears taking Ridley at #8 or the Bengals taking C. Williams at OT.  If so all of a sudden you might get one of those surprise drops from a guy like Fitzpatrick or someone else.

I am not saying i believe in this specific permutations of events.  But yeah I can see a Jonathan Allen type of drop happening with someone.  I think last year if I recall the two surprises in around the top half of the first were Hooker and Allen dropping.  

I'm wondering whether some of the team needs are going to become more pressing or numerous with the onset of free agency.  There was one article suggesting that both Junior Gallette and Trent Murphy may garner significant interest and contracts.  If they both depart that might mean that rush OLB could become a major need - Ryan Anderson is unproven; Kerrigan is getting old; and Preston Smith has only one year(?) left before his contract becomes really expensive. I was assuming that the Skins were set at OLB for now and could focus on solidifying the ILB position - but with Brown's desired contract numbers I'm not sure what will happen.

Now the writers are saying that there's a good possibility that Ryan Grant could leave.  I know he wasn't slated to ever be a #2 WR but that means the Skins really have to have Mo Harris; Davis or Quick become reliable #3/#4.  

I want more picks! 

35 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I'm wondering whether some of the team needs are going to become more pressing or numerous with the onset of free agency.  There was one article suggesting that both Junior Gallette and Trent Murphy may garner significant interest and contracts.  If they both depart that might mean that rush OLB could become a major need - Ryan Anderson is unproven; Kerrigan is getting old; and Preston Smith has only one year(?) left before his contract becomes really expensive. I was assuming that the Skins were set at OLB for now and could focus on solidifying the ILB position - but with Brown's desired contract numbers I'm not sure what will happen.

Now the writers are saying that there's a good possibility that Ryan Grant could leave.  I know he wasn't slated to ever be a #2 WR but that means the Skins really have to have Mo Harris; Davis or Quick become reliable #3/#4.  

I want more picks! 

Quick is a FA, I believe.

Archived