Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Granted the source is dubious but I hope he's right.  I am almost as in to Barkley not landing in our division than I am about our own pick.

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowingFollowing @RapSheet
More

After days of evaluation at the #Combine, one thing is clear: Penn St RB Saquon Barkley is firmly in the mix at No. 1 for the #Browns, sources say. Would be the first RB at that spot since Ki-Jana Carter to the #Bengals in 1995.

30 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Anyone know why Roquan Smith didn't do the bench press?  This kid is growing on me but I would like to see what kind of strength he has,

Vea looks like a beast, runs a 5.1 forty and did 41 reps on the bench.

You won't get anything pertinent to that by how many times he can bench press 225 pounds that's for sure. When he has his pads behind him he has enough functional strength to sift through blockers well enough to not get latched onto and tossed around, which is also in part due to his good low center of gravity. I don't think he'll straight up overpower anyone, but he's too quick and active for blockers to really square up and he generates considerable explosion without too much downhill momentum at his back, so he'll be able to jar bigger offensive linemen before they can get behind their pads. 

I think I still like Vea at 13 assuming none of the other blue chips fall to us. Even when he does take a play off he’s immobile. No one man is going to push him back, even on his worst day. I also think he can play 3 downs. Ioannidis, Allen, Vea inside with Kerrigan and Smith ranging around; you might have something there.

The more I watch Vea the more I become concerned. He cannot rush the passer. At all. Like Payne. This is concerning me greatly. That being said IMO you do not draft that guy at 13. Someone that can only run stuff is not worth that high of a draft pick. He just isnt. The hype is real with him and its getting louder and stronger. If you want Vea consider Poe in FA. Same guy. Will never live up to his draft stock. Does his job run stuffing somewhat but not worth a high pick. I know this is not a popular opinion and I was awed by him watching highlights but they are just that. Watching full game films shows the guy being lazy and slow off the block a lot of times during the coarse of a game. Not worth number 13. Not close to it. Let the grilling commence!

8 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

The more I watch Vea the more I become concerned. He cannot rush the passer. At all. Like Payne. This is concerning me greatly. That being said IMO you do not draft that guy at 13. Someone that can only run stuff is not worth that high of a draft pick. He just isnt. The hype is real with him and its getting louder and stronger. If you want Vea consider Poe in FA. Same guy. Will never live up to his draft stock. Does his job run stuffing somewhat but not worth a high pick. I know this is not a popular opinion and I was awed by him watching highlights but they are just that. Watching full game films shows the guy being lazy and slow off the block a lot of times during the coarse of a game. Not worth number 13. Not close to it. Let the grilling commence!

He's on the ground too much..i would rather have payne if i had to choose

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

According to Laconfora, Poe is on the radar screen of the Redskins.  Yeah I wouldn't mind at all going that route.  My favorite take is still to trade down unless an unexpected stud like Fitzpatrick falls to 13.  The more I think about all the guys that are likely to go high -- the more I think Roquan Smith is there at 13.  I'd still trade down if its him.  But he intrigues me more than Vea or Payne.  Though I wouldn't hate Vea or Payne.

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

You won't get anything pertinent to that by how many times he can bench press 225 pounds that's for sure. When he has his pads behind him he has enough functional strength to sift through blockers well enough to not get latched onto and tossed around, which is also in part due to his good low center of gravity. I don't think he'll straight up overpower anyone, but he's too quick and active for blockers to really square up and he generates considerable explosion without too much downhill momentum at his back, so he'll be able to jar bigger offensive linemen before they can get behind their pads. 

The big negative Ive heard on Smith is that once a blocker gets ahold of him, he can't disengage. He gets swallowed up easily unless he gets there first which may not be the case with the speed of the nfl. 

I'm a bit cautious on the Payne hype. Outside of the 2 bowl games, he is a good DT who is athletic and great passing rushing chops but was  invisible from time to time and struggled when doubled teamed.

Vea on the other hand is dominant against the run and according to most draft sites has the (some) ability to rush the passer.

Given we have the worst run stopping D in the league but rank among the top in the pass rushing department, logic suggest we take the guy that immediately improve our weakest spot but who can also provide help in the collapsing the pocket. Getting another pass rusher is great but if we can't stop the run well... I certainly do not enjoy teams running up and down on our D. 

6 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Anyone know why Roquan Smith didn't do the bench press?  This kid is growing on me but I would like to see what kind of strength he has,

Vea looks like a beast, runs a 5.1 forty and did 41 reps on the bench.

wow 225 41 times?? thats incredible.

Watching game tape on both Vae and Payne I just don't think either is worth it at #13. Vae is an inconsistent player who will be dominant one snap then do nothing for a while. And it isn't just a technique thing or him being suddenly triple teamed. The guy just doesn't seem to play hard on every snap. He'll be a force and then he'll barely seem to be making an effort. That's a huge red flag. If it is only a conditioning issue then that can be fixed. If it is a motivation/attitude issue then stay way the hell away. Very limited pass rush moves and basically just relies on his size and strength.

As far as Payne he's very explosive off the snap, seems to track the ball relatively well, disengages from single blockers pretty well, and has some decent pass rushing chops. However, he never seems to actually get to the QB when he pass rushes. Maybe it's a technique thing, I dunno. But I'll see a nice move but then he just never gets there. Maybe it's lack of counter moves. But the numbers speak for themselves: the guy has 3 sacks in 3 years and only 5 TFL; he just doesn't seem to get into the backfield and make plays that often. Compare that to Allen who had 27.5 sacks and 41.5 TFL in his last 3 seasons. Stats are obviously not the end all be all but those are alarmingly low for a guy you're thinking about drafting at #13 overall. 

Another issue with Payne is that he gets taken out by double teams relatively easily. He just doesn't seem to have the size or moves to move them or split them. He almost always gets pushed back by them and becomes invisible. He has a great motor and is explosive but that isn't enough. And it isn't just T/G or G/C combo blocks, as I've seen him get taken out of plays by TE chip blocks as well. I think he'll be a pretty solid rotational NFL player but I don't see him as a difference maker and that's what you're looking for when taking a DL guy in the top half of the 1st round.

1 hour ago, bedlamVR said:

Doesn’t Roquan Smith have a shoulder issue ? ( as to why he did not do the bench ) ? 

He was absent from spring football last year because he had an injury. He came back from that to play during the season but was unable to work on the injury. 

If I understand it right. If you have a I injury on a shoulder, you need to give it a rest and after that build back the strength in the mussels. That second part wasn't possible for him because during football season he needed to focus on football instead of working on that part of his shoulder. So after this season ended he started with working on the shoulder to get it back in prime shape. 

I did read something along those lines .. i would not be concerned so much if I was Smith I am sure I can wait until pro day to lift ... 

the one one thing about Payne is ... one ... he has an awesome name for a DLineman but secondly I wonder if some of his issues are to do with his overly aggressive style and with the tight coaching he might be more effective . I would be happier taking payne in the mid 20s but I just get the feeling unless these guys (Payne and  Vea) start blowing people away interviews then they are going to be scrutinised to death and slip towards the end of the first and maybe into the second ( as  Reed etc did a few years ago) 

i think the first round is going to be all about QBs and LBs and I feel WRs are going to go earlier than they should because free agent crop look so sparse ... 

Here is a good example of Payne and Vea. Playing against decent college competition. Both teams squaring off. Jonathan Allen is also in the game. One of the 3 shows up regularly. The other two? Not so much. This is what can be seen on most of the film that can be found on all three guys on a regular basis. Don't believe the hype!

7 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/3/14737180/nfl-combine-results-records-best-ever

just read - Justin Ernest, Eastern Kentucky, 1999: The combine’s all-time bench record: 51 reps.

I couldn't do 5.1 push-ups...

I think I could still handle that. 

I'd need a break at half-way to refuel and recover though. That still counts right?

Hail. 

32 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

The Skins won't do it but they REALLY should select DJ Moore at 13.

Imo, he's a bona fide number one receiver.

I don't know how I'd feel about that. We do need a receiver, but the biggest thing we are missing on offense is speed.

Moore ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds and had the second-best vertical jump among receivers at 39.5 inches at the NFL Combine. Moore continues to boost his stock with each event at the combine, testing at or near the top of his position in nearly every drill to this point.

11 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't know how I'd feel about that. We do need a receiver, but the biggest thing we are missing on offense is speed.

Moore ran the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds and had the second-best vertical jump among receivers at 39.5 inches at the NFL Combine. Moore continues to boost his stock with each event at the combine, testing at or near the top of his position in nearly every drill to this point.

Yeah, we do need speed and Moore's 4.42 fits that need.

I'll go out on a limb and say Moore is better than ANY receiver currently on our roster.

Archived