Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballTalk: Jordan Reed being evaluated for concussion

Suffolk_Skins

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So does being in the concussion protocol mean you have a confirmed concussion or they just suspect you may have a concussion and thus have to go through the testing to prove you dont?

It means he's believed to have sustained a concussion and they won't let him play until he can show he can perform athletic tests without having concussion like symptoms. 

The issue with concussions is each time the brain gets more susceptible to reinjury. Take Sidney Crosby as an example The Penguins are handling that situation extremely delicately and would much rather have him miss 25-50% of the season then to risk his career. 

2 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

If true, then he should retire ASAP.

5 head injuries is way too many and scary. 

I hope he makes the right decision, His health is more important. 

I wont think any less of him as a person/player. This is a brutal game. 

This is not necessarily true, as someone else posted this is very dependent on many factors, including severity of concussions and extended symptoms. 

58 minutes ago, Unbias said:

We all know Reed is a warrior and he knows a thing or two about concussions.

What's probably the most troubling about this is that Reed got a concussion in the game (assumed) and originally thought he'd be okay. Actually played the rest of the game and went into the game prep for the follow week. Yesterday he decided to tell the team it's not going away. 

This scares me for two reasons:

1 - The player's competitive drive is putting him in danger of further damage

2 - The concussion is bad enough where he knows he needs to tell the team

He may have taken the hit and thought nothing of it, just like every other hit he takes week in and week out, then started to experience concussion symptoms later in the week. People do not always know that they sustained a concussion, but a few days later they get dizzy or have bright lights hurt their eyes.

1 hour ago, PortisBetts said:

Man, I hope he is ok. We really need him to play.

6 minutes ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

RETIRING!?!?..Jordan Reed...realy?..please don't confuse me as being selfish but that would just realy blow!!..I wish him all the best either way.

If this turns out to be his 6th one he should really think about hanging up his helmet and be with his family and daughter. Wishing him good health in the meantime. 

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

****! That really sucks.   2 in college, 5 pro's. 

Honestly, I have been worried with every tackle for some time now.... 

I hate to say say it, but THIS is THE reason I avoided him in my fantasy drafts. And when he was selected early in the second round of my draft I told my buddy--"he'll be great until he is lost for the season...or worse due to his 6th concussion."

2 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

While I do want Reed on the field.  I really want to see Niles get into the action.  

I agree totally here. The Redskins still have Davis and without Reed, Niles Paul will have another chance to prove himself and I really like his ability. Thankfully the Redskins are still deep at the TE position.

37 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I hate to say say it, but THIS is THE reason I avoided him in my fantasy drafts. And when he was selected early in the second round of my draft I told my buddy--"he'll be great until he is lost for the season...or worse due to his 6th concussion."

I was eyeballng yet avoided him too. This, after riding he and Cousins to my FF super blow with their monster close out to last year.  I held onto him all year despite missing time, and it paid off. I have Cousins this year, in large part because of Reed. Sigh....no I don't want Blake ****ing Bortles.  I wonder who will get his touches. Vernon Davis seems logical, but maybe it will be the wideouts. Thompson and even Jones have decent hands and could be in line to fill the void, much like they had to do at times last year. 

He needs a hyperbaric chamber.   There is a guy in Florida, a colleague of mine, who is one of the leading experts in traumatic brain injury. due to underwater munitions blasts (Navy Seals), concussions, etc.  He has worked with countless athletes.  He is well documented, solves the problem and the Doctors that know of his work refer him a lot.  It is a shame the NFL does not know more about this.  It would stop guys from having long term effects due to concussions that is for sure.  

Got to be friends with his girl and watched them have their little girl albeit on SM .....Got to be fb friends with their family...I gotta say, I won't blame him at all for retiring, his health and being a father and husband outweighs long term health concerns. sucks, but life is short. 

17 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

Got to be friends with his girl and watched them have their little girl albeit on SM .....Got to be fb friends with their family...I gotta say, I won't blame him at all for retiring, his health and being a father and husband outweighs long term health concerns. sucks, but life is short. 

Glad to see ya stop bye..ty, hap u too..I think u are spot on here...so understanding you don't have a crystal ball ,if he's diagnosed with a concussion could we have seen his last game?

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

Has it even been confirmed that he had a concussion? My understanding is that he had concussion-like symptoms and was proactively placed into the concussion protocol. But please folks, carry-on with the jersey retirement ceremony..

Glad I'm not the only one.

concussions are nuanced deals. Saying a player should retire after x amount of concussions is pointless. Every case is different. Sid Crosby nearly retired from one. Other athletes played for years with multiple and were fine.

Nobody on the team is even ruling him out for Sunday or even confirming he actually has one so save the crying for when it's really needed. 

Jeez lol 

1 hour ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

Glad to see ya stop bye..ty, hap u too..I think u are spot on here...so understanding you don't have a crystal ball ,if he's diagnosed with a concussion could we have seen his last game?

Some of you guys are so dramatic 

Well, that sucks. Reed is a special and rare player but I do like what I've seen from Davis this year and don't forget Cousins had Paul leading tight ends and receivers in receptions and yards through about 4 weeks 2 years ago before he got hurt. There's certainly an impact but we're more than capable of surviving and injury to Reed. 

Some may disagree but I think Cousins goes to his security blanket too often. He expects him to always be open and I feel sometimes it keeps him from seeing other guys. I almost can't blame him as good as Reed has been but I could almost see this making us better in that it's going to force Cousins to look other guys way. Here's to hoping DeSean goes off against the Eagles regardless of whether or not Reed plays. 

21 minutes ago, moondog said:

Well, that sucks. Reed is a special and rare player but I do like what I've seen from Davis this year and don't forget Cousins had Paul leading tight ends and receivers in receptions and yards through about 4 weeks 2 years ago before he got hurt. There's certainly an impact but we're more than capable of surviving and injury to Reed. 

Some may disagree but I think Cousins goes to his security blanket too often. He expects him to always be open and I feel sometimes it keeps him from seeing other guys. I almost can't blame him as good as Reed has been but I could almost see this making us better in that it's going to force Cousins to look other guys way. Here's to hoping DeSean goes off against the Eagles regardless of whether or not Reed plays. 

I'd like to see Desean go off too, mainly because its the Eagles.  But I also think Crowder doesn't get the ball enough.

Archived