Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ProFootballTalk: Jordan Reed being evaluated for concussion

Suffolk_Skins

34 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

They're back at practice today so I'm sure we'll get updates when practice starts and hear what Jay has to say about it at his press conference.

Hope to get him back out there ASAP. I've, admittedly, been a more casual observer this year but even a passing glance at the Redskins shows how important Reed is to the offense.

Still - concussions are no fun. Wouldn't wish them on anyone. Had a minor one as a teenager and the migraines were unbearable. Let's make sure he's safe to go before he gets back out there.

Just now, Vanguard said:

Just saw an interview with Cravens.  He said he feels good, and everything has been going well.  If there are no setbacks, he expects to play.

Great news Vanguard thank you.

Week 1 vs steelers, Not one store nor even the HOF Shop in the stadium have his jerseys yet. Ordered it online Around the time of the Clevland game, I really wanted to wear it to MandT bank But I guess 36 jerseys on back order... Got it a day before the Philly game, Even know he didnt play. Jersey was fresh. The entire secondary is playing beastly, add Cravens to the mix..... Deadly

I think people saying our running game suffers because of him playing tight end are either exaggerating or making assumptions. Our backs ran better last week and our run schene was much better - I think the fact that j.reed happened to be out was a coincidence.

I expect our dominant running game to reappear this weekend - along with reed.

2 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I think people saying our running game suffers because of him playing tight end are either exaggerating or making assumptions. Our backs ran better last week and our run schene was much better - I think the fact that j.reed happened to be out was a coincidence.

I expect our dominant running game to reappear this weekend - along with reed.

Jones said having Davis in there makes a big difference.

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Really need to stop pretending he's a TE and just play him as a WR so our running game can excel.

I see him as the "Cole Beasley" of our team.  Makes those important catches short, and gets some extra yards.  I don't want him out there till he's ready, though.  We need him for the long haul of the paloffs.:247:

On 18/10/2016 at 11:02 PM, Vanguard said:

Any updates on Reed?

“[My family members] are always going to show concern and stuff like that because they care more about my health than anything, but I’ve got to take care of my family, so I’ve got to do what I’ve got to do,” Reed said.

He returned to practice on Wednesday wearing a non-contact jersey and is still awaiting full clearance from the concussion protocol.

Soooooo is this whole admitting to knowing he most likely had a concussion during the raven's game going to cost us an arm and a leg in the future Mr ****ing **** u piece of **** Mara, employ a damn admitting multiple time women abuser for a year now but ohhhhhh the redskins did this and off with there head...I hope you get the shaft for keeping Josh Brown employed ASSHOLE!!

I'll start my two part apologies by saying I'm sorry for the language, and hope I didn't offend any one(sept Mara..).. 

And for getting off track so insanely quick like that..but could we see a fine or penalty for him admitting to playing with concussion like symptoms coming this year or next?

1 hour ago, Nfcbeasts4721 said:

Soooooo is this whole admitting to knowing he most likely had a concussion during the raven's game going to cost us an arm and a leg in the future Mr ****ing **** u piece of **** Mara, employ a damn admitting multiple time women abuser for a year now but ohhhhhh the redskins did this and off with there head...I hope you get the shaft for keeping Josh Brown employed ASSHOLE!!

I'll start my two part apologies by saying I'm sorry for the language, and hope I didn't offend any one(sept Mara..).. 

And for getting off track so insanely quick like that..but could we see a fine or penalty for him admitting to playing with concussion like symptoms coming this year or next?

Reed isn't a doctor.  He can't be held accountable for self diagnosing a possible concussion.  

Reeds crazy, I don't know if anyone read what he said about his concussions but he basically said that he needs to take care of his family so it is what it is.

He's doing serious damage to himself, at what point are we responsible for enabling him to do further damage.

I know some don't want to hear this, but this (and recently Cam Newton) is an example of why it bothers me that players sue the league down the road.  Yes, in bygone years in the old days when there was no protocol other than smelling salts on the sidelines, the NFL was completely wrong in hiding the concussions and information.  Now they have a protocol in place (with the NFLPA's blessing) and players are doing exactly what players of the past did.  HIDING IT.  They all know what they signed up for and know the risks (now they do) and yet, just like Mike Webster, their inner competitiveness won't allow them to take a step back and stay off the field. 

I live in the Charlotte area and Cam Newton complained for 2 weeks (after the Atlanta hit) that he wanted to play and basically was pissed off about the protocol and having to sit. That is why I'm 50/50 on the issue of culpability.  If players are serious about their safety (as they say they are), then they need to listen to the team and doctors.  It's not like the old days when a player feared he'd give up his position to someone, if they sat out with any kind of injury.  Reed will get his position back when healthy.  If the players are making the league responsible for adhering to the protocol, then the players must do the same, which means they need to self report.  Reed should have said something earlier.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jones said having Davis in there makes a big difference.

Yeah that wasn't the most endearing thing I've ever heard Jones say. Maybe he should worry less about J Reed and more about running authoritatively with good vision and not stutter stepping like an idiot and leaving yards on the field.

I thought Jones saying that was low.

I think they should keep him out for the Lions game as well.  Not only to make sure he is healthy and good to go for the long haul, but without Reed in the lineup, Cousins was forced to look elsewhere, distributing the ball all over to Jackson, Garcon, Crowder, Davis, etc.  Give him another week of rest, and give Cousins another week of trusting and connecting with his receivers not named Jordan Reed.   

Jay Gruden said the medical staff thought it was best to hold off Jordan Reed (concussion). DeSean Jackson had soreness #Redskins

The Redskins training staff wanted to give tight end Jordan Reed a break from practice.... http://es.pn/2dtasL4 

CvO3aE8UkAANkZ1.jpg

Jay Gruden on Jordan Reed "hiding" concussion symptoms: "Obviously, we want our players to be honest."

3 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

I know some don't want to hear this, but this (and recently Cam Newton) is an example of why it bothers me that players sue the league down the road.  Yes, in bygone years in the old days when there was no protocol other than smelling salts on the sidelines, the NFL was completely wrong in hiding the concussions and information.  Now they have a protocol in place (with the NFLPA's blessing) and players are doing exactly what players of the past did.  HIDING IT.  They all know what they signed up for and know the risks (now they do) and yet, just like Mike Webster, their inner competitiveness won't allow them to take a step back and stay off the field. 

I live in the Charlotte area and Cam Newton complained for 2 weeks (after the Atlanta hit) that he wanted to play and basically was pissed off about the protocol and having to sit. That is why I'm 50/50 on the issue of culpability.  If players are serious about their safety (as they say they are), then they need to listen to the team and doctors.  It's not like the old days when a player feared he'd give up his position to someone, if they sat out with any kind of injury.  Reed will get his position back when healthy.  If the players are making the league responsible for adhering to the protocol, then the players must do the same, which means they need to self report.  Reed should have said something earlier.

In fairness, we haven't seen if today's batch of players is going to try to sue. I completely get your point, but the group of former players suing now were the ones playing in the "smelling salts" era. If Cam Newton retires in 10 years and sues the NFL soon thereafter, then I'm with you. But until that happens, it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. Even down the road, each player is his own person...so the only time it's a major hypocrisy is if someone who hid symptoms, etc. sues. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In fairness, we haven't seen if today's batch of players is going to try to sue. I completely get your point, but the group of former players suing now were the ones playing in the "smelling salts" era. If Cam Newton retires in 10 years and sues the NFL soon thereafter, then I'm with you. But until that happens, it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison. Even down the road, each player is his own person...so the only time it's a major hypocrisy is if someone who hid symptoms, etc. sues. 

True.  But more to my point was that the players are hiding their injuries, but the NFLPA expects the team to hold up their end of the bargain with regards to the protocol.  They need to call out the players and tell them to come forward when they are having symptoms. My point was more that the players need to hold up their end of the protocol also.  And I understand the "competitive nature" element in them and the "invincible" effect that they have.  Football is a also a quirky sport whereas they only get 16 games a season, compared to 82, 82 and 162 in the other major sports.  So I see their "need" to play.

Not sure why everyone is so shocked he hid the concussion.  Those dudes want to play at all costs.  Guys like him hiding a concussion were a dime a dozen since forever ago up until maybe 2-3 years ago.

If I'm in Reed's shoes, making that salary, and getting all of that glory - I'm hiding my concussion 10 times out of 10.

Archived