Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Post Franchise Tag 4pm Deadline Deal Or No Deal Fallout Thread

TK

Granted mixed things have been said over time about Scot related to Kirk depending on the report but Id say about 80 percent of those narratives have been positive as to getting a deal done and Kirk is the guy.

The kicker to me was yesterday where he said Kirk is a top 10 qb. That to me is especially interesting in contrast to Doug's comment about Kirk being top 15.

My guess about the divide in the front office about Kirk's value was Jay was into giving Kirk market value versus Doug and Bruce. 

The more stuff slips out over time, the more it makes Keim and Jones and the WP narrative about what went down behind the scenes on the contract look to be true.   Though Doug's position has been a mystery in that regard. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think that one ended with a "meh" the Doug "promotion."  I dont sense much if at all fan enthusiasm about that one. Dan might be losing his nostalgia touch. He was once a master at it. :)

My guess is they think reporters won't have the balls to be openly critical of Redskins Royalty when a bad move is made.  No one wants to be the asshole who puts the nice guy, Super Bowl champ through the ringer in a public setting.

It's actually not a bad strategy, except that outwitting reporters doesn't lead to more wins on Sundays.

Press approval isn't what you should be basing your personnel decisions around.  

I hate to bump a thread that I'd like to just disappear, but the damn junkies this morning had to stoke the fire. Kirk sat down with Sal Paolintonio and said "I want to be a Redskins for life."

I'm not going to put too much weight into this, but after his trade deadline radio interview, I was firmly in the camp that he wants out of DC. And now going into the season, this may have just been the politically correct thing to say, but regardless, it was good to hear.

4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I hate to bump a thread that I'd like to just disappear, but the damn junkies this morning had to stoke the fire. Kirk sat down with Sal Paolintonio and said "I want to be a Redskins for life."

I'm not going to put too much weight into this, but after his trade deadline radio interview, I was firmly in the camp that he wants out of DC. And now going into the season, this may have just been the politically correct thing to say, but regardless, it was good to hear.

Kirk previously said he'd play on 10 1 year deals for the team and went into some deeper thoughts such as the history of QBs that stayed with one team their entire career, etc.  While some don't hear it, I've heard him say nice things about this team, the area, the coaches, even the owner just this offseason. 

I do believe he would have signed a LTD prior to the franchise tag with more guaranteed money.  But at this point I think its pretty clear that Kirk and his agent are using this unprecedented leverage to change the way NFL contracts are written moving forward. 

@BatteredFanSyndrome although I agree with you, I truly didn't intend on debating anything about Kirk and his agent and his leverage, etc. I'm just saying Kirk said something that I don't remember him saying before. I know early on this offseason he had a couple of positive remarks about staying here long-term, but I've never heard him say it so bluntly... Especially after the radio interview where he continually said he would leave next off-season in God's hands and wasn't thinking about anything beyond this season.

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

@BatteredFanSyndrome although I agree with you, I truly didn't intend on debating anything about Kirk and his agent and his leverage, etc. I'm just saying Kirk said something that I don't remember him saying before. I know early on this offseason he had a couple of positive remarks about staying here long-term, but I've never heard him say it so bluntly... Especially after the radio interview where he continually said he would leave next off-season in God's hands and wasn't thinking about anything beyond this season.

Kirk has always said he would like to stay here as along as the Redskins wants him. He has also said in the past he doesn't think about contracts and that is his agent's domain and that he rather concentrate/think about his play on the football field (which obviously dictate how his contract is written).

The only thing he has said this time that is new is that he would love to be a Redskins for life and some of the more successful QB have stayed with 1 franchise. So I do agree with him on that. When you start going from team to team you lose the chemistry you have developed between the players and the coaches and it becomes really hard to win on a consistence basis. We should lock him up next year. 

Archived