Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan Stork (C) released by Pats

Sherlock Holmes

Any current or former C's/OLs in the house...

Post snap, how many different things does a center have to learn? 

10, 50, 100, 200?  Ballpark number.

Pass Run. pull right, pull left, double... help. 

I am trying to get a feel for how many different things Stork or any new C has to learn.  Sure, the things asked of a new player can be dialed back and gradually built upon, or as I contend, think new players walking to the line can ask the guy next to them for help. 

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Any current or former C's/OLs in the house...

Post snap, how many different things does a center have to learn? 

10, 50, 100, 200?  Ballpark number.

Pass Run. pull right, pull left, double... help. 

I am trying to get a feel for how many different things Stork or any new C has to learn.  Sure, the things asked of a new player can be dialed back and gradually built upon, or as I contend, think new players walking to the line can ask the guy next to them for help. 

Center is not an easy job to learn. Stork will need to learn the entire offense because the center calls the line protection and changes in blocking schemes base on the defense. He needs to at a minimum know the jobs of all five linemen and the blocking TE. Plus he needs to learn HIS blocking responsibility. Not as easy as plugging in a guard or tackle. Not likely he starts first game; more likely it will be at least several games. He also has to create a working relationship / familiarity with Cousins when Steiger will be spending all the time with the first team snaps during practice. We need to be patient.

He is an experienced center and should have no problem adjusting to our blocking schemes.  I expect he will pick it up very quickly and will be in the lineup sooner than later.  He'll get plenty of snaps in our final preseason game and will go on there.  Barring injury, I think we are going to like this guy.

He certainly appears to be living on the fringe and strung pretty tightly.  Under control not entirely unwanted in your OL.  I can see how he didn't fit perfectly in the Patriot system, hopefully he shows up motivated to prove them wrong for dumping him for a 7th rounder.  HTTR!

6 hours ago, SonnyandSam said:

Center is not an easy job to learn. ...

Great post, and thanks. Thankfully, he is already a center and is used to an extremely difficult job. If learning the playbook quickly was a problem, I will theorize he would likely be at guard. I think new plays are added more frequently than we fans know. 

Barring radically new plays, he should largely know all the things he needs to do; just the name has changed. Again, I am talking post snap only.  But if there is anyone that is going to have a unique playbook, it's Belly. Our offense will probably be much less radical - let's be reality. :ols:  

Whatever verbiage he learned is almost innate to him at this point, he probably just needs to learn the new nomenclature. It appears NE uses The Erhardt-Perkins system (single word), we are likely West coast - lots of numbers. I cannot confirm this - maybe one of you lurker media guys can dig for us. Yeah, you. What did he learn in college? 

Presnap.... He is a vet and so is Kirk. I thinking those 2 will quickly work out the small nuances. I will presume that  Kirk will do line calls like he did last year, if that is the only thing holding Stork back. Hopefully he gets snaps in preseason G4 so people can he is a pro and can handle a new playbook quickly; something I am theorizing.  

I wonder if Stork will share some of Belly's innovations he plans to bust out this year. Belly likely has not told anyone yet heh. 

Erhardt Perkins uses mainly numbers for formations, protections and motions and single words for letting receivers know what the patterns are.

In our WCO it's normally colours for formations, protection/blocking is another word along with any motion and pass patterns are numbered or sometimes the primary route is called out and other receivers have to remember what they should do on that specific call. The numbers for patterns comes from the Coryell system- increasingly the verbiage from different systems is bleeding together.

Its like learning a different (but relatively limited) language.

Here are a couple of examples - you can see how the WCO has a lot more verbiage (more moving parts but its tells each player what to do) while the Erhardt Perkins relies on memorising what the terms mean.

WCO - Brown right, F Short, 2 Jet, 55, HB Corner Y Pop.

EP - Zero, near slot right, 72 Ghost, tosser.

But heres the thing - once you get to the line the centre has to call the protections based on what the defense shows and make sure the QB and he are on the same page about what the protection is. I have a copy of the 85 49ers playbook (the WCO play above is from that). There are 67 blocking combinations in that playbook, each with a name and number. I cant imagine its got any less complex since 1985! The centre would need to know what all of those are so he can check at the line with a call.

There is a lot to learn.

Been watching some game tape on him. Very good in run support and almost always wins the battle of getting under the defender and pushes his guy around and out of the way. Pass protection is somewhat below average (not saying he isn't an improvement) and I'm sure he'll get better. Possibly might have had something to do with his departure from NE - you can't be average or below when it comes to protecting Brady. 

He's really versatile - saw him play like three positions in one game.

MartinC hits one out of the park! Great post, that was exactly what I was looking for. So the Niners C had 67 blocking combos; I agree in all likelihood currently it is more - let's say 100 to safely answer my question; anymore than that, it has to become counterproductive (cough Al Saunders 800 page playbook dumped on Campbell; purged the following year #facepalm).

Here is my rebuttal to get Stork in for week 2: I suspect most weekly game plans include a vastly scaled down amount that are to be used and that have been practiced, seguing into my next question. How many are usually heavily drilled in practice for that weeks gameplan... 30? 

I keep seeing posters say this, or something like it

the centre has to call the protections

Didn't Kirk call out the protections last year when Ribs was his center?  I am not sure where i read or heard that but if true, I am wondering why we cannot do the same for Stork should he be pressed into duty sooner, versus later. Mr. Bass reaffirms he is a grader that which our OL seems to lack. Scot wants a run game; all teams do.  The need is there; Scot got him after all.

Stork translates/memorizes the blocks of the week, Kirk calls out protections for now... super blow!

15 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

Maybe we can still bring him in if/after he is released...?

why would they do that though. 

if they felt he had any value of any kind wouldn't they have just kept him anyway. 

if hes not worth a seventh round pick due to health then good riddance. 

This keeps getting weirder and weirder.  More and more question marks and issues being glossed over by desperation.  By the time the regular season comes around people will have retroactively convinced themselves that Stork was the missing piece that kept us from reaching the Super Bowl lol.  Low risk, high reward shot in the dark.  It didn't pan out, move on.

If the guy was the sort of stud some of you are making him out to be, then the Pats wouldn't have let him go for a 7th round pick. We already knew he had red flags on his character and health. So I'm not surprised he failed his physical. Bringing him in on the cheap was worth a shot, but predictably, it doesn't look like it will pan out. 

Here's an article about the failed physical: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/stork-fails-physical-trade-rescinded/

Archived