Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

TK

We could pay Kirk what he wants and have plenty of cap space going forward. Everything else is just spin. Fans need to realize the cap has gone up at a rate much higher than salaries, especially when you factor in rookie deals, which make up a huge chunk of rosters. 

8 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

After watching an offense that can easily put up over 350 yards worth of offense the last two years do you really want to go back to watching a serviceable offense that struggles to score more than 20 each week?  Even if you do get some new kid to groom.  By the time he's ready you will most likely have to replace quite a few players; most likely Trent Williams and Jordan Reed.

in the past 32 games we've scored 20 or less 12 times.  and 6 more times we were barely over with a score of 24 to 21 points.  We were a yardage machine, not a points one

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Can you find that for me?  I don't remember any mention of Bruce all offseason and the only mention of Dan being his explanation for speaking with him about any potential trade.

Sure BatteredFan, let me do this again.

5:32 mark

Just now, MartinC said:

The teams standards as judged by the coaching staff and ultimately front office. This is pro sports. That's how it works.

I understand that, but this teams' standards and another teams' standards are completely different.  That's my point.

This team has stunk.  Defense, special teams and costly mistakes.  Not just Kirk.

There are plenty of teams that will pay him for what he has done.  May not be up to this teams' standards, but I can name 6 teams off the top of my head that would instantly be better with kirk and their standards.

If his average of the past 2 years is below this teams' standards

(68.4%  4541 yards  27 Tds  12 INTs)

And he "walks", teams would be lining up to sign him 

7 minutes ago, Hooper said:

We could pay Kirk what he wants and have plenty of cap space going forward. Everything else is just spin. Fans need to realize the cap has gone up at a rate much higher than salaries, especially when you factor in rookie deals, which make up a huge chunk of rosters. 

I would like to see your evidence of this, cause I've looked at plenty of cap calculators and don't see it

Just now, Hooper said:

Also I'm still waiting on Bruce Allen having a prove it year. Kirk is on his third. 

You know what's interesting though?  Many of the Kirk detractors point to him being good-not great and folds in big moments. 

What has Bruce done other than just the basics here by having some salary cap restraint?  He traded the farm for a guy that will never play another snap in the NFL.  He hired a GM and didn't let him GM, then canned him.  He's locked up 44M and potentially more in franchise tag salaries to a QB he's not sold on.  These are all 'big moments' for a general manager and he's struck out swinging in all 3. 

Yet these folks love them some Bruce.  Can't make this stuff up.

Look, I'm an eternal optimist that is holding out hope until 4:00 PM that we get him signed.  Saw a dude at Hersheypark Friday night wearing a Captain Kirk shirt (great shirt, btw), and lamented how we were running out of time to get him signed...at least I know he'll be our guy for 2017, and for 2018, if we want to pay the price.

My concern is this:  If he does part ways with the team next spring, and even if Sudfeld is the next Aaron Rodgers, or if they draft the next Aaron Rodgers...at SOME point, if you have an elite (or at the very least, a highly servicable) QB, you're going to HAVE to pay him, right?  So in a few years we could be right back to where we are today...

6 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

Look, I'm an eternal optimist that is holding out hope until 4:00 PM that we get him signed.  Saw a dude at Hersheypark Friday night wearing a Captain Kirk shirt (great shirt, btw), and lamented how we were running out of time to get him signed...at least I know he'll be our guy for 2017, and for 2018, if we want to pay the price.

My concern is this:  If he does part ways with the team next spring, and even if Sudfeld is the next Aaron Rodgers, or if they draft the next Aaron Rodgers...at SOME point, if you have an elite (or at the very least, a highly servicable) QB, you're going to HAVE to pay him, right?  So in a few years we could be right back to where we are today...

hopefully we'll get a guy with some proven success by his contract years if this doesn't work out with Kirk.  And for all the talk about the ****ty QBs we've had recently before that period we also had some fairly pedestrian QBs.  I can see not wanting to set a QB contract record for the next Jay Schroeder or even Mark Rypien

4 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

I've been beating this drum for a while now.

Fans want a unicorn.  They want to draft a QB with all the tools, pay him next to nothing on a rookie deal, but he'll also need to develop into an elite QB during this cheap rookie deal, and only then will he be deemed worth of a temporarily record breaking deal when his time comes.  There are also some that think this elite QB will take a hometown discount when his time comes as well. 

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really should just stop coming on here. This is my only source of news about football. Just start waiting until October to see if we're worth watching or not and take it from there. I really am not enjoying knowing how this team is run.

YOU, ME and a hell of a lot of other people here

7 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

Not sure that's true. The problem with the entire thing is that Kirk did not start until his last year on his rookie contract. That is what put this on a different path right from the start. If you draft a QB or even if Sudfeld starts in 2018, you are much closer to a normal cycle where you get a chance to extend them while still under contract. The tag does not have to come into play.

Best quote was from Thom Loverro yesterday in his article:

The question, though, for the Redskins should not be whether or not Cousins has sold himself enough to make more money than any quarterback in the NFL — a short-lived place once the next big quarterback contract comes along. The questions should be this:

What else is there to buy?

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Not sure that's true. The problem with the entire thing is that Kirk did not start until his last year on his rookie contract. That is what put this on a different path right from the start. If you draft a QB or even if Sudfeld starts in 2018, you are much closer to a normal cycle where you get a chance to extend them while still under contract. The tag does not have to come into play.

While what you are saying is true, you still have to pay out the nose even if you extend a good, young QB while still under contract.  The Raiders didn't 'have to' extend Carr and give him 25M per season.  Reports indicate that the Lions intend to give Stafford an extension that is incrementally more than Carr's deal.  So while the tag doesn't come into play, it's still a buttload of money.  Nobody gets a  legit starting QB on a non-rookie deal at a bargain price not named Tom Brady.  I'm sure the looming Aaron Rodgers extension will break all records and that's coming from an organization that is historically pretty damn cheap.

2 minutes ago, elkabong82 said:

All the fun and excitement of a potentially good season is ruined if no LTD. In the back of all our minds, we'll be thinking Kirk is gone next year and the team will regress back to being bad.

That's my biggest issue with this! Nothing we do this year will feel sustainable. Honestly, it puts me in a situation where I'll be interested at the two extremes (very bad season or very good season). Otherwise, if we are 7-9 or 9-7 it really doesn't matter. There's little build on and I'll be forced to watch for progress from individual players. 

Well I would think that we would actually hear something if they were negotiating. And it's not going to be like.

"Hey Kirk, here is the deal you wanted!"

"Great, thanks"

If they aren't even close, I guess setting up a contract takes time...

Archived