Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post Franchise Tag 4pm Deadline Deal Or No Deal Fallout Thread

TK

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

72 million if he got hurt. Let's be clear on that.

Allen selected the terms he wanted to reference, so without seeing the full contract you can't really determine if it's fair. 

4 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Less than 18 hours until Kirk goes on the radio to give his side of the story.  After that press release, I can't imagine that he'll hold anything back.

I disagree.  Kirk is too disciplined for venting he will be very positive say he has always been happy with his contract and talk enthusiastically about the upcoming year.  Despite 2 hours of baiting Kirk Cousins will not be induced to say anything untoward. 

why air out the laundry? you think he's gonna wanna sign now??? really, regardless what he did or didn't say, you need to be the better person.  just when the front office was rock bottom handling the scott mc deal they go even deeper. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

4 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Don't think a LTD was getting signed with anyone, Kirk has mentioned how he loves the tag and his agent taught him to embrace it and here we are.  The more 1 year guaranteed deals you play under the more money you make.  In his position I would not sign any LTD until all 3 tags were used up.  I did not get this at first but it is just simple math, the tag actually works for the player in a way the league never intended and Kirk is the first one to figure it out.  Sucks for us but good on that man.

Brilliant move on his part with one caveat.  It can hurt the team's other players when their contracts are up but well played by Kirk.  Dude sure ain't no dummy.

Hail Em Up!

Hilarious stuff.

6 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

So classless. Fire Allen. Just as bad as Scott stuff. Nobody is going to want to deal with Allen now. He's toxic.

Fire Allen, hire an actual GM (bring Scott back?), repair the relationship with KC.

Well, at least he put his name to it this time. Why does Bruce still have a job? Is he really that important to the new stadium negotiations?

Just now, Veryoldschool said:

I disagree.  Kirk is too disciplined for venting he will be very positive say he has always been happy with his contract and talk enthusiastically about the upcoming year.  Despite 2 hours of baiting Kirk Cousins will not be induced to say anything untoward. 

Agreed.  Kirk's way too savvy and too decent a person to throw anyone in the FO under the bus.  But the truth will get out.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

$53 million is still more then Carr got.  I just don't get it.

That's the problem you don't get it.

From what I've seen the offer was below market value guaranteed money or not.

See Allen is sure to point out guaranteed money,but he hasn't said what he Offered  per year.

Maybe there's a reason for that not being mentioned.

Maybe Kirk also doesn't care about money like he said.

Maybe that's the hidden part of not caring about money. Maybe he just doesn't want to continue to work for the circus in town.

5 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Totally agree.

Kind of torn here.  If the numbers Allen is going public with are true and Kirk & his agent wouldn't even respond?  Then there is only one of two thing going on, either he wants to be paid something so astronomical that it makes zero sense to do it, or the guy simply doesn't want to be here.  I am going with the later.  I've said since the offseason begun that the missing knowledge in all of this was whether Kirk actually wanted to be the franchise QB of this team for the rest of his career or not.

With that said, Bruce Allen going public and throwing them under the bus was kind of classless too.  He could have gone about it in a much more neutral way to suggest that they will continue to work on keeping Kirk around.

Is it acceptable to be frustrated with all sides?

Here's a crazy idea...why don't we wait to see how Kirk plays this year.  If he plays great, shows progress, and we make the playoffs, then lets open up Snyder's bank account to sign him.   If, however, he puts up big yards, but we don't win many games, then it proves we need much more than a qb, so paying him big money wouldn't really be justified.  I  don't have a problem with how things were handled through all this. 

I dont understand what was so hard about this. this should have been the offer.

120 million over 5 and 70 million in guaranteed money

53 million in guaranteed money is 5 million less than he will get next year. How stuipd can the front office be

Just a refresher on draft picks wasted on QBs since 1999:

Brad Johnson - traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Todd Husak 6th

Sage Rosenfels 4th

Patrick Ramsey 1st

Danny Wuerffel - traded 7th

Mark Brunell - traded 3rd

Jason Campbell - 1, 3, 4th

Colt Brennan 7th

Jordan Palmer 7th

Donovan McGnat 3rd

RG3 - Three 1s and a 2

Kirk Cousins 4th

Nate Sudfield 6th

So that's 6 first rounders, 2 seconds, four 3rds, three 4ths, and some 6 and 7s, making up 19 picks in 18 years.

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I don't beleive it's meant to be got anymore.  Whether he left off the total amount of the contract or not is irrelevant, Kirk is betting on himself to get as much as possible and we won't give it to him if he can't win a playoff game.  We've probably alienated Cousins to the point he doesn't want to be here, but at this point, I don't really care anymore.  I don't see an LTD ever happening, might as well trade him for picks before trying to keep Cousins decimates our cap.

8 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I mean if he is getting to a price range that is just a detriment to the team... just move on. Flacco's contract destroyed the Ravens.

No, it didn't. 2-3 bad drafts in a row destroyed the Ravens (who are now bouncing back after hitting on some good defensive draft picks again)

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

From what I've seen the offer was below market value guaranteed money or not.

See Allen is sure to point out guaranteed money,but he hasn't said what he Offered  per year.

Maybe there's a reason for it.

Maybe Kirk also doesn't care about money like he said.

Maybe that's the hidden part of not caring about money. Maybe he just doesn't want to continue to work for everyone circus in town.

If the highest guarantee ever and the second paid player isn't market value then I don't know what is. If we offered more guaranteed than derek carr got a month ago then how can you say it's below market value?

also you simply cannot say that the cost of getting a second franchise tag dictates market value. This is a very rare exception to the norm. If he were tagged this year for the first time then he would be making 21 million. That would be market value.

8 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

He should feel free to give the full details of the contract the Redskins offered.  And also the contract he offered last year.

Whether Bruce threw Kirk and his agent under the bus really doesn't concern me. If Kirk and his agent get their feeling hurt then so be it. He doesn't want to be here anymore. I can say that it's going to be hard to root for a guy that I know deep down doesn't want to play for this franchise. I want to hear what Kirk has to  say for himself. 

Archived