Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

TK

9 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

I wonder if Dan realizes that a failure to get a LTD for Cousins will also bring back all the backlash from Scot firing and all positivity earned from the draft will be lost (and likely credited to Scot). Plus, it's going to impact financials big time.

If he doesnt realize it hes a dumbass.  If he does realize it hes an asshole

Both are equally likely

2 minutes ago, kleese said:

Speak for yourself man. If we are 6-2, I will have ZERO angst about the KC situation. Every game we win will only increase the odds that he returns. 

Actually, every game we win will only increase his market value, which we weren't even professional enough to offer this offseason when it is considerably lower than what it ill be this time next year.  Every game we win will also increase how much other GM's and coaches salivate at the possibility of getting KC when the Redskins foolishly low-ball him again playing their little game of Let's Make A Deal where they only offer piss-poor offers behind every door.  The only way he is returning is if we use a third exclusive FT on him, costing us in the neighborhood of $35 million for yet another one year rental, when we could have had him for multiple years for $10 million a year cheaper.  So, you can be happy all you want this coming season.  The truth is, it is a double-edged sword all the way around.

4 minutes ago, Tay said:

I don't know if the love for Scot is warranted on the Kirk front. While he did want him signed during Training Camp 2015 (we don't know if Kirk would have signed at that point), he was also uncomfortable with the $20M price tag. And according to Jason Cole, Scot wanted to trade Kirk earlier this off-season and Bruce nixed it because he wanted to work at a long term deal.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/10/report-ex-washington-gm-fired-for-wanting-to-trade-kirk-cousins/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697293-insider-buzz-gm-scot-mccloughan-was-fired-for-wanting-to-trade-kirk-cousins

LOL.

What a load of nonsense leaked by Bruce. One of many reasons he gave for firing the GM that was getting too much credit.

You see, that is what he does. Protects himself and always puts the blame elsewhere.

And Jason Cole is the perfect lackey.

I mean, the same article that says Scot was fired for wanting to trade Kirk also says Bruce wants a LTD.

And now, months after "firing Scot for wanting to trade Kirk", it's clear Bruce never made anything close to a competitive offer.

But just wait for what's coming -- more leaks about how Kirk doesn't want to be here, was making outrageous demands, etc... 

This is going to be worse before it gets better. Nothing would surprise me. Because Bruce knows that if Kirk plays well Bruce is going to look bad. And Bruce can't have that.

Just now, Taylor 36 said:

Actually, every game we win will only increase his market value, which we weren't even professional enough to offer this offseason when it is considerably lower than what it ill be this time next year.  Every game we win will also increase how much other GM's and coaches salivate at the possibility of getting KC when the Redskins foolishly low-ball him again playing their little game of Let's Make A Deal where they only offer piss-poor offers behind every door.  The only way he is returning is if we use a third exclusive FT on him, costing us in the neighborhood of $35 million for yet another one year rental, when we could have had him for multiple years for $10 million a year cheaper.  So, you can be happy all you want this coming season.  The truth is, it is a double-edged sword all the way around.

Nah, if both KC and the Skins have major success this year it increases the lesverage for BOTH sides. Making it more likely they find an agreement. 

The only teams that will salivate over KC will be ones that lack QBs, and those teams mostly stink and/or are already investing in trying to fix it. If the Skins are really good this year, it would be kind of silly for KC to go to a worse situation out of spite. Now, yes, if he kicks tail this year and the team does really well and THEN the FO still doesn't have any real interest in paying him and allows him to walk... well, in that case I'd change my tune completely. I think one more "prove it" year for BOTH sides is fine at this juncture. Sure, KC can add to his price tag if he balls out, but if the team around him is also balling out, it likely greatly increases the odds he will want to return. Don't forget, on a day to day basis he works with Griden, the OL, and his teammates. He isn't in the huddle with Bruce. 

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

LOL.

What a load of nonsense leaked by Bruce. One of many reasons he gave for firing the GM that was getting too much credit.

You see, that is what he does. Protects himself and always puts the blame elsewhere.

I mean, the same article that says Scot was fired for wanting to trade Kirk also says Bruce wants a LTD.

And now, months after "firing Scot for wanting to trade Kirk", it's clear Bruce never made anything close to a competitive offer.

But just wait for what's coming -- more leaks about how Kirk doesn't want to be here, was making outrageous demands, etc... 

This is going to be worse before it gets better. Nothing would surprise me. Because Bruce knows that if Kirk plays well Bruce is going to look bad. And Bruce can't have that.

Sounds par fort he course. 

This is definitely going to be an interesting season, Most experts are predicting the 'Skins to either be in the cellar or third place, with the Cowboys & Giants battling for the division and wild card sports.

If the 'Skins finish 7-9/8-8/9-7 and miss the playoffs...what does that do for Cousins's value?  I know he is going to have some great games, he is more than capable, but let's say the team is 6-6 or 7-7 going into that final run and he ends the final month with some stinkers like he had against Carolina and the NY Giants last year.  Will those games go forgotten when the offseason negotiating comes? 

We can all debate about Cousins's value, Kirk is obviously betting on himself and his own value and at the QB position he is being smart about it because he knows as a QB, even being able middle of the pack (upper middle) he is going to get a huge pay day somewhere.   I do find it interesting that it seems like half the people who want to retain Cousins want to do it more because they are worried about what he would be replaced with rather than actually being super "in love" with Kirk himself.

Does anyone have a tentative list of QB's who will potentially be FA's after next season?

10 minutes ago, Hooper said:

LOL.

Jason Cole is actually a known mouth piece for Scot.

2 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

lol, there is NO ONE on that list that I would rather have than Kirk.

Get it done, Snyder.

Hmmm.... Kyle could be eyeing Sam Bradford out of that list as a cheaper option then Cousins.

I feel like the Redskins have gone from a professional football club to a social experiment. It's like some sociologist/sadist is running the team in the shadows with the thesis: "for how long can a team be run with unrepentant, consistent incompetence before its fanbase completely gives up on it?" 

9 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

lol, there is NO ONE on that list that I would rather have than Kirk.

Get it done, Snyder.

I think Stafford and Cousins are pretty much the same QB, IMO. But I do agree, I'd take Cousins over anyone on that list not named Stafford. I doubt Stafford gets to FA anyway.

3 minutes ago, TK said:

Hmmm.... Kyle could be eyeing Sam Bradford out of that list as a cheaper option then Cousins.

Not quoting the correct comment, but my mind keeps wandering back.

Bruce is cheap and Doug is his lackey.

Kirk says he wants to stay.

Kirk likes Schaffer. 

Gruden likes Kirk.

Dan likes winning and sales.

Everyone except ol Bruce is on board. 

This could get interesting for a host of reasons.

3 hours ago, Bang said:

So... long ago, some moron who looks like me, uses my name, and sleeps with my wife posted that if they **** this up that he couldn't be a fan anymore.

God damn it.

~Bang

I said the same. I don't even care anymore because the FO doesn't care anymore.

This franchise isn't worth any of our time. A complete joke 

I've always sort of wondered if Kirk has always wanted to leave D.C. due to feeling like he was drafted to be a career backup. (That was the original plan anyway).  It didn't turn out that way of course, but maybe from the day he was drafted, his focus was on showing other teams he could be a starter in the NFL, and then eventually leave.  

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Not quoting the correct comment, but my mind keeps wandering back.

Bruce is cheap and Doug is his lackey.

Kirk says he wants to stay.

Kirk likes Schaffer. 

Gruden likes Kirk.

Dan likes winning and sales.

Everyone except ol Bruce is on board. 

This could get interesting for a host of reasons.

Could be true but my mind is working more along these lines.

Market value contract after Carr deal is around $80 million guaranteed

Inflation next year post Stafford and possibly Ryan and Rodgers makes it closer to $85 or even $90 million.

Tag is $24 million this year.

Kirk signs LTD 2017 makes $80 million guaranteed.

Kirk waits 12 months, pockets $24 million tag plus next years guarantees for a total of probably $110 million in guaranteed money

Kirk is the one not on board, not for personal reasons but simply because why would he leave so much money on the table when he holds all the leverage.

If the FO isn't making another offer today, they must be on the phone with other teams.  And, by "other teams", I mean SF and Cleveland.

Right?

Of course, his value without a LTD drops pretty quickly after 4PM today and it would take some time to get details ironed out in a contract, so unless they've been working on a anticipated trade all week, it's probably too late.

Oh well, I'm sure they'll find another gem in the 4th round next year.  No need to waste money or a high draft pick on a QB.

4 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Could be true but my mind is working more along these lines.

Market value contract after Carr deal is around $80 million guaranteed

Inflation next year post Stafford and possibly Ryan and Rodgers makes it closer to $85 or even $90 million.

Tag is $24 million this year.

Kirk signs LTD 2017 makes $80 million guaranteed.

Kirk waits 12 months, pockets $24 million tag plus next years guarantees for a total of probably $110 million in guaranteed money

Kirk is the one not on board, not for personal reasons but simply because why would he leave so much money on the table when he holds all the leverage.

Injury. It is as simple as that. Do you want to be guaranteed for injury or not? God forbid something catastrophic happens, he could lose how many millions of dollars. 

Then again, nothing has shown that the Redskins have made anything close to a competitive offer.

Archived