Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

Listening to Keim, Finlay, Standig

as for the draft

They really really like Josh Jackson, CB

They had a formal meeting with Ronald Jones (formal meetings are a bigger deal than the typical informal meets that happen there)

Billy Price

Josey Jowell

Standig hears they are looking RB in the draft.  Keim is stuck on Crowell in FA but said they might pass on him and go for the draft, instead.

It's a little weird when you see things like this on Josh Jackson.  Could that chatter about him from us be misdirection garbage?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/139172/josh-jackson

NFL.com Analyst Bucky Brooks listed Iowa CB Josh Jackson as one of the "losers" of Day 4 of the NFL Scouting Combine.
Jackson posted a 4.56 40 yard dash on Monday, which ranks among the bottom third of cornerbacks who participated. While that number doesn't help, it was the struggles on the field in Indianapolis that troubled Brooks. "He didn't look comfortable with his turns and transitions, and his upright stance could be an issue as a young player," Brooks wrote. "While most scouts will trust the evaluations compiled off film study, this disappointing showing is a definite setback for the potential first-rounder heading into the pro day circuit." Mar 5 - 5:41 PM

Unless he has a stellar pro-day, Josh Jackson pretty much ran himself out of the top-15.

EDIT: Also, I've changed my tune on Saquon Barkley. This guy is an absolute stud. Probably the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. If the Browns are dumb enough to pass on him, they deserve to be in the pit of misery for eternity.

The Giants won't be that stupid, and you can pretty much guarantee us being NFC East basement dwellers for 10 years.

I would be happy to see us trade out of the 1st round completely with 2 trade backs.

-From 13 to (/17/18/19 ish) and add a 2nd. For this scenario will trade back with the Chargers at 17.

-Then ideally trade that 17th pick to the Browns for there top 2 second rounders and there 3rd. Making our first 3 rounds look like......

1st round N/A. 

2nd round 1 (33) from Browns, 3 (35) from Browns, 12 (44) Redskins. 17 (48) from Chargers. 

3rd round 1 (65) from Browns.

Give me.

2nd round.

33) Leighton Vander Esch. ILB. Boise St. (Will be a stud. Has all the height,weight speed, and instincts to be a staple in the middle for years to come).

35) Derrius Guice. RB LSU. (The RB that we have all been waiting for).

44) Mason Rudolph. QB. Oklahoma St. (The future). 

48) Tim Settle. DT/NT. Virginia Tech. (Run stopping machine to finally anchor the middle).

3rd round.

65) (Best WR available). Cane/ Pettis/ Washington/ Sutton / Moore. (Get our guy opposite Doctson so Crowder can stay in the slott).

1 hour ago, skins2victory said:

I would be happy to see us trade out of the 1st round completely with 2 trade backs.

-From 13 to (/17/18/19 ish) and add a 2nd. For this scenario will trade back with the Chargers at 17.

-Then ideally trade that 17th pick to the Browns for there top 2 second rounders and there 3rd. Making our first 3 rounds look like......

1st round N/A. 

2nd round 1 (33) from Browns, 3 (35) from Browns, 12 (44) Redskins. 17 (48) from Chargers. 

3rd round 1 (65) from Browns.

Give me.

2nd round.

33) Leighton Vander Esch. ILB. Boise St. (Will be a stud. Has all the height,weight speed, and instincts to be a staple in the middle for years to come).

35) Derrius Guice. RB LSU. (The RB that we have all been waiting for).

44) Mason Rudolph. QB. Oklahoma St. (The future). 

48) Tim Settle. DT/NT. Virginia Tech. (Run stopping machine to finally anchor the middle).

3rd round.

65) (Best WR available). Cane/ Pettis/ Washington/ Sutton / Moore. (Get our guy opposite Doctson so Crowder can stay in the slott).

I would be very pleased with that collection of players despite the Rudolph pick. I don't want him. 

11 hours ago, HigSkin said:

It's a little weird when you see things like this on Josh Jackson.  Could that chatter about him from us be misdirection garbage?

NFL.com Analyst Bucky Brooks listed Iowa CB Josh Jackson as one of the "losers" of Day 4 of the NFL Scouting Combine.
Jackson posted a 4.56 40 yard dash on Monday, which ranks among the bottom third of cornerbacks who participated. While that number doesn't help, it was the struggles on the field in Indianapolis that troubled Brooks. "He didn't look comfortable with his turns and transitions, and his upright stance could be an issue as a young player," Brooks wrote. "While most scouts will trust the evaluations compiled off film study, this disappointing showing is a definite setback for the potential first-rounder heading into the pro day circuit." Mar 5 - 5:41 PM

Not good as far as Combine is concerned.  We as Skin fans should be concerned.  

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim, Finlay, Standig

as for the draft

They really really like Josh Jackson, CB

They had a formal meeting with Ronald Jones (formal meetings are a bigger deal than the typical informal meets that happen there)

Billy Price

Josey Jowell

Standig hears they are looking RB in the draft.  Keim is stuck on Crowell in FA but said they might pass on him and go for the draft, instead.

I'm concerned about Price's injury and if it something that could hamper him later down the road.  I don't know.  I loved the kid before the injury and had him on my wishlist of players to draft as he can play both OG/C.  Josey Jowell is another guy I like.  Ronald Jones is in the middle of the pack as there are other RB's I like if they are available when we decide to choose a RB.  Josh Jackson had a dismal Combine.  

I'm assuming we trade back. Bruce love trading back. Then he doesn't have to pay rookies as much. He said we would have last year, if Allen didn't drop to us. 13 is a great place to be to do it, especially if any of those QBs drop to us.

Unless someone falls, Edmund, Fitz, James, etc, I think we're dropping back.

22 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If one of the blue-chippers is there in the first, there's no way i'm trading back... If this team were to pass on say Roquan Smith just for extra picks, then enjoy being dog**** in the division for many more years.

There is a lot of talent in this draft.  You have a better chance of nailing the right player with the more picks you have in the 1st two rounds if you trade down and make a wise trade than you do with that one lone pick in the 1st.  JMO.  :) 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

There is a lot of talent in this draft.  You have a better chance of nailing the right player with the more picks you have in the 1st two rounds if you trade down and make a wise trade than you do with that one lone pick in the 1st.  JMO.  :) 

It's a tough call.  The fan base still has unpleasant memories of trading out of the first and having the Skins use their second round picks on three complete busts.

To get a trade down that far the Skins are going to have to pass on someone that they otherwise like.  Hopefully its a great player that doesn't fit any need and they can justify passing on a potential impact player.  There are obviously lower round rookies that dramatically outplay first round picks.  So I agree that all else being equal it's better to get more picks in the second and third rounds.  It all depends on where the scouts see the talent drop-offs.  How big a difference between the first and third ILB; second and fourth OG; first and fourth DT etc.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If one of the blue-chippers is there in the first, there's no way i'm trading back... If this team were to pass on say Roquan Smith just for extra picks, then enjoy being dog**** in the division for many more years.

This is something I struggle with.  As @RWJsaid, there’s a lot of talent in rounds 1-3.  We have a bunch of areas to address, so having more picks there could be the right way to go.  I also like the setup for us with a trade back.  Runningback, receiver, oline come into play as legit possibilities.  For example, you’d feel better about taking Guice (or Moore?) in the later 1st, particularly if you added a 2nd or 3rd to address other spots.  

Also depends on how FA goes.  If we re-sign Brown, Smith becomes a redundant use of (limited) resources.  Same deal if we sign Joyner and Fitzpatrick drops to us, or if we sign Pugh/Norwell and Nelson drops.  

Now if we sign a cheaper vet at ILB, FS/corner, or OG, then picking Smith/Fitzpatrick/Nelson is still redundant, but obviously less so and they would be a clear upgrade.  

Could totally backfire on us though if we pass on one of these guys that drops.  Of course, if a blue chipper falls to us, we also have a better shot at a trade back.  

It will be interesting to see what our FA moves signal/dictate.  

40 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

It's a tough call.  The fan base still has unpleasant memories of trading out of the first and having the Skins use their second round picks on three complete busts.

To get a trade down that far the Skins are going to have to pass on someone that they otherwise like.  Hopefully its a great player that doesn't fit any need and they can justify passing on a potential impact player.  There are obviously lower round rookies that dramatically outplay first round picks.  So I agree that all else being equal it's better to get more picks in the second and third rounds.  It all depends on where the scouts see the talent drop-offs.  How big a difference between the first and third ILB; second and fourth OG; first and fourth DT etc.

What you are talking about is the Vinny Cerrato era.  I think this group of scouts and directors are a better.  They're not Go Pros yet but they are much better than Vinny, IMO.  

14 hours ago, HigSkin said:

First thing I thought was we'd love this guy's production and had a flash back to David Amerson. Means nothing I guess :ols:

Popping in to be Debbie downer here in the trade down expectations. It’s very rare to find a partner let alone 2 to trade with in round 1, especially for high level compensation. To re-set expectations, here’s what you would get in the above scenario of 2 trade downs. 

1. 13 to LAC gets you #17

- most likely: 3rd

- conservative: 4th + 5th

- least likely: 2nd

1. 17 to Cleveland

- most likely: 33 and 64(2nd) + 4th

- conservative: 33 + 65 (3rd)

- least likely: 33 + 35, let alone another pick, unless for a QB, then maybeeeee

the truth is you rarely win the “trade chart” value in a trade down unless it’s for a QB. Which it obviously could be in the right scenario. But 2 trade downs is unlikely.

... Historically, dropping 4-8 picks in the mid-1st round only gets a 3rd at best compensation 

... dropping into the 20’s is where you start to get an “even” trade value and get a 2nd included. 

... only way I could see getting a boatload of picks is if we trade with Buffalo and it’s for a QB. Then I could see getting #21 and at least one of their late 2nd rounders. Most likely would be a 1-2-3 from them for 13 and that’s assuming it’s for a QB. Or a 1-2 and a 2 next year. Or a 1-3 and a 1 next year. 

... and Cleveland. If they pass on QB and go Barkley+Fitzpatrick at 1/4 and they move back in for say, Mayfield if he falls to 13. Then I could see going from 13 to 33 and getting 35 and a 3rd or 4th (or future 2nd)

FWIW the trade value of 33+35 is about equal to our pick at 13. If it’s for a QB I could see getting their other 2nd or their first In the 3rd. But most likely it would be their first in the 4th, if we were to get an extra pick. Just depends on how desperate they’d be to jump Arizona 

Probably best-case for us in a trade down is if no one trades up from below us to ahead of us. AKA Arizona going from 15 to say, 5. Then having 3 QBs go off the board (NYJ, DEN, CLE) and having someone like Buffalo feel the need to trade up for the last of the stop 4 ahead of Arizona. 

If Arizona trades up which people have predicted ... and CLE+DEN+NYJ+ARI go QB then it’s lore likely someone like Buffalo trades up to 8-10 to secure the 5th QB (Jackson), eliminating the need for anyone to trade to 13 for the 6th off the board 

Stick with me here. Let’s assume Minnesota gets Cousins, Denver gets Keemun, Cleveland gets McCarron. mcCarron and Keenum won’t prevent their new teams from drafting a QB at all. Cousins will obv. 

Cleveland - Rosen 

NYG - Barkley 

NYJ - Darnold

Cleveland - Fitzpatrick

Denver - Barkley

Indianapolis - Chubb

Tampa Bay - Nelson

Chicago - Ridley

San Fran - Ward

Oakland - Smith

Miami - McGlinchey

Cincinatti - Williams 

*WAS fielding offers from ARI and BUF and maybe PIT to move up for Allen or Jackson 

hear case for us IMO. And we’d be backing out of a blu chipper in James or Guice or Edmunds

going from 13 to 15 there will keep you from losing out as GB likely goes Edmunds Davenport or CB at 14 but only dropping 2 spots will at best get you their 3rd unless they’re convinced you’re gonna trade with Buffalo. But in that instance they’d probably want to secure their man higher up, say at 10, and if they’re gonna part with a 2, then they do it earlier to not play chicken with us at 13 and overpay for 13 if that makes sense

Trading down is not likely this year IMO. I'm thinking if a team is looking to trade up for a QB, it will likely be before pick 13. However, I would actually prefer that as a run of QBs would likely push some blue-chip prospects down the line.

In addition to it not being likely, it is something that I wouldn't prefer. What this team desperately needs is difference makers. We have arguably only one  blue-chipper right now (Trent Williams) and the nature of his position is often one that if you don't hear his name come up, he's doing a good job. BPA at 13 is a must this year. If needed, use that second rounder to reach for a position of need that is not filled through free agency. Likely think we end up with with either Fitzpatrick, James, whichever LB drops, or perhaps a Corner. 

I love the draft because it's an exciting time, but then I hate it, because it showcases how we just can't draft elite talent. Of course Bruce and Co. like trading back, it makes them look like they have a plan. 

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Cleveland - Rosen 

NYG - Barkley 

NYJ - Darnold

Cleveland - Fitzpatrick

Denver - Barkley

Indianapolis - Chubb

Tampa Bay - Nelson

Chicago - Ridley

San Fran - Ward

Oakland - Smith

Miami - McGlinchey

Cincinatti - Williams 

*WAS fielding offers from ARI and BUF and maybe PIT to move up for Allen or Jackson 

So are there two guys named Barkley or is he getting drafted twice? 

15 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Unless he has a stellar pro-day, Josh Jackson pretty much ran himself out of the top-15.

EDIT: Also, I've changed my tune on Saquon Barkley. This guy is an absolute stud. Probably the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. If the Browns are dumb enough to pass on him, they deserve to be in the pit of misery for eternity.

The Giants won't be that stupid, and you can pretty much guarantee us being NFC East basement dwellers for 10 years.

Ehh, disagree about the Giants... Eli is done, QB should be their #1 concern. They saw some flashes out of Gallman last year, so I can't imagine that they'd pass up their choice of QB. I don't imagine that they plan on being in this draft position again any time soon.

19 minutes ago, skinsfan834 said:

Trading down is not likely this year IMO. I'm thinking if a team is looking to trade up for a QB, it will likely be before pick 13. However, I would actually prefer that as a run of QBs would likely push some blue-chip prospects down the line.

Exactly, just like last year. I can't remember the last draft where we had so many wish-list players available at our 1st round pick. 

I'd like to develop a QB behind Smith, but given his extension, I don't want us to waste even a 7th round pick on a QB in the next two drafts.

Archived