Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Trade downs are tough to pull off.  One factor for us is that off a blue chipper drops, we may have suitors, and if one doesn’t fall, there’s a better chance a qb drops.  Bottom line though, we probably need to go easy on the return demands to pull one off.  

FWIW....

I was watching the Junkies this morning and they had a scout on - Jon Ledyard when asked who the best fit in the draft was for Skins and he said something along the lines that Darius Guice ran in an offense very similar to Jay's.  He also said he was leaning towards putting Guice ahead of Barkley for a variety of reasons like Barkley not hitting creases on time, looks for big holes that won't be there in the NFL, has to bounce the ball outside, etc.  Reminds him of a Reggie Bush. 

Says he thinks it's possible Guice or Mechel would be there in the 2nd.  He'd love to see Guice in Skins offense, he can carry the load, always makes 1st guy miss, understands diverse schemes like Skins run, etc.

Go listen to the "Jon Ledyard on NFL Combine" at the link below where the conversation starts around min 5:10

http://washington.cbslocal.com/audio/the-sports-junkies/

Derwin James is the player I hope we take. I'm convinced his college film is displaying only a portion of his overall talent. With the right coaching and mentorship, he's all pro safety for years to come. True blue chipper that can do so much for the defense in the second level.

I wouldn't be upset if we went RB or WR in 2nd round if that were the case. But, because the RB's and QB's are taking center stage, I think a talented LB or DT is going to be there in the 2nd. 

Could be a very good draft for the Skins. 

PFF new Mock.  Now this would be nice albeit unlikely

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-2018-nfl-mock-draft-3?utm_content=bufferac3b4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl

13. WASHINGTON REDSKINS (7-9)

CB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama

With Kendall Fuller traded to the Chiefs, the Redskins have holes to shore up in the secondary. At worst, Fitzpatrick looks like a good slot corner or safety, though his size makes him an intriguing option as an outside cornerback despite playing only 13 snaps there last season. He has three strong years of grading under his belt on 2,281 career snaps.

Regarding Vae I thought he played really well in the Stanford game and at times dominated the men in front of him.  He did have moments where they got the better of him.  When you see a guy dominate some plays you have to think with coaching and improved technique he will be better.  I do see the issue of him getting knocked off his feet a lot.

I have to say I don’t see the love for VaTech’s Settle.  He just looks big.  He looks like he is pushed around quite a bit.

I have finished LB tape. As always my rankings are based solely on tape. No off field issues are taken into account for my rankings. The MLB's in the draft are HUGE guys.  I have only the defensive line left to do (THANK GOD). I will post those rankings when I am done watching the film. I will break the LB's up into two separate posts. First here are my top ten ILB's in this draft:

1) Roquan Smith, Georgia: One of my top players in the draft. Smith has unbelievable sideline to sideline speed. He is a playmaker and flashes consistently on film. Disrupts screen passes better than any LB I have ever seen. Incredible coverage skills against RB's. Excellent pass rusher from the middle as well. A little undersized but will lay the lumber.  One of the best players in this draft hands down (Top 10 pick)VA

2) Tremaine Edmunds, VA Tech: HUGE MLB. Can run and has tremendous athleticism. Not as good in space as Smith. But has decent coverage skills. Good pass rusher as well. (Top 20 pick)

3) Rashaan Evans, Alabama: Another HUGE LBer. Evans does not possess the speed or athleticism of Edmunds. he is a playmaker and will thump you. Excellent instincts and sheds blocks well. (Round 2)

4) Darius Leonard, SC State: Great athleticism and speed. Underrated thump at point of attack. Playmaker and will light you up. Excellent pass rusher. Decent in coverage. (Round 2/3)

5) Micah Kiser, UVA. Lacks ideal speed. But has great instincts and sheds blocks well. A thumper that will drop you. Not great in space. Good leader on the field (Round 3)Boise 

6) Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State: Huge and athletic. He moves smoothly and can tackle. Still learning the position so has A LOT of upside. (Round 3)

7) Jason Cabinda, WE ARE PENN STATE: Great tackler and plays hard EVERY play. Lacks ideal size and speed. But is a tremendous leader on the field (Round 4/5)

8) Josey Jewell, Iowa: I was surprised to see his times at the combine. He looks faster on tape. Thumper and leader. Makes splash plays (Round 4/5)

9)Christian Sam, Arizona State: Playmaker and leader. Lacks ideal speed and athleticism (Round 4/5)

10) Jack Cichy, Wisconsin: Has missed a ton of games due to injury. But his tape is excellent. Worth a late round flyer IMO (Round 6/7)

What criteria is PFF using to restrict runs to these numbers?  I'm looking at play by play data and these aren't right.

Carolina had 23 runs of 15+ yards, not 11.  Cam Newton had 11 alone.  Was this just RB's?  Is it only runs that got 1st downs?  Looking at it more, I think it's only RB's.  We had 13 total runs of 15+, but two of those were Kirk Cousins.  The previously mentioned Carolina had 11 by Cam, and 1 by a WR, probably an end around.

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Case in point.  IMO Jay we don't need another power thumper type -- its speed! :)

Power's fine, but we need a back with burst, or slipperyness, or something.

Ronald Jones, Derrius Guice, and Nick Chubb are who we'd have to think about if they're on the clock at #43.  I like Sony Michel, but I think his value is more towards the end of the second.  Chubb doesn't have pure speed or great burst, but he has Alfred Morris-esque vision, he's surprisingly slippery and difficult to tackle in the open field, then he's got power.  I swear he's also got an extra gear when he thinks he's got a lane to the end zone.  But only then.  It's surprising how often he isn't tackled from behind when he's got daylight in front of him.

I'm guessing Chubb is who our team is hoping lasts to #43.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Power's fine, but we need a back with burst, or slipperyness, or something.

Ronald Jones, Derrius Guice, and Nick Chubb are who we'd have to think about if they're on the clock at #43.  I like Sony Michel, but I think his value is more towards the end of the second.  Chubb doesn't have pure speed or great burst, but he has Alfred Morris-esque vision, he's surprisingly slippery and difficult to tackle in the open field, then he's got power.  I swear he's also got an extra gear when he thinks he's got a lane to the end zone.  But only then.  It's surprising how often he isn't tackled from behind when he's got daylight in front of him.

I'm guessing Chubb is who our team is hoping lasts to #43.

Sure, I am not opposed to power if speed-shiftiness comes with it.   There is always one thing or two with me with any of our head coaches -- I like Jay but I am not a fan of the power running game we got cooking now.  I want a guy who can break loose.

Like Kamara. Michel didn't have electric speed at the combine.  But he's still faster than anyone on the roster at RB sans Thompson and he's quick.  I don't think he's lasting to the late 2nd.  I'd be a little surprised he lasts to our pick in the 2nd.  But I like Chubb, too.  Guice, Jones.  Maybe Penny.

Michel is a feisty pass blocker.  I'd presume Jay would like that among other things.  But I'd be thrilled with Guice, Michel, Jones.  To a lesser extent Chubb, Penny, K. Johnson.

My ideal (ATM) is to trade back a few spots and land Guice.  Paul Richardson and Logan in FA, G in the 2nd, TE in the 4th.  

Gives us a heck of a back, a receiving weapon (maybe 2 depending on the TE), improves the dline (base and nickel), and improves the run blocking (G and TE).  Add a 3rd round ILB, and later picks at corner and OLB... we’re in pretty good shape, IMO, having addressed our 3 biggest problems - run stopping, the ground game, and receiver.  Added bonus of lining Reed up outside more often if the rookie TE performs.  

I’m thinking the team will try to trade back in the 1st, and if that doesn’t work out will draft either someone that falls - Fitzpatrick, Smith, Nelson - or go with dline as a last resort.  I’m hoping Jackson isn’t the pick... Also really hoping they don’t skip rb in the 2nd.  

I’m guessing the FO’s ideal is a receiver and a big time G or DL in FA, assuming Brown doesn’t re-sign.  Seems like they made him quite an offer though, so I’m not ruling that out. 

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

and improves the run blocking (G and TE).  Add a 3rd round ILB, and later picks at corner and OLB... we’re in pretty good shape, IMO, having addressed our 3 biggest problems - run stopping, the ground game, and receiver.  Added bonus of lining Reed up outside more often if the rookie TE performs.  

I read somewhere that people call this class the worst blocking TE groups in years. ? So you might struggle to find that guy. 

23 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I read somewhere that people call this class the worst blocking TE groups in years. ? So you might struggle to find that guy. 

Lol. They could be right.  I’ve got several guys in mind that look like solid pass catchers and major upgrades from Reed’s blocking though.  Of course, they may take some time to adjust to the pros.  

Hurst, Fumagalli, Schultz, and Smythe for example.  I like Goedert a lot, but heard he has medical concerns.  Schultz and Smythe are my favorites.  Walterfootball compares Schultz to Witten.  

There are others of course.  

Baugh is way too light as of now, but I’m intrigued that he’s the son of a TE coach. 

Honestly, the best TE could wind up being Andrews, I just didn’t see enough blocking from him to put him in my list above.  

58 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Yeah I would tend to agree with that assessment. I didnt see a whole lot of enthusiastic blockers on film at TE. 

RE: TE, listening to Craig Hoffman today in Chad Dukes, it sounds like the team is letting Niles Paul walk because they plan to only keep 3 TEs. Said only reason they kept 4 last year was they didn’t want to lose Jeremy Sprinkle. I’d say that Sprinkle, who was a high upside 5th rounder, is the guy many of you seek. 

Now, Vernon Davis is old and being paid quite a bit. But he’s also got a history with Alex Smith. Reed is owed a ton of money but is still Reed when healthy. Now, maybe we take a TE and keep 4 again. But it sounded like that was unlikely. Barring a salary-cap cut of Reed or Davis, I don’t think we address TE this year. At least to plan to include on the 53-man roster. 

Sprinkle is the guy this team has planned as our TE2 this year. Similar to Monfae Nicholson at FS. The team sees both as high upside at positions of need. May be a case of the fan base thinking they’re positions of weakness when the team likes what is in-house right now

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

RE: TE, Sprinkle is the guy this team has planned as our TE2 this year. Similar to Monfae Nicholson at FS. The team sees both as high upside at positions of need. May be a case of the fan base thinking they’re positions of weakness when the team likes what is in-house right now

Fans are always limited in what they see, or don't see, from the past season.  No one is hoping for Sprinkle to turn into a dominant TE but if he can block and be a legitimate pass threat then that's perfect as the TE2.  He's had a year to develop in the pros - let's see what he can do this new season.  4 TEs was a luxury- I think the Skins might prefer to keep an extra RB.  Of course, some of the desire for a new TE is based on thinking 2 years out (Davis being in decline and Reed continuing his injury history).    

Archived