Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

TK

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19566814/kirk-cousins-contract-talks-washington-redskins-taking-encouraging-tone

Kirk Cousins contract talks with Redskins on positive track

8:40 AM ET
  • schefter_adam.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Adam Schefter 
  • ESPN Senior Writer 
  •  

While it doesn't mean there will be a long-term deal by the July 15 deadline, there has been an improved, encouraging tone in the contract talks between the Washington Redskins and quarterback Kirk Cousins, league sources told ESPN.

One reason for the positive outlook is that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has gotten involved, making it known how much Washington wants to re-sign Cousins.

At last month's owners meetings in Chicago, Redskins president Bruce Allen and Cousins' agent, Mike McCartney, had their first face-to-face meeting in the two years since Washington first used the franchise tag on the starting quarterback, sources said. It was the first of two face-to-face meetings between the two sides, as they continue to negotiate a long-term deal.

Now there is a belief that even if a deal doesn't get completed before the NFL deadline for franchise players next month -- and it still will be challenging, even with the thawing between the two sides -- that one could be struck after next season, keeping Cousins in Washington long term.

"There's no doubt it's been more positive lately," said one source familiar with the talks who requested anonymity. "Everything has been much more positive in the past several months."

It is why there is more hope that something could get done. Last offseason, the two sides never came close to a deal. This offseason, the Redskins appear more open to recognizing Cousins' value, especially when he is scheduled to play the 2017 season on a franchise tag worth about $24 million.

Playing on back-to-back franchise tags gives Cousins leverage in talks for a long-term deal, and the Redskins seem open to getting a deal done.

I said back in early February that I thought there was an 85% chance a LTD gets done by July 15th. I restated that in March and said I was gonna stick to that. Gonna do the same thing here...85% chance a LTD for Cousins gets done by July 15th.

Unless it doesn't...in which case I will ask the mods to quietly delete this post.

12 minutes ago, TK said:

1) Deadlines get deals done.

2) Dan's a closer.

That's the way I've seen it and commented on the Kirk thread for months.  Though, I admit I haven't enjoyed the bumpy ride on this so far.  Mike Jones on 980 tried to quash the positivity saying he hasn't heard anything has changed at all and the Schefter article doesn't really add anything to what's already out there.  He already knew and reported that Dan was involved, etc.  Jones said he doesn't think Kirk wants this to get done because he doesn't trust the Redskins decision makers and isn't sure he wants to be here.   Previously, Jones said he didn't think the front office would get this done in part because of ego and not wanting to give in to Kirk's agent.

I wonder if Jones' attitude has something to do with him saying yesterday in his Q & A that nothing has changed so if he admitted that Schefter is on to something, he'd also be admitting that he was wrong.    

I figure for starters if Jones knew that Bruce had a face to face meeting with McCartney recently, jones would have reported it.  That's news IMO as opposed to being repetitive. I like Jones but I suspect he's being stubborn here because he was out-scooped.   Sheehan said a couple of people he spoke to also said things have been positive of late.

10 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Like many have said, I just want the front office to put the ball in Kirk's court and offer him a deal that is actually fair and market value. The latest terms we have heard were what 20mil a year 40 guaranteed? That's a joke. 

If the 40M on and extension to the tag was fully guaranteed, it's not a ridiculous starting point for negotiations. Luck got $44M. The delivery of these stories lacks key information for us to truly have an solid opinion on the (un)reasonableness of the offers.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan said a couple of people he spoke to also said things have been positive of late.

Even with some of the positive stuff being reported recently about Cousins and the Skins, Sheehan kept his pessimistic stance and only gave the Skins a 10% chance of reaching a LTD by July 15th. Earlier this week, though, he said it gave it a 20% chance and said he couldn't really explain his more positive outlook. When I heard that, I immediately thought "Bull****...you know something" lol...maybe he also got wind of what Schefter reported.

2 minutes ago, Tay said:

If the 40M on and extension to the tag was fully guaranteed, it's not a ridiculous starting point for negotiations. Luck got $44M. The delivery of these stories lacks key information for us to truly have an solid opinion on the (un)reasonableness of the offers.

Exactly. It all depends how the guarantee is applied. If it is added to the 24 guaranteed this season then it is a fair deal IMO. Say with a 22 or 23 per year base and the ability to earn more through incentives. That should give the Skins the ability to get out of the deal in 3 years if Kirk was to fall off of a cliff. I think that is fair for both sides as well. It doesnt mean Kirk would take it. But it would definitely let us know if Cousins really wants to be here or not. And it is a fair offer IMO.

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I said back in early February that I thought there was an 85% chance a LTD gets done by July 15th. I restated that in March and said I was gonna stick to that. Gonna do the same thing here...85% chance a LTD for Cousins gets done by July 15th.

Unless it doesn't...in which case I will ask the mods to quietly delete this post.

Well obviously that would just fall into the 15% chance you left that it wouldnt get done. :)

58 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Even with some of the positive stuff being reported recently about Cousins and the Skins, Sheehan kept his pessimistic stance and only gave the Skins a 10% chance of reaching a LTD by July 15th. Earlier this week, though, he said it gave it a 20% chance and said he couldn't really explain his more positive outlook. When I heard that, I immediately thought "Bull****...you know something" lol...maybe he also got wind of what Schefter reported.

I was listening today he said he thinks now its a 40% chance and said so more than once.  Maybe you misheard the 10% relating to something else or he misspoke at one point?

I've been optimistic from the get go in the off season for this ultimately getting done while not enjoying the ride. :)   The beat reporters and local media guys have been uniformly so negative on the contract getting done, it comes off to me a bit over the top.    I think the only guy that's hung in there in the positive category has been Al Galdi.   Mike Jones was positive in January and to some degree Tandler but they've switched to being negative, especially Jones.

I have always been very optimistic.  If this doesn't happen, Dan will simply loose the fans, especially if Cousins goes out and performs well again this year which I am almost certain he will.  I give it at least 90% of happening by July 15th, seriously what option is there left for this team? Non that I can see.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening today he said he thinks now its a 40% chance and said so more than once.  Maybe you misheard the 10% relating to something else or he misspoke at one point?

I've been optimistic from the get go in the off season for this ultimately getting done while not enjoying the ride. :)   The beat reporters and local media guys have been uniformly so negative on the contract getting done, it comes off to me a bit over the top.    I think the only guy that's hung in there in the positive category has been Al Galdi.   Mike Jones was positive in January and to some degree Tandler but they've switched to being negative, especially Jones.

Sheehan's been at 10% for most of the offseason...when he last said it, it was after Russell reported that his source told him that things were going well between the Skins and Cousins' camp. He basically told Cooley that Russell's report didn't mean much or change anything, Cooley said he puts the LTD at 60% and Sheehan immediately said "No, you don't" and called Cooley's bluff, then reiterated that he still thinks there's a 10% chance Cousins gets signed long term by July 15th. He asked Cooley again and this time Cooley said "9%" lol...

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's the way I've seen it and commented on the Kirk thread for months.  Though, I admit I haven't enjoyed the bumpy ride on this so far.  Mike Jones on 980 tried to quash the positivity saying he hasn't heard anything has changed at all and the Schefter article doesn't really add anything to what's already out there.  He already knew and reported that Dan was involved, etc.  Jones said he doesn't think Kirk wants this to get done because he doesn't trust the Redskins decision makers and isn't sure he wants to be here.   Previously, Jones said he didn't think the front office would get this done in part because of ego and not wanting to give in to Kirk's agent.

I wonder if Jones' attitude has something to do with him saying yesterday in his Q & A that nothing has changed so if he admitted that Schefter is on to something, he'd also be admitting that he was wrong.    

I figure for starters if Jones knew that Bruce had a face to face meeting with McCartney recently, jones would have reported it.  That's news IMO as opposed to being repetitive. I like Jones but I suspect he's being stubborn here because he was out-scooped.   Sheehan said a couple of people he spoke to also said things have been positive of late.

Today is the first time I've heard that they met face to face twice.....that's the news of the day.    I have no respect for the Washington Post....Period!

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ok, I just listened to Jones' segment with Sheehan. Jones pretty much says what you said above and that nothing has really changed much at all. What seems to be overlooked between him and Sheehan, though, is that it's possible that things were never that bad to begin with.

There's nothing "new" outside of face-to-face meetings but this could simply be the natural progression of their negotiations, and that Cousins in fact is not just waiting to hit free agency and that the Redskins are not in fact letting ego or a belief that McCoy could do just as well get in the way of things, or that this is all just leaked spin to make the Redskins look good. It's not really news that the closer we get to the deadline the more active the two sides will become in seeing what can get done. That it's happening now, a month away from the deadline, should have been expected for the most part. So maybe that's what Jones is conveying without realizing he's conveying it, maybe?

I'll believe it when I see it.  At this point, if we can't get it done in time, I want to see a transition tag next offseason, see who bites, and match it.  Only threat with that is possible poison pills, which have been challenged before.

Archived