Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

This is how the GOP spreads its diseases and gives out committee assignments:

Marjorie Taylor Greene bid $100K to buy chapstick used by Kevin McCarthy at GOP auction: report

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) has reportedly agreed to fork over some big cash for the rights to own a chapstick once used by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

According to Politico reporter Olivia Beavers, House Republicans on Tuesday morning had a fundraising auction that included the rights to own the aforementioned chapstick.

A Greene spokesman tells Beavers that the Georgia congresswoman put in the winning bid that totaled $100,000.

"Others bid on it as well, but MTG ultimately won: And as bidding went on, McCarthy would sweeten the deal, throwing in agreeing to attend a dinner with donors/supporters for whoever wins," Beavers reports on Twitter.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

That sucks, but these mega corporations are only running pride commercials and selling cute little rainbow merch because they think it will make them more money. It was never about courage or social justice, and anybody who thought it was is naive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

That sucks, but these mega corporations are only running pride commercials and selling cute little rainbow merch because they think it will make them more money. It was never about courage or social justice, and anybody who thought it was is naive.

Correct. This is proof that violent protest works though. So one of two the two groups are going to learn something from this. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Correct. This is proof that violent protest works though. So one of two the two groups are going to learn something from this. 

I just wish having a reasonable discussion of the facts at hand worked. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I just wish having a reasonable discussion of the facts at hand worked. 

The founders basically assumed the above is how humans would work given the chance.  Give them information and they will reason their way to a decision.  Maybe not always the correct or optimal decision, but a reasonable guess.  Sadly, it isnt how humans work because, as we have seen:

(A) For the most part, humans arent reasonable 

(B) Humans are pretty crap at distinguishing fact from fiction

Its a clear failing in one of what I would consider the main assumptions underlying the little experiment we've had running the last couple hundred years.  Not sure how to fix it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Target should counter with a new line of graphic Ts and sportswear called "I'm a ignurint ****in' redneck an prowd uv it"
But they won't because DFitzo is right, its only ever about trying to catch a demographic's money, and Llevron is right, being a French corporation, Target has thrown down their principles and will collaborate with fascists.

Maybe a new logo ..TARGET with a nice "Vichy" script  tagging the bottom.

~Bang

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

Target should counter with a new line of graphic Ts and sportswear called "I'm a ignurint ****in' redneck an prowd uv it"
But they won't because DFitzo is right, its only ever about trying to catch a demographic's money, and Llevron is right, being a French corporation, Target has thrown down their principles and will collaborate with fascists.

~Bang

French corporation? 🤔

That said,  Target has been an LGBTQIA+ ally for over a decade. Before it was popular/profitable to do so. I'm disappointed that the christofascists in the GOP have made that harder. Hopefully the backlash from devaluing their partnership will spectacularly backfire on Target.

Besides, it's not like the gays are shopping at Walmart. At least not the open ones. 😆

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, Jabbyrwock said:

The founders basically assumed the above is how humans would work given the chance.  Give them information and they will reason their way to a decision.  Maybe not always the correct or optimal decision, but a reasonable guess.  Sadly, it isnt how humans work because, as we have seen:

(A) For the most part, humans arent reasonable 

(B) Humans are pretty crap at distinguishing fact from fiction

Its a clear failing in one of what I would consider the main assumptions underlying the little experiment we've had running the last couple hundred years.  Not sure how to fix it.

I would add - they assumed people would care and put effort into understanding their government. 

we clearly don’t. Evidenced by many things, but generally by the immense amount of stupid things you hear people say that can only be justified by them literally having no idea how government works (or is supposed to work)

just a guess but thinking about it, it seems that for all the pitfalls of a true democratic system where everyone votes on every item, a pitfall of a republic seems that it allows for people to easily and naturally disengage from actual issues and what is actually happens. The incentive isn’t to understand the issue you’re going to vote on, it’s to understand the team you’re rooting for to vote on issues in your behalf, which naturally degrades in to the teams sport/tribalism mentality we see so prevalent. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

I saw LGBTQ clothes at Target weeks ago.  Why are people mad about it now?  The right seems really good at organizing outrage over this type of thing... I feel like someone or some group was pulling strings in the background for a couple of weeks to find the 10 most offensive items to be pissed about.  And then manufacture some outrage.

2 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I saw LGBTQ clothes at Target weeks ago.  Why are people mad about it now?  The right seems really good at organizing outrage over this type of thing... I feel like someone or some group was pulling strings in the background for a couple of weeks to find the 10 most offensive items to be pissed about.  And then manufacture some outrage.

Rinse and repeat

6 hours ago, Bang said:

~Bang

I can't find anything that says Target is a French company. 

Target Corporation - Wikipedia

Target Corporation is an American retail corporation headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It is the seventh largest retailer in the United States, and a component of the S&P 500 Index.[3] The company is one of the largest American-owned private employers in the United States.

Targét[edit]

Some people jokingly give Target the pseudo-French pronunciation /tɑːrˈʒ/ tar-ZHAY, as though it were an upscale boutique.[126][127] Though this practice is often attributed to Oprah Winfrey's usage on her television show, it is first attested in 1962, the year the first Target store opened.[127] Target once sold a line of shoes called "Miss Targé;"[128] this was reinforced by a 1980s television advertisement starring Didi Conn.[citation needed] This pronunciation has also led some people to incorrectly believe that the company is French-owned.[51] In recognition of the nickname's popularity and cachet, Target Corporation licensed its new name and logo to Brand Central LLC in 2006, complete with an accent over the letter "E" for a new line of clothing aimed at more upscale fashion customers. The line, "Targét Couture," was originally sold in Los Angeles-based store Intuition, which deals with high-end brands.[129][130]

4 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Been going on for some time.  

At least as I understand it, there's a whole movement among the book banning crowd, where helpful book banning organizations will send you a list of books that you should object to, without having to bother to actually read them.  

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton likely broke laws, Republican investigation finds

A Republican-led investigation on Wednesday accused Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton of committing multiple crimes in office — including felonies — during an extraordinary public airing of scandal and alleged lawbreaking that plunged one of the GOP’s conservative stars into new political and legal risk.

For more than three hours, investigators presented findings alleging Paxton sought to hide an affair, misused his office to help a donor, skirted protocols “grossly outside” norms and built a culture of fear and retaliation in his office. Investigators told the GOP-led House General Investigating Committee that there was evidence that Paxton repeatedly broke the law over the years, including by misusing official information, abusing his official capacity and retaliation.

The dramatic turn of events in the Texas Capitol unleashed a new test of Paxton’s durability in a way he has not previously confronted despite a felony indictment in 2015 and an ongoing FBI investigation. The House committee’s investigation has been quietly going on for months and did not come to light until Tuesday.

Click on the link for the full article

I won't hold my breath waiting for Paxton to experience repercussions for his actions.