Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballTalk: Jordan Reed being evaluated for concussion

Suffolk_Skins

10 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Has it even been confirmed that he had a concussion? My understanding is that he had concussion-like symptoms and was proactively placed into the concussion protocol. But please folks, carry-on with the jersey retirement ceremony..

Jersey retirement ceremony? Heck, they are writing his eulogy on this thread. :806:

Folks need to relax and wait till we actually get some news before we react.

15 hours ago, DM72 said:

Dang, he don't have a life threatening disease. He'll probably miss this week and be back next week.

The effects of multiple concussions can absolutely be life threatening, and at the very least quality of life threatening.  He's already suffered 5 since 2011.  

He's having symptoms at this point, so, it's not been officially diagnosed.  We'll see, I just wish the best for the guy and of course I'd rather having him able to play but his long term health is just more important.

I remember the play it happened.  It was the same play when Morgan Moses went down.  He took a nasty shot to the head and I remember saying whoa, that was a rough head shot.  Then I saw Moses down and thought it was Reed because their numbers look similar (Reed 86 Moses 76, I could see a 6).

I was actually surprised it wasn't Reed down.  Now a couple days later concussion protocol.  I too think he may want to consider hanging up the cleats.  Life is more than football, as much I love it.  I played ball too, and sometimes I think some things I feel now could've come from playing the game (and just aging) on a much lower level. 

I want to be able to see my grandkids one day and I hope these players make decisions based on longevity of life and not just money and fame and fans.  Hopefully, its not serious but 7 concussions is not good at all.

Some posters on here have proven they're oblivious to the concussion epidemic surrounding the NFL these days. 

If this protocol turns out to be true, then Jordan 26, has had FIVE in five years. That's five too many and very dangerous. 

he needs to make the best decision for himself and his family. 

His health and family far outweigh our feelings about the redskins. 

Won't this be his 5th documented concussion?  Not to be all doom and gloom, but at some point you've got to think about life after 40.  

Wes Welker had 6 concussions.  I read an article months back about how he plays Sodoku and does crossword puzzles every night before bed to keep his brain sharp.  Dude is 35. :(

30 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Some posters on here have proven they're oblivious to the concussion epidemic surrounding the NFL these days. 

If this protocol turns out to be true, then Jordan 26, has had FIVE in five years. That's five too many and very dangerous. 

he needs to make the best decision for himself and his family. 

His health and family far outweigh our feelings about the redskins. 

No one here is oblivious. It's just too darn early to be making all these declarations.

10 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Glad I'm not the only one.

concussions are nuanced deals. Saying a player should retire after x amount of concussions is pointless. Every case is different. Sid Crosby nearly retired from one. Other athletes played for years with multiple and were fine.

Nobody on the team is even ruling him out for Sunday or even confirming he actually has one so save the crying for when it's really needed. 

Jeez lol 

Some of you guys are so dramatic 

I or NFCBeasts were not definitively calling for his retirement. Just concerned about long term effects and if it comes to that, I'll understand. 

Your response up top makes much more sense. That said repetitive concussions can't be good in any shape or form. 

Calm down, everyone.  It hasn't even been confirmed he has a concussion.

I get concussions are dangerous, but there are plenty of players who have had wayyyyy more concussions than him throughout their careers and they are living just fine lives....all before people started caring about concussions.  There are also people who have killed themselves because of brain trauma.  Everyone is just different.

Anybody could be at practice and complain about a headache and they automatically put you in the protocol.  It doesn't mean they have a concussion.  It just means they are checking to see what's up.  So let's stop writing JReed's retirement speech, hall of fame speech, and eulogy.

41 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Wes Welker had 6 concussions.  I read an article months back about how he plays Sodoku and does crossword puzzles every night before bed to keep his brain sharp.  Dude is 35. :(

I call BS on him only having 6.  Dude was getting pummeled so bad after catches, it seemed like he was getting 6 per game.

Imma on my way to have my torn bicep reconnected, hope to see ya'll soon. 

Santana McCloughan Retweeted Football Players

xxxx football,we have the right to be concerned about his health long term

Santana McCloughan added,

Football Players @TheCasualHero
People writing Jordan Reeds eulogy on here today. Calm down, get the facts before we overreact for once. #Redskins

@Breakemdownseph He's got a wife and a daughter, the no. of concussions are concerning. Football is a damn game, @TheCasualHero

19 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

Dude was getting pummeled so bad after catches, it seemed like he was getting 6 per game.

This.  I love the heart Reed has after catches.  he's a load to bring down and he fights for every yard.  But man, usually when he's being held up by two defenders, a third comes and cleans his clock.  I grimace every time :(

Whatever number is out there, is just the documented concussions.  Every player gets concussions they try to play through.  We are reacting to a number thats in print.  H'es probably had way more, just like everyone else.

Just one example below:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/01/clinton-portis-played-through-concussions-all-the-time/

If this is 5 or 6, its not good. It is also not good that it took the NFL and team to figure it out 4 days after the game.  I would imagine that the protocol gets more difficult each time a player enters it....he didn't practice yesterday and would be a quick pass through the protocol to have him ready to play Sunday....seems unlikley

He's out again today.

Redskins tight end Jordan Reed is not on the practice field today with the other tight ends. It's uncertain why and http://www.rightrelevance.com/search/articles/hero?article=d21454c980c1d705e6b15647d60c6a52fb8fc321&query=washington%20redskins&taccount=waredskinsrr 

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

To be expected...the concussion protocol isn't completed in 24 hours. I expect him to be inactive against the Eagles as well (as do most of us, I imagine)...

It's been 48 hours though.  If this was "nothing" then he'd be back already.  Sad panda.

I would leave his out of this game as a precaution.  I know how important he is to Cousins and this offense. But health tramps it.  Plus you can't tell me that Niles and Vernon can't be serviceable for one game at least.  The name of the game for me is for Cousins to get the ball to the WRs, especially Djax.

Archived