Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post Franchise Tag 4pm Deadline Deal Or No Deal Fallout Thread

TK

I don't understand how this team maintains value and continues to pull revenue. There's only 4 or 5 teams that have been as bad as we have been consistently over the last 25 years, and yet we're still considered one of the big money making franchises. Speaks volumes for our fans and their loyalty to the Burgundy and Gold. The only positive thing these days I can think of about this franchise is us. 

14 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Don't think a LTD was getting signed with anyone, Kirk has mentioned how he loves the tag and his agent taught him to embrace it and here we are.  The more 1 year guaranteed deals you play under the more money you make.  In his position I would not sign any LTD until all 3 tags were used up.  I did not get this at first but it is just simple math, the tag actually works for the player in a way the league never intended and Kirk is the first one to figure it out.  Sucks for us but good on that man.

In a league where players get hurt or flame out quickly (Griffin, Sanchez) there is a lot to be said for a player getting as much as he can in the form of a bonus that a long term deal can provide. But year to year yeah no doubt the payout is larger.

8 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

OMG - Bruce Allen is still calling Kirk "Kurt"... 

At this point it seems to be blatant disrespect.

For the 100th time, like a lot of people from certain regions, he just cuts the word off and doesn't say the "k", so it sounds like he's ending it with a "t" sound. He isn't. There are enough reasons to hate Bruce without making up dumb ones, he knows the QBs name.

5 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

They might as well trade him. After the pathetic, half-assed negotiation this offseason, and with Allen releasing that garbage letter and throwing Kirk/his agent under the bus, there's zero chance he'll stick around. Zero.

Throwing him under the bus?  By finally giving us something to go by as far as what they offered.  Come on now.  They tried to make him the 2nd highest paid player in the league by annual salary (between Carr and Luck) and offered him 53 million guaranteed and 72 million guaranteed for injury.   And Kirk's agent never made any offers or contact since that was offered on May 2nd, but Bruce is the jerkoff?

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

I don't understand how this team maintains value and continues to pull revenue. There's only 4 or 5 teams that have been as bad as we have been consistently over the last 25 years, and yet we're still considered one of the big money making franchises. Speaks volumes for our fans and their loyalty to the Burgundy and Gold. The only positive thing these days I can think of about this franchise is us. 

We've had three winning seasons in the past 5 with two of those being division champs. This perception of our franchise being a joke is outdated.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't beleive it's meant to be got anymore.  Whether he left off the total amount of the contract or not is irrelevant, Kirk is betting on himself to get as much as possible and we won't give it to him if he can't win a playoff game.  We've probably alienated Cousins to the point he doesn't want to be here, but at this point, I don't really care anymore.  I don't see an LTD ever happening, might as well trade him for picks before trying to keep Cousins decimates our cap.

Yeah I don't know how you fix this disaster, but Allen running his mouth doesn't help.

That guy needs to go. He's a bum not sure why Snyder over and over again finds turds like this. 

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Throwing him under the bus?  By finally giving us something to go by as far as what they offered.  Come on now.  They tried to make him the 2nd highest paid player in the league by annual salary (between Carr and Luck) and offered him 53 million guaranteed and 72 million guaranteed for injury.   And Kirk's agent never made any offers or contact since that was offered on May 2nd, but Bruce is the jerkoff?

Well of the offer was sent in may it was before the Carr extension so it would have been in between Luck and whomever is second in terms of average (palmer?).

not like it makes a huge difference

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Is it acceptable to be frustrated with all sides?

I'm not arrogant enough to try to dictate how people feel of course, but imo it's not rational to feel frustrated towards both sides. The mere release of that statement pretty much proves that Cousins is justified in not wanting to sign here, even if that IS the case. Bruce just showed us an example why. 

$53 fully guaranteed is more than fair. That's more than Carr and Luck. It's also a combination of this years tag + next years transition tag. To say that is low is unfair. The total guarantee of $72 is also reasonable. Again more than Carr, but less than Luck. Having a lack of response from Kirk's agent tells you that there was no negotiating this year.

Again, I have no problem with whatever Kirk decides to do, but I can't crush the team for a lack of trying this year. Now, I don't know if throwing Kirk and his agent under the bus is the best idea, but the team was in a no lose situation regardless of how it was handled. Without the statement, they're killed for not being fair. With the statement, you're putting your QB in a bad situation.

It looks like BA and Dan have decided that Cousins is not going to sign here for any price so he released what they offered and people are going nuts blaming him?? $53M guaranteed and the second highest paid player in history on a yearly average and the Cousins camp doesn't even counter? Can't say that I blame the team. Place the blame where it belongs.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We've had three winning seasons in the past 5 with two of those being division champs. This perception of our franchise being a joke is outdated.

Have you not watched how we have handled our qb situation since 2012? It's a flat out embarrassment all around

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Clearly it's not, go to nfl.com and read about us. Those seasons should be looked at as flash in the pans not a model of future consistency. RGlll having the perfect system to play in and now Cousins are the only reasons we had those three winning seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Whether Bruce threw Kirk and his agent under the bus really doesn't concern me.

It should. The state of this FO is way bigger in the long term than anything going on with Cousins. Bruce sucks at his job, which is incredible since his title is vague enough to prevent me from even telling you exactly what that job is. 

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

That's the problem you don't get it.

From what I've seen the offer was below market value guaranteed money or not.

See Allen is sure to point out guaranteed money,but he hasn't said what he Offered  per year.

Maybe there's a reason for that not being mentioned.

Maybe Kirk also doesn't care about money like he said.

Maybe that's the hidden part of not caring about money. Maybe he just doesn't want to continue to work for the circus in town.

He said that it would have made Kirk the 2nd highest paid player in the league by annual salary, which means it would have been between $24,594,000 and $25,000,000 (Luck and Carr).  More guaranteed money than Carr ($53 million) making him the highest of any QB in NFL history.  Kirk cares about the money, which is why he loves the one year deals.  Because next year, they will have to tag him at $34 million or $28 million and then it drives up his potential future earnings.

Kirk is treating it like a business as he should.  Neither side is wrong on this, imo.  Redskins made him a great offer, Kirk/Agent declined to continue to maximize earnings.  He will either do that here or elsewhere as he can't keep playing on one year deals.

1 minute ago, DM72 said:

This is the only franchise I have seen in recent years that have no problems throwing the starting QB under 2 buses. First RGIII, now Cousins.

the first of those being one whom does not play in the NFL anymore

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Oh bohoo no more 9-7 seasons. My life is over!

With this defense the last 2 years how many teams would have went 9-7? 

I can already see what the next 3-5 years will look like: 

- Focus on building a powerful defense

- Reallocate funds to that side of the ball and see improvement

- Fan base gets starts getting excited about how close we are

- You get visited by the 2004 you and he tells you QB is an important position and that you can't consistently win with a revolving door of Ramsey/Brunell/Campbell/McNabb/Grossman/RG3... 

1 minute ago, mrredskin said:

lol, all of this hate towards Bruce Allen.  If all being said was true, this isn't on Bruce.  This is Cousins and his agent being entirely overvalued.

You still don't air it out. Do you not see that?

1 minute ago, RedBeast said:

And of course the Redskins and Bruce Allen are the first one on Twitter slinging ****ing mud

First GMSM

Second KC

That's a ****ing pattern

They've been doing this for years. These aren't the 1st two guys to get shown up here.

There have been a lot of coaches and players that have had a lot to say after this organization runs them over with the bus.

These aren't the 1st 2 and won't be the last 2 guys the Redskins tried to make look bad in the media.

Problem is we always blame the GM. I mean I agree Allen is a bum, but this isn't the 1st GM we've had problems with.

The guy at the top is the problem and has been the problem from day one.

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

And it's actually a negative, because it shows how ****ing stupid we are as a group to continue pouring our money into the team. 

But really it's not just us--the league is so popular as a whole and the broadcasting deals are so rich that even the smaller market bad teams are worth ten times more what they were worth in the 80s. 

Archived