Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan Stork (C) released by Pats

Sherlock Holmes

Stork fills a pressing need at center for the Redskins, while the Patriots can never have too many draft picks. ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that the pick in question heading to the Patriots is a conditional seventh-round pick.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/24/never-mind-patriots-trade-bryan-stork-to-redskins-for-conditional-draft-pick/

Unless that's wrong, lol. I would imagine he has to make the 53 man roster for us to be on the hook for that pick. I've seen nothing to say the trade included escalators which could make it a better round pick later

2 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I think Stork will be an upgrade over Lich if he can stay healthy and we desperately needed to upgrade C as Lich is a weak link we cant have if we want to run up the middle. But Ive also done some reading. Stork lost his job to the undrafted Andrews bc Brady didnt like that Stork would mess up on line checks, costly penalties and its been discussed that he was tipping the snap. 

He seems to be the opposite of Lich. Physical but not cerebral. While I like the "cant  hurt" move by SM to upgrade a huge position of need and I love the fact that SM seems to be one step ahead of the league, Stork has some warts that cant be overlooked ..... and all this might be moot by week 3 if he gets his 5th concussion. 

Good flyer on a player that can turn out to be great value if things fall the right way. 

So as I said (for someone with no reading comprehension), he wasn't starting and was such a versatile, valuable lineman, they got rid of him. That's why I am suppressing my excitement.  We gave nothing for him, so its all good. Lich will beat him out.

Just because the Patriots have a better option than Stork at Center does not mean Stork is not an upgrade for us at Center or even Guard.

Low risk, high reward.  The dude can obviously play and even if he's only here as a backup, that's a bargain for a 7th round pick.  If you're at the draft and you're in the 7th round, you'd take ANY player that can make your roster.  Looking above at all of our 7th round picks over the years, this trade is a NO BRAINER.  Most 7th rounders get cut before the season anyway.

I really don't get what people are whining about.  If he makes the team, we lose a 7th rounder.  If we cut him or he retires, we don't lose anything. 

And he was the starting center for a Super Bowl champion team as a rookie. Guess that is no big deal to anyone.

3 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Really the question becomes is he better than Ribs/Reiter?

Because if he is, we just upgraded the team, regardless of whether or not he starts.  

I can't claim to have seen every one of his games, but that's not the question. By all accounts, he's a pretty strong upgrade over Licht. The questions relate to if he wants to play here and if he can avoid another concussion. Assuming he does work out, I'd hope and pray that Leribs would finally be cut

30 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I can't claim to have seen every one of his games, but that's not the question. By all accounts, he's a pretty strong upgrade over Licht. The questions relate to if he wants to play here and if he can avoid another concussion. Assuming he does work out, I'd hope and pray that Leribs would finally be cut

With Josh I'd say it's not a question of 'if' but 'when'...

How about a pool, pick a day, any day! Winner gets a 'Like'!

*** This just in, LeRibeus cut by Redskins - Signs with Patriots***

LOL it crossed my mind that the Pats are going to be needing a center....and he does like ex Skins but I didn't think it would be Ribs.  Nice call Mike John Bass.

Maybe Belly will simply look at how our team did with Ribs at C, a VERY clean pocket (really all he likely cares about, behind his disdain for fighting), Kirks stats in Ribs time, and decide he is worth a look. Of course, Belly may well slide a guard over and use a TE as an OL and they'll be as well off as with Ribs. 

6 minutes ago, Johns Bass said:

With Josh I'd say it's not a question of 'if' but 'when'...

How about a pool, pick a day, any day! Winner gets a 'Like'!

*** This just in, LeRibeus cut by Redskins - Signs with Patriots***

Atlanta seem to be more in the market for ex Redskins O'Line players.

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That was my first thought - almost put it in. Great point; they are still carrying Chester for cryin' out loud. 

Dumped Hank last year though and haven't replaced him with a former Redskin so they're overdue..

7 minutes ago, Johns Bass said:

That was my first thought - almost put it in. Great point; they are still carrying Chester for cryin' out loud. 

Dumped Hank last year though and haven't replaced him with a former Redskin so they're overdue..

They've got Nick Williams AND Aldrick Robinson there at WR, though. :ols:

Honestly, I'm surprised at how lacking their personnel department must be to let Kyle have that much say on offensive players. 

32 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Mostly WR's. They stilll have NIck Williams and Aldrick Robinson. They had Hankerson. In general, Atlanta seems to love Redskins' castoffs. Probably why their talent level has gone down the drain recently.

42 minutes ago, Johns Bass said:

They have Compton there as well - but as a backup and I'm not sure if he is looking like he will make their team or not.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

I'm just saying the team is improved by this move, whether he starts or not, as I see it as a vast upgrade over Ribs/Reiter

11 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For the record, the answer to that question is: The last game they played.

That's a pretty darn good front 7 they faced.  Most teams cannot contain them, but chow is correct for the most part... Pats Oline tends to play way above their talent level.  Good (great) coaching does help...

10 minutes ago, illone said:

That's a pretty darn good front 7 they faced. 

Sure, but keep in mind they were able to consistently rush 4, and sometimes 3 and get pressure quickly on Brady, even when TEs and backs were used to chip. That's a pretty unacceptable performance no matter who you're playing.

10 minutes ago, illone said:

Pats Oline tends to play way above their talent level.  Good (great) coaching does help...

To an extent, but the "lack of talent" narrative gets overblown. Solder and Vollmer have probably been the best pair of Ts any team has had the past few years and they've had a possible HOFer in Makins and multiple other Pro Bowl OLs in the Brady era (Koppen, Light, Woody, Waters), not to mention other underrated players there.

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

For the record, the answer to that question is: The last game they played.

Think it was Burgundy Blog who today tweeted out a link to this from last February. It talks about, and shows, how Stork was tipping the snap against the Broncos. Those guys didn't really need any extra help in that game. Says it's not a regular thing, but he had done it before. 

http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/film-study-nfl/offense-film-study-nfl/2016/02/01/bryan-storks-head-bob-costs-patriots/

Edit: Just read the comments. Is Brady at fault in this sort of thing too, for not mixing up or changing his cadences/changing when he wants the center to snap it?

6 hours ago, Bang said:

I may have missed it, but do we know what the condition for the pick is? Does he have to make the 53, does he have to play a number of snaps, or start a number of games?

He has to have no more than 1.5 concussions in the 2016 season and just 3 fights or less. :) 

6 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Almost every team in the NFL does not have a "true center" as a back-up...this includes the Redskins last year.

have you actually checked that out?  I mean I know most backup centers also play guard, and some even manage tackle. but are they guards who also play center, or are they centers who also play guard?

Litch is a starting center on a lot of teams in the league and people think someone we just traded a conditional 7th for is going to immediately take his job.

Or that we'd immediately cut Litch.

Could be the power center we need, since Cousins showed he could control the line last year, when long came in, Litch is a little more expendable. That's his most valuable asset.

If Stork chooses to make the Patriots sorry for how they treated him, then the OL will change for the better.  Lich is coming off a injury that could easily come up again.  The skins need this depth and it was a no brainer to deal a conditional 7th round pick.  Let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks.  This should be interesting and nothing but good things for making this move. 

Archived