Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So, considering that much of Europe is entering a 2nd round of lockdowns, do you think that if Joe Biden is elected that we are going to get national lockdowns?

By the time he takes office it would be too late to implement a lockdown. We should be doing that right now.

Just now, Springfield said:

So, considering that much of Europe is entering a 2nd round of lockdowns, do you think that if Joe Biden is elected that we are going to get national lockdowns?

No. Seems legally murky and would end up in the courts right away. Any lockdown will have to be initiated at the state level and don't see that happening again. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Maybe.  The next couple of months are going to be brutal, I don’t want to think how bad things will get if Trump wins.

A lot of people don't "get" that polling is exactly the same dynamic as gathering/processing intel- it is not about facts or determining/predciting what will happen, it is about establishing a spectrum of possibilities and assigning some rough values of likelihood. Intel will never tell you what will happen, it does tell you what can happen and allow prudent preparation, and give you hints on where to focus your efforts.

There are a lot of different things in play right now. The energy and passion on the left/Democratic/progressive/not rabid side is not focused on Biden personally, he is not running a cult of personality campaign. The fact that the attention is more diffuse does not mean it is less powerful, mainly that it is more directed at representing the views and needs of their supporters and empowering them to demand actual representation as opposed to the "vote for our team" aspect shown at dumbass' rallies. The right/Repub/Trumpy/morlock crowds are out screaming in the cold to stoke a fire they themselves are not warmed by, it is all outside>in to the center, and as such generates a **** ton of noise but is not convincing others to join in.

A Biden/Harris event ends and people are still milling around, talking, laughing, discussing the event and interacting in a positive manner. Even the central figures stay late talking and answering questions. Trump blows into town, holds an event at the airport so it doesn't cost them anything, and as soon as he leaves the noise dies down and the "event" is over. Those attending wander off in the dark and cold wondering where they left their cars. I have seen multiple images/videos of these stragglers traipsing down the road back to the parking lots, and I noticed that in none of them did I see anyone stop and offer anyone a lift. They drive by saying "Sucks to be you" and roll on down the road. To their brethren. To those who supposedly hold their values so dearly. 

I DO expect the Repubs to pull out all the stops to try and invalidate ballots and lie/cheat/steal in any way imaginable to retain control. There is no line, no bottom, they've shown just how crass and criminal they are willing to be. That's a given. What does matter is that a huge amount of that will have to happen on the micro-scale, up close and personal, locally, from and to people that know each other and just might flinch at the thought of pulling 20 years in Allentown. People that don't have federal troops guarding the door or the safe distance of wealth of privilege that will allow them to act without consequences.

All politics are local

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

1)  I think that some form of restrictions are justified right now.  I'd rather they not be simply imposed by Presidential Decree, for constitutional reasons.  But yes, for example, if the CDC says that shutting down restaurants to takeout only sure feels like the Public Good.  

2)  Biden cannot take office till January.  Things are gonna look a lot different by then.  (Probably a lot worse.)  

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

By the time he takes office it would be too late to implement a lockdown. We should be doing that right now.

1 minute ago, Cooked Crack said:

No. Seems legally murky and would end up in the courts right away. Any lockdown will have to be initiated at the state level and don't see that happening again. 

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Maybe.  The next couple of months are going to be brutal, I don’t want to think how bad things will get if Trump wins.

Well these three completely different responses leaves me less confident than I was before I asked.

I'm already looking to be down nearly 20% over the year on my personal pay. I don't want to know what's going to happen if we go into a national lockdown. I'll certainly be forced to furlough or lay off employees that I don't want to. 

I'm already looking to be down nearly 20% over the year on my personal pay. I don't want to know what's going to happen if we go into a national lockdown. I'll certainly be forced to furlough or lay off employees that I don't want to. 

You know, there's this thing I've heard of, where the government helps out workers who are losing money due to virus restrictions.  And right now, I think the US government can borrow money for 10 year terms of 0.8% interest?  

I got no problem at all with running trillion dollar deficits during nation-threatening crises.  

Just now, Larry said:

You know, there's this thing I've heard of, where the government helps out workers who are losing money due to virus restrictions.  And right now, I think the US government can borrow money for 10 year terms of 0.8% interest?  

I got no problem at all with running trillion dollar deficits during nation-threatening crises.  

I'm not unemployed, not underemployed. I'm not a business owner, just a manager. I get paid partly on business performance. When the business doesn't perform, I lose money. Also, I'm unwilling to borrow money to make up for missed pay.

I'm not unemployed, not underemployed. I'm not a business owner, just a manager. I get paid partly on business performance. When the business doesn't perform, I lose money. Also, I'm unwilling to borrow money to make up for missed pay.

I wasn't proposing that the government loan you money.  I'm proposing that the government throw buckets of money into the economy, to prop it up for a year or so.  

Yes, I'm aware that doing so will not perfectly balance the impact on every individual.  But it would hopefully help the economy in general terms.  

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Biden probably won’t do a national lockdown, but he might do something with masks and getting supplies around the country and better messaging and coordinating with the states on their various restrictions. 

My hope, and what I would do as president, is provide PPE, make testing much, MUCH easier/convenient and help the areas where hotspots pop up. As we've learned already, it's generally moving from area to area. It already seems like the cold weather is going to amplify things. 

2 minutes ago, visionary said:

Biden probably won’t do a national lockdown, but he might do something with masks and getting supplies around the country and better messaging and coordinating with the states on their various restrictions. 

I'd at least try that first.  Un-muzzle the CDC, and see if that's enough to get the states and localities to do what needs to be done.  

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

My hope, and what I would do as president, is provide PPE, make testing much, MUCH easier/convenient and help the areas where hotspots pop up. As we've learned already, it's generally moving from area to area. It already seems like the cold weather is going to amplify things. 

National Defense act to make PPEs here for every American. Require masks and increased distancing on all federal land and in all Fed buildings. I don't think a national mask mandate would be accepted by some states. So, encourage those who will do it and help build fire breaks that way. 

Goal one should be to get rapid response saliva testing readily available so that people can prophylactically take one multiple times a week.

We may need a shutdown again, but I would imagine Biden would try to coordinate with locality as much as possible, only going for national shutdown as a last resort.  And any shutdown would have to be coupled with massive stimulus package (which we'll need and probably get even without a shutdown).

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Maybe a federal standard for reporting Covid statistics and data.  (Force DeSantis to quit doctoring the Florida numbers.)  

2 hours ago, airborneskins said:

I wouldnt get too confident in your 340+ number.  I have been to a number of rallies or both candidates. I can tell you first hand that the enthusiasm really isnt there at Biden's rallies.  On the other hand, when I am at one of Trump's rallies it really does feel like a rock concert.  The energy is just through the roof (if there were roofs at outdoor events).

For the record, i am an independent voter, and my job requires me to travel to, and work security for these events.  For those that have been around here for awhile, you guys know which way that I tend to lean.  This year was a little tougher to decide, however, when I answered the question (honestly) if I was better off now than I was 4 years ago, it wasnt that hard of a decision.

I don't put much stock into rallies when it comes to gauging enthusiasm. Pick the right area and of course it'll look enthusiastic. Having lived in Butler county in PA for 5 years I know it's heavy Republican, on the scary side, and they'll vote for anything with an "R" next to its name. They were just as jacked up for McCain/Palin and Romney/Ryan when I lived there. 

for all the naturally increased tensions (impressive that's still possible but it is) in these final days of the vote i suggest folks pace themselves as we aren't at an end to stressful trumpy political issues even if joe wins, but also take time to really vent and/or decompress as needed, safely or close to safely :ols:

keep in mind that the days and weeks---likely months---after the 3rd will still be full of serious obstructive crap and other issues that will be big even if trump is solidly beat, let alone 'loses a close one'...be resolved, don't forget to rotate stoicism with spazzing to balance 

meditate, be still, and practice breathing techniques, but also yell (when alone preferably---yelling at most of the talking heads on 'both sides' is recommended) and break things (inexpensive and inanimate)

i think of what others have gone through in the past, or what many do now, to advance the vision of a republic that's truly free, decent, prosperous, and safe for all, and actually applies equality of treatment of people across all its institutions...and i see that as the bar to meet

the--imv---sick-headed and sizable percentage of the population who find ways to justify voting for and supporting this vile malevolent (murderous) orange pos (let alone like/love him) aren't all going to all die afterwards or have some redeeming brain change after the 3rd...and the trump-centric sewage that is the gop now isn't "ending" after the 3rd or after the date the vote is settled either way....and all this will likely continue to seriously challenge and drain the energy of many who oppose trumpdom in all its ugly

so ya meet the challenge no matter the wear and tear cuz there is no other acceptable alternative

but ya'all got this

Archived