Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan Stork (C) released by Pats

Sherlock Holmes

1 hour ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Those 60 assignments were probably like route trees - basic actions with certain variations.It's gotta be - tackles can't count to 60 can they?

Well the ones I played with certainly couldn't :-)

The 60 odd variations are the terminology for blocking assignments, things like the various combo blocks and picking up stunts etc.

its on page 27 (of the 365!) in this 49ers playbook 

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/1985-San-Francisco-49ers-West-Coast-Offense-Bill-Walsh.pdf

This is interesting, given events. {John Sullivan}

Not sure if he'd be so cheap
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1088824

His contract right now is about $11M over the next two years so no I don't expect him to be cheap. I don't know how many Centers are going to be available at this point of the season that will give you quality starts but that's a real crap shot to wait especially considering how well that's worked for Washington over the last couple of years. All reports are that he's recovered from his back issue from two years ago.

Maybe not Washington and might not be in their best interest depending on the total cost (salary + trade) but he'll get a gig this year somewhere. Might want a WR. They have good talent but Treadwell unproven and pretty much the rest are inconsistent. 

34 minutes ago, Johns Bass said:

His contract right now is about $11M over the next two years so no I don't expect him to be cheap. I don't know how many Centers are going to be available at this point of the season that will give you quality starts but that's a real crap shot to wait especially considering how well that's worked for Washington over the last couple of years. All reports are that he's recovered from his back issue from two years ago.

Maybe not Washington and might not be in their best interest depending on the total cost (salary + trade) but he'll get a gig this year somewhere. Might want a WR. They have good talent but Treadwell unproven and pretty much the rest are inconsistent. 

So the Vikings have $11 million contract on their 2nd team center? I'm not so certain that they can be so demanding

1 hour ago, bowhunter said:

So the Vikings have $11 million contract on their 2nd team center? I'm not so certain that they can be so demanding

Only about $1M in dead money so they get $9M or so whether he's cut or traded. Minnesota doesn't have anything to lose, they're banking on one of 7 or so teams that need OL help will do some kinda deal. Could wait and see if he gets cut. He'd probably get more interest and maybe more cash or better terms than he would in a trade. Wouldn't have to trade anything back to Minn at that point but now risk getting into a bidding war for his services.

They're probably right about getting a deal. Maybe the Skins won't be able to work out a favorable deal, even if they are interested. I don't know that the cash would be an issue for what Sullivan would want but what the Vikes want in trade is. I suspect a skill position and/or possibly some kinda draft picks. IDK all speculation at this point.

I'm keeping an eye out on SD. Thinking Watt might become available, their starter last year till injuries knocked him down.

Guess not; just saw where they PUPed him. He'll go to Active/PUP at the start of the season so no help there.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The Vikings are very set at all skill positions, I'm sure the most likely compensation would be draft pick.

Quite possibly but their WRs not the most consistent last year and they lacked lack depth. I suppose the next question might be what you are willing to pay draft pick wise without a player in trade? It's going to be more than a conditional 7th.

I'm not as concerned about our situation at center as some, but those who are will probably be interested to know there are two centers on the market:

1. John Sullivan (as noted above)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/vikings-shopping-center-john-sullivan/

2. Patrick Lewis

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/29/seahawks-are-shopping-center-patrick-lewis/

IDK, a Center from Seattle? Not a very good position to draw from here. GB picked him originally as a UDFA, went to the Jags via Cleveland and Seattle picked him up a couple of years ago when Max Unger had some injuries and hung around after his trade. Anyway, Britt,drafted 2 years ago was their starting RT all year as a Rookie (2014) a failed experiment in pass protection; starting LG last year (all 16); another failed experiment but started some improvement. So he's now their starting Center and maybe that's the position he should have playing all along. Hunt was drafted this year and beat Lewis out for #2.

I'm guessing that they are trying to get something before they dump him no matter how little it is. On the bright side; PFF has graded him out as the #7 Center in Preseason so far.  They may not be the most accurate so I take it with a grain of salt but at least they don't show him at like 50. And he does have a few games under his belt (15 in two years).

Not saying he isn't worth kicking the tires on and be a similar deal as Stork. Young, no health issues. Not gonna walk in off the street and onto the field, though.He's more in the size range of KL & JL. 

14 hours ago, MartinC said:

Well the ones I played with certainly couldn't :-)

The 60 odd variations are the terminology for blocking assignments, things like the various combo blocks and picking up stunts etc.

its on page 27 (of the 365!) in this 49ers playbook 

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/pro-offense/1985-San-Francisco-49ers-West-Coast-Offense-Bill-Walsh.pdf

Here's a great quote from the playbook, especially for Skins fans who don't have much familiarity with how OL works:

"There is no group within any sport whose success is as dependent on effective communication as the OL in football. Physical skill and effort can make a great runner or receiver but when five or six of us are involved, no amount of talent can replace the ability to understand one another."

And then there is this, that might help allay fears about not having a C qualified to make the line calls:

"Call: A verbal signal given by a lineman to indicate particular blocking combination (sic) -- usually delivered at the LOS by the center, an uncovered lineman backside, or a covered lineman onside." (NOTE - the C is not the only one who makes line calls. When I played, especially if your OL outmatched the DL, there were times you'd come up to the line and just start pointing at guys, saying "you take him, I've got him, you take him" etc. It wasn't typical, but it happened.)

Interestingly, I found the line section had four sub-sections: basic descriptive terms (uncovered, tuff, void, offset, etc.), terms for techniques (slip, wheel, cut off, etc.), terms for more complicated assignments (mike, trap, cob, cow) and actual line calls (stay, green, over). To me this would make it easier to memorize since some of the terms are recognizable from childhood and others are just different terminology for familiar concepts. Thanks for a trip down memory lane - I'd forgotten how much fun a playbook could be. :)

15 hours ago, Johns Bass said:

One of the bigger mysteries from last year. Many other fans were wondering aloud also. He was 30, on the roster for 5 games and could certainly could snap better than Josh and block better than Kory. Maybe his ankle flared up but he's still an FA this year and I would think the ankle is/should be healed by now (it's been two years) but maybe not, maybe permanent IDK. Considering the current state of affairs I would think that the Redskins would've rang him up by now for at least a physical unless there are some kinda other issues.

That's a good point. If he is healthy and had 5 weeks of learning our playbook last year, what gives? I'd guess he's damaged goods in some other regard.

10 hours ago, MassSkinsFan said:

Thanks for a trip down memory lane - I'd forgotten how much fun a playbook could be. :)

Right! Many an hour spent learning the terminology and adjustments.

It tends to get more difficult though when the X's start to move ...

• TK locked this topic

Archived