Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballTalk: Jordan Reed being evaluated for concussion

Suffolk_Skins

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

Oh?  They have touchdowns in the endzone now?  What a time to be alive . . . :P

In Fairness you can catch a pass outside the end-zone and then after gaining possession advance the ball past the goal line of the opposing team leading to a touchdown! 

1 hour ago, RedskinsFanInSanAntonio said:

We needed Jordan much more against the Eagles, than probably the next two games in my opinion. Though in uncomfortable road environments it would be nice to have someone Kirk can throw it to in tough situations when he isn't seeing the field as good. As long as Reed gets cleared by the Minnesota game, I'm good.

Uhh........I think we need him against Detroit.

3 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Detroit doesn't have a very good defense. It would be nice to have Reed back to make things easier, and for teams to have someone else to game plan against. We should be able to continue to run the ball well the next two weeks that we might not need Jordan as much in the passing game.

9 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Yes we do. We need him for every game.

It's always better to have your best players out there. However, if he can't play, we should be alright.

I wonder if the Redskins will unleash the three-headed rushing attack again? The Lions are supposedly ranked 28th in the NFL against the run (I haven't looked, though).

While not technically runs, I'd argue that about 25-50% of Reed's catches are really just forward handoffs.  I suspect the real reason we started running in a more traditional way is that JR's absence removes much of that game.  VD is a better blocker, so the option was there.  Further, I think McVey knew he had to make it work so he was more committed.  Overall, while we have not run the ball much, it has performed decently.  With the exception of Baltimore, the only team that has really stopped our running game has been the Redskins.  We do seem to have a consistency problem.  Also, one could argue that we were not in position to try the run against the Steelers.

2 hours ago, Bobby Peppers said:

The first thing Matt Jones pointed out in his interview was Vernon Davis' blocking in the run game. Apparently he makes a big difference in our ability to run the ball.

Yep, it does. I love Reed as much as anyone but he can not block at all. He is constantly blown up while trying to set the edge and that cripples our RBs ability to cut. With Davis/Paul you saw a lot more cutbacks and runs to the edges picking up big yards.

With that said, Reed is soooo dynamic in the pass game that we absolutely have to have him for the long run of this season. But I do think against a bad D like Detroit we can get by with the other guys.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep, it does. I love Reed as much as anyone but he can not block at all. He is constantly blown up while trying to set the edge and that cripples our RBs ability to cut. With Davis/Paul you saw a lot more cutbacks and runs to the edges picking up big yards.

With that said, Reed is soooo dynamic in the pass game that we absolutely have to have him for the long run of this season. But I do think against a bad D like Detroit we can get by with the other guys.

I really don't like the idea of playing without Jordan Reed.  But I said that last week as well.

It's never safe to say you don't "need" one of the best players on offense to win a game.  Could they find a way to win without him? Sure...just like against the Eagles.  On the road, in a loud hostile environment against a team trying to right their ship? Yes, I'd say it be much better if Reed was playing.

Kind of off topic but is it really that difficult to have Reed lined up as a WR and the other two in to block? I feel like hes out best WR anyway. 

5 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes we do. We need him for every game.

It's always better to have your best players out there. However, if he can't play, we should be alright.

I wonder if the Redskins will unleash the three-headed rushing attack again? The Lions are supposedly ranked 28th in the NFL against the run (I haven't looked, though).

I sure hope we do. Run them until it doesn't work anymore then unleash the Krik

16 hours ago, bankonhank said:

In Fairness you can catch a pass outside the end-zone and then after gaining possession advance the ball past the goal line of the opposing team leading to a touchdown! 

Yes, exactly why I worded it that way, because I was responding to a post about Davis and worries about him fumbling.

Hard to fumble a ball you catch in the endzone.

I am actually kind of surprised Reed is the fastest TE to 200 catches. How old is he again?  Between his injuries and his tendency to sometimes disappear for half a game after getting 3-4 catches in the first half, I didn't realize his volume of catches was that stout.

32 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am actually kind of surprised Reed is the fastest TE to 200 catches. How old is he again?  Between his injuries and his tendency to sometimes disappear for half a game after getting 3-4 catches in the first half, I didn't realize his volume of catches was that stout.

It's based on games played not seasons or age or anything. Thus, all of his missed games are thrown out of the equation. Reed made it to 200 catches in 38 games. I think it was Kellen Winslow Sr. made it in 39 games. 

12 hours ago, Bobby Peppers said:

The first thing Matt Jones pointed out in his interview was Vernon Davis' blocking in the run game. Apparently he makes a big difference in our ability to run the ball.

Spencer Long at Center also makes a huge difference. He outweighs Lichtensteiger by nearly 30 lbs and is clearly the better player. 

9 hours ago, Llevron said:

Kind of off topic but is it really that difficult to have Reed lined up as a WR and the other two in to block? I feel like hes out best WR anyway

Yeah they line him up at wide out all the time he really is a hybrid - also I don't think its truly thr main reason we ran better... Its nice of matt to compliment Vernon thougjthough.

Reeds absence against Philly may have given us a unique advantage. Like inserting a new QB, Philly didn't know how to game plan or if we would adjust, especially on third downs. By taking out our usual go-to guy, Philly had to guess if we would run or pass (we always passed to J Reed when we needed a conversion). With some tape to review, Detroit now knows how McVey compensated, giving them an advantage over Philly. The longer J. Reed is out, the more we will miss him. Reed is considered to be exceptional for a reason.

Archived