Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Watching Face the Nation and it’s easy to see why people hate the media. One poll in Iowa from last night and they immediately embrace the shy Trump voter theory. One poll out of thousands. 

it's also getting coverage because it's been a long time very respected poll by all the media for a long time and often gets individually cited...but of course the 'attention-getting' needs of all media are ever in play, sadly, anyway 

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Watching Face the Nation and it’s easy to see why people hate the media. One poll in Iowa from last night and they immediately embrace the shy Trump voter theory. One poll out of thousands. 

Well, I think Iowa stays red, but that poll is heavily skewed.  It is supposed to be a good poll.

The problem with fighting Covid is that you have an entire media empire willing to spread disinformation for political reasons.  You also had Trump making this a red state vs blue state issue and has poisoned the well so badly on this issue I am not sure how realistic it is that Biden comes in and unites people around the issue without help from red state governors.  It really has to start with leadership across the aisle embracing a plan that acknowledges the science first.  Then they can come up with plans that make sense.  

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

It was the same **** in 2016.

IMO the "mainstream" media was just as complicit in Trump ending up in the WH as conservative media because they gave him credibility and kept plastering him all over their shows without calling him out as the racist ****bag he clearly was (and still is). They played a ton of both-side-ism which helped to elevate Trump's clearly malevolent and disgusting brand of politics into the mainstream by essentially putting it on equal footing with your (then) normal Republican and Democratic politics.

And to this day, every once in a while, 4 ****ing years later, they STILL will pull the "Trump is finally becoming presidential" routine if he gives a speech without screaming at the clouds. It's pathetic. 

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

it's also getting coverage because it's been a long time very respected poll by all the media for a long time and often gets individually cited...but of course the 'attention-getting' needs of all media are ever in play, sadly, anyway 

I was reading a breakdown on it last night. It’s reasonable for Iowa to go red. I wonder if the media ever reflects on why they aren’t trusted. 

4 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Well, I think Iowa stays red, but that poll is heavily skewed.  It is supposed to be a good poll.

I expect that too and all I want is for Biden to get to 270. It’s trying to extrapolate a narrative from one poll of 800 people. 

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It was the same **** in 2016.

IMO the "mainstream" media was just as complicit in Trump ending up in the WH as conservative media because they gave him credibility and kept plastering him all over their shows without calling him out as the racist ****bag he clearly was (and still is). They played a ton of both-side-ism which helped to elevate Trump's clearly malevolent and disgusting brand of politics into the mainstream by essentially putting it on equal footing with your (then) normal Republican and Democratic politics.

And to this day, every once in a while, 4 ****ing years later, they STILL will pull the "Trump is finally becoming presidential" routine if he gives a speech without screaming at the clouds. It's pathetic. 

they are pushing a narrative that Trump doing all these rallies could be the difference and help Trump win. Suburban woman aren’t changing their minds cause if any rally. It’s just nuts to even suggest that but they certainly do.

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's ridiculous how some of these networks go out of their way to try and normalize Trump compared to what Fox and others do to portray Biden on their networks. There is little to nothing about Biden that seems to be outside the mainstream of America.  It doesn't mean there aren't people who are to the left or right of him, but for the most part he is a prototypical "normal centrist" contrast that with a lunatic who doesn't really even appear to have much ideology of his own beyond "what can I do to make myself more wealthy" 

They call it herd immunity. I call it thinning the herd.

If we shut everything down for one month, give people money to survive including rent/mortgage, food and medical, invoke the National Defense Act to manufacture healthcare goods and what we need, support local small businesses until we can reopen safely, and institute a mask mandate everywhere, we can get control of Covid. I don't want to see a penny going to millionaires and billionaires and big businesses.

Americans came together in WWII with rationing and everything else that was done to win that war. We can do it again, if we relinquish selfishness.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

It's ridiculous how some of these networks go out of their way to try and normalize Trump compared to what Fox and others do to portray Biden on their networks. There is little to nothing about Biden that seems to be outside the mainstream of America.  It doesn't mean there aren't people who are to the left or right of him, but for the most part he is a prototypical "normal centrist" contrast that with a lunatic who doesn't really even appear to have much ideology of his own beyond "what can I do to make myself more wealthy" 

I think part of it is also that CNN and other mainstream outlets have been so absolutely pounded to death by a focused coalition of conservative media for decades over being "biased" that they're now so terrified of even appearing biased in any way, that they'll let a guy like Trump get away with the **** he did while normalizing him.

The right wing media steam roller of the last several decades has been one of the most all encompassing awful things that has ever happened to this country IMO. 

16 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If we shut everything down for one month, give people money to survive including rent/mortgage, food and medical, invoke the National Defense Act to manufacture healthcare goods and what we need, support local small businesses until we can reopen safely, and institute a mask mandate everywhere, we can get control of Covid. I don't want to see a penny going to millionaires and billionaires and big businesses.

Americans came together in WWII with rationing and everything else that was done to win that war. We can do it again, if we relinquish selfishness.

Yep.  That is what that original stimulus and PPE loan program *SHOULD HAVE* been.  Alleviating the economic anxiety associated with a shutdown.  The conservative false narrative of "omg people want to go back to work, they will lose all meaning in life" was a complete spin job on the fact that people wanted to go back to work largely because all their bills were going to stack up without any kind of relief.   If the gov't would have stepped up in a time of crisis, provided for it's people and small businesses instead of doing what they always do, throw the masses some crumbs while allowing fortune 500 corporations and the wealthy to fleece everyone else? (I remember a story of a business taking the PPE loan funds and instead of using it to backfill payroll, spent it on a huge billboard endorsing Trump)  Trump likely sails to re-election easily despite every other horrible thing about him.  That is what most other westernized countries did, it is what America had the most actual resources to do, but refused.  The wealthy got a lot more wealthy though, so business as usual. 

44 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

AMEN!  My grandparents told me all about having to sacrifice for that war, and we're just being asked to limit our exposure to others!  (which I have no problem with). 

Just now, China said:

If the margin of error is 4 points, then it could be as slim as a 3 point lead, thus a slight lead.

anything outside margin of error is more than a slight lead. Otherwise the media needs to say a whole bunch more states fall in the slight lead category. 

9 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

**** the GOP for even bringing this to court

No ****. My jaw dropped when I saw that one. They were barely hiding it before, but I guess at this point they're just like "**** it. YOLO" and have thrown even pretending to try and hide what they're trying to do to the curb. ****ing assholes. 

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

anything outside margin of error is more than a slight lead. Otherwise the media needs to say a whole bunch more states fall in the slight lead category. 

I would agree that more probably should be called slight leads.  Technically, anything within the margin of error is a toss-up.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No ****. My jaw dropped when I saw that one. They were barely hiding it before, but I guess at this point they're just like "**** it. YOLO" and have thrown even pretending to try and hide what they're trying to do to the curb. ****ing assholes. 

The good news is temporary for now, as I am pretty sure a Federal appeal is coming tomorrow in front of conservative judge.   The irony here is no one knows who the 100,000 votes are for so this case is about democracy staying in-tact and not about being a Dem or Repub.

That is the best damn news for me today!!! I don't know if ya'll can tell, but I go from Bruce Banner to the Incredible Hulk (at least in my mind) on a whim. So, I've shown frustration with this whole process, but so far, with the voting issues I've been stressed about, if I just waited for the system to run it's course before getting stressed, depressed or angry, I would have been totally normal and even keeled this whole time.

Archived