Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballTalk: Jordan Reed being evaluated for concussion

Suffolk_Skins

9 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

With the exception of the Browns game, he has been average. I think we can win without him, no doubt in my mind.

I don't think hes left to LBs and getting open as much, but he still above average. We can still win though....division champs mofo

With the concussion issue we are between two extremes. 

On one end we see the results for players who played entire careers with ZERO knowledge/treatment of concussions. I've seen some estimates that certain players could have been well into the hundreds. I've also always read that sustaining head trauma prior to a concussion healing is bad business. So back in the day you may have had guys get concussed in training camp and literally NEVER heal all season--who knows how scrambled their brains were by January. 

Other guys from that era seem fine...guys well into their 60's, 70's, 80's living productive lives. 

What happened before isn't happening now. Guys aren't going undiagnosed for months and they aren't being told to shake it off and get back in there. 

This isn't apples to apples. 

A guy like Reed may not be in huge future risk based on how these are being treated now. Or he still might be...we honestly won't know until they are much older and we can compare them to the retired players from a generation before them. 

The most logical conclusion for me is that this is a classic over correction. Previously we grossly underestimated concussions and their lasting effects. Now it's a hot button issue and I think it's likely being a bit exaggerated and sensationalized. 

3 hours ago, kleese said:

With the concussion issue we are between two extremes. 

On one end we see the results for players who played entire careers with ZERO knowledge/treatment of concussions. I've seen some estimates that certain players could have been well into the hundreds. I've also always read that sustaining head trauma prior to a concussion healing is bad business. So back in the day you may have had guys get concussed in training camp and literally NEVER heal all season--who knows how scrambled their brains were by January. 

Other guys from that era seem fine...guys well into their 60's, 70's, 80's living productive lives. 

What happened before isn't happening now. Guys aren't going undiagnosed for months and they aren't being told to shake it off and get back in there. 

Hit the nail on the head! I know this is not good but with the prevention after each concussion in present day I assume it must be much less traumatizing on the brain and also overall less concussions on average for players. Also I assume with the amount of research that has gone into the helmets you see now that they protect much better on all the smaller hits you see that do not cause concussions but have been shown to be traumatizing over time.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

He's a DC athlete so he'll end up retiring before 30.

If he were in New England or Denver he'd be headed to a HOF career.

Well, New England just dealt with a early exit from a stud tight end by the name of Hernandez. Good teams adapt and find other ways to win. 

I do do know what you mean though as I'm sure we all spent the night cursing at baseball and the sports gods. 

2 hours ago, bankonhank said:

Hit the nail on the head! I know this is not good but with the prevention after each concussion in present day I assume it must be much less traumatizing on the brain and also overall less concussions on average for players. Also I assume with the amount of research that has gone into the helmets you see now that they protect much better on all the smaller hits you see that do not cause concussions but have been shown to be traumatizing over time.

Helmets only do so much. Concussion happens from your brain slamming into your skull.

Reed is Cousins favorite target and its not close. He catches almost any garbage throw Kirk throws near him. I think Reed is responsible for Kirks high completion percentage.

Also, when our offense has sputtered, especially in the red zone, it's because Reed is double and triple covered.

I expect Garcon to get the lions share of Kirks bail out throws this week as he seems to be the only other big window target.

2 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

Actually I think we can get by without reed ... exceptional talent that he is .  Between Davis and Paul we have good depth and the offense can still operate . We might even see Ty as the FB ... which will be interesting....

I'd love to see Ty play some LT and Trent move around. He's been asking to play TE.

Imagine the play action if Trent is lined up at TE with Niles at FB. You're not going to get more Jumbo than that.

12 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I might be in the minority here.  But I don't think we can win without Reed.

I disagree.  Obviously Reed is very talented and gives the offense a unique option, but I think the Skins can win games without him in and, it's looking like they're gonna have to.  The coaches need to find a way to be creative without him and Davis and Paul need to step up.

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love to see Ty play some LT and Trent move around. He's been asking to play TE.

Imagine the play action if Trent is lined up at TE with Niles at FB. You're not going to get more Jumbo than that.

You may be onto something. Are you sure that Arie at Full wouldn't be more stout? Think Fridge. That is the max heavy jumbo, basically get all the OL onto the field, and stop with the half assed jumbo packages. And naturally, go PAP to Trent in the flat.

12 hours ago, Vanguard said:

The game or long term this season or both?  

2 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

Actually I think we can get by without reed ... exceptional talent that he is .  Between Davis and Paul we have good depth and the offense can still operate . We might even see Ty as the FB ... which will be interesting....

Davis is gonna need to hold on to the ball. He doesnt get a whole lot of targets, but his hands have been suspect even going back to the preseason.

It wasn't until Reed returned from injury last season that Kirk started playing at a high level.  This season hasn't been as glorious for the two as defenses are rolling more coverage to Reed.  The last time we defeated the Eagles, Reed scored 3 times.  I understand those that feel its going to tough sledding without him.

While I'm not happy about it, I'm interested to see Kirk without his security blanket.  Fingers crossed.

13 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Big loss no question about it, but unlike last year this year we do have V Davis and N Paul, both capable of catching the ball and dare I say both better blockers than Reed if need be.  Cousins does depend on Reed but I am hoping he is more than capable of hitting the WRs and Davis or Paul if need be.  This game comes down to how good Cousins plays.  Food for thought, last year he didn't have Reed or DJax in the game against them here at FedEx.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

You may be onto something. Are you sure that Arie at Full wouldn't be more stout? Think Fridge. That is the max heavy jumbo, basically get all the OL onto the field, and stop with the half assed jumbo packages. And naturally, go PAP to Trent in the flat.

That's ****ing awesome. I really want to see a pass to Trent in space against little guys. That would be a brutal blast to see.

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's ****ing awesome. I really want to see a pass to Trent in space against little guys. That would be a brutal blast to see.

Not really, because nobody would try and tackle him high.  They will just go low and take his legs out.  There would be no Trent trucking people if he had the ball.

I don't think Reed's "production" has been as stout as we all expected it to be through five games, however with a guy like Reed on the field it changes the way a defense has to cover the field. (Much like Jackson who's stats last week looked weak but he still made a big difference) Without that threat on the offense it does change the way a defense can attack.  I am sure Paul or Carrier or even Vernon Davis could end up matching a similar state line to Reed for a game or two, but will a defense have to focus and shift the middle of the field to concentrate on covering them?  I don't know.  Niles Paul seemed like he was onto something last year before being injured, but has mostly been a ghost this season.  Maybe this is the opportunity he needs to show he can still do some impressive things.

If they don't have Reed for this game, it would be a HUGE loss.  Reed presents a big mismatch against their defense.  Same thing happen last year in the 2nd Eagles game in Philly.  Not to mention he's Cousins security blanket on most plays.  I like Niles Paul but he's no Jordan Reed.   

Archived