Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan Stork (C) released by Pats

Sherlock Holmes

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

bmcnally14
#Redskins apparently convinced Bryan Stork not to retire. Trade made official moments ago.
24/08/2016, 14:32

This, to me, sounds like Scot trying to do one of his "look me in the eyes as I pierce through the core of your football soul" bits, figuring he can bring out the passion in this kid while Callahan works out all the kinks. And Gruden can play the good guy role when necessary, lol.  

We might be on to something here, but if not, you cut him with next to no loss. Pretty sweet deal me thinks. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

A center has to know EVERYTHING

Do you really think Ribs knew EVERYTHING last year, as our team went on its hot streak to make it into the playoffs? :ols:

Fact is a pro team can adjust and accommodate new players, greenhorns; backups learning a new position like Ribs was. I am sure you noticed Kirk took over line calls, for instance. And you may have noticed we suddenly won games. 

Kory for clearly knowing everything, just couldn't help us win in the few games he was in. Back in for GB, maybe you noticed both he and Kirk making line calls at the same time. 

13 hours ago, MartinC said:

bmcnally14
#Redskins apparently convinced Bryan Stork not to retire. Trade made official moments ago.
24/08/2016, 14:32

I wonder what his reasons for retiring were.  Cuz talking a guy out if retirement doesnt seem like the best way to go about talent acquisition   

Hopefully his heart is in this. The reasons I could come up with for walking away at 25 would probably be pretty significant, like health, love of football, or personal problems. None of which you want your (potentially) starting center dealing with.

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It was possibly just a knee jerk reaction knowing he was getting released / traded for peanuts.

He seems like an emotional guy.

Perhaps, not unlike our GM who breaks a fist because a kid has a lingering injury... in training camp. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5651832

Seahawks deal for Marshawn Lynch

Shades of this trade for me ^^^

9 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

This, to me, sounds like Scot trying to do one of his "look me in the eyes as I pierce through the core of your football soul" bits, figuring he can bring out the passion in this kid while Callahan works out all the kinks. And Gruden can play the good guy role when necessary, lol.  

We might be on to something here, but if not, you cut him with next to no loss. Pretty sweet deal me thinks. 

Worst case, it's a 4th round rookie contract.  I love this move and I think the kid gets his **** together.

David Andrews, who signed last season as a rookie free agent, is the only other center listed on the Patriots depth chart. Andrews started the first 10 games of the 2015 season, playing every offensive snap in that span. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/24/new-england-patriots-release-bryan-stork Andrews seems to be healthy, but having no true center as a back-up seems dangerous. I feel like there must have been a bit more to this cut than injury concerns.

54 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Not sure I understand the excitement. Guy couldn't start on his own team. How much better can he be than Licht? I'll be surprised if he gets on field without Licht getting hurt.

I swear some of you are incapable of reading. 

Stork was the starter, including starting the Super Bowl Victory over Seattle. 

He got a concussion last year (4th in four years) which kept him out for the season and allowed Andrews to get a shot. Both entered TC as equals, but Stork got nicked up on day 3 and eventually fell behind Andrews. 

Stork has played every position at NE on the line except LT.  At the very least, he is a versatile backup being paid peanuts.  

At best, he is a starter and fits the scheme better at least size-wise  

LT Williams

LG Lavauo

C Stork

RG Scherff

RT Moses

That is some beef right there. 

12 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I swear some of you are incapable of reading. 

That is some beef right there. 

I think Stork will be an upgrade over Lich if he can stay healthy and we desperately needed to upgrade C as Lich is a weak link we cant have if we want to run up the middle. But Ive also done some reading. Stork lost his job to the undrafted Andrews bc Brady didnt like that Stork would mess up on line checks, costly penalties and its been discussed that he was tipping the snap. 

He seems to be the opposite of Lich. Physical but not cerebral. While I like the "cant  hurt" move by SM to upgrade a huge position of need and I love the fact that SM seems to be one step ahead of the league, Stork has some warts that cant be overlooked ..... and all this might be moot by week 3 if he gets his 5th concussion. 

Good flyer on a player that can turn out to be great value if things fall the right way. 

2 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

It seems like I said this and people acted like I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. :)

Too many people in here took the first thing they read and ran with it, instead of doing some investigating or reading ahead. Naturally a lot of over reacting by our fans. What else is new in this day and age of social media. 

It's like people jump on the Internet to be outraged even if there isn't any reason to be.

2 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Not sure I understand the excitement. Guy couldn't start on his own team. How much better can he be than Licht? I'll be surprised if he gets on field without Licht getting hurt.

4723168-schleprock.jpg

Wowzy, wowzy, woo, woo.

I won't try to be a pessimist, but it probably wouldn't work out anyway.

Well we know he likes to fight which shows his competitive mean streak. He started as a rookie on a SB winning team and got a ring. When's the last time someone said Tom Brady's O-line played poorly? Normally you hear how he has so much time clean in the pocket... 

I'd consider the retirement talk as a knee jerk reaction by an emotional competitive player. For a conditional 7th round pick, I don't see any downside to adding him. Nothing to lose, and only a strong powerful center to gain.

47 minutes ago, Bang said:

I don't know,, this guy seems to have too many red flags. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he exceeds the value we gave up.

~Bang

Not sure if sarcasm so if so forgive me but generally I do not like to trade away our draft picks but do make an exception when it comes to 7th round picks.

All day every day I would trade those for players we know can play in this league who may be able to help our team in areas of need. 7th round picks we recently selected

2015 - Austin Reiter
2014 - Zach Hocker
2013 - Jawan Jamison
2012 - Richard Crawford
2012 - Jordan Bernstine
2011 - Brandyn Thompson
2011 - Maurice Hurt
2011 - Markus White
2011 - Chris Neild
2010 - Terrence Austin
2010 - Erik Cook
2010 - Selvish Capers

I left off this past drafts players not knowing how they will turn out and giving them the benefit of the doubt but those picks don't work out for us generally. Stork if he gets his emotions under control can play and I get you about the red flags just saying what did we risk here for giving him a try? My hope is he's here longer then a cup of coffee but who knows right now.

This was a small risk possible/probable good results. With those 7th round picks those are small risk and high probability for nothing at all. I'd trade those all day long in moves like this one, higher picks no. Just saying 

Just now, chow184 said:

Well we know he likes to fight which shows his competitive mean streak. He started as a rookie on a SB winning team and got a ring. When's the last time someone said Tom Brady's O-line played poorly? Normally you hear how he has so much time clean in the pocket... 

I like this signing - low risk, high reward. Not getting carried away as there is still a chance he may retire plus with his concussion history its probably a stretch to think of him as our guy long term. 

However on the comments re Bradys line being good - Brady has a lot to do with that along with their system. Most of their passing game is based on getting the ball out quickly with lots of crossing routes and most of the balls being targeted within the numbers (the exact thing people seem to want to knock Kirk for by the way). Brady adds to that by being a master at getting the ball out of his hand. The scheme and Brady mask a lot of deficiencies along that line.

Be interesting to see how they go without him the first 4 weeks.

I am ecstatic with this move. It's a very low risk very high reward pick-up. Huge upside for him at almost nothing in terms of CAP ($600K 2016, $690K 2017 - no guaranteed money unless injured).

My only point has been that people have been way too quick to assume he can come in tomorrow and be the starter at C. First, KL has not been nearly as bad as people are making him out to be. Is he the best? No. Is Stork better? He is better physically and has played at a high level before so very probable. But it's just not that easy to walk into an Oline - or really most any position - and just start immediately unless you are truly elite. And he definitely not that - at least not yet.

It is my belief that he was brought in to make it much easier to let JL go and to put some pressure on KL, Long, and Rieter. I could see a scenario where Stork plays his way into the starting line-up later in the season - like after the bye or something. But it's a huge ask to have the guy come in and remove the incumbent in 2 weeks. If he does, then this is an even better signing than I believe it is now.

Nah, i wasn't being sarcastic..  concussions, rumors of locker room problems, fights, and now potentially 'very emotional' on finding out he was traded after being kicked off the practice field earlier in the week.

I get we gave up next to nothing....  and that is about what I am expecting in return.
If he provides depth .. ok. 

Other than that.. i'm not holding any breath.
It's not a move that is going to make or break us, for sure. I generally agree fully with you on the strategy.

I may have missed it, but do we know what the condition for the pick is? Does he have to make the 53, does he have to play a number of snaps, or start a number of games?

~Bang

Archived