Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballTalk: Jordan Reed being evaluated for concussion

Suffolk_Skins

The Redskins have won their last three games, but their chances of extending it to four in a row could be impacted by tight end Jordan Reed’s availability.

Reed did not practice on Wednesday and coach Jay Gruden said after the session that Reed is being evaluated for a concussion. Gruden said, via Rich Tandler of CSNMidAtlantic.com, that Reed reported symptoms to the team on Tuesday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/12/jordan-reed-being-evaluated-for-concussion/

Concussion protocol 

This is also a good read:

https://www.statnews.com/2016/01/11/concussions-counseling-experts-debate/

Some highlights:

Determining whether an athlete should play a sport again after a concussion is far more nuanced than relying on a number. I don’t believe in using a cutoff for the number of concussions because every case is different.

When it comes to concussion, the pendulum has swung from a giving an athlete a dose of smelling salts and asking, “How many fingers am I holding up?” to widespread fear. I believe the truth is somewhere in between — having a concussion is worse than what we used to think it was and not as bad as it is being made out to be.

While we certainly need more research and randomized controlled trials, I believe that concussion is now a fully manageable, treatable condition. If an athlete responds to rehabilitation in a robust, predictable way, and we fully treat that problem, I have no problem with him or her returning to play and, in fact, encourage it.

An interdisciplinary approach helps provide return-to-play guidance. I check the athlete’s balance, eye movement, sleep patterns, and more. I ask neuropsychology colleagues to look at the athlete’s brain function and dysfunction. I involve people who are important to the athlete, such as family members, a significant other, coaches, and other medical staff. The athlete’s long-term goal — where does he or she want to go with this sport — also factors into the equation.

Athletes who have suffered concussions deserve a thorough, individualized process. It would make things easy to rely on a number, such as you can’t play after three concussions. But there’s no evidence for such a cutoff.

I’ve worked with athletes who I counseled not to return to playing a high-risk sport after a single concussion. Then there are athletes with multiple concussions whose recovery patterns are benign and who acknowledge and accept what we know and what we don’t know. I will clear them to play as long as they are comfortable with the ambiguity that comes with that clearance.

With his history it's extremely important to be careful with this one. I know it's a divisional game and the Skins want to keep the momentum, but if there's a heightened chance of him getting another concussion then he's got to sit. I can imagine if that happens they would consider shutting him down for a long period of time. 

I pray for him. 

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

If true, then he should retire ASAP.

5 head injuries is way too many and scary. 

I hope he makes the right decision, His health is more important. 

I wont think any less of him as a person/player. This is a brutal game. 

I think a lot of it depends on contract language and I realize that sounds horrible. It's easy to say walk away, but if two more seasons doubles or triples his net worth that's a hard decision to make. 

We all know Reed is a warrior and he knows a thing or two about concussions.

What's probably the most troubling about this is that Reed got a concussion in the game (assumed) and originally thought he'd be okay. Actually played the rest of the game and went into the game prep for the follow week. Yesterday he decided to tell the team it's not going away. 

This scares me for two reasons:

1 - The player's competitive drive is putting him in danger of further damage

2 - The concussion is bad enough where he knows he needs to tell the team

So does being in the concussion protocol mean you have a confirmed concussion or they just suspect you may have a concussion and thus have to go through the testing to prove you dont?

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

If true, then he should retire ASAP.

5 head injuries is way too many and scary. 

I hope he makes the right decision, His health is more important. 

I wont think any less of him as a person/player. This is a brutal game. 

I am with this line of thinking.  If he retired next week, it's probably for the best.

I'm actually surprised he lasted this long.

Archived